Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

420 Gank Mid posted:

Playing as orcs and you only have 2 units of cav? Orc Boar Boy Big'uns are far and away the most useful cavalry anywhere near that kind of price. Its heavy armor, has a shield, armor piercing damage, anti-large, and has a huge charge bonus.

If they came unmounted in unit sizes of 60+ they would be exactly the kind of strong line infantry people have been complaining about orcs not having earlier in this thread. They are amazing counter cavalry because of their huge damage vs enemy armored cavalry and the morale shock of a full rear charge from these guys is comparable to Reiksguard-tier cavalry.

Their only weakness is low morale and relatively lovely combat stats when they aren't charging, but they are so cheap it almost doesnt matter because you can bring 4 boar boy big uns for every 2 units of heavy cav your enemy can field.

Use half your boar boys to deal with enemy cavalry, either by tying them up long enough for AP infantry to surround them or by getting your melee line charged and then hitting them in the back with the boars

And then use the other half to disable the enemy artillery and harry their missile infantry

Big 'uns, either in cav or non-cav mode, don't come with shields. You may as well stick with normal boar boyz imo, both have terrible stats overall but atleast the boar boyz won't melt under arrow fire. Also cheaper, earlier tier yadda yadda.

Also not sure what you mean by them being as good as a reiksguard, going by
http://whenc.totalwar.com/#/unit_compare/wh_main_grn_cav_orc_boar_boy_big_uns,wh_main_emp_cav_reiksguard
The reiksguard have super superiour stats, are you talking stuff like hidden mass weight or whatever?

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jul 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

VC legendary lord will be the Red Duke in Mousillon, so you can start out conquering Bretonnia.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

wiegieman posted:

VC legendary lord will be the Red Duke in Mousillon, so you can start out conquering Bretonnia.

That would be pretty cool, though he'd be the first lord to start out in a minor region, not a major one. That might be a tough start.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Sjonnar posted:

That would be pretty cool, though he'd be the first lord to start out in a minor region, not a major one. That might be a tough start.

Well, Blood Dragon, so he'd be a mounted Grimgor if they do it right. Just charge down an entire infantry unit all on his own.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gejnor posted:

Also not sure what you mean by them being as good as a reiksguard, going by
http://whenc.totalwar.com/#/unit_compare/wh_main_grn_cav_orc_boar_boy_big_uns,wh_main_emp_cav_reiksguard
The reiksguard have super superiour stats, are you talking stuff like hidden mass weight or whatever?

I did some battle tests just now 1v1 mounted fights, and i have to admit i am utterly wrong on one count: Big 'un orc Boyz actually kill both Empire Knights and Reiksguard ( did not try with demigryphs but come on we know how that'd end), sure they are left with only like 20% of their members when done (especially reiksguard) but they DO win against them.

They cost the same as Empire Knights, exactly the same actually, 900 currency and 225 upkeep, so im not sure calling them cheap is accurate, but since they can beat a more expensive unit, the Reiksguard at 1200/300, it does kind of even out.

I still kinda hold onto normal Boar Boyz though, they are better against infantry (or permanently against dwarfs because they don't have big units) because of their shield, but if there is another factor in here im missing please point it out to me!

I seriously want to be proven wrong about most of theese things. I want to stop worry and love the greenskins.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Gejnor posted:

I still kinda hold onto normal Boar Boyz though, they are better against infantry (or permanently against dwarfs because they don't have big units) because of their shield, but if there is another factor in here im missing please point it out to me!

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Pretty sure the VC legendary lord is gonna be Krell. Kemmler even has that quest where you discover his tomb. Plus, I mean, it'd give VC the tanky melee-focused LL they lack. (Although, in reality, Mannfred is all of that plus a caster, but still...)

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

So?

Not to be rude or anything but you do realise Boar Boys are also AP? Its.. a 4 damage point difference, and once again if you're facing Dwarfs you kinda want a shield so you don't melt under their quarreller spam.

Also, in both cases you don't want your boars stuck in fighting infantry, rather cycle charging to upset their formations and tank their morale , so what difference does a bit more AP damage do? That AP on big'uns is better used against other armoured cav, not infantry!

Edit: Also another thing, uhm, you guys who are having an easy time with Orcs, what unit size are you on? That picture is set on larger and it made me realise something: Orcs may very well be easier on lower unit sizes since they rely on charging, something that is affected immensely by what kind of mass they hit upon impact. On ultra, as we all know, its much much easier to take a charge than it is on say, medium. An almost extreme example but you get my point.

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jul 7, 2016

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

wiegieman posted:

Well, Blood Dragon, so he'd be a mounted Grimgor if they do it right. Just charge down an entire infantry unit all on his own.

