Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
More flavor events would be great but I don't want to play a full game of Victoria 3 to establish the causes of the wars in HoI4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Mehrunes posted:

More flavor events would be great but I don't want to play a full game of Victoria 3 to establish the causes of the wars in HoI4.

I want exactly this, I want to play WW1 in vicky, play the interwar than play WW2 in HOI

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah that's what I want too. Abstract the whole boring military side of things down a bit and give a lot more political mechanics so more things in the game have an actual in-game political reason for happening and you have strong political and economic goals for the things you do.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Baronjutter posted:

Abstract the whole boring military side of things down a bit and give a lot more political mechanics.

Sounds to me like you want inkle to make a WWII game (they do computer adaptations of CYOA books) - I'm not saying this as a bad thing, I think it could actually be really good if done well.

You are one of the Japanese Emperor's chief ministers. It is 1937

Economy Status: Marginal
Diplomatic Status: Isolated
Government Status: Weak

Several Army officers are demanding military action in northern China to increase the country's prestige and secure the frontiers of Manchuria.

Denounce the officers as warmongers (Result: You are assassinated and the plan is implemented)
Consult with the genro and the Diet (Result: The officers launch the plan without approval. You are assassinated for delaying)
Appeal directly to the Emperor (Result: The Emperor refuses to interfere. The plan goes ahead. Also, assassination.)
Agree to implement the officers' plan (Result: The plan goes forward. No assass-- haha, just kidding they assassinate you anyway so you can be replaced with an Army officer.)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This sounds like some banana republic CYOA style game I played many years ago where the main goal was to simply not be assasinated/couped. It actually put you in the shoes of a lovely dictator and made a lot of the "crazy" poo poo dictators do make a lot of sense.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

blackmongoose posted:

Sounds to me like you want inkle to make a WWII game (they do computer adaptations of CYOA books) - I'm not saying this as a bad thing, I think it could actually be really good if done well.

Several Army officers are demanding military action in northern China to increase the country's prestige and secure the frontiers of Manchuria.

Denounce the officers as warmongers (Result: You are assassinated and the plan is implemented)
Consult with the genro and the Diet (Result: The officers launch the plan without approval. You are assassinated for delaying)
Appeal directly to the Emperor (Result: The Emperor refuses to interfere. The plan goes ahead. Also, assassination.)
Agree to implement the officers' plan (Result: The plan goes forward. No assass-- haha, just kidding they assassinate you anyway so you can be replaced with an Army officer.)

I have no idea if Inkle would make a good WWII or not, but their 80 Days features some of the most astounding writing I've seen in any game, and the way in which it attaches narrative to geography might be of interest to Paradox players.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sorry if this is way off topic but do games like that exist? I played a web based CYOA sort of thing about zombies that was actually really good and interesting and had a million branching options and stories. I've never found anything like that again.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
lessons learned today: i am not a better general than napoleon, fighting russia as france is hard

e: also, gently caress GB forever for going to bat for loving finland

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

This sounds like some banana republic CYOA style game I played many years ago where the main goal was to simply not be assasinated/couped. It actually put you in the shoes of a lovely dictator and made a lot of the "crazy" poo poo dictators do make a lot of sense.
You're talking about Hidden Agenda? Still remember getting frustrated after numerous attempts at compromise and just going hard commie and surviving several coup attempts before finally losing.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

AceRimmer posted:

You're talking about Hidden Agenda?

Huh. So that's where Tropico came from.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Baronjutter posted:

Sorry if this is way off topic but do games like that exist? I played a web based CYOA sort of thing about zombies that was actually really good and interesting and had a million branching options and stories. I've never found anything like that again.

Not grand strategy takes on CYOAs, but there are some pretty good Choice of books like Divided We Fall, a CYOA based in the Spanish civil war and the of Infinity series which is a really well written low-fantasy Napoleonic gamebook with choices carrying across different books. There's an LP of the latter still going on.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Just found my first :anarchists: country, Belgium. Is there another one?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Bremen posted:

Well, to be fair, it didn't make much sense for Japan to go to war with the US in the real world either. They had this idea that they could force a quick surrender, but that was never going to happen.

