Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
We obviously need a PC port of Tetris: The Grandmaster.

EDIT: The new Doom is the bee's knees. I'll probably give ultra-nightmare a try one of these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

RottenK posted:

It's brown Overwatch by Cliffy B.

Yup, my first hour impression is that I don't give a poo poo about the world, story, lore, any of the factions or characters. They all blend together in game where they have to literally put a red outline against the enemy team to tell them apart from friends and the environment.

The only interesting part is shooting your weapon in low grav to get speed boosts and the assassin class. But it feels really broken if you are playing with higher sensitivity than your enemies as you can just weave around faster than they can turn.

Also the enforcer class is like Soldier 76 but awful. Titan is a mix of Winston zap gun and leap (but bad) and pharas rocket launcher (somehow worse than UT04).

I'm really not impressed with it so far, but I'm also tired after staying up waiting for the alpha to start.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The original trailer for Lawbreakers came off like an Overwatch ripoff except super edgy because a character said "rear end in a top hat." :ohdear:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

exquisite tea posted:

The original trailer for Lawbreakers came off like an Overwatch ripoff except super edgy because a character said "rear end in a top hat." :ohdear:

Congratulations you've figured out CliffyB.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Why would anyone continue to develop any kind of multiplayer FPS when Overwatch is out?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Away all Goats posted:

Why would anyone continue to develop any kind of multiplayer FPS when Overwatch is out?

Sometimes you're so far along, the only thing you can do is keep moving forward.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

I really hope skills on cooldowns in multi-player fps games don't catch on

Same with burn cards.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Away all Goats posted:

because Nexon is paying you

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

Same with burn cards.
I'm glad Titanfall 2 is removing burn cards, they really are the worst.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I refunded Wolfenstein TNO a couple months ago. Goons lead me astray once in a while.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I feel like multiplayer shooters are kinda super saturated right now. Overwatch, Battleborn, Evolve coming back, Battlefield 1, CoD Infinite Warfare/CoD 4 Remaster, Lawbreakers, Titanfall 2, a couple indie Overwatch/Battleborn-like games and TF2 trying to come back and CS:GO never dying.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Tsyni posted:

I refunded Wolfenstein TNO a couple months ago. Goons lead me astray once in a while.
i'd be mad at you but i clicked on the ? button and you like sega genesis so we're square for now....

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ularg posted:

I feel like multiplayer shooters are kinda super saturated right now. Overwatch, Battleborn, Evolve coming back, Battlefield 1, CoD Infinite Warfare/CoD 4 Remaster, Lawbreakers, Titanfall 2, a couple indie Overwatch/Battleborn-like games and TF2 trying to come back and CS:GO never dying.
Quake and Unreal Tournament are coming back too.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Quake is "coming back" from the developers of God Mode so dont get too excited about that one

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is there an Inside thread anywhere? I just finished it in one sitting, and holy crap what a game. Expensive for what turned out to be a three hour game (with maybe some replay value), but just so well crafted.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ularg posted:

You probably shouldn't count Battleborn and Evolve since both are pretty much dead already.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Accordion Man posted:

Quake and Unreal Tournament are coming back too.

UT has been "coming back" for a really long time now. It has barely any players and it's anyone's guess when it'll be "complete" and if they'll put any money into advertising it once it is or if it'll just be stillborn.

Andrast posted:

You probably shouldn't count Battleborn and Evolve since both are pretty much dead already.

Battleborn certainly, but 40000 people are playing Evolve right now. I don't expect that to last but it's too early to put it back in the grave.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Blattdorf posted:

We obviously need a PC port of Tetris: The Grandmaster.

EDIT: The new Doom is the bee's knees. I'll probably give ultra-nightmare a try one of these days.

TGM3 can technically be played on your pc since it runs on windows arcade hardware but basically any way you could play tgm on pc would involve some input lag and the endgame would be impossible

plus i don't really wanna play ARIKA ROTATION SYSTEM 20G SHIRASE TETRIS though my current state of no tetris at all is very sad also

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

Bardeh posted:

Is there an Inside thread anywhere? I just finished it in one sitting, and holy crap what a game. Expensive for what turned out to be a three hour game (with maybe some replay value), but just so well crafted.

Just finished it myself today. The last part was both hilarious and awesome.

I would've liked at least some explanation about what's going on though.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

CJacobs posted:

I don't understand how you can gently caress up tetris but I guess everybody deserves to be disappointed by something at some point, no matter what that something is

TETRIS ULTIMATE is made in unity and runs at around 15fps for most people. also it crashes if you try to play while you're online, and also while you're offline

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

sarmhan posted:

I'm glad Titanfall 2 is removing burn cards, they really are the worst.

This is some good news.

My dark secret is that after ~100 hours of playing Titanfall, I've never used a single burn card.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is there a VR Tetrisphere yet?

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Lately I experience a 5 second delay for any action in the Steam client. Be it launching a game via desktop shortcut, or installing a game after purchase.

Does anybody else have this problem too?

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Morter posted:

It's the most innovative shooter I've played in years.

I'm pretty sure you meant puzzle game. :colbert:

-

Zombie Samurai posted:

Hi, it's me, the one person on Earth who scanned every single planet in the galaxy. Even after I maxed my resources.

exquisite tea posted:

I'd judge you but I just realized I'm about to collect every single blood shard in Dragon Age: Inquisition for the third time.

