Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

cr0y posted:

2) The cheese - This is the big one for me, I know its mozzarella but I can't find anything close to it, its salty as all hell and puts down an Exxon Valdez level of oil but hot drat is it amazing.

The picture kinda reminds me of Papa Gino's from 1,000,000 years ago :corsair: , so my wild uneducated guess is they added white cheddar and/or Romano to the mozzarella. Some kinds of cheddar melt oily as hell basically. Like 70% mozzarella, 25% white cheddar and 5% Romano by weight maybe? I'm pulling the numbers out of my butt but you get the idea. :butt:

e: That would also explain the extra saltiness.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
One more from tonight. Finally getting some consistency with shaping the dough, and getting that poo poo off the peel without incident.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

sirbeefalot posted:

One more from tonight. Finally getting some consistency with shaping the dough, and getting that poo poo off the peel without incident.

Good god man post your dough recipe

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Heners_UK posted:

Good god man post your dough recipe

It's a cheater recipe, honestly. I've tried one batch with our sourdough starter and this one's just easier and still tastes good.

~2.5tsp active yeast, 1.5c warm water, 1 tsp brown sugar, let sit for 10 minutes. Add 2 Tbsp olive oil, 1.5 tsp salt, and about 3.5 cups of good bread flour; I've had the best success with King Arthur and Bob's Red Mill Artisan Bread Flour. I add 3 cups in my standing mixer with the dough hook, then add little bits at a time just until the dough comes together away from the bowl. I knead it on medium speed for about 2 minutes. Let it rise for an hour, then divide into 4 to get pies that size. We usually make two right away, and freeze the other two.

I use to put the dough into a separate bowl with more oil to rise, but I just left it in the mixer the last few times and it made quite a difference for the better.

e; I started with this recipe and tweaked it a little as I went.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 25, 2016

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

sirbeefalot posted:

It's a cheater recipe

Nah, a cheater recipe is when you go to Publix and spend $2 on a ball of dough from their bakery section.

You, sir, are no cheater. Anything that has to proof is good in my book.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

The Midniter posted:

Nah, a cheater recipe is when you go to Publix and spend $2 on a ball of dough from their bakery section.

You, sir, are no cheater. Anything that has to proof is good in my book.

This poster speaks the truth.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

First try at cast iron. VERY happy with the outcome. Haven't been able to get crust right lately but the ability to pull it out of the oven and finish the crust to my liking on a gas stove top was just right.

1) Emergency dough recipe - I can post if any interest.
2) Jarred pizza sauce because its all I had on hand, not bad.
3) 4:1 (Mozzarella/Provolone) / (Vermont white cheddar)
4) Finished with fresh parmesan reggiano and cracked black pepper.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Made a full on video of how I make a sourdough margherita in my wood fired oven - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IO0x35ONcg

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Jesus Christ almighty your pizza game is tight

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
That's awesome, thanks for sharing. What did you squirt on right after you topped your pie?

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Hed posted:

That's awesome, thanks for sharing. What did you squirt on right after you topped your pie?
Seems to be olive oil.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Tried grilling in my Weber. A chimney full of charcoal gets me upwards of 600 dome temp for steaks. I did the same but with the stone. After 20 minutes it's still at 450. Any tips for grill pizza?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

FogHelmut posted:

Tried grilling in my Weber. A chimney full of charcoal gets me upwards of 600 dome temp for steaks. I did the same but with the stone. After 20 minutes it's still at 450. Any tips for grill pizza?

Look at Kenjis method for grilled pizza-just straight in the grates. It comes out pretty good, but not completely like normal pizza.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

SMDFTB posted:

Look at Kenjis method for grilled pizza-just straight in the grates. It comes out pretty good, but not completely like normal pizza.

Rolls the dough.
Makes a grilled flatbread.
:spergin:

Edit - came out decent enough despite taking 20 minutes to cook. This is the first time the bottom was more well done that the top, typically cooked in the oven.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 25, 2016

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

FogHelmut posted:

I haven't done the grill+stone for pizza yet, but when I do pizza in the oven on a stone, I need to preheat for like an hour. Maybe 20 minutes just isn't long enough?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I pizzad this weekend. Pizza steel on second rack from top, 550 convection roast. 3 minutes.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Needs mushrooms. 7/10

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Wow how the heck did you that at 550 in 3 minutes?

