Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Vudu not doing HDR on my x930D is really stupid. They're just losing money. I have hundreds of movies on Vudu and instead of considering buying 4k movies from them I'm now just waiting for an Xbox One S to play the blurays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Isn't that a Sony thing to direct you to their store?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

BottleKnight posted:

Vudu not doing HDR on my x930D is really stupid. They're just losing money. I have hundreds of movies on Vudu and instead of considering buying 4k movies from them I'm now just waiting for an Xbox One S to play the blurays.

You could just pick up a Nvidia Shield.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

sellouts posted:

Isn't that a Sony thing to direct you to their store?

The Vudu app is on Android, so I don't see why they couldnt just turn HDR on.

From what I see they've just made some stupid comarketing deal with Vizio.

bull3964 posted:

You could just pick up a Nvidia Shield.

Can I get HDR that way?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

BottleKnight posted:

Can I get HDR that way?

The 3.2 update for the Shield that was just released last week added HDR support for both Netflix and Vudu.

Edit: Now I'm actually not clear, some of the articles talking about it refer to HDR with Netflix but it's vague as to whether or not it extends to Vudu (which IS 4k).

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 4, 2016

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

sellouts posted:

A lot of the smart apps are cool and good and will get you 4K and other features not possible with many of the other boxes including Apple TV.

If you want thin, get the 1080p oled. It is 55".

If you want to stick to 48" or so to try to get close to your 48", just get a Vizio. Has lots of smart stuff but you can ignore it because there's no such thing as a non smart tv anymore.

I'm working with a small space, where 48" (and certainly 55") would be too much screen for the distance. 43" seems like a common footprint these days (anything under 40" wide by 25" tall is good). Point taken on non-smart not being a thing anymore, I just want to make sure any TV I get will still function if I don't connect it to the Internet.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What's the distance by chance? Just curious as most people seem to be unable to afford a screen that is truly the right size for the distance?

Not trying to sway you, just curious. Get a Vizio.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
60-70", depending. It's a small apartment. I'm also trying to balance the proportions against other elements in the room, such as a book shelves. And again, actual A/V is lower on the list of priorities than aesthetics. I only use my TV once a week or so.

Does Vizio make good equipment?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You need such a small size that "good equipment" is all relative.

Vizio will make the best equipment in that size IMO.

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

Love Crime posted:

Thoughts on a Samsung UN70KU6300 (70" 4k) for $1,999 from Amazon (no tax)?

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN70...1%7C10650190011

Live in a small town so online only, I'm going to wait until Prime Day deals before pulling the trigger but really want a 70-75" 4k.
Costco has their version of this TV for 1650 through the end of the month via their online store, and getting them to honor it locally is pretty easy.

http://www.costco.com/.product.100294918.html?&EMID=B2C_2016_0707_JulyMVM_electronics&wc_mid=2:101677&wc_rid=2:71400027

Really tempted to pull the trigger on this one. Any compelling reasons not to? The reviews that I've found online seem mostly positive.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016

Thanks, says it's members only now though. I decided I'm going to go with a 75" and looks like an LG 75UH6550 for $2999 (it was $2799 yesterday for some reason) or Sony XBR75X850D for $3,300 are my best options so far.

I'm still waiting for Prime Day because I got a 65" Vizio last year during it and hopefully they have something this year.

Hit a new problem I could use advice on

https://www.amazon.com/Altra-Furnit...0+inch+tv+stand

This is the stand I was going to get until I saw it only goes up to 70". The weight of the 75" ones seems fine (only 60-70lbs and stand holds 105lbs) so I'm thinking of buying it and hoping it somehow works but also trying to find stands that are similar to this one since it perfectly fits what I need it for (HTPC if it matters).

To be more specific it's that exact design or close to it I'm wanting, I'm currently using the more traditional long rectangle stand but I hate it, I'd like going vertical instead.

Any suggestions?

Love Crime fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 8, 2016

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Assuming you've made sure the TV will fit on it, it's probably fine, since it looks like it just holds it rigidly in place.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Is this a good tv for the price?

https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electroni...in%3A3578042011

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Don't see how it's better than a Vizio

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

BonoMan posted:

Serious question... what does the onboard smart app get you that a latest generation Fire or Roku doesn't? I was of the impression that smart apps, while serviceable, are secondary to the latest Fire and Roku.

The Plex and Youtube apps on my Vizio M are completely unusable dogshit.

VVV - it's a 2015 model.

forbidden dialectics fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 9, 2016

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

what year vizio m

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

How are the Vizios when it comes to the soap opera effect aka the way everyone everywhere should watch everything?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You should be able to turn off that stuff.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
this lemon of a tv my friend gave me has overscan on by default. and because it's vizio i have to get a universal remote so i can access the service menu, provided that option's even in there if i can find the model number on the tv to check the manual (which i also don't have of course why ever keep any part of a tv beside the tv itself hurr). also i will mention that in 1080i it has green colors mixed in, most noticeable in blacks (doesn't do 1080p). gently caress!!

