Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The HP 11 G5 absolutely has Type-C ports, they're listed on the HP spec sheet on their website, I'm not going to dig for it now. Maybe they're USB 3.1 but they're the new small oval type connector.

Truga posted:

Afaik the current chomebook pixel does not do DP over usb-c? Every google hit is telling me that, but if they are lying to me I'll be a very happy camper.

And yeah, it's a very stiff connection, but at the same time the connector itself feels flimsy to the point I'm never sure I won't rip it off every time I pull it out at the end of workday :v:

We have Pixels plugged in to U3415W displays at work, pretty sure that is DP or mDP, I will check on friday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Well, poo poo. I guess I'm gonna invest into a usbc->DP soon then.

All the google groups questions about it were "google experts" saying this does not work. Of course *now* googling that takes me straight to googles usbc->dp adapter, best enjoyed with a chromebook pixel :v:

This is great news though, thanks!

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm fairly sure I've seen a Lenovo device that looks like what I want; maybe it was a Yoga. Speaking of which, has their whole spyware controversy subsided or is that still a thing? I realize Windows 10 is pretty much just as "spyware" as anything Lenovo did so it's probably a moot point.

Possibly the X1 Yoga. I have the i7/16G/1080p version and I'm pretty happy with it.

I can't comment either way about the spyware thing because I run Linux.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah, definitely going for some variant of Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga. Drooling over the X1 with OLED but it's just out of my price range, and the tech probably needs some time to mature anyway. (Or so I'll keep telling myself.)

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Hadlock posted:

The HP 11 G5 absolutely has Type-C ports, they're listed on the HP spec sheet on their website, I'm not going to dig for it now. Maybe they're USB 3.1 but they're the new small oval type connector.

We have Pixels plugged in to U3415W displays at work, pretty sure that is DP or mDP, I will check on friday

http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/hp-chromebook-11-g5-features-price

Yeah, I'm not seeing the Type C ports on the G5. There's definitely not one on the right side, and that thing in the back by the hinge on the left side is probably a lock slot. I've looked at as many photos as I can find and I haven't read any writeup that mentions Type C. I'd think they'd put that front and center, but everything they've written about the G5 has focused on it being cheap, with an optional touchscreen and ARC support.

As Truga discovered, you can definitely get DP out from the Pixel 2's Type C port via Alt Modes; see these accessories available for sale (that I've had since I bought my LS):
https://store.google.com/product/usb_type_c_to_displayport_cable
https://store.google.com/product/usb_type_c_to_hdmi_adapter

Here's my Pixel LS connected to an ASUS MB169C+ (amazon.com/gp/product/B01C83BE06), so, native DP-over-Type C:

The Pixel OG of course has a miniDP but only a couple of 2.0 USB ports.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
TL:DR ==} buying a terrible computer for my mom on very short notice. Are ACER and HP as bad as I remember? Is Dell better? Mostly asking about fiability here

blehhh so my mom is buying new laptop (or may be a desktop) tomorow and she decided to ask me for advice tonight. I have until tomorow morning to give her advice and that's not long enough for me to do any real research on this because I have to take care of the baby so I'm turning to you guys for help. Thank you in advance for taking a few minutes

She has to buy it at best buy canada (warranty money) so the choices are quite limited. She has about 1200$ to spend and she wants a big touch screen (15'' if possible) an i5, 8GB of ram and a DVD player. She's going to use this to do mom stuff like invite me in terrible games on facebook, watch some DVDs to help her learn english, pay her bills and that's probably it. DURABILITY is probably #1 the main thing I'm looking for help with because she keeps buying terrible terrible laptops that break.

She's looking at these right now. Which one would be the least horrible choice (keep in mind : favor durability)

Acer Aspire R 14 (R5-471T-534X)
Intel® Core™ i5-6200U processor Dual-core 2.30 GHz
14" Full HD (1920 x 1080) 16:9
Intel® HD Graphics 520 with Shared Memory
8 GB, LPDDR3
256 GB SSD

HP envy x360 (15-W158CA)
i5-6200U processor
15.6" diagonal FHD IPS LED-backlit touch screen (1920 x 1080)
8 GB DDR3L SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)
500 GB 5400 rpm SATA SSHD

DELL inspiron 7000
i7-6500U
15.6'' screen (1920 x 1080)
8GB ddr3 ram
1 TB HDD

oh god now she's adding an "all in one" HP computer that has the whole thing in the screen. Is this as bad as I imagine in terms of durability?