Well they thought that dicking around in the east Indies would eventually prompt a US intervention anyways and then they'd have the Philippines right in the middle of their supply lines so best to start that on their own terms rather than letting the US pick the worst possible minute. Who knows whether an actual colonial war like they thought it would be perceived as would have prompted "who the gently caress cares why are we propping up Dutch and British colonies" from the American public like they expected so they might have just been irrevocably hosed no matter what they did.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

blackmongoose posted:

I know it's off topic, but does anyone know if Inkle is ever going to release Sorcery! 4? I've been deliberately waiting to play them until they're all released (aka Early Release burnout syndrome) but it's starting to feel like it's never going to happen.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I think more than anything I want a more expansive/permissive peace system. Finland apparently joined the Allies during the Winter War and now we're stuck fighting Russia right after chewing through Germany. They can have Finland, I just don't care. :eng99:

Fighting for unconditional surrender should, without question, be an option, but it doesn't need to be the only option.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jul 6, 2016

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
I started my German ironman game out by puppeting the Netherlands (good move, with tons of rubber) and Sweden (for the tungsten; turned out to be a mediocre opening play). My state-sponsored coups in Romania, Belgium, Denmark and Norway were a total bust; I pulled the trigger on them after world tension had escalated so far that they just joined the allies. I had gotten frustrated because I had them all well over 50% fascist support but wasn't seeing any domestic coups. Turns out that launching an independent North Sea Empire out of the Faroe Islands is just plain hopeless.

Allying with Poland is now my favourite opening move as the Germans. It lets me take out the Soviets at my leisure while leaving the West only barely defended. If I was better, a rapid Sealion would be a superior move; I'm not.

It's now 1943 and I'm planning on invading France, which has turned communist and taken out my lunatic ally, Mussolini, who kicked off a sort of limited WW2 when he dragged all of my allies into some drat fool war over Greece. I left Japan out to dry after Chiang kicked them right off the Asian continent - with control over the Dutch East Indies achieved, there wasn't a drat thing I needed them for.

The only problem is that Britain is sitting on literally 20,000 aircraft. Hopefully the industrial might of the former Soviet Union will help me outperform them in the air war.

I successfully flipped the USA to fascism, but no idea how I can get them into my faction. It was a little bit stupid to get a news popup saying that the Free American Empire had decided to stand as a bulwark against fascism, though...

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jul 6, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

JerikTelorian posted:

I think more than anything I want a more expansive/permissive peace system. Finland apparently joined the Allies during the Winter War and now we're stuck fighting Russia right after chewing through Germany. They can have Finland, I just don't care. :eng99:

Fighting for unconditional surrender should, without question, be an option, but it doesn't need to be the only option.

If they gated negotiated surrenders behind a 'world tension generated' check I think it would work pretty well, and be fitting for the period.

David Corbett posted:

I started my German ironman game out by puppeting the Netherlands (good move, with tons of rubber) and Sweden (for the tungsten; turned out to be a mediocre opening play). My state-sponsored coups in Romania, Belgium, Denmark and Norway were a total bust; I pulled the trigger on them after world tension had escalated so far that they just joined the allies. I had gotten frustrated because I had them all well over 50% fascist support but wasn't seeing any domestic coups. Turns out that launching an independent North Sea Empire out of the Faroe Islands is just plain hopeless.

Allying with Poland is now my favourite opening move as the Germans. It lets me take out the Soviets at my leisure while leaving the West only barely defended. If I was better, a rapid Sealion would be a superior move; I'm not.

It's now 1943 and I'm planning on invading France, which has turned communist and taken out my lunatic ally, Mussolini, who kicked off a sort of limited WW2 when he dragged all of my allies into some drat fool war over Greece. I left Japan out to dry after Chiang kicked them right off the Asian continent - with control over the Dutch East Indies achieved, there wasn't a drat thing I needed them for.

