Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

divabot posted:

lawful emo
They're playing a three-hour concert in my city in October.

VNV nation is fun live but man, three hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

I've been on my huge periodical Diorama kick again and would like to once more remind you to listen to Diorama, because it is a good god drat band and I know none of you still haven't listened to them yet because otherwise you'd be raving about the band here. Maybe start with Cubed, that album is very nearly perfect.

I do, a lot of the stuff is in my regular rotation, especially from the first albums! Don't think I've even checked out Cubed yet, thanks for the idea.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Wikkheiser posted:

There are bands I would happily watch for three hours or more, VNV not so much.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The Ronan Harris weight loss regime

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Entropist posted:

I do, a lot of the stuff is in my regular rotation, especially from the first albums! Don't think I've even checked out Cubed yet, thanks for the idea.

You should, it's an incredible album, probably one of my all-time favorites! Just note that if you're using Spotify, the album is not actually 18 songs long. The last five tracks starting with Stuckato are actually a separate bonus EP called Shadow Play that came with the special edition of Cubed. It's a fantastic EP but just a heads-up so you don't think Cubed is massively overlong.

Even the Devil Doesn't Care is also a really good album, if not quite as solid as a whole - the middle of it is just ok, I think. Incredible beginning and personally I've been obsessed with Hellogoodbye and Justice for All lately.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Wikkheiser posted:

Speaking of three hours plus of electro-industrial music, Electronic Saviors: Industrial Music To Cure Cancer: Vol IV: Retaliation is now out, on bandcamp, their website, and also on Spotify. It's like 6 or 8 or whatever discs of music from some really varied artists. There's some real gems on there, but I'm going to hold off on the PYF until I actually get through the whole thing.

edit: oh and so I'm not doubleposting, is anyone going to Amphi Festival in Koln? The lineup looks pretty awesome and I'm leaning towards buying tickets

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 13, 2016

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Holy gently caress my new track was mentioned on I Die: You Die :stare:

Does someone ITT have something to do with this?

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 13, 2016

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Prop Wash posted:

edit: oh and so I'm not doubleposting, is anyone going to Amphi Festival in Koln? The lineup looks pretty awesome and I'm leaning towards buying tickets

Yes! I think I already bought my ticket in like September or October or so. I can definitely recommend it, the lineup is fantastic and it's an exceptionally well-organized festival.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I missed the hilariously named Apop cruise tickets by a week, unfortunately :( but I got weekend tickets! Would you recommend camping or just finding a hotel? I am an old man who probably will want to actually get some sleep at some point. Also congratulations on the shoutout by ID:YD!

Current Electronic Saviors thoughts: I can't decide whether the Ashbury Heights track is one of their best or one of their worst, the Ghost & Writer track absolutely should be listened to with headphones, and it's nice that Iris is back to doing exactly what Iris does

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Prop Wash posted:

I missed the hilariously named Apop cruise tickets by a week, unfortunately :( but I got weekend tickets! Would you recommend camping or just finding a hotel? I am an old man who probably will want to actually get some sleep at some point. Also congratulations on the shoutout by ID:YD!

Fantastic! Let's grab a Kölsch and a Bratwurst at some point, yeah :cheers: I've never camped at Amphi so I can't really say what it's like there, unfortunately. But I also appreciate a proper shower and a real bed after a day of festival craziness, too, and since Amphi takes place smack dab in the middle of a city with great public transport that operates at night, I'd say go for a hotel. I'll probably be staying at the same hostel I've used two out of the three times I've gone to Amphi (Black Sheep Hostel).

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Twiin might have something to do with it (maybe!)

Cliche Guevara
Dec 12, 2005
whistlebritches

Speaking as someone who is an acquaintance with one of the guys (Bruce), coupled with the fact that it's a podcast dedicated to a nearly-weekly centering on a very small genre of music - and I say that in no disrespectful tones - I think it's very feasible they somehow stumbled across it or, just maybe, you have fans already outside this forum that tipped them off!

They're ravenous, those boys, chances are they stumbled on to it :)

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
I have a vague feeling they mentioned SA/this thread once in a podcast ages ago, either way it's pretty cool, I was gonna share it when I saw but promptly forgot because my memory and attention span are atrocious.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/raymondwatts/status/743115631592103936

:worship:

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.

Just came here to post this.