HP pavillon 23-Q119

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 30, 2016

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

My 5 year old laptop got kicked in the face today. Money's tight but I don't want to buy something worse than what it's replacing.

Old laptop: HP 4530s, seemed like a steal on black friday 2012. Now I hate HP forever. 2nd generation i5 means what today? Are 5th generation i3s better?

Most taxing use is CivV, most common is browsing the internet. I think the AMD card in the probook used to be necessary for Civ V? but it looks like Intel integrated is sufficient for that.

I'm seeing refurbished Thinkpads with i3s for $314, or i5s for $411. (Which Thinkpad series do I need to avoid? IIRC T and X are the "good" ones but are L/E/whatever decent?)

Or an inspiron i5-5200U for $329?

Are any of these obvious (to you guys) mistakes, is there somewhere else I should be looking?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

kaschei posted:

Old laptop: HP 4530s, seemed like a steal on black friday 2012. Now I hate HP forever. 2nd generation i5 means what today? Are 5th generation i3s better?

No, i3 probably slightly slower still. Current gen i5 is maybe 15-20% faster than Sandy Bridge. You do get better battery life and substantially better GPU.

The big place where you get performance improvement is in a SATA3 SSD in day to day clicking on things

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

KingColliwog posted:

TL:DR ==} buying a terrible computer for my mom on very short notice. Are ACER and HP as bad as I remember? Is Dell better? Mostly asking about fiability here

blehhh so my mom is buying new laptop (or may be a desktop) tomorow and she decided to ask me for advice tonight. I have until tomorow morning to give her advice and that's not long enough for me to do any real research on this because I have to take care of the baby so I'm turning to you guys for help. Thank you in advance for taking a few minutes

She has to buy it at best buy canada (warranty money) so the choices are quite limited. She has about 1200$ to spend and she wants a big touch screen (15'' if possible) an i5, 8GB of ram and a DVD player. She's going to use this to do mom stuff like invite me in terrible games on facebook, watch some DVDs to help her learn english, pay her bills and that's probably it. DURABILITY is probably #1 the main thing I'm looking for help with because she keeps buying terrible terrible laptops that break.

She's looking at these right now. Which one would be the least horrible choice (keep in mind : favor durability)

Acer Aspire R 14 (R5-471T-534X)
Intel® Core™ i5-6200U processor Dual-core 2.30 GHz
14" Full HD (1920 x 1080) 16:9
Intel® HD Graphics 520 with Shared Memory
8 GB, LPDDR3
256 GB SSD

HP envy x360 (15-W158CA)
i5-6200U processor
15.6" diagonal FHD IPS LED-backlit touch screen (1920 x 1080)
8 GB DDR3L SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)
500 GB 5400 rpm SATA SSHD

DELL inspiron 7000
i7-6500U
15.6'' screen (1920 x 1080)
8GB ddr3 ram
1 TB HDD

oh god now she's adding an "all in one" HP computer that has the whole thing in the screen. Is this as bad as I imagine in terms of durability?

HP pavillon 23-Q119

Ok, um, I'll see if I can help. First, what is "fiability?" Was that a really weird typo of "durability" as you wrote later on? If so, and you genuinely need something durable, the go-to option has been Panasonic Toughbooks. They are huge clunky bricks though, and are probably not what you're looking for, but are nevertheless perhaps the most durable laptops. Thinkpads are also known for durability, but this also extends to many "business-class" or "education" laptops, since they're often handled roughly as they're owned by someone else. Honestly though, why does she keep destroying laptops? In almost 25 years I've never destroyed a laptop.

Next, brands kind of don't matter because laptops can be made by one party (an OEM) and branded something else. You can certainly get good Acers, HPs, Dells, etc. In this case, I don't think the brand of laptop matters since the "durability issue" is probably related to the user.

Of those laptops, the first two are of the convertible design, which is fine, but I'm not sure if they're going to be more or less durable for her than a regular-hinged laptop (like the 3rd one you listed.) I guess a 360 hinge is less likely to break because it's made to go all the way around maybe?