I meant strategically. Mousillon is the minor town in the Lyonesse province, which is only a two-region province, and has no big money building, if I remember correctly. Unlike KAK, Black Crag, Sylvania, or Reikland.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sjonnar posted:

I meant strategically. Mousillon is the minor town in the Lyonesse province, which is only a two-region province, and has no big money building, if I remember correctly. Unlike KAK, Black Crag, Sylvania, or Reikland.

It'd be interesting, you'd be facing completely different enemies too. But i wonder if they'll change the minor settlement in anyway to make it more competetive with the FLC addon.

It may also very well be that even if we did get the Red Duke he'd start out in Drakenhof anyways.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Gejnor posted:

So?

Not to be rude or anything but you do realise Boar Boys are also AP? Its.. a 4 damage point difference, and once again if you're facing Dwarfs you kinda want a shield so you don't melt under their quarreller spam.

Also, in both cases you don't want your boars stuck in fighting infantry, rather cycle charging to upset their formations and tank their morale , so what difference does a bit more AP damage do? That AP on big'uns is better used against other armoured cav, not infantry!

Edit: Also another thing, uhm, you guys who are having an easy time with Orcs, what unit size are you on? That picture is set on larger and it made me realise something: Orcs may very well be easier on lower unit sizes since they rely on charging, something that is affected immensely by what kind of mass they hit upon impact. On ultra, as we all know, its much much easier to take a charge than it is on say, medium. An almost extreme example but you get my point.

I don't know what you mean by "Unit Size"

EDIT: This game I took the Everfailure down so hard that he's been running like a coward into the Chaos Wastes, where Franz has been chasing him at a speed slow enough to encamp. Ever since we wiped out his bird friend. He had Prince Pretty to slow us down... by which I mean it was Sigvald all alone and after being shelled by Mortars while he charged Franz just swooped down on him. I'm also starting to raid the Varg and wipe them out. This game is taking longer but I'm achieving more.

On the downside the Orc hordes have almost crushed the Dwarves, I had to direct my dwarven vassals to go help out. In a shocking turn of events not only did Nordland survive the initial Norcen assault, they've down right recovered.

Power Standings in the game so far

Empire (Myelf)
Bretonia
Greenskins
Bordeleaux
Karak Kadrin (Vassals)

And at the very bottom of the list

21. Varg
22. Bloody Spears
23. Warriors of Chaos

Onmi fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jul 7, 2016

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Onmi posted:

I don't know what you mean by "Unit Size"

You know.. Unit Size? How many dudes are in each unit..? You can change it in the graphics setting? I think its set to Larger by default.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Gejnor posted:

You know.. Unit Size? How many dudes are in each unit..? You can change it in the graphics setting? I think its set to Larger by default.

No. I did not know that.

EDIT: Killed the Everfailure

LONG CAMPAIGN VICTORY!

I feel like continuing anyway and making a personal goal to wipe out the Skaleg, Varg and Orcs

Onmi fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jul 7, 2016

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Orc Boar Big'uns have a bonus vs large (like regular Big'uns!) in addition to AP, that's why they're so strong vs most cav units.

Against dwarves though, it's true they aren't much of an upgrade.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I just had a game where Kislev beat the bloody piss put of Chaos and owned half the Empire

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Gejnor, here's a replay of one of grimgor's quest battles. My forces aren't overwhelming and I manage to win comfortably. I've got some big'uns, boyz, goblin archers, and night goblins.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/drwrgvj7pgvc0ec/brutal%20kunnin.replay?dl=0

Go to appdata/roaming/TheCreativeAssembly/Warhammer and put it in your replay folder and you should be able to view it from there.

ZenVulgarity posted:

I just had a game where Kislev beat the bloody piss put of Chaos and owned half the Empire

:poland:

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

So The Onion had some article about pope Francis being devoured by a shoggoth but I think this accompanying image just about sums up the Empire in this game:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Played the amulet of sea gold quest last night. It's funny how battles go significantly better when you have the right tools and aren't being an idiot about using them.

Specifically, I discovered that:

1)Magic is really really really really really really really helpful in killing spooky goasts. In the first Amulet of Sea Gold battle, I got severely owned by the one unit of Cairn Wraiths, who only died because I caused their army to crumble. When I saw the unit of Hexwraiths in this battle, I freaked out and immediately tossed Flaming Weapons on the spear guys I sent to intercept, then dropped a Flame Storm just to be certain. I promptly forgot about that flank, until I realized that everything was dead.

2) holy poo poo I have not been using missile units correctly. Had my main line set up like this (W:warrior priest, S:swordsman, H:handgunner, C:crossbow, M: mortar):

code:
 HHH -> set up in skirmish
WSSSS
 CCC
  MM
The combined fire of the crossbow and handgunners completely melted the advancing troops, and they basically routed on contact. It was ridiculous. I was able to tie up the flanking wolves with my demigryphs and WP. I've been a little at a loss for what to do with guns, this really clinched it.

