Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Night Dive's Strife and Turok releases were done by a guy call Kaiser who's pretty active in the classic FPS community and is responsible for a lot of stuff including a reverse-engineered PC port of Doom 64. He's working on Turok 2 for Night Dive right now and has been pecking away at an enhanced Blood port for the hell of it, and he also ported the PSX version of Powerslave/Exhumed but legal shenanigans mean that's no longer being officially worked on.

did he fix the darkness issues in Doom 64

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Night Dive's Strife and Turok releases were done by a guy call Kaiser who's pretty active in the classic FPS community and is responsible for a lot of stuff including a reverse-engineered PC port of Doom 64. He's working on Turok 2 for Night Dive right now and has been pecking away at an enhanced Blood port for the hell of it, and he also ported the PSX version of Powerslave/Exhumed but legal shenanigans mean that's no longer being officially worked on.

Who the hell is contesting Powerslave?

I understand these companies want to hold onto their property but some of it is like an old granny clinging to a discarded wrapper.

Oh poo poo someone is porting PO'ed, summon the legal team!

al-azad fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jul 4, 2016

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

exploding mummy posted:

did he fix the darkness issues in Doom 64

Yeah, there's an additional gamma setting on top of whatever was already there.

al-azad posted:

I understand these companies want to hold onto their property but some of it is like an old granny clinging to a discarded wrapper.

Noone has come out and said exactly what happened but the between-the-lines reading is that Kaiser pissed someone off by posting a free, near-final version of his port on his website, complete with unlicensed assets from the game, and that killed whatever plans Night Dive had for the game.

Smellem Sexbad
Sep 16, 2003
God drat I love system shock 1. It is so good. I am very excited to see it re-mastered (or whatever they are calling it).

I played through the enhanced edition recently, and it is one of the few games I actually played to completion in a long time. I would easily put it as one of my favourite games ever made now.

The game is PEAK 90s pc gaming. It is magnificent. The insane soundtrack. The totally overwhelming UI. MULTIPLE crouch height settings. Several grenade types. Drugs / boosters. Huge variety of enemies, guns and ammo types. Sprawling labyrinthine levels. Obscure quest objectives. Ability to lose the game by accidentally flipping a switch at the wrong time. Audio logs. Light / Dark areas. A level with huge amounts of verticality. Random loot from enemies. Death cutscene. HACKING. ~CYBERSPACE~.

The game is essentially a sci-fi / cyberpunk dungeon crawler, and it was so far ahead of its time in a lot of ways. It is an absolute cult classic.

I never thought a company would re-master the original, AND get a 3rd game in the series made.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

BattleMaster posted:

I'm not sure whether Night Dive does enhanced ports in-house or whether they contract out, but in addition to their legal wizardry they've done some serious technical wizardry with stuff like the Strife rerelease.
They have at least one in-house programmer (the aforementioned Kaiser) working with various contractors. I believe the System Shock remake is a separate team from Kaiser's, who are beavering away on their usual Turok business.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Cheez posted:

Super Mario Kart was great, but it's also really easy to gently caress up, as evidenced by every single Super Mario Kart clone of the day.

Counterpoint: Wacky Wheels was loving awesome

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

al-azad posted:

It's more like I can't believe it wasn't funded in 24 hours and nobody in the media is talking about it despite there being a physical thing.

And yes, Night Dive is a publisher and professional copyright wrangler. The fact they got System Shock was a miracle and only No One Lives Forever escaped their legal team. It was actually going to happen with Activision and Fox divorcing themselves then WB threatened legal gridlock and they couldn't afford that battle.

The NOLF one is so depressing to read. They go to WB to ask if they have any copyright, and they reply with "Huh? What game? We don't know if we still have any copyright on that." As soon as they decided to move forward on the project, WB comes back with some legal bullshit that they may not even have grounds on. Someone should start a Kickstarter to help Night Dive fight the legal battle.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Wait, they remade Strife? :stare:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Fuzz posted:

Wait, they remade Strife? :stare:
I heard they had to reverse engineer a lot of it because the source code was lost.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/317040/

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Zereth posted:

I heard they had to reverse engineer a lot of it because the source code was lost.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/317040/

Oh I thought you guys meant it was like a modernized version of the game in 3D and whatnot. :smith:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

al-azad posted:

If someone else wants to undertake a commercial project based on the IP, the IP clearly has value worth protecting!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

al-azad posted:

Those walking butts aren't going to pay for themselves! :argh:

Also, Kaiser is a reverse engineering techno wizard. Or has enough wherewithal and patience to do so. The Blood port can't come out soon enough :f5:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I want them to remake CyberMage, because holy poo poo that game was ahead of its time.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Fuzz posted:

I want them to remake CyberMage, because holy poo poo that game was ahead of its time.

Wow, someone else who has heard of CyberMage :hfive:

While we're on Impossible Dreams Street, throw ZPC in there too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CsxiqKPBVA

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Smellem Sexbad posted:

I never thought a company would re-master the original, AND get a 3rd game in the series made.