:3:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

...that Ashbury Heights track has really grown on me.

I think it would make for an awesome track at the few remaining club nights where I live anyway.

Not that I almost ever attend them. I'm a fat nerd that just goes to the live shows (and gets mocked by Ronin).

edit: so uh, The Cure was loving amazing.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

...that Ashbury Heights track has really grown on me.

I think it would make for an awesome track at the few remaining club nights where I live anyway.

Not that I almost ever attend them. I'm a fat nerd that just goes to the live shows (and gets mocked by Ronin).

edit: so uh, The Cure was loving amazing.

Saw The Cure in Montreal last night, completely blew my mind. It was a dream come true

PinkoBastard fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 16, 2016

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
So where should I start on Anhalt EBM? The description that came to mind was "Oi! with synths and drum machines" and I see at least one other poster hit this too.

I'm currently finding the stuff much of a muchness. Playing Oldschool Union and finding it a style I quite like actually, but frankly indistinguishable from everything else on Bandcamp with the "anhalt" tag.

(The criteria for "oldschool" amuse too. They'll go back as far as DAF's first wave of slavish imitators but somehow DAF's actual name is never mentioned. Makes me wish for EBM bands with actual drummers and no drum machine.)

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Death to false EBM!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

divabot posted:

So where should I start on Anhalt EBM? The description that came to mind was "Oi! with synths and drum machines" and I see at least one other poster hit this too.

I'm currently finding the stuff much of a muchness. Playing Oldschool Union and finding it a style I quite like actually, but frankly indistinguishable from everything else on Bandcamp with the "anhalt" tag.

(The criteria for "oldschool" amuse too. They'll go back as far as DAF's first wave of slavish imitators but somehow DAF's actual name is never mentioned. Makes me wish for EBM bands with actual drummers and no drum machine.)

Spark!, Spetznaz and Sturm Café are where you want to be.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Also goons mentioning Diary of Dreams earlier: Oh I love them. They're sooooo teenage goth but my philosophy is to take it over the top. You've got to move that aesthetic as deep into the spooky bat cave as you can. I want to feel like daemonic familiars are popping out.

They're a great mood band. And way better live than the more restrained studio stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soHnRFAGGAA

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Wikkheiser posted:

Also goons mentioning Diary of Dreams earlier: Oh I love them. They're sooooo teenage goth but my philosophy is to take it over the top. You've got to move that aesthetic as deep into the spooky bat cave as you can. I want to feel like daemonic familiars are popping out.

They're a great mood band. And way better live than the more restrained studio stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soHnRFAGGAA

This rules, thanks..I've always liked DoD but now I really, really want to see them live.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Sloppy posted:

This rules, thanks..I've always liked DoD but now I really, really want to see them live.

Diary of Dreams is an incredible live band and I might have to add it to the list of bands whose tours I'll travel to Germany for.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

I don't give a poo poo about seeing kmfdm anymore, but I will go see a pig show.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Phil Western has the bulk of his discography for sale on bandcamp for $50.

While he's done work on later Puppy records a lot of his output falls more into the Download/PlatEAU of druggy electronic music. I really liked his Frozen Rabbit LP, which was on the ambient/droney side of things. Not for everyone maybe, but still that's 39 albums for $50. Shame the two albums he did with Spybey as Beehatch aren't included.

As an aside, based on a social media post it looks like he's doing this to deal with some real life issues so maybe this helps out a decent artist.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 22, 2016

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'd definitely go see Pig with that lineup.

elektroboot
Nov 7, 2004

forgive me if this has been discussed already or if we're over All The Way Down by now, but there's a lyric that bugs me in my favorite track (Downpour)

"desperate to win" - win what? are we talking specifically a battle with cancer? I feel like he's a better lyricist than to just throw any old one-syllable word in there, but I can't figure out what he means

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Does anybody know if the Threshold House online store is completely defunct? The website isn't resolving. I was hoping to snag some sweet Brexit discounts on Coil stuff.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Ashbury Heights are starting a VLOG where they're going to start releasing demos and taking suggestions on different types of music to make, and also to do whatever else you would want from an Ashbury Heights VLOG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1YxtrDxz3M

