Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Halloween Jack posted:

As a kid, I always pounded mine against the counter to make them come out of the package broken into little noodles.

I love reading those old hand-to-hand manuals full of pro wrestling moves and where a sleeper hold is a "Japanese deathlock."

Hell yeah pound them into bits and eat them dry. Classic kid snack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ensign Expendable posted:

Army manuals have instructions on how to fart silently, you can't be too careful.
Makes sense, the deadlier the better.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

The cheese/butter thing is more that it's always spreadable (sort of) and thus can be used to stick things onto crackers, etc.

Fatty posted:

Is it a genuine worry that some chocolate fiend will give away your position to the enemy?

In peacetime army terms, it makes them great for eating on sentry duty in the small hours of the morning if you're out in the bush on exercise.

E: also, check the underside of the match tube. There should be a little flint just in case the striker pad comes unstuck!

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 7, 2016

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Jaguars! posted:

E: also, check the underside of the match tube. There should be a little flint just in case the striker pad comes unstuck!

Hahahah that's so cool. I guess you could use it to strike a spark off a knife or gun barrel or something? Or is it just another way to light the matches?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Initial opinion on the Kazakhstani ration: Ukrainian redux. It even tastes the same.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm so, so sorry.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

hogmartin posted:

I'm more amazed that the instant noodles made it in at all. Are they the same as an ordinary pack of dry Nissin or Maruchan or whatever? I can't imagine them making it through an ordinary day without being pulverized into unsatisfying little bits.

There is no comparison between Maruchan and Nissin. Nissin is lowest possible effort all the way.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Samizdata posted:

There is no comparison between Maruchan and Nissin. Nissin is lowest possible effort all the way.

One day you'll run into Zombie Momofuku Ando and a little girl in a chicken costume in a dark alley and they'll change your mind :colbert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp0ml75idjI

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 8, 2016

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Cumslut1895 posted:

Hahahah that's so cool. I guess you could use it to strike a spark off a knife or gun barrel or something? Or is it just another way to light the matches?

Use a knife to strike it. Probably pretty hard to use compared to a proper sized flint.

Up until two years ago, the matches came in a smaller, flimsier tube without the flint. There was only five non-weatherproof so a couple of times I had cold rats due to running out of matches on a windy day. After that Ex I bought a lighter from the base store and once I graduated basic I bought a gas stove like everyone else.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Samizdata posted:

Nissin is much saltier than Maruchan.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

hogmartin posted:

One day you'll run into Zombie Momofuku Ando and a little girl in a chicken costume in a dark alley and they'll change your mind :colbert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp0ml75idjI

We'll see. I have eaten a metric shitton of ramen over my lifespan, restaurant, Hawaiian baseball game, good instant and bad instant. Nissin is the worst of them. Most of them don't really taste of anything other half-assedly umami. Beef doesn't really taste of beef. The chicken at least tastes like not beef. (I don't do shrimp. Long bad story.)

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Nissin is much saltier than Maruchan.

Also this.

Colgrim
Jul 23, 2009
Mama's is the best ramen. Creamy tom yum is the best mama's.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Nongshim is much better than Nissin/Maruchan.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

AceRimmer posted:

Nongshim is much better than Nissin/Maruchan.

True ramen connoisseurs enjoy Nongshim Black.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

monster on a stick posted:

True ramen connoisseurs enjoy Nongshim Black.
:respek:

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Korean ramyun in general seems to have bolder flavors and sturdier noodles. If you want to go on a pain-induced vision quest, grab a pack of the Teumsae stuff.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
If you have a Korean market near you, get this stuff: http://www.theramenrater.com/2014/07/13/1430-buldak-bokkummyeon/

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Do people honestly think that Korean instant ramen is spicy

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

AnonSpore posted:

Some people.

There's a buldalk ramyeon that is pretty solid though. This stuff:

Buldalk means fire chicken, the real thing very much lives up to the name. Hottest food you can get in Korea.