Overall I lost like 90 units to kill about 1600 undead. I mean, sure, I play on Easy, this is no great feat, but I don't think I've ever personally managed a battle this successful that wasn't a castle defense, so it was a great personal victory.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Seems like you are ready for a difficulty jump!

A good empire or VC campaign is next on my list after I dominate the world with dwarfs. I'm currently on turn 80 or so and I've wiped out the greenskins, so the only real southern threat left is the savage orcs. In this campaign my dwarf bros showed up in a big way and have helped me dominate the south. The northern dwarfs with the red icon (can't remember their name) had annoying somehow managed to take a single settlement in most of my provinces, but for some reason in one turn they went from 'hell no we won't confederate' to 'you complete us, please confederate with us', seemingly all because some rebels took over an inconsequential settlement of theirs (Grom's Peak).

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

unwantedplatypus posted:

Gejnor, here's a replay of one of grimgor's quest battles. My forces aren't overwhelming and I manage to win comfortably. I've got some big'uns, boyz, goblin archers, and night goblins.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/drwrgvj7pgvc0ec/brutal%20kunnin.replay?dl=0

Go to appdata/roaming/TheCreativeAssembly/Warhammer and put it in your replay folder and you should be able to view it from there.

Nice close defeat bra! :v:

Okay no the replay just hosed up, which is what i assumed would happen.

Also, i see you ARE playing on Larger Unit Size, which makes me think my suspicion is correct, that its easier to win as orcs the smaller your unit size is.

I have noticed that stuff is way more squishy on smaller unit sizes, and that plays well with orcs 'alpha burst' damage when they charge (not to mention make vanilla magic actually decent damage-wise), so that may very well help quite a bit.

Also i had a fight earlier where its painfully obvious my current PC is not up to the task anymore, 2v2 armies, with me and my waagh vs thorgrim and his garrison dudes reinforcing in the wrong place so i could mcmurder them, the game loving started stuttering like crazy, not FPS drop exactly, but stuttering, turning the units into clay-mation like things. It was both horrifying and intruiging.

Um accttuaally its both :poland: and :ussr:!!!! get it right unghhh!!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
In a lot of ways, Large unit size is what the game is balanced around, so I wouldn't play on Ultra unless you have mods to make it work.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Seems like you are ready for a difficulty jump!

Yeah I'm thinking that for VC I'll pop up to normal.

How much do disrupted formations affect a unit's fighting ability, and in what ways? I can never quite tell how a unit is being affected (if at all) if they're not all in straight, orderly lines. Obviously, the ability of large stuff to knock people around is an advantage in some what, I'm just not sure what.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Individual models in Warhammer Total War physically attack and damage each other, so disrupted formations mean that the men in your formation are potentially being attacked by multiples of the enemy at the same time. It's pretty bad, but the contextual nature of that makes it also hard to put a number on.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

ChickenWing posted:

Yeah I'm thinking that for VC I'll pop up to normal.

How much do disrupted formations affect a unit's fighting ability, and in what ways? I can never quite tell how a unit is being affected (if at all) if they're not all in straight, orderly lines. Obviously, the ability of large stuff to knock people around is an advantage in some what, I'm just not sure what.

When models are on the ground, they aren't attacking. Models away from their formation are easier to surround and cut down

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Fangz posted:

In a lot of ways, Large unit size is what the game is balanced around, so I wouldn't play on Ultra unless you have mods to make it work.

Its fully viable to play Ultra, and its almost preferable if you're playing one of the more "defensive" races like Empire or Dwarfs, though Empire are the ones who see the bigger benefit of course, making those swordmen last for ages. But i agree overall, it seems to me now that ive been playing it on the 'wrong' setting more or less.

ChickenWing posted:

Fangz is correct, it also makes the unit lose mass which is important when charging, if the unit who takes the charge has greater mass than the one charging, not that much damage will be done. However if the unit is spread out and is in dissarray, the mass impact of the charge will severly damage the units caught in it.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Okay, that makes sense - charging units should be formed up for maximum impact, charged-at units should be formed up for maximum resistance. What about regular unit-on-unit fighting - doesn't maximizing the enemy's exposed surface area open up your units to recieving more attacks?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

ChickenWing posted:

Okay, that makes sense - charging units should be formed up for maximum impact, charged-at units should be formed up for maximum resistance. What about regular unit-on-unit fighting - doesn't maximizing the enemy's exposed surface area open up your units to recieving more attacks?

It does, in general if you want the unit to deal damage then it should be in a wide line to maximize the damage output. If you want it to soak damage, make it a sturdy block so there's less units in the fight to be hit.

