Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
Okay, so, the rundown of known interests for Bastion now includes

1) manipulating children
2) abetting crazy terrorists out to punish the world
3) providing free (unlicensed, experimental) medical care
4) developing safe, affordable toys for all

I feel like he either has too many hobbies, or else is aiming to be hosed-Up Kasslyne Santa Claus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
It's very simple, he staged the Silver monster release in order to create a Krampus. :v:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Wonderslug posted:

1) manipulating children

I feel like he either has too many hobbies, or else is aiming to be hosed-Up Kasslyne Santa Claus.

Don't forget 5) Indecent exposure

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Is it really indecent if you like what you see?

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty

Wonderslug posted:

1) manipulating children

He's also good at playing the piano.

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty
Also, I wouldn't answer my worshipers either if they spent tons of money on cool inventions but their statue to me looked kinda like it was some five year old's half-finished claymation project.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
check out those sweet murals in the top-left. what's their deal???

(current page link)

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
They look like senet beasts. I definitely see that weird creature that Duane was forced to kill from the first chapter.

e: A wandering root. That's what it was called.

kinmik fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 10, 2016

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Oh poo poo, the khert tit bird is the deity of the black tongues.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Maybe they shouldn't have been so mean to their god's new boyfriend.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I know Duane and dude whose legs are invisible and his name escapes me will probably never have a proper heart to heart so I'm kinda hoping the latter finds Duane's book now.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
Well this answers some questions.

Also jeeze Bastion he's standing right there, gosh.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah that's just plain inconsiderate.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I find it endearing how desperate for approval Bastion is.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Yeah that's just plain inconsiderate.

he doesn't feel though :buddy:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Yeah, I wonder if Timofey hasn't grown beyond Bastion's expectations, in the way Dwayne apparently has (Meeting face-to-face with the being he worships and all)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Captain Bravo posted:

Yeah, I wonder if Timofey hasn't grown beyond Bastion's expectations, in the way Dwayne apparently has (Meeting face-to-face with the being he worships and all)

Is that what they're calling it now?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Bastion's childhood science fair projects must've been the talk of the academy.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Woah, poo poo, "Adeliers" plural? If he messed with the man's family, hoo boy, the wrath this guy is calling down...

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

FAT BATMAN posted:

Woah, poo poo, "Adeliers" plural? If he messed with the man's family, hoo boy, the wrath this guy is calling down...

They're implying that the guy that stabbed him in the back after he helped kill Duane is Lemuel.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

akulanization posted:

They're implying that the guy that stabbed him in the back after he helped kill Duane is Lemuel.

There've been hints that Lemuel was in on the hit, but I think this is the first time it's been implied that he also turned on the rest of the hitmen.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

T.G. Xarbala posted:

There've been hints that Lemuel was in on the hit, but I think this is the first time it's been implied that he also turned on the rest of the hitmen.

It seems like he might have been okay with killing Duane, but he was markedly not okay with whatever Bastion was doing to Duane's soul post mortem.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

akulanization posted:

It seems like he might have been okay with killing Duane, but he was markedly not okay with whatever Bastion was doing to Duane's soul post mortem.

Maybe less "okay" and more being forced into it by the conspiracy. He was clearly torn up about it in the days leading up to the assassination. You're probably right about the magical crime against humanity being his tipping point though.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Maybe less "okay" and more being forced into it by the conspiracy. He was clearly torn up about it in the days leading up to the assassination. You're probably right about the magical crime against humanity being his tipping point though.

I'm sure the death of the daughter went over well.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Not to mention just generally if I'm taking out a hit on someone the last thing I want to hear is that the assassin is gonna make the mark magically immortal afterwards. Sort of defeats the point.

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty
Between how that left middle panel looks and Bastion's earlier problems, I'm wondering if he tried to glamour himself up as Lemuel for some reason.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

"We killed your brother in the name of political expediency."

"Harsh but fair."

"Also we killed your niece and one of our guys purposefully and deliberately damned your brother's soul to wander the earth instead of finding spiritual release in the afterlife we know to exist because our scientists can literally look into it."

"Wait, what?"

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty
So I'm getting the impression the Lady's particularly good at telling people exactly what they want to hear.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

VictorGrunn posted:

So I'm getting the impression the Lady's particularly good at telling people exactly what they want to hear.

Duane really wanted to gently caress a bird, huh?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Darth Walrus posted:

Duane really wanted to gently caress a bird, huh?

A bird with tits. That's important.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
ok now y'all had fun & hope for a few pages. time for the get poo poo on train to start rolling again.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Chair In A Basket posted:

ok now y'all had fun & hope for a few pages. time for the get poo poo on train to start rolling again.

I'm glad the smoke eels didn't take you away, Chair.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Welp, the poo poo boulder is rolling downhill officially again.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Maybe Duane will meet Elan on one of his Khert excursions?

:smith:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm not sure what there is left for Elka to do. All she can really do is skedaddle with Toma and her new recruit. There's no way for her to save the town, the most she could do is run around telling people to run for it.

The rest of the cast has already decided to leave town chasing the silver, so they're not going to help. This whole place is turbofucked.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm not sure what there is left for Elka to do. All she can really do is skedaddle with Toma and her new recruit. There's no way for her to save the town, the most she could do is run around telling people to run for it.

The rest of the cast has already decided to leave town chasing the silver, so they're not going to help. This whole place is turbofucked.

Elan's dead dude. Also Duane'd probably jump at the chance to kill some Crescians acting exactly as evil as he believes them to be.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Some context from Ashley's Patreon:

quote:

This was a difficult scene to handle. We always want absolution for a person, especially one as troubled and flawed as Elan. But villains and the injustices they bring about often deny us that satisfaction. I'm not sure Elan found his peace in the end. He's reaching for that badge - for some meaning - right until his fatal moment. Do you think he made the most of the time he stole? Or was it all for naught? Did he make a difference to Elka and Toma? Did he make any dent at all in the troubles of this troubled town?

Perhaps he did. Perhaps he healed his heart entirely independent of any Black Tongue pymary. But the surgery was bloody. And the patient won't survive.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Sometime shortly after he released Nier, Taro Yoko was asked during an interview whether or not he felt his stories were depressing because so many of his character's died. His response, as far as I'm able to recall it, was something along the lines of "What matters isn't whether they lived or died, but whether or not they achieved salvation."

It's one of my favorite creator quotes and I feel like it applies pretty succinctly to Elan's character arc.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

He's not dead 'til he hits the ground, drat it. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

He's not dead 'til he hits the ground, drat it. :mad:

Uh, I have a feeling you haven't realized its a 4 page update and just looked at the first page. You need to look at the three following pages.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jul 5, 2016