The only problem is that Britain is sitting on literally 20,000 aircraft. Hopefully the industrial might of the former Soviet Union will help me outperform them in the air war.

I successfully flipped the USA to fascism, but no idea how I can get them into my faction. It was a little bit stupid to get a news popup saying that the Free American Empire had decided to stand as a bulwark against fascism, though...

Invade Ireland from Brittany or Iceland and do Sea Lion from there. Those 20,000 planes loving love the channel, but barely ever protect the Irish sea.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jul 6, 2016

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Alternatively, Invade Scotland from Norway. England never defends the isles with more than 1 or 2 divisions, so as long as you get a foothold and can ferry a panzer division or two across, you've beat em.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Saint Celestine posted:

England never defends the isles with more than 1 or 2 divisions,

My last Germany game they had around 200 divisions on the isles covering everything, english and american forces, tanks and etc. I invaded with 60 heavy marine divisions and 60 paratroopers, it was the best fight I've had in this game so far, so loving good.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Rookersh posted:

I wish Fascist Poland had a cooler name then Falangist Poland.

It's such a boring name. Who calls themselves that.

I went and tried to change it to something like "Commonwealth of Poland" as a reference to the Poland-Lithuania Commonwealth (Lithuania an obvious early target for Fascist Poland to expand their coast/ports). Sadly I'm finding the localization files to be a tad frustrating to follow...

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Dongattack posted:

My last Germany game they had around 200 divisions on the isles covering everything, english and american forces, tanks and etc. I invaded with 60 heavy marine divisions and 60 paratroopers, it was the best fight I've had in this game so far, so loving good.

What year was it? In my German game in 1940 there was nothing defending the isles at all. I invaded with a single armored division unopposed on a port and then just moved some other guys across and won with no effort. I had only done it as a joke to see, with the intention to load after seeing what would happen.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
When I trade with puppets, will they allow me to take only the resources they aren't using for production or can I take everything? i.e., if I grab all the steel I can, have a utterly crippled their ability to make anything?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Decrepus posted:

What year was it? In my German game in 1940 there was nothing defending the isles at all. I invaded with a single armored division unopposed on a port and then just moved some other guys across and won with no effort. I had only done it as a joke to see, with the intention to load after seeing what would happen.

1953, i always do GB as one of the last invasions and i remember in this particular game i had a hell of a time trying to break their air superiority, hence why it's extra late. It has always been reasonably defended when I've taken it in the lategame tho, maybe they tend to have very little there in the early/mid game.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

The Little Kielbasa posted:

When I trade with puppets, will they allow me to take only the resources they aren't using for production or can I take everything? i.e., if I grab all the steel I can, have a utterly crippled their ability to make anything?

It's still subject to whatever trade law they have in effect, so if they decide to shut down exports you get bupkis.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Dongattack posted:

1953, i always do GB as one of the last invasions and i remember in this particular game i had a hell of a time trying to break their air superiority, hence why it's extra late. It has always been reasonably defended when I've taken it in the lategame tho, maybe they tend to have very little there in the early/mid game.

They do. Whenever I've invaded the UK in the early game, they got their entire army wrecked on the fields of France and in the odd idiot naval invasion, so once I actually manage to land troops they're a pushover.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I don't know that they need to work on the programming of AI sending too many units in to areas with low supply so much as they need to give soft caps to the AI in terms of the number of divisions they build. It just feels like the AI goes nuts on their army size and by the time 42-43 rolls around what felt like a really well built 180-200 division German army is now undermanned in dealing with the (admittedly under-powered) swarms every other nation builds. Maybe the AI could check a function that provides an estimate of the largest army in the world (so likely Russia's, USA's or Germany's), multiply that value by some percent that suggests the relative size and threat felt by that country and build aggressively towards that as a land force, then switch to focus extensively on planes or ships or possibly trying to upgrade all its infantry to motorized/artillery/tanks?

Unrelated- I feel there's a problem with the tank variant system right now in that in the late game it becomes very easy for tanks to be faster than your motorized and mechanized units. I feel like there should be exploitation divisions that can outpace tanks as long as the terrain supports it...

