Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Eager to see if they've done any work on the Laloux shorts included with Fantastic Planet. You can get them elsewhere but the quality is not great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Basebf555 posted:

Last month I did a really fun(well, maybe fun isn't the word) double feature of Throne of Blood and that new Macbeth starring Fassbender. Highly recommended.

I originally saw Throne of Blood in a Film & Literature class with Roman Polanski's 1971 version - was a neat pairing as well. I haven't seen the Fassbender one.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Bought Ikiru and The Player and blind-bought Ace in the Hole, In a Lonely Place, and The American Friend today. Should be a good time!

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
I'm considering blind buying the Apu Trilogy, just because of how excellent the restoration is and the soundtrack seems great. Is it worth it if I'm really not that knowledgeable in world cinema?

Raxivace posted:

Bought Ikiru and The Player and blind-bought Ace in the Hole, In a Lonely Place, and The American Friend today. Should be a good time!

Ace in the Hole is a great movie, it's no surprise that critics in the newspaper business hated it. :haw:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Raxivace posted:

How is The Player? I'm trying to stick to ten blu-rays this sale and I was waffling on that one

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Just ordered Darjeeling Limited to complete my Anderson criterion subcollection, Fantastic Planet to complete my animated criterion subcollection (not counting Akira), and Dr. Strangelove because why not.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Riosan posted:

I'm considering blind buying the Apu Trilogy, just because of how excellent the restoration is and the soundtrack seems great. Is it worth it if I'm really not that knowledgeable in world cinema?

They're breathtaking movies. I had only seen the first when I bought the set and I revisit them a lot and share them with friends as much as I can.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

DevCore posted:

Does Amazon match the B&N Criterion sale prices?

I don't believe so.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I just finished In a Lonely Place.

Holy poo poo.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

How is The Player? I'm trying to stick to ten blu-rays this sale and I was waffling on that one
It's my favorite Altman. I think it's both a great celebration and satirical attack on Hollywood. It's actually an interesting contrast to the much more somber In a Lonely Place too.

Riosan posted:

Ace in the Hole is a great movie, it's no surprise that critics in the newspaper business hated it. :haw:
Cool, looking forward to it. I love it when Wilder is pissing people off!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Xenomrph posted:

I think I'm gonna have to get Dr Strangelove this Friday once I get paid.

Just kidding I picked it up on my way home from work. I just couldn't help myself. :kiddo:

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Picked up Mullholland Dr, Naked Lunch, and Fantastic Planet today, and I'll be going back for Carnival of Souls next week and probably others because I have no self control with this sale.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Oh god I can't wait for Cat People.

Bought Fantastic Planet, Sanjuro, Mulholland Dr., and Il Gattopardo.

I really wish Stalker and The Virgin Spring had blu ray releases. :(

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I bought fantastic planet but the Barnes by me sold out of dr stangelove :(

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I really loving love Criterion.

The_Rob posted:

I bought fantastic planet but the Barnes by me sold out of dr stangelove :(

Use the website

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Raxivace posted:

Those are extremely good blind-buys

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Raxivace posted:

I just finished In a Lonely Place.

Holy poo poo.
It is a gloriously devastating movie. Might now be my favorite, too.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Fantastic Planet isn't allowed in my home because something about the animation style makes my skin crawl. I don't know why but it is the scariest movie I've ever seen.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Coaaab posted:

I just rewatched it last night actually. Gloria Grahame is so good, one of the best Bogart performances too.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

RichterIX posted:

Fantastic Planet isn't allowed in my home because something about the animation style makes my skin crawl. I don't know why but it is the scariest movie I've ever seen.
I feel kinda the same way about anything filmed in Supermarionation.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

RichterIX posted:

Agreed. There was a video in that animation style playing on a loop on a TV outside a classroom at my college. For an entire month it played, every day, as I waited for the previous class to be let out.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

GonSmithe posted:

I got Dr. Strangelove, Fantastic Planet, Mulholland Drive and The Apu Trilogy.

All blind buys except Mulholland (I know I'll probably get crucified for not seeing Strangelove).

Ok buddy, we're going to Golgotha. Shameful, who does the vetting round here?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Got Slacker, Dazed and Confused and The Apu Trilogy. Slacker was a blind buy but I've seen a lot of other Linklater movies.

Really looking forward to watching the Apu Trilogy again. I saw it when it was touring art house cinemas last year and was blown away.

I got Dazed and Confused because I saw Everybody Wants Some!!! with my girlfriend and she needs to see it.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Cloks posted:

Got Slacker, Dazed and Confused and The Apu Trilogy. Slacker was a blind buy but I've seen a lot of other Linklater movies.