There's nothing wrong with that all-in-one, but if that kind of thing is in the cards I think you have two choices: go with a cheap laptop so that when she destroys it she won't be out much, or go with a desktop. If she doesn't need a laptop, get any desktop and pair it with a large touch display. It'll do what she wants and there will be less for her to drop or whatever.

As far as specs are concerned you don't need an i5 or 8 GB of RAM to watch video, play browser games, and browse the Web (to pay bills or whatever.) All 4 of your choices are overkill. I understand you're under time pressure, but I think you're going at this the wrong way. Can you get her to postpone her purchase so you have more time?

My serious recommendation is to watch her DVDs on a set-top player and big-screen TV, and get a Chromebook (yes, I'm recommending Chromebooks to everyone.) The latter will do everything you mentioned, be secure, and be effectively maintenance-free. They also tend to be cheap, so she can drop it or do whatever the hell she does to destroy laptops.

kaschei posted:

My 5 year old laptop got kicked in the face today. Money's tight but I don't want to buy something worse than what it's replacing.

Most taxing use is CivV, most common is browsing the internet. I think the AMD card in the probook used to be necessary for Civ V? but it looks like Intel integrated is sufficient for that.

I'm seeing refurbished Thinkpads with i3s for $314, or i5s for $411. (Which Thinkpad series do I need to avoid? IIRC T and X are the "good" ones but are L/E/whatever decent?)

Or an inspiron i5-5200U for $329?

Are any of these obvious (to you guys) mistakes, is there somewhere else I should be looking?

Most non-Atom-based Intel CPUs are great nowadays. It's one thing if you're doing high-end gaming, but for everything else you'll probably be fine with an i3. I'm not an expert on Civ or all the different Thinkpad models, but my recommendation for you, since you don't have strict system requirements and don't want to waste money, would be to take a peek at the various offerings at Woot, an Amazon-owned outlet (http://computers.woot.com/?ref=cp_gh_cp_4). Check out the various models available for sale and then just Google the specs and Civ benchmarks. This way you're not stuck looking for a specific model and get a better price on a refurbished system.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Atomizer posted:

Ok, um, I'll see if I can help. First, what is "fiability?" Was that a really weird typo of "durability" as you wrote later on? If so, and you genuinely need something durable, the go-to option has been Panasonic Toughbooks. They are huge clunky bricks though, and are probably not what you're looking for, but are nevertheless perhaps the most durable laptops. Thinkpads are also known for durability, but this also extends to many "business-class" or "education" laptops, since they're often handled roughly as they're owned by someone else. Honestly though, why does she keep destroying laptops? In almost 25 years I've never destroyed a laptop.

Next, brands kind of don't matter because laptops can be made by one party (an OEM) and branded something else. You can certainly get good Acers, HPs, Dells, etc. In this case, I don't think the brand of laptop matters since the "durability issue" is probably related to the user.

Of those laptops, the first two are of the convertible design, which is fine, but I'm not sure if they're going to be more or less durable for her than a regular-hinged laptop (like the 3rd one you listed.) I guess a 360 hinge is less likely to break because it's made to go all the way around maybe?

There's nothing wrong with that all-in-one, but if that kind of thing is in the cards I think you have two choices: go with a cheap laptop so that when she destroys it she won't be out much, or go with a desktop. If she doesn't need a laptop, get any desktop and pair it with a large touch display. It'll do what she wants and there will be less for her to drop or whatever.

As far as specs are concerned you don't need an i5 or 8 GB of RAM to watch video, play browser games, and browse the Web (to pay bills or whatever.) All 4 of your choices are overkill. I understand you're under time pressure, but I think you're going at this the wrong way. Can you get her to postpone her purchase so you have more time?

My serious recommendation is to watch her DVDs on a set-top player and big-screen TV, and get a Chromebook (yes, I'm recommending Chromebooks to everyone.) The latter will do everything you mentioned, be secure, and be effectively maintenance-free. They also tend to be cheap, so she can drop it or do whatever the hell she does to destroy laptops.

thx. Fiability/durability as in good component that have less chance of frying. I doubt she'll drop the laptop since it probably won't move all that much!

