Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Unreal Tournament was amazing in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Zzulu posted:

Unreal Tournament was amazing in general

Ut2k4 was amazing and the only UT I really liked because of onslaught and assault. Sniping aircraft with tanks was fun as hell and it had good vehicles. Assault maps were pretty cool too

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
A mixed bag this evening. I got in on a quick play six-man group to start with and we basically got stomped all evening after the matchmaker took five minutes before deciding we needed our poo poo pushed in. I know that level doesn't correspond to skill but I'm pretty sure that if I was level 200-something as virtually each of our opponents were that I'd be a bit better at the game myself.

This evening's theme was Bastion. Every single game there was a Bastion on the enemy team. Bastion on Lijang Tower, Bastion on final defense point of Hollywood where we'd done fine up to that point, Bastion on Volskaya, Bastion on Anubis, multiple Bastions on Hanamura. I actually won a fair few games in solo queue though, including a Gibraltar defense where our healer was slacking off (in his words "i ain't healing, i'm shooting") so I shrugged, said gently caress it, and went Zarya. They inexorably pushed forward bit by bit until we were, as usual, backed up to the final point whereupon everyone got their poo poo together and we held it. At one point I rushed back from spawn with the payload 0.35 meters away and used a Graviton Surge solely to yank the enemy team off the payload, close stuff. Then I went Soldier for the attack and we managed to crack their final defense, Bastion included, with a couple few minutes left on the clock.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I'm done with the game until they fix the quitting problem in comp mode.

3/4 of my winning matches I get hosed because half the other team quits when they know they are going to lose. It has gotten to the point that people taunt you before they quit just to make sure they know they are loving you over. Whoever thought penalizing the winning team for the losing team having a quitter should be flogged in public.

It's so rare to come across a friend in matchmaking that it's a joke to claim it will be abused.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I don't know which planets aligned but went on a 10 win streak with actually good pubbies and ranked up like 8 levels. Each game was giving a huge chunk of xp, almost a full level. Did blizzard change something because I never got that much xp in comp games before.

minema
May 31, 2011
I am bad at this game and tend to play supports and other boring characters so I very very rarely get POTG.

Today I got it as Mercy when I rezzed 3 teammates and then turned around and killed an ulting Genji with my pistol. Pretty proud of that. In the same game I also killed a Widowmaker as Mercy but I think that was more down to them being bad.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

keyframe posted:

I don't know which planets aligned but went on a 10 win streak with actually good pubbies and ranked up like 8 levels. Each game was giving a huge chunk of xp, almost a full level. Did blizzard change something because I never got that much xp in comp games before.

The only thing I've seen is they supposedly already released a patch that fixed the leaver problem by making exp gain based on the original starting team and not the recalculated one when someone left

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I won 4 straight matches today, got multiple medals for kills, objective time, etc. in each one, and still got little slivers of exp in two of the games :shrug:

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Pumpy Dumper posted:

The only thing I've seen is they supposedly already released a patch that fixed the leaver problem by making exp gain based on the original starting team and not the recalculated one when someone left

It didn't really do a difference, in my experience. We just won a game where two people left when we were up 2-0 and I got like 10% rank. Teams were equal ranked at start.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Star posted:

It didn't really do a difference, in my experience. We just won a game where two people left when we were up 2-0 and I got like 10% rank. Teams were equal ranked at start.

I'll try to find the post but basically kaplan said there's behind the scenes scruff that calculates who is more likely to win. And basically if you're favored to win and win: you only gain a small amount of rank. if you're favored to win and lose: you lose a lot of rank. If you're not favored to win and Win: you gain a ton of rank. And if you aren't favored to win and lose: you only lose a tiny bit of rank.

Lake Effect
May 8, 2008
I got a little hammered yesterday and woke up to my ranking going from 54 to 28 in one night. Yikes. I played a couple of games this morning and the players at that level are even worse than you think.

Looks like I'm done with ranked till next year. Or Should I try to completely bottom out and see what it's like at rank zero? You know for research purposes?