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I don't know that they need to work on the programming of AI sending too many units in to areas with low supply so much as they need to give soft caps to the AI in terms of the number of divisions they build. It just feels like the AI goes nuts on their army size and by the time 42-43 rolls around what felt like a really well built 180-200 division German army is now undermanned in dealing with the (admittedly under-powered) swarms every other nation builds. Maybe the AI could check a function that provides an estimate of the largest army in the world (so likely Russia's, USA's or Germany's), multiply that value by some percent that suggests the relative size and threat felt by that country and build aggressively towards that as a land force, then switch to focus extensively on planes or ships or possibly trying to upgrade all its infantry to motorized/artillery/tanks?

Unrelated- I feel there's a problem with the tank variant system right now in that in the late game it becomes very easy for tanks to be faster than your motorized and mechanized units. I feel like there should be exploitation divisions that can outpace tanks as long as the terrain supports it...

Hey did you ever get your Tay Tay mod fixed?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Charles Get-Out posted:

Hey did you ever get your Tay Tay mod fixed?

Not yet :(

Someone on Steam claimed it was an issue with localization in the DLC files, but I think that's wrong. I still need to play around though and let myself get distracted with work and playing. Maybe this weekend I'll have time.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Although to be fair, the UK generally ends up with such overwhelming air and naval superiority that Operation Sealion ought to be impossible. There shouldn't be any need to garrison England heavily when the channel is swarming with Allied planes and ships.

On that note, nations who capitulate seem to be allowed to keep their entire navy and air force, while losing almost all their ground forces. Surely some of their troops should be able to escape, while some of their ships and planes should be captured?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Apoffys posted:

Although to be fair, the UK generally ends up with such overwhelming air and naval superiority that Operation Sealion ought to be impossible. There shouldn't be any need to garrison England heavily when the channel is swarming with Allied planes and ships.

On that note, nations who capitulate seem to be allowed to keep their entire navy and air force, while losing almost all their ground forces. Surely some of their troops should be able to escape, while some of their ships and planes should be captured?

Yeah them keeping their navy is particularly annoying, since it usually means their main fleet immediately puts to sea and sits there without any plans to move, meaning you have to fight through them to dock in their capital/main port to pick up your army.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Apoffys posted:

[ask] me about how hundreds of Luftwaffe planes escaped to the Far East after the capitulation of Germany and are now blowing up my ships alongside the IJN in the East China Sea

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Empress Theonora posted:

[ask] me about how hundreds of Luftwaffe planes escaped to the Far East after the capitulation of Germany and are now blowing up my ships alongside the IJN in the East China Sea

I had the same problem in an HoI3 play-through. The German airforce kept retreating to other Axis powers...first from Germany to Hungary, then to Romania, then to Japan, then to Manchuria. Because they were around, the game kept Germany as an active nation (maybe Hitler's head was in one of the Stukas?) until I finally went in and manually deleted them because they persisted even after the fall of all the Eastern Axis powers.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Empress Theonora posted:

That's pretty realistic, all they'd have to do is fly into the subtropical jet (stream) and it'd take them straight to Japan.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I think the main issue is that there is never a reason not to build a new division if you have the manpower and the equipment. Before the war starts that holds true for everyone, and even during a war you're not necessarily under threat of running out of equipment if you know what you're doing. It also doesn't help that infantry divisions are very cheap, production wise, so the AI has every incentive to build a lot of them.

What is interesting to me is that people seem to demand both at once - an AI that builds a lot of units to be actually able to hold an extended front and an AI that doesn't build a lot of units because they all suck.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ArchangeI posted:

What is interesting to me is that people seem to demand both at once - an AI that builds a lot of units to be actually able to hold an extended front and an AI that doesn't build a lot of units because they all suck.