Really looking forward to watching the Apu Trilogy again. I saw it when it was touring art house cinemas last year and was blown away.

I got Dazed and Confused because I saw Everybody Wants Some!!! with my girlfriend and she needs to see it.

Slacker is ok. Although the more I watch it the more annoying/cliche the characters get.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Also pre-orders don't get the discount. Blood Simple is sitting at $27.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Slacker also comes with a whole other film!!!

I haven't watched it yet myself, but like,
value city bruv

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Why do I feel like buying only 10 movies was way too few? I want to go back tomorrow and get more that I haven't seen before.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Coaaab posted:

I liked that it did to Bogart's post-The Maltese Falcon persona what The Searchers and Vertigo did to John Wayne and James Stewart's. Hell of a movie.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Cloks posted:

I like Slacker a lot--it's kinda like the grungy/alternative/90's dazed and confused. More artsy than humour though, but still fun.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

DevCore posted:

Also pre-orders don't get the discount. Blood Simple is sitting at $27.

Preorders for movies that will come out during the course of the sale (i.e., July releases) do get the discount, though.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

Preorders for movies that will come out during the course of the sale (i.e., July releases) do get the discount, though.

During the last sale I preordered two movies in the store that came out a while after the sale and both were half price.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I've posted this a bunch of times, but here's my current favorite Criterions to recommend...

Lonesome (1928, Paul Fejos)

Right in the transitionary period between silents and talkies, cinema had a burst of innovative films that wouldn't have any equals for years, if not decades or ever. Lonesome is a wonderful film. It's almost neo-realist, except it's sweet and loving. Just two people falling in love over the course of a day. It also has phenomenal photography, plus bursts of hand-tinted color and a few surprise talkie sequences. The film barely survives, via a single print and a few scraps, but it really looks nice on Blu-Ray regardless. The disc also has two more Fejos films made around the same time.

F for Fake (1975, Orson Welles)

Always ahead of his time, Welles makes an "essay documentary" that anticipates the modern subjective documentary. Visually stunning with a mix of archival and new footage, with some of the best editing ever in a film. It also has Welles' sense of humor permeating throughout. This is likely my favorite film of all time. The Blu-Ray features a feature-length documentary on Welles' unfinished works (remastered in HD compared to the DVD) and a commentary with Oja Kodar and Gary Graver that's terrific. Also has a straightforward doc on Elmyr de Hory (which uses the same footage utilized by Welles). One of the most essential releases from Criterion.

The Gold Rush (1925, Charles Chaplin)

While Chaplin's films are obviously well-known, most people haven't seen his original silent version of The Gold Rush. For those familiar via the 1942 re-release, it's like a night and day difference. It's one of his masterpieces. Criterion performed a full digital restoration on the film and had a newly recorded orchestral score (in 5.1!) based on Chaplin's score for the '42 cut. It obviously has the recut on the same disc, as well as plenty of interviews.

People On Sunday (1930, Robert Siodmak/Edgar G. Ulmer)

A good companion film to Lonesome. On the surface, it's a day in the life of a few Germans on holiday. Beautifully shot and edited. It's graceful. The restoration looks amazing and it has an orchestral score (plus an experimental one if you're into that).

The Killing (1956, Stanley Kubrick)

If Kubrick hadn't seen fit to try out every genre, he would have easily been one of the best noir directors. The Killing is his first great film. If the iron-clad plot isn't enough, it has one of the best casts ever in a film (Sterling Hayden, Marie Windsor, Elisha Cook, Timothy Carey, plus a bit part for Joe Turkel). Criterion used a 4K restoration, which makes the film look practically new. Plus, they included Kubrick's previous film Killer's Kiss, which may not be a great film, but entertaining with a sleazy PRC charm mixed with moody NYC photography.

Bigger Than Life (1956, Nicholas Ray)

James Mason stars as a normal school teacher that slowly loses his mind after becoming ill. Mason is always great in every film, but his performance is magnificent. Beautifully photographed in CinemaScope and with just the right amount of sinister undertones. The ending is one of the creepiest I've seen outside of a horror film. Fox's 4K restoration used for the Blu-Ray looks flawless.

A Hard Day's Night (1964, Richard Lester)

This is one of my "dream" releases and never thought Criterion would get it. One of the most influential films of the 60s and a great film on its own. Funny, stylish, clever, and just fun. The 4K restoration is gorgeous (Gilbert Taylor shot this and Dr. Strangelove in the same year!), but one of the real perks are new stereo, and 5.1 remixes utilizing the original 4-track masters from Abbey Road Studios (the original mono track is included too). Supervised by Giles Martin, no less. If that wasn't enough, it's absolutely loaded with extras, particularly highlighting Richard Lester, one of the unsung heroes of 60s cinema.