E: Beaten, that's what I get for not clicking links.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 10, 2016

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

More so than the average packet or cup. Usually it's a pleasant heat. Go try Teumsae (or apparently Buldak) and report back. A half hour and a scoop of vanilla ice cream after finishing a bowl of Teumsae, my ears were still sweating.

Unless you're all super-familiar with Korean ramyun or something, then have fun I guess. Ordinary Nongshim bowls are tasty, this Teumsae stuff was pure agony.

e: the reason I like Nissin is probably the same reason that sometimes I'd rather have percolator coffee with powdered creamer in a styrofoam cup and fresh-ground coffee with real cream won't satisfy the same craving. Or corned beef from a can on white bread instead of a deli-fresh muffuletta or pastrami on rye. The ersatz versions of things can have their own unique appeal. We are after all reading a thread about appreciating food that is still notionally edible after sitting in a warehouse for a few years.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 10, 2016

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

hogmartin posted:

e: the reason I like Nissin is probably the same reason that sometimes I'd rather have percolator coffee with powdered creamer in a styrofoam cup and fresh-ground coffee with real cream won't satisfy the same craving. Or corned beef from a can on white bread instead of a deli-fresh muffuletta or pastrami on rye. The ersatz versions of things can have their own unique appeal. We are after all reading a thread about appreciating food that is still notionally edible after sitting in a warehouse for a few years.

True that. Occasionally we'll get extra field rations delivered to my DFAC, usually snack things like fruit cups and granola bars and the like. While I enjoy a freshly brewed pot of $50/lb Jamaican Blue Mountain as much as the next coffee snob, I'm also insanely fond of the instant cappuccino packets that come in those deliveries (I think chitoryu got one in one of the US MREs posted way back itt). If I see those horrible French toast-flavored cookies out on the line, it means we got another shipment of field rats in, and I go raid the pallet of boxes so I can stuff handfuls of those coffee packets in my apron.

Edit: similarly, I've developed a taste for DFAC yakisoba. It's Japanese food as interpreted by a midwestern housewife then copied by aliens who don't understand human cuisine, but I'm first in line to fill a to-go box at the end of shift with the pounds and pounds we throw out.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 14, 2016

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Edit: similarly, I've developed a taste for DFAC yakisoba. It's Japanese food as interpreted by a midwestern housewife then copied by aliens who don't understand human cuisine, but I'm first in line to fill a to-go box at the end of shift with the pounds and pounds we throw out.

If google is any judge, you aren't the only one. Check the comments on this first recipe (the second is of course the official):

http://mommysrecipes.blogspot.com/2011/01/dfac-yakisoba.html
http://www.quartermaster.army.mil/jccoe/publications/recipes/section_l/L06201.pdf

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I loved that stuff. There was one messhall on Bragg JFK (Special Warfare Center's) that made it taste sooo good.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

ulmont posted:

If google is any judge, you aren't the only one. Check the comments on this first recipe (the second is of course the official):

http://mommysrecipes.blogspot.com/2011/01/dfac-yakisoba.html
http://www.quartermaster.army.mil/jccoe/publications/recipes/section_l/L06201.pdf

Thanks for that top link! I have access to the recipe since my roomie's a cook there (in fact I probably have access to all the recipes, if anyone's looking for something in particular), but that saves me the effort of down-scaling it. Man, that really is Japanese-by-way-of-Minnesota yakisoba, ain't it?

No idea what we're serving tonight, as we're closing for the weekend (there's 2 DFACs on base, and we alternate which one gets to close and have the weekend off). This means we'll be purging the walk-ins and warmers and serving leftover surprise, or making stuff from scraps (like yakisoba!). Plus it's the 15th, so we'll be dead anyways; no reason to go all out. If you are eating at my DFAC tonight, I apologize in advance.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

It really isn't that far from zha jiang mian when you look at it.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
OP, would you like to sample a Canadian ration? I'll send you one for cost of shipping!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nofeed posted:

OP, would you like to sample a Canadian ration? I'll send you one for cost of shipping!

I'd gladly take one! It's surprisingly hard to find them in America, despite being a simple drive away. I'll PM you my shipping info.

