Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Drone posted:

lol

Campaign for North Africa, I think. It's got some near-legendary status in the board game community I think, and apparently takes hundreds and hundreds of hours to finish a single game.

Maybe it's my fever talking right now, but before I die, I'm going to do a LP thread of that game.

... At least start it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

Maybe it's my fever talking right now, but before I die, I'm going to do a LP thread of that game.

... At least start it.

:rip:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Riso posted:

They should introduce lifetime DND bans.

TenementFunster got trained out of TFR - IIRC he can't even see that the forum exists.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Well I finally did it, bought a Combat Mission game.

Went with Fortress Italy + Gustav Line bundle because it seemed the most varied. Plus the Italians were goofy as gently caress to use in the demo.

Henry Kissinger
May 17, 2016

by Shine

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Plus the Italians were goofy as gently caress to use in the demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeVWupFBkA8

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Well I finally did it, bought a Combat Mission game.

Went with Fortress Italy + Gustav Line bundle because it seemed the most varied. Plus the Italians were goofy as gently caress to use in the demo.

Niiiiice

:getin:

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
So I got Graviteam Tactics: Mius Front during the sale, and holy poo poo the UI sucks, even for a grognard game. And apparently earlier games were worse? God drat.

One thing that really got to me is the way the camera behaves. When you have it freely roaming, you mid-click and the mouse turns the camera. Easy. But you can attach the camera to a unit, and in this case, when you mid-click and move the mouse, the mouse moves the camera. So: camera unattached, mid-click and move the mouse right, the camera turns to the right. Camera attached, mid-click and move the mouse right, and the camera turns to the left.

So I thought "this is horseshit, there's got to be a way to change it" and searched for it on the steam forums. Found a thread about exactly this issue, in which the developers said:

That's graviteam's official response. "Hey this sucks" "But it's sucked for twelve years LOL"

And we put up with this poo poo, because no one else is making these kind of games. Mothergently caress. At least they don't charge for patches like the Combat Mission guys

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
regarding that my view is that wargames are works of art first, products second.

if that makes any sense

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Also this is my favorite part of Catch-22, book or movie

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Baloogan posted:

regarding that my view is that wargames are works of art first, products second.

if that makes any sense

It does. Imagine if Andy Warhol was the only guy selling campbell's soup. The only people who would eat it would be strange motherfuckers with unusual tastes, and also who had an unnatural amount of patience specifically for dealing with Andy Warhol's poo poo

It's a good metaphor for the grognard condition is what I'm saying

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Baloogan posted:

if that makes any sense

That's well and good for Campbell's, but the saying goes: "you don't fix what ain't broken."

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Foo Diddley posted:

So I thought "this is horseshit, there's got to be a way to change it" and searched for it on the steam forums. Found a thread about exactly this issue, in which the developers said:

That's graviteam's official response. "Hey this sucks" "But it's sucked for twelve years LOL"

You're misreading them, I think. They're saying "what, it's only become clear that it's bad after 12 years? Don't be ridiculous; it's obviously good, why else would we still be using it after 12 years? we would have noticed problems with it much sooner than this if any problems actually existed."

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

PleasingFungus posted:

You're misreading them, I think. They're saying "what, it's only become clear that it's bad after 12 years? Don't be ridiculous; it's obviously good, why else would we still be using it after 12 years? we would have noticed problems with it much sooner than this if any problems actually existed."

Oh well when you put it like that, uh... nope, still sucks

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

It's not that bad. That and the UI weren't my issues with the game. The principle issue is that the AI quick placement of units does not get good line of sight for your troops or AT guns and you can't easily target fixed positions like bridges to stop tank advances. They can get damaged, but you can't outright target them. As a fairly casual grog who appreciates the different matchups of equipment, the game playing itself more would be nice. Heck, micromanagement during the fight would be fine too. But having to fiddle with LoS for upwards of half an hour per AT gun is annoying.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
My problem with Graviteam Tactics is that the actual gameplay is so samey. Attack a position, struggle to hit them artillery (the struggle is entirely with the UI), get one chunk of troops to shoot, get another chunk of troops to assault. Watch as your guys are slaughtered. Repeat.

The game doesn't seem to know what 'scale/scope' its shooting for.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Fortress Italy: Holy gently caress, Italian tankettes are deathtraps. I mean I wasn't expecting them to stand up to anything "anti-tank", but outside the front they die to regular small arms at like medium ranges.

How can you call something a tank(ette) that gets taken out by Garand shots :shepface:

Baloogan posted:

My problem with Graviteam Tactics is that the actual gameplay is so samey. Attack a position, struggle to hit them artillery (the struggle is entirely with the UI), get one chunk of troops to shoot, get another chunk of troops to assault. Watch as your guys are slaughtered. Repeat.