As a good example, Orcs are mainly chargers and fighters, so a long line so as many can get stuck as possible in is best. Meanwhile Dwarfs tend to be fairly mediocre in melee, but tough and there to hold them while the ranged does work. So you want to form them up into squares, or even thinner rectangles to reduce the size of your front line they can attack.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

When you charge should you charge in a thin formation or a wide formation?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Onmi posted:

A reasonably wide formation but not completely stretched out is best. That way you get the widest impact area for the charge but keep some mass behind it.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Fans posted:

It does, in general if you want the unit to deal damage then it should be in a wide line to maximize the damage output. If you want it to soak damage, make it a sturdy block so there's less units in the fight to be hit.

As a good example, Orcs are mainly chargers and fighters, so a long line so as many can get stuck as possible in is best. Meanwhile Dwarfs tend to be fairly mediocre in melee, but tough and there to hold them while the ranged does work. So you want to form them up into squares, or even thinner rectangles to reduce the size of your front line they can attack.

But if the opposing units are wider won't they wrap around your units and hit the sides?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Can you guys recommend a mod that makes combat last just a little bit longer without making a lot of big sweeping changes? It's just annoying to spend time setting up the perfect formation and positioning for flanks and then have the battle be over before the flanking units can join the fray.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

goodness posted:

But if the opposing units are wider won't they wrap around your units and hit the sides?

Then you shoot at them with your missile units

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

goodness posted:

If you don't have a tight line yes, but this just makes them an easy target for your Rifles and Archers.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Onmi posted:

Think about it this way:

If you outnumber the enemy then you want to have a long line to try and get them to stretch out, or of they don't you surround them and attack from all sides.

If you're a small elite army, you want to present the most condensed front you can, to minimise the number of enemy units they can bring to fight you.

So if you're an orc player with loads of boys you want a big long line, and as the centre crashes into the enemy army you loop the ends around and attack from multiple sides.

If you're a dwarf player you want to basically avoid that as much as possible, but if you're outnumbered then you're better off forming a tight square to prevent the enemy from using their numbers against you.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So I'm being attacked by Orcs with two armies with only Franz to fight back. However when I tried the battle, because the enemy started right next to me, I placed my Handgunners behind me so they just unloaded on the reinforcing enemies and shredded them. I also had my Artillery back there, but I'm not sure it worked. My flaw, of course, was also setting up my Halberdiers as a battleline there rather than setting them up to protect my rear. So by the time I finished routing these guys almost entirely by Handgunner fire, the orcs crashed into my back. I'm going to try this battle again because I really think, even if the prediction says I can't, that I can gently caress these guys up.

EDIT: So good, I don't care if most of my troops are down to 10 men, I crushed them!

Onmi fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 7, 2016

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

When you say "square", do you actually mean forming your troops in an outward facing square?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Is the AI generally smart enough to take back its settlements? I'm tearing through the orc hordes with Karl and I'm wondering if they're going to be bright enough to take back their capital since I've given them 8000 Gold.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Onmi posted:

Is the AI generally smart enough to take back its settlements? I'm tearing through the orc hordes with Karl and I'm wondering if they're going to be bright enough to take back their capital since I've given them 8000 Gold.

I've found that (at least on Easy) the AI is weird about taking settlements at all. I'm currently farting around the Badlands as Franz trying to help the Dwarves get back on their Feet (and also get Ghal Maraz) and they are barely even looking at razed settlements. Hell, they're sitting and sieging empty orc settlements with a full-banner Thorgrim army.

I don't know if this is just the difficulty making the AI stupid or if CA has weighted taking settlements as too difficult and resettling as too expensive.

Speaking of resettling, is there any disadvantage (besides vulnerability) to only using a lord to resettle? I realized that resettling was decimating the full armies I'd been using, so I started using smaller armies. I then realized that just sending a lord out to resettle takes 0 troops and doesn't drain his health. Is this costing me more gold, or have I optimized the process?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
A tip for those struggling with rebels, always take the province capital as quickly as possible, rebels will always spawn at the capital if you own it, otherwise they will spawn in some backwater town and immediately attack because it has no walls, the walls in the main city will keep the rebels busy for multiple turns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

ChickenWing posted:

I've found that (at least on Easy) the AI is weird about taking settlements at all. I'm currently farting around the Badlands as Franz trying to help the Dwarves get back on their Feet (and also get Ghal Maraz) and they are barely even looking at razed settlements. Hell, they're sitting and sieging empty orc settlements with a full-banner Thorgrim army.

I don't know if this is just the difficulty making the AI stupid or if CA has weighted taking settlements as too difficult and resettling as too expensive.

In my long legendary VC campaign I cleared out most of the badlands except for one little tribe of greenskins because they had vampiric influence. Eventually they resettled the whole southern area and then went on a rampage against the empire. The empire will also start to re-colonize the north after chaos tears it up if you let them. They just don't do it very quickly.

• Locked thread