Kazakhstan is crap. Thankfully, I got some faux-military South Korean dehydrated rations that I believe are based on older South Korean rations, since Korea has an obsession with military food to the point where there's a thriving MRE black market. They taste okay and definitely aren't real bibimbap despite what the packaging says, but I'd gladly take them if I was camping.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

I'd gladly take one! It's surprisingly hard to find them in America, despite being a simple drive away. I'll PM you my shipping info.

I don't have PM's, unfortunately. Do you have an email address I can contact you at?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nofeed posted:

I don't have PM's, unfortunately. Do you have an email address I can contact you at?

Sure. Send an email to chitoryu15@aim.com.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Last week I went camping and ate two more MREs similar to the kind I documented before. No pictures this time as I ate them when out hiking / driveabouting. Both were breakfast, one was a pork sausage patty and hashbrowns, the other oatmeal and assorted other crap. Taste on everything was poor and unappetizing, though nothing make me sick so I guess it did its job. The hot cocoa drink I did try this time, but poured it our for being too gross. Compared even to the Mountain House freeze dried stuff I ate at camp it was just bad. At least four days of eating like this made the Fish & Chips I had in Bodega Bay on the way home seem like the best ever.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Since I ran out of episodes of QI and Begin Japanology to lull me to sleep, I've been watching MRE reviews to lull me to sleep. I've also stumbled on some really, really old survival ration reviews. Like, the revolutionary war.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?jastownsendandson?videos Jas. Townsend And Son! A fantastic source for all your early America eating needs. Covering such topics as Salt Venison, Portable Soup, Portable Soup IMPROVEMENTS, Historic Egg Preservation, Ash Cake Methods, And DIY Hard Tack to name a few. He's a re-enactor, runs a re-enacting and craft catalog, so he's kinda always selling something, but a lot of his videos are really great stuff.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I was just going to post some stuff by them! They started getting famous about a month ago with their 18th century fried chicken dish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92xHoNQQ45s

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I just came across this article describing rations for British soldiers during WWI. They sound pretty gross.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world-war-1/502452/The-Battle-to-feed-Tommy-The-diet-of-a-WW1-soldier

They did have condensed milk, though! :v:

Verily I Shat
May 24, 2015

by Smythe
This is a few pages back now...

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm not 100% sure what this is, as the furthest I translated the label was "Mode of application". I think it's aspirin?

Water purification tabs? Most likely not, as Im not sure I have seen them appear but once in this thread so far, and I think that was the civilian rations?

Verily I Shat fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 25, 2016

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Verily I Shat posted:

Water purification tabs? Most likely not, as Im not sure I have seen them appear but once in this thread so far, and I think that was the civilian rations?
I just painstakingly punched all that Cyrillic into Google Translate, but the only text on there seems to be instructions and the like, nothing resembling a "Hey, this stuff is..." label.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Hirayuki posted:

I just painstakingly punched all that Cyrillic into Google Translate, but the only text on there seems to be instructions and the like, nothing resembling a "Hey, this stuff is..." label.

"TABLET FOR DISINFECTION WATER" according to the list of stuff that comes with the ration, run through Google Translate, corroborated by my Russian friend. It's the 7th item from the bottom of the big list.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Sorry for restarting ramen chat, but what are some good "just add hot water" ramens? (besides the Nongshim cups).
Just got a new kettle at the office.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Do you have a microwave too? I eat block-in-a-bag noodles all the time at work without a stove, just put it in a Rubbermaid food storage container, add enough hot water to cover it, put the lid on with a corner open, and microwave for 1-2 minutes. Swirl it, let it sit a minute, and it's pretty much the same as bowl or cup style, plus you can add vegetables or mushrooms before microwaving.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

AceRimmer posted:

Sorry for restarting ramen chat, but what are some good "just add hot water" ramens? (besides the Nongshim cups).
Just got a new kettle at the office.

Mama noodles, bright yellow bag. Owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Don't have much to add but these reviews are great! I really like the video reviews, they tend to be kind of calming - but the write-ups are fantastic too. Keep at it, everyone.

• Locked thread