I know she doesn't need something that powerful, but that's what she wants. She does not understand that her computers get slow because she put terrible stuff on them, not because they don't have good hardware. There's 0% chance of me convincing her otherwise. I've been trying for years to get her to buy cheap laptops but it won't happen.

I'll probably try to push her toward a desktop since I think she'll be happier with that and they tend to survive longer, but if she decides to pick a laptop out of those three, is there any reason to pick one over the other or should they all have more or less the same lifespan if used correctly

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

KingColliwog posted:

thx. Fiability/durability as in good component that have less chance of frying. I doubt she'll drop the laptop since it probably won't move all that much!

I know she doesn't need something that powerful, but that's what she wants. She does not understand that her computers get slow because she put terrible stuff on them, not because they don't have good hardware. There's 0% chance of me convincing her otherwise. I've been trying for years to get her to buy cheap laptops but it won't happen.

I'll probably try to push her toward a desktop since I think she'll be happier with that and they tend to survive longer, but if she decides to pick a laptop out of those three, is there any reason to pick one over the other or should they all have more or less the same lifespan if used correctly

"Fixability?" "Viability?" I really don't think she's been the victim of multiple instance of laptop hardware failure. It's either user-caused (physical damage) or perhaps electrical damage from power surges?

By all means, if she's fine with a desktop then go with that; you can get her a "cute" SFF system. Then if you ever need to fix anything it's still going to be easier than trying to repair any laptop.

Of those three laptops, they're not that dissimilar in terms of specs, but I'd say take the Acer because it has an SSD over the HP's hybrid and the Dell's HDD. The Dell doesn't appear to have a touchscreen, and the other two mostly differ in display size.

I still think you should just get her a Chromebook and wait it out until she gets used to it and realizes it will pretty much always work perfectly. The Dell Chromebook 13 is excellent, has a touchscreen option, and is well within your budget even at the upper end (and you don't even need more than the base Celeron, but the i3 will be a fine upgrade.)

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
only other thing i'd say for your mom is to buy an external DVD player and avoid laptops with an internal DVD player like the plague. at that budget you can definitely go thin and lightweight, which you can't if you have a dvd player in there.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Dell Latitude E6440 battery life = lol

Been unplugged for 13 minutes, down to 80% already. Windows claims 2:40 left.

edit: 9:39am, got the 7% left warning from Windows and plugged back in.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 30, 2016

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Is woot's "Factory recertified" the same as micro center's? Is recertified really better than refurb? I thought it was a weasel word.

Edit: and there's absolutely no reason to look at amd right? Even Apus seem to underperform integrated graphics

kaschei fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 30, 2016

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

kaschei posted:

Is woot's "Factory recertified" the same as micro center's? Is recertified really better than refurb? I thought it was a weasel word.

Edit: and there's absolutely no reason to look at amd right? Even Apus seem to underperform integrated graphics

Recert/refurb aren't "regulated" terms so you'd have to dig deeper to see what they mean, but for all intents and purposes you could take them to mean the same thing. You're not going to find the same product available as both refurbished and recertified, except if two different places list the thing differently. It's possible for the refurbishment process to be done by the OE or by a third party, which further complicates things. It's also possible that a device wasn't actually damaged, just opened and returned, and could be "recertified" as in inspected and repackaged and is effectively "new open box."

I have purchased tons of refurbs, specifically from Woot and specifically PC hardware, and I can't think of a single issue. If it's a newer [consumer] device they're usually in very good condition; older devices, particularly business laptops can be a little more dinged up but you're not going to get something actually damaged, like with a broken display or whatever. Plus there's still a brief warranty period so anything actually wrong should be pretty obvious right away and would be covered. I even bought a random "grab-bag" 5+ year old laptop from Woot last year and it works great; a little blemished but I upgraded to Win10 and it's solid.

AMD's CPU/APU stuff isn't really competitive with high-end Intel chips (in terms of CPU performance.) It's not bad, just not as performant or power-efficient. The A10 (and possibly A8) APUs are probably worth considering though; they have decent graphics performance for being integrated (they still generally lead Intel in integrated graphics in terms of the chips that are readily available, but Intel is catching up; see the Iris Pro 580.) The lower-class APUs are probably not worth your time if you're looking for graphics performance. Pick a specific laptop though and look up benchmarks for that hardware; you may be looking at a device that is perfectly fine for your uses. You shouldn't completely discount AMD hardware though.