I have a steel also and I do it at 550 but even in the sur la table oven poo poo that I bought my pizzas aren't done in 3 minutes

Like even at 550 it would normally take me 9-10 minutes to get that kinda color and by then it gets all kinds of dried out

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Stefan Prodan posted:

⅜" pizza steel and the convection roast which uses the top element and circulates the air.

And yo I love mushrooms but they need to stay the hell off of my pizza

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Hmm maybe having a convection oven makes more difference than I thought I guess, I have the standard non convection oven

This is somewhat eye opening for me, I had no idea you could cook stuff that well and that fast in a home oven without it being like a ~FANCY PIZZA OVEN~ for 18,000 dollars or something.

I assume you have the same steel I do, the $80 one that everyone was buying there for a bit.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

And yo I love mushrooms but they need to stay the hell off of my pizza

Would it kill you to add some anchovies at least?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MariusLecter posted:

Would it kill you to add some anchovies at least?

No but my family would if I did that.

This was the 4th pie of the night. I already did cheese sticks (garlic butter and shredded mozz) for the kids, bell pepper and sausage, and sausage and pepperoni.

I've experimented with a lot of different settings since I got the steel. I used to use a stone at the bottom of the oven, and pies took 6 minutes. When I got the steel I started trying different temps (500-550) and locations. Any higher (positionally) than this and the top burns before the crust is done. With this setup, I get what I consider to be a really good New York style facsimile. The crust was a little thin this time, but it comes out with a nice crispness on the bottom (that still allows you to fold it) and that kind of doughy top to the crust under the sauce and cheese.

My dough recipe if anyone is interested:

22.5 ounces king arthur bread flour
13 oz water
2 tsp salt
2 tablespoons (1 oz) olive oil
1 tbsp sugar ( I don't always do this)
yeast (amount depends on how long until I need the dough. if I'm making it in the morning, I might use ⅛-¼ teaspoon)

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
Pizza Noob here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__vhIF1_7-A

This is my attempt from the other week. It tasted good but the presentation left something to be desired. I think I had something there with my saucemaking skills though.

Any critiques?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

SurfaceDetail posted:

Pizza Noob here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__vhIF1_7-A

This is my attempt from the other week. It tasted good but the presentation left something to be desired. I think I had something there with my saucemaking skills though.

Any critiques?

I skipped ahead of your nature hike portion... are you mixing dough with vodka? oh it's Sambuca. Nice.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I, too, made pizza. Getting pretty drat happy with the effort/result ratio I've been getting lately!

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Stefan Prodan posted:

I have a steel also and I do it at 550 but even in the sur la table oven poo poo that I bought my pizzas aren't done in 3 minutes

Like even at 550 it would normally take me 9-10 minutes to get that kinda color and by then it gets all kinds of dried out

I've been getting similar results in my 500°F electric oven by preheating at 500° until it's at temp, then turning it to broil (top element broiler) and letting it cycle the broiler 2-3 times, then putting the pie in and leaving the door just barely cracked. Keeps the temp in the oven just below the broiler cutoff, so it runs for 2-3 minutes straight, cooking the top while the steel takes care of the bottom. I think I've been a teensy bit too hasty, I need to let the steel (3/8", mine is a piece of plate I got from work and cleaned) go for longer at 500° to really soak in the heat. Bottom is always cooked, but not always as charred as it could be.

Oh, I've also switched to using my sourdough starter instead of yeast, very easy to adapt the recipe. Turns out a really excellent crust.

e; don't want to double post, here's another from tonight.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 30, 2016

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

For those that have a new wave petite pizzeria oven-how hot does it make the kitchen? Really wanting pizza but not wanting to heat the whole house up during the summer. I can only grill so many pizzas.

Also, my girlfriend likes sauce on her pizza so not the neopolitan kind that I like where it's just light dollops of sauce. She likes New York style pizza.

Any recommendations on dough and sauce that will hold up to the grilling method given the above info?

