Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Byzantine posted:

The space shuttle had that too. Well, technically it was a jettison for the rockets/fuel tank, then the orbiter would glide away. But the incident happened too fast for that.

But that was only available after Solid Rocket Boosters burned out, about two minutes into the flight. If a separation was attempted while the SRB/ET stack was thrusting forward at several Gs, the orbiter would have "hung up" on the aft attachment points and started flipping backwards end-over-end, which is all kinds of bad news, especially at Mach 2.

But even if Challenger had (somehow) separated and stayed intact, there was nowhere to go. They would have been way out over the ocean, almost certainly without the energy to glide back to KSC, and a water landing was not considered survivable. Later on the engineers hacked in a way for the crew to bail out from a controlled glide and parachute down individually, but that capability didn't exist yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Wasn't there an 'abort' procedure that would have destroyed the early rockets, killing the crew, that was to be used if there was a danger of it crashing in a populated area?

And the guy on the ground who was tasked to press the button was never allowed to meet the astronauts, in case it affected his decision?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

spog posted:

Wasn't there an 'abort' procedure that would have destroyed the early rockets, killing the crew, that was to be used if there was a danger of it crashing in a populated area?

And the guy on the ground who was tasked to press the button was never allowed to meet the astronauts, in case it affected his decision?

There are indeed such self-destruct systems, and for good reason, that the launch controllers can use to "terminate the flight".

If a launching Shuttle had ever gone veering out of control toward Cocoa Beach, the Range Safety Officer was the one with the responsibility to hit the button that would blow them out of the sky. But I think it was more of a customary thing than an absolute rule that said the RSO and the astronauts shouldn't really hang out together...

But we're getting a little off-topic for the thread -- for everyone interested, there's a very active spaceflight megathread for all this stuff:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3580990

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Allow me to wrestle the thread back on topic.

Friendship is magicgarishly-colored graphs.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Is there a "The Does This Graph Make Sense Graph"?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
How can you be said to have a relationship that's healthy but not enjoyable? If you're not enjoying it, it's not healthy by virtue of that.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Heath posted:

How can you be said to have a relationship that's healthy but not enjoyable? If you're not enjoying it, it's not healthy by virtue of that.

Over in the schadenfreude thread we found a youtube channel of a bunch of teenage boys who really really love to hang out and film themselves smashing their nuts with bowling balls and planks of wood. They've posted dozens and dozens of videos over the span of several years.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

spog posted:

All space launch systems have this, I think it may be mandatory. Almost every time a rocket explodes very shortly after launch, it's the self-destruct system: they destroy the rocket before it can fly out of control in an unpredictable way

spog posted:

And the guy on the ground who was tasked to press the button

That's the Range Safety Officer

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Heath posted:

Conversely, how can you have s friendship that's healthy but not enjoyable? If anything, I guess it could be called s professional relationship, say between coworkers, but the graph specifically claims to describe friends.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Allow me to wrestle the thread back on topic.

Friendship is magicgarishly-colored graphs.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I hate you.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Heath posted:

Healthy but not enjoyable are possible familial obligations. Enjoyable but not healthy is stuff like getting friendzoned.

The "sample distribution" is the biggest farce because as people point out you'd expect most stuff to fall on a line of y=x except for some of the more unique cases like above.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

gently caress

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Over in the schadenfreude thread we found a youtube channel of a bunch of teenage boys who really really love to hang out and film themselves smashing their nuts with bowling balls and planks of wood. They've posted dozens and dozens of videos over the span of several years.

But they are teenagers! poo poo, bodily harm is one of life's few pleasures for them! Also could I get a link to that post, tia!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I wonder what Asif, Salman and Mudasir would have to say about this.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

I'm too lazy, but there are at least two loss edits in this baby.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Where does a one night stand fall on that? Friendship, romantic love or infatuation?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Empty Love Romantic Love

Companionate Love Fatuous Love

There, done.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Paladinus posted:

I'm too lazy, but there are at least two loss edits in this baby.

If there's a baby in your loss edits you're doing it wrong

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010

RandomFerret posted:

If there's a baby in your loss edits you're doing it wrong

:vince:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Rename thread to the loss.xls thread.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

I don't have a problem with the message of this graph, but the idea of including a country with no data in a bar graph is hilarious.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

trapped mouse posted:

I don't have a problem with the message of this graph, but the idea of including a country with no data in a bar graph is hilarious.

I guess it being about G8 Countries would make it weird if they left one out? I suppose they could have an asterix note?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

trapped mouse posted:

So according to this graph there is literally no murder at all in Japan?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Tracula posted:

They haven't been able to convict anyone of it with Phoenix Wright on the case.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Tracula posted:

It's a lovely graph that means gun related homicide.

Japan has Hanzo Steel, no need for guns.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Japanese people murder each other with improvised objects, like a statue that's also an alarm clock.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

kazil posted:

It's a lovely graph that means gun related homicide.

Japan has Hanzo Steel, no need for guns.

Oh my bad. I failed to tilt my head to a 90-degree angle to read the side of that. loving hate when graphs do that.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Oxyclean posted:

I guess it being about G8 Countries would make it weird if they left one out? I suppose they could have an asterix note?

Russia shouldn't even be included in G8 anyway

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
They should include all homicides. Idiots will say 'well yeah, there's no difference between rates, they just use alarm clocks instead of guns'.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
I guess they were trying to make a point similar to this Onion article.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Ignite Memories posted:

Japanese people murder each other with improvised objects, like a statue that's also an alarm clock.

Nah, Japanese people just murder themselves. Japan's suicide rate is higher than the US's suicide rate and homicide rate combined.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Phanatic posted:

Nah, Japanese people just murder themselves. Japan's suicide rate is higher than the US's suicide rate and homicide rate combined.

True enough, but doesn't Japan also have a problem with police classifying unsolved murders as suicides?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Plus, doesn't it have extremely restrictive gun control where it's almost impossible for someone who isn't in the military to own one?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Regalingualius posted:

Plus, doesn't it have extremely restrictive gun control where it's almost impossible for someone who isn't in the military to own one?

What, you mean there's some relation between gun control and low rates of gun-related violence?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Regalingualius posted:

That's 100% the point of the graph, though...

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Guns don't kill people, Americans kill people!!!!

* Also possibly Russians, we just don't know

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Guns don't kill people, Americans kill people!!!!

* Also possibly Russians, we just don't know

"We haven't heard back from anyone we sent to collect data"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Whiz Palace posted:

I guess they were trying to make a point similar to this Onion article.

Scroll down, they've got the same story repeated a half dozen times with different locations and people. Excellent gimmick.