For example, I have a (refurbished, from Woot) HP Envy with an AMD A10-4600M APU, which has Radeon 7660G integrated graphics; not only did I receive it in "like new" condition, it's OK for lower-end games, although it can't play Civ V (http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-7660G.69830.0.html). You could use this (http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphics-Cards.13849.0.html) as a tool (restrict to Civ V or whatever other games you play) to see if a specific refurb can run the game, or to see generally where you should be aiming.

Howmuch
Apr 29, 2008
I need to replace my work laptop.
Work IT said I could get anything from HP or Lenovo.

Is there anything from HP or Lenovo that any of you can recommend that has:
  • support for 32GB+ of ram
  • something beefier than an Intel HD graphics gard

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Howmuch posted:

Anything?

The P70 is fairly new and would meet your requirements, although it's not cheap.

Howmuch
Apr 29, 2008

Eletriarnation posted:

Anything?

The P70 is fairly new and would meet your requirements, although it's not cheap.

This one looks perfect.
I guess I'll have to see if "anything" means "anything". Thanks.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
P50 is also good if you actually want to carry it around a lot.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

MrPablo posted:

Possibly the X1 Yoga. I have the i7/16G/1080p version and I'm pretty happy with it.

I can't comment either way about the spyware thing because I run Linux.

This would be super interesting if the better displays weren't that expensive. I' a bit tempted to wait for a Surface 5. Having a tablet for taking notes and teaching classes is very useful, so I definitely want that. And I don't think there's anything besides the Yoga line and the Surface which can be used as a normal laptop when I need it for something else.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Howmuch posted:

I need to replace my work laptop.

Is there anything from HP or Lenovo that any of you can recommend that has:
  • support for 32GB+ of ram
  • something beefier than an Intel HD graphics gard

T460p is worth considering if you want 14" and a mere 32GB, no more, is acceptable.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

So I finally have enough to replace my old laptop (a asus g51 from best buy that lasted me like 8 years)

My budget is ~$600 which looks like could net me a used version of something similar. All I really care about is if the laptop is sturdy and decent at playing video games.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

DrManiac posted:

So I finally have enough to replace my old laptop (a asus g51 from best buy that lasted me like 8 years)

My budget is ~$600 which looks like could net me a used version of something similar. All I really care about is if the laptop is sturdy and decent at playing video games.

Good luck with video games on that budget. Save an extra two hundred and buy an inspiron 15 with a 960m. It's poo poo at plating video games and plasticy as hell, but it's the best you can afford unless youre willing to wait till September and double your budget. If you want sturdy as well you'll need to spend upwards of $1500.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

DrManiac posted:

You're going to have to be specific when talking about games. You can get something to play Minecraft, LoL, and WoW for that price, but if you expect to play any demanding games you need to look harder.

The Lenovo Ideapad Yxxx series is decently sturdy and intended for gaming. Their current models are Y700 (http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y700-series/) but I have a Y500 from a few years ago that's quite decent with an i7 and dual 650M GPUs.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Is the OP up to date? I'm looking to buy a new laptop somewhere around the price range of $1000 give or take. I want something with an i7. I dont know what to get in terms of graphics card, I don't game now because I dont really have a computer that can but it would be nice to be able to start and I'm into emulation, would like to have something that can reliably handle wii emulation and just will overall last me a while. I wish I knew more to say but I dont really know what I want except that I have money to burn soon but can only spend it on a laptop (it's a long story) so I want to get something good.

Can someone tell me... uhhh.... what I want to look for in a laptop? I'm real inpatient so unless its coming overnight I'll probably eat the extra cost and buy it in a store unless the difference in price is insane compared to buying online.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What else is it for besides emulation?

Is it going to stay at home?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Atomizer posted:

You're going to have to be specific when talking about games. You can get something to play Minecraft, LoL, and WoW for that price, but if you expect to play any demanding games you need to look harder.

The Lenovo Ideapad Yxxx series is decently sturdy and intended for gaming. Their current models are Y700 (http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y700-series/) but I have a Y500 from a few years ago that's quite decent with an i7 and dual 650M GPUs.

lol @ calling ideapads sturdy. I've had to have mine repaired literally a dozen times because various components keep failing on me, or the hinges break. I treat computers quite delicately, and I literally repair computers for my job.