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

SMDFTB posted:

For those that have a new wave petite pizzeria oven-how hot does it make the kitchen? Really wanting pizza but not wanting to heat the whole house up during the summer. I can only grill so many pizzas.

Barely at all. The surface gets quite hot so I like to make sure it is somewhere safe, but it doesn't feel like it is heating up the whole place.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Made pizza again on Sunday and they turned out great! Pics coming soon.

I've got 600g of dough left over that I need to use up. I figure I'd use half of it for a deep dish cast iron pizza, but what can I use the rest of it for?

Here's the recipe I used for the dough. No-knead, 12 hr initial rise, punched down and proofed in the fridge for a few days.
600g flour
420g water
14g salt
5g yeast

I was thinking maybe doing some rolls, or even just lumping into a dutch oven and making bread. Any other cool ideas?

blacquethoven
Nov 29, 2003
whenever I make dough at work and have a little left over I fry little balls of it and toss it in some cinnamon sugar and some icing

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
I've made little hand-sized mini-calzones, those are fun too.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I am too lazy to make my own pizza dough

But pre-made dough from the store tastes like rear end

I used to just use a bread machine to make the dough since it's just 'dump everything in, wait 1.5 hours, dough is ready' but my bread machine busted.

Is there a specific bread machine which is better at making pizza dough than others? I use it 95% of the time for pizza dough and 5% of the time for fresh baked bread.

blacquethoven
Nov 29, 2003

poblano beurre blanc, aged white cheddar, Canadian bacon, pineapple apricot habanero jam

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

khy posted:

I am too lazy to make my own pizza dough

But pre-made dough from the store tastes like rear end

I used to just use a bread machine to make the dough since it's just 'dump everything in, wait 1.5 hours, dough is ready' but my bread machine busted.

Is there a specific bread machine which is better at making pizza dough than others? I use it 95% of the time for pizza dough and 5% of the time for fresh baked bread.

you could make your own no-knead dough, which would be easier than buying a bread machine

khy
Aug 15, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

you could make your own no-knead dough, which would be easier than buying a bread machine

I am interested in learning more. As it is, I literally just dump all the ingredients into the pan and hit 'start'. Mixing/kneading/rising is automatic. I would be very interested in finding out what is easier than that!

I was trying to search for which bread machine would be best but all I get are a million 'pizza dough bread machine recipes' results.

khy fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 6, 2016

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

With a no kneed you combine all ingredients, mix until they are fully incorporated and do nothing else for a day and you're done.

For pizza dough I like to put forth some effort and make say 5 doughs at a time by making a dough with a kilo of flour (whatever percentages you use otherwise does not matter,) mixing it like a no kneed and letting it sit for an hour, kneeling it by hand for about 5 minutes, then put into qt deli containers to freeze or fridge if using within the week

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You can use a food processor to kneed a pizza dough as well. If you have a decent sized one

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

khy posted:

I am interested in learning more. As it is, I literally just dump all the ingredients into the pan and hit 'start'. Mixing/kneading/rising is automatic. I would be very interested in finding out what is easier than that!

I was trying to search for which bread machine would be best but all I get are a million 'pizza dough bread machine recipes' results.

I get it if you aren't into mixing your own dough but just imagine how many pizzas you can make with the money saved not buying a bread machine

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/03/jim-laheys-no-knead-pizza-dough-recipe.html

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

clockworx posted:

Barely at all. The surface gets quite hot so I like to make sure it is somewhere safe, but it doesn't feel like it is heating up the whole place.

Good to know-thanks!

I'm curious how it compares to this as well:

Pizzacraft PC0601 Pizzeria Pronto Stovetop Pizza Oven https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AJJ05ZQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_DrfFxb8AQ2MP3

Looks like this could be pretty good, but I do move around a bit so I know I'll never be limited by electricity, but could be limited in if I move to a place with a gas stove or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

Mr. Wookums posted:

You can use a food processor to kneed a pizza dough as well. If you have a decent sized one

I just made pizza dough in the food processor for the first time a couple weeks ago, crazy how much better/faster it is at kneading than a mixer with a dough hook. Literally just dump in ingredients, turn on for 60 seconds, done. Turned out better than any dough I've kneaded in the mixer.