Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I mean to say, what would the effects be on the plot of the Harry Potter series? He might be friends with Ron but wouldn't be friends with Hermione for instance who probably would've died or been seriously injured by that troll. He probably would've lashed out at Snape eventually. Assuming he still somehow gets a hold of Dobby he would've had a personal slave. Without his friends he probably would've been uninvolved in the big mystery plots. Whatever, it was a stupid question without an answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

MrSlam posted:

I mean to say, what would the effects be on the plot of the Harry Potter series? He might be friends with Ron but wouldn't be friends with Hermione for instance who probably would've died or been seriously injured by that troll. He probably would've lashed out at Snape eventually. Assuming he still somehow gets a hold of Dobby he would've had a personal slave. Without his friends he probably would've been uninvolved in the big mystery plots. Whatever, it was a stupid question without an answer.

I guarantee you that somewhere out there on the internet, someone has not just thought about this, they've written (likely unfinished) fanfic about it. Possibly with a romantic subplot included to boot!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

it's Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

it's Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality

Is that the fanfic where Harry rapes Hermione because it's the 'logical' thing to do?

Antlerhill
Nov 6, 2012

Smellrose

StrixNebulosa posted:

I guarantee you that somewhere out there on the internet, someone has not just thought about this, they've written (likely unfinished) fanfic about it. Possibly with a romantic subplot included to boot!

I read the last part of your post as "including a boot" and it made me laugh.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
I can't believe that the original dutch ending to HEX isn't anywhere to be found on the internet. Like, not even a spoiler synopsis.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
At what point did writers move past epistolary novels? When was it enough to just be in the story, instead of giving it a framing device, like Don Quixote's translation, Tristam Shandy's journals, Frankenstein's letters, etc.?

Also, when did the concept of unreliable narrator emerge or become a standard concept/interpretation? Was it a conscious effort of an author, or a response by critics/academics?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
The loss of a framing device for the novel came primarily with the normalization of the novel as a genre. Once the novel as a narrative was established, there was less need to put it into a context the reader of the era understood.

As for unreliable narrators, pretty sure they predate the novel itself by a good bit.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Yeah, look at the Bible

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

blue squares posted:

Yeah, look at the Bible

Or "Homer".

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

blue squares posted:

Yeah, look at the Bible

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
You could actually make the argument of unreliable narrators for the Gospels though

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You could actually make the argument of unreliable narrators for the Gospels though

Especially the book(s) of "John"

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I was just being ~~~ edgy~~~

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

blue squares posted:

I was just being ~~~ edgy~~~

Yeah I know, we were no-selling it by engaging with it honestly

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
What was that book everyone was talking up as being Gaddisean? Modernish novel, blue squares broke my heart when he dropped Recognitions in favour of it, ringing any bells?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Squishy posted:

What was that book everyone was talking up as being Gaddisean? Modernish novel, blue squares broke my heart when he dropped Recognitions in favour of it, ringing any bells?

Naked Singularity by Sergio de la Pava

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
That's the chap, thanks.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i'm a book: the good book

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The Disaster Artist is one of the funniest books I've ever read. I was laughing so hard that my left eye starting hurting for some reason

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

blue squares posted:

The Disaster Artist is one of the funniest books I've ever read. I was laughing so hard that my left eye starting hurting for some reason

I'm about a third of the way through the audiobook version and it's hysterical. Does anyone have the link to the Disaster Artist thread? I can't find it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My local comic book/boardgame/Warhams/Blu-Ray/general nerd poo poo store is having a summer sale and I just bought The Axeman's Jazz by Ray Celestin, The Unquiet House by Alison Littlewood, Stray Bullets by David Lapham, Embassytown by China Mieville and the Gormenghast novels all at about 35 bucks. All mostly blind buys. I've heard about the true story behind the Axeman's Jazz and I've read other books by China but the rest I only bought cause they were cheap and sounded interesting.

Are any of them poo poo by any chance?

I'm considering starting with Stray Bullets because a a comic I should be able to read it very quickly and probably only reading the Gormenghast stuff one book at a time because that books is a motherfucking tome.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Embassytown is a dense read but really interesting, especially if you like exploring linguistics and meaning in language.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

FreudianSlippers posted:

probably only reading the Gormenghast stuff one book at a time because that books is a motherfucking tome.

As opposed to reading them simultaneously? :confused:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Embassytown is loving incredible, so are the first two Gormenghast books. Titus Alone was pieced together after Peake turned into niggerstomper58 and it uh shows

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hedrigall posted:

As opposed to reading them simultaneously? :confused:

As opposed to reading it all in one go like one after the other.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

I can't believe that the original dutch ending to HEX isn't anywhere to be found on the internet. Like, not even a spoiler synopsis.

this is an ongoing source of bafflement and irritation for me. I really enjoyed that book up until what's his face, the kid dies, at which point I thought the pacing and plotting went to hell. I'm really curious as to what point the books diverge and how the original ends, but I can't find anything

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I find Gormenghast to be unbearable. I like an occasional Gormenghastly turn of phrase, but an entire book of it is just too loving much for me.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

End Of Worlds posted:

this is an ongoing source of bafflement and irritation for me. I really enjoyed that book up until what's his face, the kid dies, at which point I thought the pacing and plotting went to hell. I'm really curious as to what point the books diverge and how the original ends, but I can't find anything

I'm starting to wonder whether there even was a Dutch version or even if Dutch people still exist. Can anyone confirm?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Any recommended software for putting in ISBN #s and then outputting to a spreadsheet? Friend sells books on Amazon for a charity and is streamlining their process.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Khizan posted:

I find Gormenghast to be unbearable. I like an occasional Gormenghastly turn of phrase, but an entire book of it is just too loving much for me.