Lake Effect
May 8, 2008

Pumpy Dumper posted:

I'll try to find the post but basically kaplan said there's behind the scenes scruff that calculates who is more likely to win. And basically if you're favored to win and win: you only gain a small amount of rank. if you're favored to win and lose: you lose a lot of rank. If you're not favored to win and Win: you gain a ton of rank. And if you aren't favored to win and lose: you only lose a tiny bit of rank.

So basically they are using ELO which organized chess has been using to rank players for like 70 years?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Lake Effect posted:

So basically they are using ELO which organized chess has been using to rank players for like 70 years?

yeah, basically

blizz have been using some version of it for mm since wc3

Lake Effect
May 8, 2008

Prav posted:

blizz have been using some version of it for mm since wc3

So I guess Blizz's big issue is how to determine said odds of winning with such a complex decision tree.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Lake Effect posted:

So I guess Blizz's big issue is how to determine said odds of winning with such a complex decision tree.

team with the higher average elo will be more likely to win. 100 higher elo is like 65% winrate or something i think.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Xaris posted:

2fort engineer nest flashback feels. you and an uber medic try to actually assault while everyone sits back sniping or jacking off on their own turret pacing around doing nothing, you finally bust 2 nests in a row before failing to the 3rd loving nest and by the time you get back its all up, or maybe you do succeed and bring it out close to the bridge before dying, frantically telling the team to grab it, except they all sit staring off into space picking their nose wondering what that weird object is oh well got that booger out of their nose schaweet

I got kinda good at solo capping on a horrible 24/7 2fort server for an hour or so by running FaN/Bonk scout.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You know, I never get tired of making Pharahs splash themselves to death on Reinhardt's shield in close-quarters :allears:. You'd think they'd remember they can use melee hits, but they haven't yet.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Lake Effect posted:

I got a little hammered yesterday and woke up to my ranking going from 54 to 28 in one night. Yikes. I played a couple of games this morning and the players at that level are even worse than you think.

Looks like I'm done with ranked till next year. Or Should I try to completely bottom out and see what it's like at rank zero? You know for research purposes?

You should definitely play at those low levels, and you should also record or stream the games so we can see what that is like.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Lake Effect posted:

It's Elo after the guy who invented it , not ELO.

This has been your Pedantry Corner lesson of the day.

Lake Effect
May 8, 2008

Xand_Man posted:

It's Elo after the guy who invented it , not ELO.

This has been your Pedantry Corner lesson of the day.

Maybe I was talking about the Electric Light Orchestra matchmaking system. :c00lbert:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Lake Effect posted:

Sort of. Winning or losing isn't the only thing it takes into account re: how much your rank rises or falls, although it's the only thing that determines whether it rises or falls.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
CTF would be fine if there was an actual server browser

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I can play almost every character except Winston. What the hell do I do with Winston?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
2fort was fun.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

piratepilates posted:

You should definitely play at those low levels, and you should also record or stream the games so we can see what that is like.

it'd be a constant stream of offensive symmetras who build a turret and then proceed to suicide on the point until it's time to build another turret

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CaptainScraps posted:

I can play almost every character except Winston. What the hell do I do with Winston?

Winston is absolutely amazing. Your job as Winston is to harass their back line with your high HP, bubble shield, high mobility, and ult that causes a huge amount of chaos and acts as a full heal.

Just practice jumping towards the back line, dropping your bubble, shooting people with your lightning gun, then when you get low on health either jump out or ult if you have it, bringing you to full and letting you stick around for much longer.

Once you get used to him and know the little tricks to fighting each hero he can be unstoppable. I'm not that great at this game and I routinely get 3-4 golds with him per game.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

CaptainScraps posted:

Jump in, drop shield, annoy the hell out of people, maybe chase down people you can pick off, jump out. Done.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Verranicus posted:

2fort was fun.

Yeah, it was. In 1998.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

PerrineClostermann posted:

Tribes says hello

Tribes was a product of its time though. It makes sense back in 1998 when some people are on cable and others are dialing up with 700 ping to make a big open game where individual hotshots can carry and not worry about the fact that teamwork will basically never happen without Herculean effort. I don't think a modern studio ever would or should make Tribes again.