The game doesn't seem to know what 'scale/scope' its shooting for.

I have to give them some props that they let you do whatever silly matchups your heart desires (assuming you have the appropriate DLC).

While CM locks you into "No, you must only make matchups with formations and equipment that are historical for a given place and time no compromises", Graviteam lets me see what happens if a Panzergrenadier division attacked entrenched Iranian infantry armed with M47 Dragons.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 9, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

While CM locks you into "No, you must only make matchups with formations and equipment that are historical for a given place and time no compromises", Graviteam lets me see what happens if a Panzergrenadier division attacked entrenched Iranian infantry armed with M47 Dragons.

What does happen?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

What does happen?

The Dragons miss a lot making it embarrassingly close :v:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I have to give them some props that they let you do whatever silly matchups your heart desires (assuming you have the appropriate DLC).

That reminds me of a thread i read once where people argued whether Iraq circa 1991 could beat Nazi Germany or not. Evidence pointed towards a strong no.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

TenementFunster got trained out of TFR - IIRC he can't even see that the forum exists.

Holy poo poo TenementFunster is still around.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

How can you call something a tank(ette) that gets taken out by Garand shots :shepface:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QgXuhv7-54 scroll forward a few minutes, there's a nice demo of the Garand's penetration power.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
My problem with Mius is the LOS is janky and I cant target anything.

Namely, your guys wont shoot what they cant see. So you cant lay supressing fire

Maybe im just incompetant at regiment level tactics.

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 10, 2016

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It's not that bad. That and the UI weren't my issues with the game. The principle issue is that the AI quick placement of units does not get good line of sight for your troops or AT guns and you can't easily target fixed positions like bridges to stop tank advances. They can get damaged, but you can't outright target them. As a fairly casual grog who appreciates the different matchups of equipment, the game playing itself more would be nice. Heck, micromanagement during the fight would be fine too. But having to fiddle with LoS for upwards of half an hour per AT gun is annoying.

I haven't played it that much, but I did have some problems targetting specific enemy units. I think it's because the units I was telling "shoot these guys" couldn't actually spot them, but someone else could, and the game didn't quite make it clear who was spotting these enemies

But don't get me wrong; it's still a really neat game. When, during one of the tutorial missions, one of my tanks got bitchslapped by an anti-tank gun, caught fire, slid for a while, then proceeded to cook off, I was like "Yeah, I got my twenty bux worth"

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Fortress Italy: Holy gently caress, Italian tankettes are deathtraps. I mean I wasn't expecting them to stand up to anything "anti-tank", but outside the front they die to regular small arms at like medium ranges.

I think that's my favorite part about Fortress Italy. It's a nice change from the ridiculous IS-2 supertanks on the eastern front.

So many fond memories of sending US troops on banzai charges against swarms of those cute little Italian tankettes.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
The thing that got to me in mius front was the AI placing units and anti tank guns facing backwards like half the time.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Abongination posted:

The thing that got to me in mius front was the AI placing units and anti tank guns facing backwards like half the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmt45BF5SOM

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
this any good? http://store.steampowered.com/app/500190/

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

the trailer for that is lazy as hell, it's literally the pictures already present within steam with a zoom transition.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Even if it isn't it just shows how shameful Matrix's Close Combat 'stick a new label on top and charge top dollar' strategy is.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxl6zHRJhKs

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

dont know but there's a demo on the website http://www.windowsgames.co.uk/ff.html

complete with a TUCOWS recommendation

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

If it is the same game I played 6 years ago then sort of. It is a decent enough close combat clone but the problem is lack of variety and poor ai. I'd only get it if it was 5 dollars or less.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BVVm2IL1oE

ZekeNY fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 12, 2016

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
:lol: matrix forums getting blasted by Korean spammers.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Command is doing some current events stuff: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4117008

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I played it on the iPad/iPhone and found it to be pretty bland. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't terribly good.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Baloogan posted:

Command is doing some current events stuff: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4117008

this reminds me of that board game that takes place in the Middle East. I think it was Persian Incursion

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Now we know why the next Close Combat got delayed so much: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4116917

Planned release date is Q2 of 2017.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Yooper posted:

I played it on the iPad/iPhone and found it to be pretty bland. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't terribly good.

It's not even the one with the dyamic campaign where you can play the Chinese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaKivi
Mar 28, 2010
I really like Graviteam Tactics Mius-Front, but god drat those planes. Oh hey, here comes Sturmoviks to destroy my poor troops and i can't really do nothing about it because we don't have AA-guns. I really hope they add anti-air weapons in the game.