Don't buy ideapads.

It's also a generally terrible time to buy laptops in general. Wait until after summer when mobile pascal cards start appearing.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Atomizer posted:

From the OP

me posted:

Many consumer laptops have plastic frames that flex and creak, crack and break after only a year or two of use. Many, if not most ThinkPad users are happily chugging away on their thinkpad three, five years after purchase, generally only retiring them when their internals have become woefully obsolete.

ThinkPad laptops are completely seperate from Lenovo "Ideapads".

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Hadlock posted:

From the OP

Yes, I am familiar that Ideapads are not Thinkpads; I have both.

The Iron Rose posted:

lol @ calling ideapads sturdy. I've had to have mine repaired literally a dozen times because various components keep failing on me, or the hinges break. I treat computers quite delicately, and I literally repair computers for my job.

Don't buy ideapads.

I am sorry you're having such bad luck with yours, but mine is in one piece. Not sure what to tell you, man. :shrug:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Atomizer posted:

Yes, I am familiar that Ideapads are not Thinkpads; I have both.

I am sorry you're having such bad luck with yours, but mine is in one piece. Not sure what to tell you, man. :shrug:

Does yours ever go into a bag or do you just carry it across the hallway from one desk to the other?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

blowfish posted:

Does yours ever go into a bag or do you just carry it across the hallway from one desk to the other?

actually, that is a fair point. I used that ideapad to take notes with all the time, bring it to work because we play overwatch at lunch, and have put it into checked baggage a number of times. even if you're careful that'll take a toll.

If you're just moving it around the house and don't anticipate taking it outside of the house much it'll probably do you fine. still plasticky and poo poo and not durable in the slightest, but if you don't expose it to much that can damage the laptop it probably won't be a problem.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Mu Zeta posted:

What else is it for besides emulation?

Is it going to stay at home?

Well I want to play games, it's just the last game I played was skyrim (on kinda crappy settings on my current laptop) and I don't know anything about modern games. I figured once I get a new laptop I will find out about new games if I'm able to play them. Right now I can't.

Otherwise...uhhh... Hmm... Netflix and kodi I guess. And I do translations of essays and stuff. Normal internet stuff.

It's going to stay home for the first 6 months, after that it will be going to another country and moving around a lot.

My current laptop is an i3 (I don't know what i3 though) and after that I realized I don't wanna joke around with entry level anymore. Where I lived though computers cost twice as much as in America. Now I'm back in America for a while and have a lot of pension money coming my way. Most of it is going into savings, some is set for when I move back. But I figured $1000ish could go to a new laptop. I'm very clumsy and I drop things. My last laptop has a screen that doesn't work unless I wack it cuz it's taken a lot of falls just from me being clumsy so even if it stays home I need something sturdy.

I don't know exactly what I want to do with it, but I want the option to do whatever when something comes up that I didn't think of.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

BrainDance posted:

Well I want to play games, it's just the last game I played was skyrim (on kinda crappy settings on my current laptop) and I don't know anything about modern games. I figured once I get a new laptop I will find out about new games if I'm able to play them. Right now I can't.

Otherwise...uhhh... Hmm... Netflix and kodi I guess. And I do translations of essays and stuff. Normal internet stuff.

It's going to stay home for the first 6 months, after that it will be going to another country and moving around a lot.

My current laptop is an i3 (I don't know what i3 though) and after that I realized I don't wanna joke around with entry level anymore. Where I lived though computers cost twice as much as in America. Now I'm back in America for a while and have a lot of pension money coming my way. Most of it is going into savings, some is set for when I move back. But I figured $1000ish could go to a new laptop. I'm very clumsy and I drop things. My last laptop has a screen that doesn't work unless I wack it cuz it's taken a lot of falls just from me being clumsy so even if it stays home I need something sturdy.

I don't know exactly what I want to do with it, but I want the option to do whatever when something comes up that I didn't think of.

In that case then you really want to save up and wait until september. At your price point, you don't get the option of both powerful and durable, and if you want to play games you really want to wait a few months for the next set of dGPUs, which promise some pretty massive performance increases. Live without for a few months and save up if you plan to game, you won't regret it. If you don't really care about gaming, then that's another story.