Sounds like the next album is mostly done too.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Fuuuuuck. The Youth Code european tour that got cancelled earlier in the year because they'd somehow managed to book tours on two continents at the same time (or alternatively, the promoters somehow hosed it or tickets didn't sell so they pulled it) has been rescheduled but their UK dates are all while I'm on holiday abroad :bang:

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Fuuuuuck. The Youth Code european tour that got cancelled earlier in the year because they'd somehow managed to book tours on two continents at the same time (or alternatively, the promoters somehow hosed it or tickets didn't sell so they pulled it) has been rescheduled but their UK dates are all while I'm on holiday abroad :bang:

Thanks for the heads up on this one! I had managed to miss the info being realised.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
From the Difficult Listening for the Hard of Hearing Department: industrial music for old people like me. I blogged last week about (with videos and Bandcamps linked for your listening delight):

* Early '80s Australian noisemakers Scattered Order, founders of the M Squared label (that nurtured a lot of the early '80s Sydney electronic noise scene), whose music is delectably unlistenable and who are still going;

* The 1991 Volition Records package tour, with some "where are they now?" Featuring Severed Heads, Boxcar and Single Gun Theory in reverse order of prestige; SGT were the ones whose album actually charted.

* and last month, Once We Were Scum, Now We Are God by No from 1989.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Armor-Piercing posted:

Ashbury Heights are starting a VLOG where they're going to start releasing demos and taking suggestions on different types of music to make, and also to do whatever else you would want from an Ashbury Heights VLOG.

Sounds like the next album is mostly done too.

Legit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQvanuf0yv4

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

So these new Crystal Castles shows should be avoided, right?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Oh noooooooo FLA and Blutengel are playing at the same time at Amphi and I'll have to choose one or the other :saddowns:

edit: I guess I'll have to go with FLA since I last saw them in 2010. Still, I'm torn

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 7, 2016

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Oh noooooooo FLA and Blutengel are playing at the same time at Amphi and I'll have to choose one or the other :saddowns:

edit: I guess I'll have to go with FLA since I last saw them in 2010. Still, I'm torn

I think you made the right choice overall. I'm curious as to what their set list would look like these days. They probably still play Mindphaser and Overkill, but FLA has a really large catalogue to draw from. I know it's not one of their classics, but I always liked that "Epitaph" record that came out in the early 2000s.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

PinkoBastard posted:

I think you made the right choice overall. I'm curious as to what their set list would look like these days. They probably still play Mindphaser and Overkill, but FLA has a really large catalogue to draw from. I know it's not one of their classics, but I always liked that "Epitaph" record that came out in the early 2000s.

Well, here's a recent one that's pretty much what they've been playing this year

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/front-line-assembly/2016/the-garage-london-england-bf03d0e.html

Five tracks from the latest (excellent) album and then a what I think is a really nice selection of old classics including some surprising ones. That's how they seem to roll nowadays. Looks like they haven't played anything from Epitaph/Civilization/Artificial Soldier since IED came out, which is kind of a bummer because I'd kill to see them play just about anything from Civilization. Still my favorite FLA album.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 10, 2016

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Well, here's a recent one that's pretty much what they've been playing this year

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/front-line-assembly/2016/the-garage-london-england-bf03d0e.html

Five tracks from the latest (excellent) album and then a what I think is a really nice selection of old classics including some surprising ones. That's how they seem to roll nowadays. Looks like they haven't played anything from Epitaph/Civilization/Artificial Soldier since IED came out, which is kind of a bummer because I'd kill to see them play just about anything from Civilization. Still my favorite FLA album.

Civilization is great. Really to me, I'd say my least favourite albums by FLA are Millennium and FLAvour of the Weak. I'd really like to see them some time, looks like they put on a pretty energetic show. I really liked Ethnogenetic, as well.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

PinkoBastard posted:

Civilization is great. Really to me, I'd say my least favourite albums by FLA are Millennium and FLAvour of the Weak. I'd really like to see them some time, looks like they put on a pretty energetic show. I really liked Ethnogenetic, as well.

Millennium is Leeb's greatest creation. How can anyone dislike Victim of a Criminal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

mennoknight posted:

Millennium is Leeb's greatest creation. How can anyone dislike Victim of a Criminal?

Been a long time since I heard it, but I remember not being into it at the time. As for Flavour of the Weak I seem to remember the drums turning me off. Maybe I'll give Millennium another listen and see how it goes!