And Tribes really exemplified the problem with CTF in that it splits teams into several smaller groups with engagements going in several places at once. It's not a mode you want when you've built characters to cooperate with each other and built maps to funnel them to a main conflict. TF2 5CP only ever had two points of contention at any given moment and you couldn't trust randos to have any idea of how the game flow worked. It was glorious for coordinated high-skill teams but a clusterfuck for ordinary play. If 5CP is too complex to throw out into the wild, CTF definitely is.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 10, 2016

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Pumpy Dumper posted:

Yea I am not sure what the deal was. I ranked up like 7 levels yesterday from those games. The teams were always evenly matched so we were not the underdogs or anything. I have never seen the game give that much xp in a win before.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Internet Explorer posted:

Winston is absolutely amazing. Your job as Winston is to harass their back line with your high HP, bubble shield, high mobility, and ult that causes a huge amount of chaos and acts as a full heal.

Just practice jumping towards the back line, dropping your bubble, shooting people with your lightning gun, then when you get low on health either jump out or ult if you have it, bringing you to full and letting you stick around for much longer.

Once you get used to him and know the little tricks to fighting each hero he can be unstoppable. I'm not that great at this game and I routinely get 3-4 golds with him per game.

Ok. I was using him like a straightforward tank and people were just eating me. That makes a lot of sense.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

CaptainScraps posted:

Ok. I was using him like a straightforward tank and people were just eating me. That makes a lot of sense.

Just remember to keep an eye on your shield cooldown when deciding where to jump. If you spot an isolated healer or flanker you can go for it, but if you're jumping into the backline you'll want it up or they'll murder you.

Also don't try to outdamage lvl.2 Torb turrets, you won't.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Raged posted:

I'm done with the game until they fix the quitting problem in comp mode.

3/4 of my winning matches I get hosed because half the other team quits when they know they are going to lose. It has gotten to the point that people taunt you before they quit just to make sure they know they are loving you over. Whoever thought penalizing the winning team for the losing team having a quitter should be flogged in public.

It's so rare to come across a friend in matchmaking that it's a joke to claim it will be abused.

Why not play Quick Play instead of being done with the game?

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Maybe don't clump your whole team in a little bunker folks: https://gfycat.com/RedGrippingAlaskanhusky

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
i'm having issues with in-game voice. i can use it just fine, but when a teammates speaks, my game lags/freezes for as long as they're holding the transmit button, but i can hear everything they're saying with no lag or other issues. it makes joining public voice basically a nonstarter, as playing with a vocal group makes the game basically unplayable.

i've done a little bit of searching and haven't been able to find anyone describing a similar issue

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

The premiere goon team Knights of Goku is being streamed right now! Come watch us get annihilated! https://www.twitch.tv/gosugamers

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Tribes was a product of its time though. It makes sense back in 1998 when some people are on cable and others are dialing up with 700 ping to make a big open game where individual hotshots can carry and not worry about the fact that teamwork will basically never happen without Herculean effort. I don't think a modern studio ever would or should make Tribes again.

And Tribes really exemplified the problem with CTF in that it splits teams into several smaller groups with engagements going in several places at once. It's not a mode you want when you've built characters to cooperate with each other and built maps to funnel them to a main conflict. TF2 5CP only ever had two points of contention at any given moment and you couldn't trust randos to have any idea of how the game flow worked. It was glorious for coordinated high-skill teams but a clusterfuck for ordinary play. If 5CP is too complex to throw out into the wild, CTF definitely is.

The symmetrical, linear 5CP maps are the best TF2 maps and pubbies absolutely understand the objective. Overwatch should add them, especially since they have clear winners just like koth.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Internet Explorer posted:

i'm a chaos gorilla

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Edmond Dantes posted:

Also don't try to outdamage lvl.2 Torb turrets, you won't.

If you put your shield so it is between you and the turret but you can still lightning gun it, you absolutely can kill a level 2 Torb turret. Your shield will break and you'll get low on health, but it can be done. Just don't try it when Torb is standing right next to you shooting you in the back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ahhpple posted:

The premiere goon team Knights of Goku is being streamed right now! Come watch us get annihilated! https://www.twitch.tv/gosugamers

We won!