The Complete Jacques Tati
[includes Jour de Fete, Monsieur Hulot's Holiday, Mon Oncle, Playtime, Trafic, Parade, and short films]

Possibly the most important release in the history of Criterion. This collects the entire body of work of Jacques Tati, including all six of his feature films and the short films he appeared in or directed. All the films are newly remastered, with Playtime being a new 4K restoration from the wide format negative. If that's not enough, they include two alternate cuts for Jour de Fete (the original '49 cut is the primary version, plus Tati's 1964 re-release and the 1995 color restoration), two cuts of Holiday (primary is Tati's 1978 re-release, but the 1953 original is also included), and the English language version of Mon Oncle. Plus hours and hours of other extras. Even the short films were fully restored. Absolutely essential.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Raxivace posted:

I liked that it did to Bogart's post-The Maltese Falcon persona what The Searchers and Vertigo did to John Wayne and James Stewart's. Hell of a movie.

It's also apparently close to his real personality. He could be real charming, but had anger and booze issues

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Egbert Souse posted:

F for Fake (1975, Orson Welles)

Always ahead of his time, Welles makes an "essay documentary" that anticipates the modern subjective documentary. Visually stunning with a mix of archival and new footage, with some of the best editing ever in a film. It also has Welles' sense of humor permeating throughout. This is likely my favorite film of all time. The Blu-Ray features a feature-length documentary on Welles' unfinished works (remastered in HD compared to the DVD) and a commentary with Oja Kodar and Gary Graver that's terrific. Also has a straightforward doc on Elmyr de Hory (which uses the same footage utilized by Welles). One of the most essential releases from Criterion.

Seconded on every count. The editing in F For Fake is some of the best I've ever seen.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The In-Laws
Lady Snowblood
Only Angels Have Wings
To Be or Not To Be
The Manchurian Candidate
Rushmore
The Kennedy Films of...
My Darling Clementine

Everything but Rushmore is a blind buy. My B&N didn't have In A Lonely Place, gonna try to grab that at a different one tomorrow.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Yo, Canucks - HMV is doing an online 20% off sale of Criterions for basically the same time period. Inferior discounts and selection but considering the shipping costs and exchange rates you'd have to deal with from B&N it's probably worth checking into. Also some of the DVDs cost more than the blu-rays :wtc:

Edit: For 2 movies + shipping it would cost me $73 CDN vs $67 CDN from B&N after conversion at current exchange rate. LOL what bullshit

Cacator fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 7, 2016

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
BNTROPICAL code is live and working - got The Apu Trilogy, The Kid, and Dr Strangelove for $82US ($109AU) shipped.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

The Killing (1956, Stanley Kubrick)

If Kubrick hadn't seen fit to try out every genre, he would have easily been one of the best noir directors. The Killing is his first great film. If the iron-clad plot isn't enough, it has one of the best casts ever in a film (Sterling Hayden, Marie Windsor, Elisha Cook, Timothy Carey, plus a bit part for Joe Turkel). Criterion used a 4K restoration, which makes the film look practically new. Plus, they included Kubrick's previous film Killer's Kiss, which may not be a great film, but entertaining with a sleazy PRC charm mixed with moody NYC photography.

A Hard Day's Night (1964, Richard Lester)

This is one of my "dream" releases and never thought Criterion would get it. One of the most influential films of the 60s and a great film on its own. Funny, stylish, clever, and just fun. The 4K restoration is gorgeous (Gilbert Taylor shot this and Dr. Strangelove in the same year!), but one of the real perks are new stereo, and 5.1 remixes utilizing the original 4-track masters from Abbey Road Studios (the original mono track is included too). Supervised by Giles Martin, no less. If that wasn't enough, it's absolutely loaded with extras, particularly highlighting Richard Lester, one of the unsung heroes of 60s cinema.

Thanks. I'll get both of these.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Lady Snowblood

Everything but Rushmore is a blind buy. My B&N didn't have In A Lonely Place, gonna try to grab that at a different one tomorrow.

If you've seen Kill Bill before, watching this one might end up pissing you off.... after you realize how much QT ripped off from it. Too bad the second Lady Snowblood isn't too hot.

The only thing I can think of that I really want to buy is "The New World", which wouldn't get me free shipping. Might have to wait until it's released and pick it up in store.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I picked up Moonrise Kingdom yesterday and the packaging on it is really nice. There's a few little trinkets in there that fit in with the weird but charming world of the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zandert33 posted:

If you've seen Kill Bill before, watching this one might end up pissing you off.... after you realize how much QT ripped off from it. Too bad the second Lady Snowblood isn't too hot.

I felt that he also stole a bunch from Dragon Inn for Hateful 8. I can not wait for it to be released.