Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

e: fixed

LifeSunDeath has a new favorite as of 00:32 on Jul 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

teh weird url

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Efexeye posted:

my wife cooks for 36 hours on thanksgiving and the day before and then eats nothing until an hour after the meal when she has a bowl of cold mashed potatoes, stuffing and gravy with a turkey sandwich.

I sort of get this. Any time I make a really involved meal I just want a cigarette and to stare at people eating it. The desire to eat it just vanishes.

mania
Sep 9, 2004

CuteStorm posted:

And finally, the one that really made my skin crawl. This one just said "dessert".

I think that's longan. It looks like cheng teng, just with more longan and less of everything else.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

RNG posted:

I sort of get this. Any time I make a really involved meal I just want a cigarette and to stare at people eating it. The desire to eat it just vanishes.

This is me too. Usually if I spend more than an hour or two cooking some huge meal, I've tasted it so much along the way that I'm already full and completely over the whole thing by the time it's ready

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Is that chopped butter?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

RNG posted:

Make Mexican food, then, because that stuff gets better after a night in the fridge and a microwaving.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

What the absolute gently caress. This is like the polar opposite of the kid who won't eat anything that touches anything else. I'm imagining him eating with a serving spoon. How does a person even get this way?

5 foot 9, 195 lbs, not an ounce of fat, and died in the traces at 93 years old. He was a lifelong farmer and just wanted to get the eating out of the way so he could get back in the field. Sometimes you just need calories and you don't care what you're eating I guess.

Your imagination is correct, he always ate his puddle of slop with a serving spoon.

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
Beloved(?) OP Aces is incapacitated and requested this find its way here.

I can only surmise that is because he tried to eat it and is now making peace with the world.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Not gonna lie, instant ramen sandwiches are delicious

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fong posted:

Not gonna lie, instant ramen sandwiches are delicious

I really did not want to know that was a thing. poo poo.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yakisoba pan are indeed a thing and a popular convenience store food in Japan

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Yakisoba pan are indeed a thing and a popular convenience store food in Japan

The ones from the combini are not good though.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

It's Cash Crabs smaller, cuter brother: Cash Prawn!

Gridlocked has a new favorite as of 06:12 on Jul 8, 2016

LSD CURES JUNKIES
Sep 12, 2013

Oh the chicken festival. The first few years I lived here downtown it was awesome but I've lived here so long now that I just find it totally annoying and I dread September now. The chicken is apparently pretty good but I'll be damned if I'll pay what they want for it when I live across the street and can make my own.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RNG posted:

If you're sampling constantly (like you should) then your appetite should be shot by the time you're done

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Afraid I would most probably try it, and suspect I would enjoy it. I love me some fried chicken.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

mostlygray posted:

5 foot 9, 195 lbs, not an ounce of fat, and died in the traces at 93 years old. He was a lifelong farmer and just wanted to get the eating out of the way so he could get back in the field. Sometimes you just need calories and you don't care what you're eating I guess.

Your imagination is correct, he always ate his puddle of slop with a serving spoon.

Some people are definitely like this. Eating is just a waste of time, etc. These are the people who come up with Soylent.

I mean, not me, food and savoring it is a source of great joy. But some just have no desire or patience for it.

Potato Swift
Oct 27, 2012

i fought the saw and the saw won

Breakfast burrito filling rule: the more it looks like cat horf, the tastier it is.

Somebody has a new favorite as of 06:01 on Jul 9, 2016

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Gridlocked posted:

It's Cash Crabs smaller, cuter brother: Cash Prawn Small Pastry!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I wish I had taken a picture of this one.

As a bit of set up, my mother is about as terrible of cook as you can get. She's vaguely aware of the concept of cooking, but approaches in a cargo cult fashion. She seems to think that if she just shoves things that vaguely resemble the food she wants to make together that it'll result in something good.

She also has a garden. And like most gardens it produces way more vegetables than a person can actually eat since you don't want to have zucchini four days a week. And she doesn't understand that you have to pick vegetables when you are going to use them so she inevitably picks them and lets them rot on her table.

So last night she decided to make dinner. And she wanted to use some of her bumper crop of cucumbers. So what she did was peel and slice up a few cucumbers, put them in a bowl, and then dumped white vinegar on them.

I did not make that up.

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

Random Stranger posted:

As a bit of set up, my mother is about as terrible of cook as you can get. She's vaguely aware of the concept of cooking, but approaches in a cargo cult fashion. She seems to think that if she just shoves things that vaguely resemble the food she wants to make together that it'll result in something good.

She also has a garden. And like most gardens it produces way more vegetables than a person can actually eat since you don't want to have zucchini four days a week. And she doesn't understand that you have to pick vegetables when you are going to use them so she inevitably picks them and lets them rot on her table.

So last night she decided to make dinner. And she wanted to use some of her bumper crop of cucumbers. So what she did was peel and slice up a few cucumbers, put them in a bowl, and then dumped white vinegar on them.

I did not make that up.

As terrible as that sounds, it's not too far off from a real thing. I think the real dish involves adding sugar though, which doesn't make it sound that much more appetizing, granted.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

On it's way to pressgurka, Swedish cucumber salad. Fresh seedless cucumbers, salt, sugar, vinegar and parsley.