I remember playing Pokémon Red until the timer in the cartridge wouldn't go up anymore multiple times because I loved catching them.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I love Witcher 3 (and I still have to do the DLC) but I was in it for the story; I could never see myself going back through it because the actual gameplay was, at best, very competent

Added some mods, doing a few different decisions. It's fun. I'm extremely overleveled so I just slaughter everything. Haven't done the DLC yet, gonna tackle that after I finish the main game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1pzrME5kuE

:(

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Jamfrost posted:

I'm pretty sure you meant puzzle game. :colbert:

Hmmm... *checks script* Nope...Nope, that's not what the script says.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I love Witcher 3 (and I still have to do the DLC) but I was in it for the story; I could never see myself going back through it because the actual gameplay was, at best, very competent

I'm waiting a year before I tackle ng+ and I'm going to do a different build and romance Triss and break Yen's heart. :smith: I'll also make different choices in as many quests as possible. Should be interesting.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wolfenstein: TNO was noteworthy because it had a story that wasn't simply complete garbage, unlike most other FPS games. It was campy without being obnoxious about it, and I think DOOM might be the only other FPS game that manages to do that.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Tower Defense July

1. Defense Grid: The Awakening
2. Kingdom Rush
3. Orcs Must Die
4. Prime World: Defenders
5. Spacejacked
6. Sleep Attack
7. Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten
8. OTTTD

9. Poof VS the Cursed Kitty

This one is...really weird. I'm not entirely sure how much it actually counts as a Tower Defense, but I suppose the general concept is the same. It's certainly a unique game, too, if nothing else.

Poof's premise is a bit thin. You are a dog knight who has been tricked by an evil wizard (slash hardcore gamer, apparently) into accepting a cat that lays golden eggs. Just like the hen, though, this is an invitation for all kinds of intruders to come running in and attempt to steal it. You have to stop them. This is done in a multi-tiered arena similar to the levels from the very first Mario Brothers game, except here you can jump on enemies in addition to using various items to combat them.

This sounds fun, and it is for a little while, but the game's weird progression killed it for me. Instead of normal levels with a certain amount of waves, it uses a mission structure, where you're given three tasks, such as getting a certain amount of points or surviving for a certain length of time. Complete all of them and you get a token you can cash in for a single upgrade. This turns the game into completing the missions, and then inevitably dying since enemies grow strong pretty quickly. So far I've only unlocked one real tower, and since they spawn in like all the other items you might not be able to get them safely, since the platforming and jumping on enemies isn't the greatest, and enemies can come from a lot of positions, and so much as one touching the cat boots you back to the start.

There are locked doors around the first arena, so I assume there's more permanent progression later on, but while this is a personal thing, I dislike games where you need to fail a bunch to get better stuff. Poof feels less like a proper game to me and more something you'd use to kill a bit of time here and there. If you pick it up on a sale it might be some mindless fun for a bit, I suppose, but there's not very much to it.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I think I will hold off on DOOM until I get a Pascal card. I have a GTX 660 and the demo runs at a fairly constant 40 FPS on default settings (mainly medium except for a few items on high or ultra I believe), but I imagine things will get crazier in later levels with explosions from the environment and different types of weapons. I'd hate to pick it up to have the FPS drop in later levels unless I turn down settings even lower. Edmond Dantes just told me the GTX 660 is the little engine card that could, which is 100% true, but it's starting to show its age a little.

The GTX 660 was the best bang for the buck card 3 or 4 years ago. What card fills that role now?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Now is a bit of an awkward time for bang-for-buck cards. You could wait a few weeks for aftermarket RX 480s and the GTX 1060 to come out (both should be in the $250 range) and see if one of those hits a good price-performance spot for you. If you're willing to buy used, you could sniff around for a deal on a second hand 970, which would be in the same performance bracket for much cheaper. Any of those would be at least twice as powerful as your 660.

EDIT: Or you could just buy this $230-after-rebate 970.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 9, 2016

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Just get a cheap 970 now, I've seen some great deals on them since pascal came out.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ragequit posted:

I think I will hold off on DOOM until I get a Pascal card. I have a GTX 660 and the demo runs at a fairly constant 40 FPS on default settings (mainly medium except for a few items on high or ultra I believe), but I imagine things will get crazier in later levels with explosions from the environment and different types of weapons. I'd hate to pick it up to have the FPS drop in later levels unless I turn down settings even lower. Edmond Dantes just told me the GTX 660 is the little engine card that could, which is 100% true, but it's starting to show its age a little.

The GTX 660 was the best bang for the buck card 3 or 4 years ago. What card fills that role now?

The GTX 1060 is gonna be $249 and will give some great performance for the price range. Not out until later in the month tho.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
People on a budget can look at the RX480 and the GTX 1060 (July 19), $200 and $250 respectively. Supposedly the 1060 > the 980. With RX 480 launch problems, the 1060 is looking like it'll be worth the extra $50. It's still a bit wait and see like Boromir said.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Grapplejack posted:

Same with burn cards.

Word. Give me Quake Arena or give me death.

:rip:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Srice posted:

The GTX 1060 is gonna be $249 and will give some great performance for the price range. Not out until later in the month tho.

No poo poo? I mean I'll probably jump for the 1070 but still, that's some pretty good hardware they're promising for the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ragequit posted:

Hey there GTX 660 buddy

I'm waiting a bit, in the past I've always been happy with the $200-250 budget card range and it sounds like the 1060 is going to be a pretty slick buy. But we won't know for sure until after the card has actually come out, and even then it sounds like there might be supply shortages

• Locked thread