Sounds like you need to step it up

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

I'm starting to wonder whether there even was a Dutch version or even if Dutch people still exist. Can anyone confirm?

The Netherlands have never actually existed. It's all just Germany and the alleged Dutch mere Swamp-Germans. The idea of there being such a thing as the Netherlands is just a publicity stunt for wooden shoes.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Netherlands have never actually existed. It's all just Germany and the alleged Dutch mere Swamp-Germans. The idea of there being such a thing as the Netherlands is just a publicity stunt for wooden shoes.

Wait til I tell my John Birch Society brothers about this.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've been thinking about doing a Let's Read of the Ring trilogy: Ring, Spiral and Loop, although, one thread at a time of course. How do you recommend choosing what to quote and discuss and what to trim? Also, how much of each chapter should I do at once, I'm thinking to try finding good stopping points for each chapter to keep each part within one post, and then having a constantly updated "contents" post linking to each part of each chapter. is that the accepted way of doing things? Just trying to get some advice before making a bad start and getting dogpiled :P

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

I've been thinking about doing a Let's Read of the Ring trilogy: Ring, Spiral and Loop, although, one thread at a time of course. How do you recommend choosing what to quote and discuss and what to trim? Also, how much of each chapter should I do at once, I'm thinking to try finding good stopping points for each chapter to keep each part within one post, and then having a constantly updated "contents" post linking to each part of each chapter. is that the accepted way of doing things? Just trying to get some advice before making a bad start and getting dogpiled :P

Let's reads are bad and the best way to do them is not to.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've looked around at other let's reads, and seen a very very large variance, so I figured I'd try my own thing and go paragraph by paragraph, analysing the story as it is revealed to the reader, picking out imagery and other such tools. I realise that will take some time. Here's a example of what I'm thinking, it would be nice to get feedback:
-----------------------------
Chapter 1:

quote:

September 5th, 1990, 10:49pm, Yokohama
A row of condominium buildings, each fourteen stories high, ran along the northern edge of the housing development next to the Sankeien garden. Although built only recently, nearly all the units were occupied. Nearly a hundred dwellings were crammed into each building, but most of the inhabitants had never even seen the faces of their neighbours. The only proof that people lived here came at night, when windows lit up.
Already there is interesting juxtaposition as we are introduced to the opening - there are hundreds of people living there but even though most of them probably work, they never see each other. The building is simultaneously crowded, yet lonely.

quote:

Off to the south the oily surface of the ocean reflected the glittering lights of a factory. A maze of pipes and conduits crawled along the factory walls like blood vessels on muscle tissue. Countless lights played over the front wall of the factory like insects that glow in the dark; even this grotesque scene had a certain type of beauty. The factory cast a wordless shadow on the black sea beyond.
Here we see a theme to the simile's used in this intro - the theme of sickness. The ocean is 'oily', the factory's pipes are like 'blood vessels' and the lights like 'insects', Koji is almost describing the building as if it were a corpse. This is why I enjoy Koji, his imagery is striking. Already the sense of dread is building and we haven't even arrived at the scene's central player yet.
-----------------------
Am I being too academic or could this work?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

I am not sure how long these books/chapters are or how much you are planning on cutting out/summarising, but I would consider including more than a sentence or two at a time, unless a particular sentence is really noteworthy and deserves in-depth explanation on its own. It's a bit hard to go from reading a sentence of the book to reading a sentence of analysis to reading a sentence of a book to reading analysis, etc. It's hard to get into a flow of either, though maybe that is an inherent feature of let's play type things.

I have never done any kind of let's read, so take this as random advice from someone who knows nothing about the subject. It sounds interesting though and not too academic. I might check it out whenever you do it as I'm generally too much of a baby to ever read horror.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

THanks for the advice. I'll make it a page per quote then, that should help the flow. The text just appears way shorter in the forum post than it does in the book, so I overestimated how much text was there.

Clarification: Those two quotes are half a page by themselves. Each quote therefore would be 4 times the length. That sound good?

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 9, 2016

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Yeah I was thinking that maybe if you had combined the two quotes you posted into one, it would be a good length to get a feel for the style and narrative flow, then to be followed by your analysis and comments. However, that's just my random internet opinion. Horror stories often try to evoke a certain kind of atmosphere/tension, which I think might be a bit lost if it's broken up too much. I haven't read the books though so don't know how true that would be here. You can experiment and do shorter quotes for bits that aren't very tense/atmospheric maybe and do longer passages where that is important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

THanks for the help. I'll continue writing up the draft, then post the thread at some point tomorrow.