By way of example, $1000 will get you a laptop with a 960m, which can almost but not quite run AAA games at 1080p on the lowest settings. it's a really lovely experience and i put up with it because i've had this computer for awhile now.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

It's insane how big of a gap is between 970M and 960M. 970M runs most games comfortably on high settings but 960 apparently struggles even on low settings.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

actually, that is a fair point. I used that ideapad to take notes with all the time, bring it to work because we play overwatch at lunch, and have put it into checked baggage a number of times. even if you're careful that'll take a toll.

If you're just moving it around the house and don't anticipate taking it outside of the house much it'll probably do you fine. still plasticky and poo poo and not durable in the slightest, but if you don't expose it to much that can damage the laptop it probably won't be a problem.

To answer blowfish's question, it's just for around the house. I barely have time to game as it is, and I certainly have no time to do so while at work. If I need to kill some time while I'm out I can live with just playing Android games on my phone, and I have much more portable laptops if I absolutely must have one with me. (I carry a thin & light Toshiba Chromebook 2 in my backpack and it barely feels like it's there.)

The Ideapad's definitely not Thinkpad-sturdy, but it works for it's intended purpose of a quite-reasonably-priced gaming laptop. That's why I'd still recommend it for that unless there's some other go-to mid-range gaming laptop. I'm sure the Ideapad Yxxx line is fine for taking to LAN parties or whatever, but I wouldn't suggest dragging it along to school or work as your main general-purpose system; even though the Y500 I have is only 15.6", it's still quite bulky & heavy.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

BrainDance posted:

Is the OP up to date? I'm looking to buy a new laptop somewhere around the price range of $1000 give or take. I want something with an i7. I dont know what to get in terms of graphics card, I don't game now because I dont really have a computer that can but it would be nice to be able to start and I'm into emulation, would like to have something that can reliably handle wii emulation and just will overall last me a while. I wish I knew more to say but I dont really know what I want except that I have money to burn soon but can only spend it on a laptop (it's a long story) so I want to get something good.

Can someone tell me... uhhh.... what I want to look for in a laptop? I'm real inpatient so unless its coming overnight I'll probably eat the extra cost and buy it in a store unless the difference in price is insane compared to buying online.

Wii emulation (as well as Gamecube and PS2 emulation) is heavily dependent on a strong CPU, rather than a good graphics card. If you want to be able to play Wii games you should make sure NOT to get a laptop that has an ultra low voltage processor - you can tell if a CPU has this as it'll have the suffix u, e.g my processor is a 5300-u. These processors are designed to be less powerful and conserve battery life. I've still managed to play Xenoblade decently on this processor, but it's not perfect. A laptop with a good graphics card should probably have a strong processor as well anyway, but it's worth knowing.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
For emulation, a fast dual core would probably be your best bet. Graphics are quite primitive even in WiiU so it shouldn't be as huge of an issue. For reference, my Sandy-based i7-2640M laptop is rather useless for Wii emulation, and it's actually still faster than a lot of new low voltage CPUs.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

The Iron Rose posted:

In that case then you really want to save up and wait until september. At your price point, you don't get the option of both powerful and durable, and if you want to play games you really want to wait a few months for the next set of dGPUs, which promise some pretty massive performance increases. Live without for a few months and save up if you plan to game, you won't regret it. If you don't really care about gaming, then that's another story.

By way of example, $1000 will get you a laptop with a 960m, which can almost but not quite run AAA games at 1080p on the lowest settings. it's a really lovely experience and i put up with it because i've had this computer for awhile now.

This is doable, it's pension money from a foreign country so it won't even be in my hands for a month. I don't care too much about gaming but I want the option. I'm just so clueless on this, like you guys were talking about the big difference between a 960m and a 970m, see, I don't know that stuff and I feel like if I go in blind I'm gonna make some kind of mistake and get one (or more) things wrong. Like I know there are multiple i7s but I don't know the difference and what is best. I just know that for emulation I gotta go with Intel. I didn't even know what s 960m was until you guys mentioned it and I googled it. I assume nvidea's mobile cards are the best then?