This is one of the traditional sides for Swedish meatballs.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Sparr posted:

I made a Meatloaf Princess fanart

Guess what.

She knows.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

axolotl farmer posted:

On it's way to pressgurka, Swedish cucumber salad. Fresh seedless cucumbers, salt, sugar, vinegar and parsley.

This is one of the traditional sides for Swedish meatballs.

I frequently make something like this, minus the parsley and with pepper instead of salt. Nice and fresh side dish, even though it's kind of ghetto.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

davidspackage posted:

I frequently make something like this, minus the parsley and with pepper instead of salt. Nice and fresh side dish, even though it's kind of ghetto.

Its also really good with lime juice and mint.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I love William Gibson's description of a breakfast burrito in The Peripheral:

'Jimmy's breakfast burritos were gross. Scrambled eggs and chopped-up bacon, green onions. Exactly what she wanted right now.'

There is a party store up the road here that makes almost this exact burrito, but with potatoes also. It's the best breakfast in town.

Uhn
Oct 6, 2011

here comes george
in control

A bowl full of happiness with lime and mint

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Nostradingus posted:

Guess what.

She knows.

MP if you're reading this, I will try a mystery loaf when I visit my mother next (I will also trip report).

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Random Stranger posted:

I did not make that up.

Cucumbers in vinegar is a great, light snack and okay as a side inasmuch as things like carrot sticks are

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Nostradingus posted:

Guess what.

She knows.

She probably saw the increase in traffic lead back to Something Awful and did some investigating. I do that when I see spikes on my channel.

Hi Meatloaf Princess! We should have a meatloaf picnic someday!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Random Stranger posted:

[....]

I did not make that up.

This is a totally normal dish that people who are good cooks make all the time. I would have added thinly sliced red onions and fresh dill; other people would have added sugar and/or parsley, and so on, but "fresh cucumbers plus vinegar" is the basis of a standard summer side salad.

Did we all miss something that made this afp, or do you just not like cucumbers? Or vinegar?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Malt vinegar and chopped garlic with diced cucumber is a pretty standard salad but white vinegar? That's a bit weird isn't?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
straight vinegar is a bit odd but thai style cucumber relish/salad uses white vinegar, sugar, salt and hot peppers.

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese
I unfortunately do not have a picture of the stuff, but a cafeteria I worked at had to serve about eight hundred Chinese people. To that end, we did our best to make the place look "Asian," as my supervisors said.

We had bamboo, asiany flowers, the works. Then we made the food.

Usually we make fish because this Chinese group is notorious for eating fish like it has cocaine laced into it, but in another section of the building we served Ramen noodles.

I went over to eat it because I wanted my life to be more like my Japanese animes, but it wasn't ramen. They labeled it ramen, but instead they served spaghetti noodles.

As an Anime American I was insulted. So in an effort to serve the Chinese something culturally relevant, we served them a Japanese meal using Italian noodles. These people also turned out to be from Taiwan.
:gonk:

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

AlbieQuirky posted:

This is a totally normal dish that people who are good cooks make all the time. I would have added thinly sliced red onions and fresh dill; other people would have added sugar and/or parsley, and so on, but "fresh cucumbers plus vinegar" is the basis of a standard summer side salad.

Did we all miss something that made this afp, or do you just not like cucumbers? Or vinegar?

I think the implication was that the cucumbers were... not that fresh, since

Random Stranger posted:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

AlbieQuirky posted:

I love to do that pickled salad with cukes, onion, and tomatoes in a nice tangy vinaigrette. You load it in a jar and let it steep in the fridge for a couple of days.

I am so glad there are some restaurants that serve a good version, since I generally can't wait for the steeping time to finish...

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Nazareth posted:

I unfortunately do not have a picture of the stuff, but a cafeteria I worked at had to serve about eight hundred Chinese people. To that end, we did our best to make the place look "Asian," as my supervisors said.

We had bamboo, asiany flowers, the works. Then we made the food.

Usually we make fish because this Chinese group is notorious for eating fish like it has cocaine laced into it, but in another section of the building we served Ramen noodles.

I went over to eat it because I wanted my life to be more like my Japanese animes, but it wasn't ramen. They labeled it ramen, but instead they served spaghetti noodles.

As an Anime American I was insulted. So in an effort to serve the Chinese something culturally relevant, we served them a Japanese meal using Italian noodles. These people also turned out to be from Taiwan.
:gonk:

Spaghetti is fine as a alternative in a lot of noodle dishes. I'll stir fry and use them in noodle soups a lot because they tend to hold their texture longer and better if they're in a broth.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You can turn spaghetti into something very close to a ramen noodle by adding a little baking soda to the cooking water.

Also given the things people in Asia do to western food you shouldn't ever feel bad about doing the same the other way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

EorayMel posted:

There is a "trend" going on where you let a yeast and bacteria amalgam fester and make tea out of it called kombucha. You start with a kombucha scoby or "mother."

Ugh, kombucha is so gross. It's just vinegar made from tea with the mother still in it.