How about an AI that doesn't park 30 armored divisions in a couple of spots of a low-supply front to do absolutely nothing with them?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

ArchangeI posted:

I think the main issue is that there is never a reason not to build a new division if you have the manpower and the equipment. Before the war starts that holds true for everyone, and even during a war you're not necessarily under threat of running out of equipment if you know what you're doing. It also doesn't help that infantry divisions are very cheap, production wise, so the AI has every incentive to build a lot of them.

Players manage to build enough divisions to hold an extended front, while not spamming a"divisions" comprised of six men and a dog carrying ammo. I have seldom run into the AI literally having too few divisions to put people on the line. Instead, they have too many lovely divisions and run out of supply without being able to actually fight. I seriously think that supply usage should be based on combat width instead of division count.

It's not a huge game breaking problem for me, but I do look forward to AI division design and usage getting tightened up in the future

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

ArchangeI posted:

A good mix would be an AI who builds a decent amount of well-equipped divisions I think.

Related, how does the AI manage to make so many divisions? Are they all just basic Infantry? I never seem to have the resources to match that pace and, when I try, my divisions seem woefully under-equipped.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Kaza42 posted:

Players manage to build enough divisions to hold an extended front, while not spamming a"divisions" comprised of six men and a dog carrying ammo. I have seldom run into the AI literally having too few divisions to put people on the line. Instead, they have too many lovely divisions and run out of supply without being able to actually fight. I seriously think that supply usage should be based on combat width instead of division count.

It's not a huge game breaking problem for me, but I do look forward to AI division design and usage getting tightened up in the future

But isn't that how it currently works? Supply use is determined by how many (and what type) of troops you have, not how many divisions they are split into. The AI might benefit from building stronger, fewer divisions generally, but I don't see how it would help them with the supply situation.

All-infantry example division:

Half-size version with half the supply use:

Now, the AI does need to learn to avoid low-supply areas (like most of Africa), but if you are going to fight in low-supply areas then small divisions are better than big ones. Especially when you're just garrisoning huge areas of lovely terrain, you just need a tiny infantry division with maybe some engineers attached to hold the area.

Charles Get-Out posted:

Related, how does the AI manage to make so many divisions? Are they all just basic Infantry? I never seem to have the resources to match that pace and, when I try, my divisions seem woefully under-equipped.

The AI generally prefers small divisions, while players like big divisions. They might have the same number of men/guns/tanks/support equipment that you do, they just split it up into smaller chunks. It's a pain to micromanage, but that's not such a big problem for the AI.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Apoffys posted:

But isn't that how it currently works? Supply use is determined by how many (and what type) of troops you have, not how many divisions they are split into. The AI might benefit from building stronger, fewer divisions generally, but I don't see how it would help them with the supply situation.

All-infantry example division:

Half-size version with half the supply use:

Now, the AI does need to learn to avoid low-supply areas (like most of Africa), but if you are going to fight in low-supply areas then small divisions are better than big ones. Especially when you're just garrisoning huge areas of lovely terrain, you just need a tiny infantry division with maybe some engineers attached to hold the area.

The AI generally prefers small divisions, while players like big divisions. They might have the same number of men/guns/tanks/support equipment that you do, they just split it up into smaller chunks. It's a pain to micromanage, but that's not such a big problem for the AI.

It's possible that I'm wrong, but the supply mapmode seems to be conveying how many divisions can be supported in an area. The supply usage seems to be how quickly they will run out of supplies or face attrition once they are beyond that supply limit/out of supply. I haven't extensively tested this, as it's something I just assumed was the case. Can anyone else confirm/deny either side here? If not, I'll try to run a test on it myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Kaza42 posted:

It's possible that I'm wrong, but the supply mapmode seems to be conveying how many divisions can be supported in an area. The supply usage seems to be how quickly they will run out of supplies or face attrition once they are beyond that supply limit/out of supply. I haven't extensively tested this, as it's something I just assumed was the case. Can anyone else confirm/deny either side here? If not, I'll try to run a test on it myself

From when I've used it I'm pretty sure it gives you the unit weight that can be supported in a region, but 1 unit weight isn't the equivalent of 1 divisions because you can have all different shapes and sizes of division which take up differing amounts of supply.