The $1000 is just a rough price point, I can pay more or less within reason. What's the price point for basically top of the line excluding $3000 super gaming beasts (if those even exist)?

I know it sounds like I don't even need a great laptop but stuff comes up. Like a dx12 build of dolphin came out, I go to try it and then realize my graphics card has obviously no support for that. I would just google but like I said, until you guys mentioned this stuff I don't even know what to google. Sorry for sounding like I need hand holding through this but... I do. I read the op and learned a lot but there are still things I'm lost about.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

BrainDance posted:

This is doable, it's pension money from a foreign country so it won't even be in my hands for a month. I don't care too much about gaming but I want the option. I'm just so clueless on this, like you guys were talking about the big difference between a 960m and a 970m, see, I don't know that stuff and I feel like if I go in blind I'm gonna make some kind of mistake and get one (or more) things wrong. Like I know there are multiple i7s but I don't know the difference and what is best. I just know that for emulation I gotta go with Intel. I didn't even know what s 960m was until you guys mentioned it and I googled it. I assume nvidea's mobile cards are the best then?

The $1000 is just a rough price point, I can pay more or less within reason. What's the price point for basically top of the line excluding $3000 super gaming beasts (if those even exist)?

I know it sounds like I don't even need a great laptop but stuff comes up. Like a dx12 build of dolphin came out, I go to try it and then realize my graphics card has obviously no support for that. I would just google but like I said, until you guys mentioned this stuff I don't even know what to google. Sorry for sounding like I need hand holding through this but... I do. I read the op and learned a lot but there are still things I'm lost about.

Well, for gaming if you're buying now you really want a 970m instead of a 960m. However, new graphics cards have already come out for desktops and they will likely make their way to laptops in the next two or three months. These have lower voltages and significantly improved performance capability when compared to the previous (i.e. current) generation, which means they're cheaper, promise better battery life, and will be significantly better for laptops.

Unfortunately there are so many different models of laptops out there that providing one specific model is generally quite difficult to do. While there are a couple standouts on the lower end of the spectrum - if you want a cheap computer with a 960m I would strongly recommend the Inspiron 15 over the Y500, it comes with a nice SSD and it's cheaper at $800 - there are unfortunately fewer standouts for the higher ($1200+) range.

In terms of CPUs, if you want a good CPU you need one that is not ultra low voltage. Generally this means avoiding ultrabooks and prioritizing gaming laptops (big, bulky, heavy, expensive) workstation (bigger, bulkier, heavier, fuckoff expensive). So long as the CPU model starts with a 4, 5, or 6 and does not end in a U suffix you should be alright. Check here before you purchase anything though.

tl;dr wait until september until 1070m cards come out in laptops. If that's not an option, get a laptop with a 970m if at all possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

BrainDance posted:

There are quite a few taxonomical weird things that you'll kind of have to parse through to figure out what's what with laptops. Depending on what emulation you're doing (and I have no idea if emulation is improved by more parallelism) the usual top of the line CPUs for laptops are going to be XXXXHQ models - these are real quad core processors with hyper threading.

You lose out on + 50% performance between a 960M and 970M, and considering the usual price disparity between one model and the other (you can find them at a $200 difference), it's usually more wise to pinch your pennies for a little longer to get the 970M.

And gaming laptops aren't really well known for their battery life (not really going to be the big thing in the new ones coming out either despite improvements), which is more appealing:

Thin and warm (get a $15 cooling pad to use with games, very worth it) for portability.

Bulky and less warm (better ventilation, sometimes better battery life) for a desktop replacement.

This will help us out. I have a "thin and light" model with a 970M that I love, but I keep it plugged in all the time and have a cooling pad to help it play games smoothly, which is fine by me since I only game at home. The ~2.5hr battery life is probably a deal breaker for many, but it's hard to get better than that with gaming laptops.

Also please don't actually game with the computer on your lap.

E: I think my laptop probably qualified for "top of the line" at one point without being ridiculous - it was about $1,600. It's the MSI GS60 with a nice Broadwell i7 HQ CPU and 970M. It's played everything I've thrown at it with grace at 1080p, although not necessarily with settings maxed out.

EE: are there any features that you'll want to make use out of? Extra drive bays, USB C, etc?

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 4, 2016