Relin fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jul 11, 2016

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast
Does anyone know if Amazon is going to stock either the 2016 M (just came out so I'm guessing that'll take time) or the 2016 P Series?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Anyone know if the TVs on sale for prime day are any good? My sister wants a 32-40"

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

KingKapalone posted:

Anyone know if the TVs on sale for prime day are any good? My sister wants a 32-40"

Was just coming in with the same question. I'm looking specifically at:

https://www.amazon.com/Hisense-43H7...#R1NT3LYVE495JN

I don't have a 4K or a Smart TV at the house right now and the reviews seem pretty good but I've never heard of Hisense before. Seems like they've gotten rather good reviews but I'm always wary.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

They're cheap rear end tvs.

No idea what you expect at that price. They will turn on. They have a warranty. They will be bested by brand names that cost more. Their smart features will suck.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Everything in the sub 40" range is a tossup honestly. No one is putting their top tech or QC in TVs that size because they are viewed as disposable.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
What's good to look out for then? What are you missing out on that is actually important?

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
I'm looking to buy a new TV for a 13'Lx10'W living room in an apartment. I don't want it to completely dominate the room, so I'm thinking I'll wall mount it and probably stick with 55" . . . is it worth getting a 4k TV for that size and like a 9ish foot viewing distance? Is the Vizio D series the best bet in that range? I'm also hearing good things about the Samsungs.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

OSheaman posted:

I'm looking to buy a new TV for a 13'Lx10'W living room in an apartment. I don't want it to completely dominate the room, so I'm thinking I'll wall mount it and probably stick with 55" . . . is it worth getting a 4k TV for that size and like a 9ish foot viewing distance? Is the Vizio D series the best bet in that range? I'm also hearing good things about the Samsungs.

Don't know what your budget is, but Vizio D is bottom of their line. You'll probably want M or E at minimum. As for 4K - I think any new tv at that size is going to be 4K anyway so just go for it.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
I've been hearing that the E series in 2016 has been getting some bad reviews. Is that true? Yeah ideally I'd go M series but I'm not sure if it's worth the price increase for a small apartment.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Whatever you do, don't buy a D-series.

E-series should be fine, though yeah if you have the opportunity to go M I'd do it.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
It looks like the M55-D0 is $100 less at Best Buy ($799.99) than the M55-C2 is at Amazon. Is there any reason I should be getting the 2015 model vs the 2016 model?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

OSheaman posted:

It looks like the M55-D0 is $100 less at Best Buy ($799.99) than the M55-C2 is at Amazon. Is there any reason I should be getting the 2015 model vs the 2016 model?

No, get the 2016 model. HDR, SmartCast, etc.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Well, the Samsung UN55KU6300 went on sale in a lightning deal and I got it, so I guess that answers that. Thanks for the help though!

OSheaman fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 13, 2016

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

KingKapalone posted:

What's good to look out for then? What are you missing out on that is actually important?

A picture that you like and a brand that you pray makes a product that lasts as long as you want

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast

BottleKnight posted:

Whatever you do, don't buy a D-series.

E-series should be fine, though yeah if you have the opportunity to go M I'd do it.

It seems like the 2016 D-Series may actually be better than the 2016 E-Series, at least based on the RTings reviews. The 2016 E-Series reviews I've seen so far have been pretty bad.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The bittersweet moment when you realise you can't move into a condo because your TV is too big. Not 'it'll look too big in this room', but physically too big for the lounge. Bad design work on their behalf, but still.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

EL BROMANCE posted:

The bittersweet moment when you realise you can't move into a condo because your TV is too big. Not 'it'll look too big in this room', but physically too big for the lounge. Bad design work on their behalf, but still.

How big is your tv?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

mediaphage posted:

How big is your tv?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeywxkBpMB0

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005
I can't afford this year's OLEDs, so I'm thinking of purchasing last year's 65EF9500 for $2,700. My only concern is its support of HDR 10 but not Dolby Vision. Since that format war is only just beginning, I'd like to have all my bases covered. Is it possible for a streaming box such as a Roku or Shield convert Dolby Vision streams to HDR 10, to then pass onto the television?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

DEO3 posted:

Is it possible for a streaming box such as a Roku or Shield convert Dolby Vision streams to HDR 10, to then pass onto the television?

Dont count on it.

Oled is only getting cheaper and better every year. If you can wait another year or so i would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

mediaphage posted:

How big is your tv?

65, so not ridiculous. There just wasn't two flat walls unbroken by a door large enough to put a sofa and a TV of that size on. It's only for a year, so if we went for it it would just have to make for a pretty sweet bedroom set.