System Shock 2 is also getting bug fixes and such. The stuff that Nightdive Studios is doing is really nothing short of amazing to be honest.
http://store.steampowered.com/search/?publisher=Nightdive%20Studios

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
It's not NightDive that's producing the SS2 updates. Those appear to be coming from a source code leak from a few years ago and are being produced by an anonymous source.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Hank Morgan posted:

It's not NightDive that's producing the SS2 updates. Those appear to be coming from a source code leak from a few years ago and are being produced by an anonymous source.

Oh, huh. My bad then. That's strangely kind of awesome.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Stygian got funded, and then some!

Sadly, The Captain, an interesting pixelated mix of rpg and adventure game looks like it isn't going to make it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnnY8m7qeSY

There's a demo, too.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Mr Underhill posted:

Sadly, The Captain, an interesting pixelated mix of rpg and adventure game looks like it isn't going to make it.

There's a demo, too.

First time I hear of this game. It's a shame.

Then again, they seem to have a *eyelid twitch* verb coin, so their failure is well deserved.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Death to all stick limb Kickstarters

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Original_Z posted:

The NOLF one is so depressing to read. They go to WB to ask if they have any copyright, and they reply with "Huh? What game? We don't know if we still have any copyright on that." As soon as they decided to move forward on the project, WB comes back with some legal bullshit that they may not even have grounds on. Someone should start a Kickstarter to help Night Dive fight the legal battle.

Yeah that made me really angry about intellectual property and copyright legislation once again :(

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Mr Underhill posted:

Stygian got funded, and then some!

There's a demo, too.

This makes me sad since I never heard of either, but after watching all the stuff I feel like Stygian looks crappy and has an awful art style while the Captain looks pretty good and interesting. :smith:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Sygian looks like a lovecraft skinned generic turn based RPG. Which is completely missing the point of Lovecraft but I digress. (overcome a shoggoth with violence? get hosed)

That other game might be good but I think we're all tired of stick figure pixel art by now. You want to have a really solid gameplay demo or some other drawcard if you think screenshots of that are going to get the numbers in.

When I think of failed kickstarters I mostly think of "nice pixel art" ones so it's almost like an anchor around a neck at this stage.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Wamdoodle posted:

While we're on Impossible Dreams Street, throw ZPC in there too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CsxiqKPBVA

Other than the rad art ZPC wasn't good when it was new. :mad:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

Other than the rad art ZPC wasn't good when it was new. :mad:

No arguments there.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Speaking of ZPC I wonder what Aiden Hughes is raging against these days.

Oh.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

DancingShade posted:

Sygian looks like a lovecraft skinned generic turn based RPG. Which is completely missing the point of Lovecraft but I digress. (overcome a shoggoth with violence? get hosed)

Well, except for the story where Cthulhu gets beat by a boat.

Or the one where the deep ones of Innsmouth are wiped out by the US military.

Or the story where Nyarlathotep's pirates from the moon are driven off by talking cats.

:ssh:

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Modus Pwnens posted:

Death to all stick limb Kickstarters

Whose fault is that anyway? Sword & Sworcery?

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

HMS Boromir posted:

Whose fault is that anyway? Sword & Sworcery?

I was wondering the same thing. That's the first example I can think of.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Well, except for the story where Cthulhu gets beat by a boat.

Or the one where the deep ones of Innsmouth are wiped out by the US military.

Or the story where Nyarlathotep's pirates from the moon are driven off by talking cats.

:ssh:

Well, deep ones are just transformed humans, they're not magic or anything. A shoggoth is the size of a train. And you get hit in the head by a boat and tell me you don't want to sleep it off. By the time you wake up again those dudes will be dead so what is revenge to a god?

And if Lovecraft were alive today he'd be that guy posting cat photos on reddit while replying to every youtube with "AROUND BLACKS NEVER RELAX"

Modus Pwnens posted:

I was wondering the same thing. That's the first example I can think of.

Sword & Sworcery's style was invoking Sierra games so it made sense there. Like take the original Leisure Suit Larry sprite, stretch him vertically 25%, and shrink the head and you've got those same sprites.

But like all trends they forget the trendsetter. Like Scott C. has been doing the oblong-red-nose thing for decades and then later it gets associated with the tumblr style where realistic cartoon characters have this floppy carrot on their face.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 5, 2016

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKSIcRc1M50

In case it hasn't been mentioned yet, a New Side Scrolling Shooter, Xydonia is up for a kickstarter and looks absolutely rad. they also have a brand new alpha demo to play that they added today too, so give them some love!
It also actually looks and sounds like an arcade game, which you don't see terribly often.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 5, 2016

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

On the topic of cool projects that look crazy, there's also Kologeon, a weirdass third person... combat... thing...

Mainly has a crazyass artstyle and animations:

:stare:

EDIT: Oh yeah and the music is rad as gently caress. Go back that poo poo so we can get it. 60 hours to go!

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 6, 2016

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Fuzz posted:

On the topic of cool projects that look crazy, there's also Kologeon, a weirdass third person... combat... thing...

EDIT: Oh yeah and the music is rad as gently caress. Go back that poo poo so we can get it. 60 hours to go!

Saw this on Jim Sterling's Greenlight video for it, no demo but the art style is just so unique and the gameplay looks like it'd be very much my jam so willing to take a gamble on it. (first game Kickstarter I've bothered backing in a year or so, considering they're borderline I'll give it a go)

Also, I like their concept for random but not roguelike:

quote:

However this isn't a roguelike. Your actions and progress stay permanent. Kologeon combines all the best from traditional RPGs and roguelikes to form an un-repetitive but progressive experiences.

No idea how this will look in practice but they've said enough of the right things for me to give them a shot.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Maluco Marinero posted:

Saw this on Jim Sterling's Greenlight video for it, no demo but the art style is just so unique and the gameplay looks like it'd be very much my jam so willing to take a gamble on it. (first game Kickstarter I've bothered backing in a year or so, considering they're borderline I'll give it a go)

Also, I like their concept for random but not roguelike:

No idea how this will look in practice but they've said enough of the right things for me to give them a shot.

Yeah, a whole bunch of things about this look really cool. I hope they hit funding!

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Fuzz posted:

That looks really great and I have no loving idea what's going on and it looks utterly obnoxious to actually try and play. :geno:

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
I'm not really feeling Kologeon's graphics, but I too found out about it from Jim's good greenlight feature, so I hope that works out for them.

In the meantime, one game I'm pumped about will be hitting Kickstarter tomorrow, June 7th. Game's called Columnae, it's a Limbo-like (visually) steampunkish point and click. Cool use of god-rays throughout. Feels like a shadowpuppet/pop-up book/diorama combination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFB2lWsati8

I played the demo for it and it looks great in motion, I don't think it's publicly available yet but I'm pretty sure it will be for the Kickstarter. The devs are Serbian, so I'm happy to see more Eastern Europeans having a go at this Kickstarter thing. Really looking forward to this one. And no verb coin, Zver!

It also has an interesting, if (at least for me) a bit confusing non-linear way to deal with branching:

quote:

Now, I am a retired table-talk RPG game master, fond of making my own systems and settings, and writing HUGE documents about the world and everything in it. I am also a fan of George R.R. Martin and his unbelievably complex system of seemingly unrelated stories that somehow come together and do (or will, I hope) make sense at the end. With the endless possibility that non-linear story and retro-causality gave me, I was FREE (bwahaha) to make this world huge and rich in details, and to strategically place little side-quests/stories in it so that they would not reveal the whole truth to the player unless he has played the game a few times and took different paths - but they would still give the player much needed flavour of the world surrounding the story even if he only played the game once. The idea of having this meta-knowledge only attainable by playing the game more than once (or reading about / watching others do it) intrigued me - it’s a state possible for you as a player, but never for the character you are playing. I realized that by using retro-causality we can do this without the player replaying the game: When you play chronologically earlier chapter after you play chronologically later chapter, you as a player have some direct knowledge about the future of your character (and the world), and he does not, so if your (player’s) decisions in his name are based on this knowledge then his (character’s) actions could be seen as irrational in-world (because the character had no knowledge which would explain why he did what he did). This opened some very interesting possibilities for our story, namely adding a possibility of real prophetic/mystic element - giving player the opportunity to act (or not!) as an invisible fate in some situations, and lead the character to make some decisions without him knowing exactly why at the time. But revealing those in more detail would be not just too spoilerish right now but also hard to explain without telling the whole story in detail.

If you're interested in reading more, here's their devlog.

If I understand correctly you can play it both chronologically or non-chronologically or some poo poo. Anyway, it tickles me the right way, and it's coming to Kickstarter tomorrow.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Where the hell do you find all these point-and-click KS games?

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Where the hell do you find all these point-and-click KS games?

Well, p&c's are not like rpgs where you have hundreds of titles in the works at any given time, they're pretty easy to keep track of. The guys behind Columnae reached out to me for advice on running a Kickstarter and I got really excited about their game. I hope they fare well, especially since they chose to ran at a pretty unfortunate time, right after the Steam summer sale.

Mr Underhill fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jul 6, 2016

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Asimo posted:

That looks really great and I have no loving idea what's going on and it looks utterly obnoxious to actually try and play. :geno:

It has the headache inducing perspective of Hyperlight Drifter that's already problematic in flat high speed combat, but with an added jump layer. It looks like a nightmare to actually play. Pretty though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Asimo posted:

I really hope those gifs are zoomed in and you can see more of the area around you when actually playing. There's a bit in the first igf where an attack is started when the enemy it's aimed at is not visible.