Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Are the Star Force games worth playing?

I'm asking this as someone who hasn't played the Battle Network games.

Just Star Force 3, the other two are mediocre and awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
I hate that they removed a whole f'ing dimension from combat :mad:

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Zero 3 is the best mega man game ever made.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Star Force is basically a straight downgrade from Battle Network. I don't know why they limited movement to only left and right (well, probably DS hardware limitation nonsense) but it makes the combat so much less fun.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Caphi posted:

You mean Star Force?

I mean actual battle network games with megaman X designs tackling some of the themes of X in the batshit insane way that battle network did with megaman. Plus i need another game with Bamboo Pandamonium in it

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Star Force had Goat Kung-Fu.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

I hate that they removed a whole f'ing dimension from combat :mad:

Augus posted:

Star Force is basically a straight downgrade from Battle Network. I don't know why they limited movement to only left and right (well, probably DS hardware limitation nonsense) but it makes the combat so much less fun.

I used to think this and then I realized Punch-Out: The RPG was actually a pretty neat idea

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's an okay idea but still straight-up worse than Battle Network.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

TheKingofSprings posted:

I used to think this and then I realized Punch-Out: The RPG was actually a pretty neat idea

...huh, I never realized that it is kind of like Punch Out. That's pretty cool, actually.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Most Megaman games are worse than Battle Network though

E:

ChaosArgate posted:

...huh, I never realized that it is kind of like Punch Out. That's pretty cool, actually.

Doing a 100HP run with the starting folder will really hammer it home, it's all about getting counter-hits at the right time, even moreso than BN was.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 11, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Most Megaman games are worse than Battle Network though

I... can't actually argue with this statement.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

ImpAtom posted:

I'd argue Star Force 3 was better than any Exe game. They really went out with a bang on that one.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Chickenfrogman posted:

Rockman minus infinity. :colbert:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

If anybody's interested in them, Ariga's Mega Man comics are in the $9-10 range on rightstuff at the moment.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Are they good? Never been much of a consumer of non-game game media, but those Archie ones look pretty tempting.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Without the Mega Man IP they'd be fun if unremarkable kid's action comics, but it's neat seeing the author play with the characters and storylines.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I don't know if I ever want context for that image.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

What's with the shoes though

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Takoluka posted:

Blackheart posted:

What's with the shoes though

Must've stolen them off of Flame Man after beating him up.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'm guessing that's Dark Man trying way too hard to convince people.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

That's pretty hilarious actually. And yet another example of how MM5 has the best storyline.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Caphi posted:

One of the weirdest things I remember about farming chips in Battle Network was when you wanted the ones that specifically dropped for like a 5-6 or 7-9 rank.

Never really got why they didn't just let you choose what you wanted when you win based off your rank, especially since once you know how the scoring system works (never getting hit or using the buster gets you a 6 no questions asked) you'll never get zenni from a fight unless you run around farming with the Collector program glitched.

Takoluka posted:

Part of the story to 4 is that Proto Man helped Wily to kidnap Kalinka because he needs periodic repairs or he'll explode, being, you know, a prototype robot and all.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Chickenfrogman posted:

Mega Man X1 is the best mega man game ever made.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Fargin Icehole posted:

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

Fargin Icehole posted:

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

same but unironically

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Mega Man X1 is a pretty good video game

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Last Celebration posted:

Never really got why they didn't just let you choose what you wanted when you win based off your rank, especially since once you know how the scoring system works (never getting hit or using the buster gets you a 6 no questions asked) you'll never get zenni from a fight unless you run around farming with the Collector program glitched.

Part of the story to 4 is that Proto Man helped Wily to kidnap Kalinka because he needs periodic repairs or he'll explode, being, you know, a prototype robot and all.

I inferred that was Break Man, but I didn't want to have that confirmed. :(

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Fargin Icehole posted:

Yup. I wish I could enjoy any of the other X games. Even 2 and 3 feel a tiny bit poo poo to me.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
x: pretty much no major issues, extremely well-designed game with very few rough edges
x2: mostly ok but a couple of the stages are really awful
x3: boss design and stage design in general is worse, way too much tacked-on extra garbage that does not work very well
x4: pretty good, it looks pretty and is fun to play, and the cutscenes are hilarious
x5: kind of ridiculously easy? it's got cool bits and i dig the tone but i might have to replay on a higher difficulty when i get around to it cause normal was kind of pathetic last time i played
x7: https://a.pomf.cat/uusdsm.mp4

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
love the tone zero says "what's going on" with

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Is that from a series? Never played X7 and never will, but maybe someday I'll watch a LP of it all the way through if entertaining enough. So I don't have any gaps in lore, of course.

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome

Fargin Icehole posted:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
mega man x7 is the worst mega man game ever made

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The Colonel posted:

mega man x7 is the worst mega man game ever made

I concur. since I had to actively stop playing it after trying flame hyenard's stage

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
6 out of 8 stages in X8 are really good as is the final stages

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I think X8 ranks above or at least equal to X3. The biggest complaint about it is the abundance of auto-scroll levels.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

X8 was a pretty strong finish for the series. I rate it below the first 4, but higher than 5,6,7. 5 is just kinda mediocre compared to the first 4, 6 is a bad game that I have something of a soft spot for and 7 is an abortion of God. It's just like when other 2d franchises made a really awful jump to 3D but a full console generation late. It is an astoundingly terrible game, not just by Mega Man X standards.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's really astounding how they managed to make a jump to 3d after mega man legends, that controlled much worse than mega man legends 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I really, really, really like Mega Man X1. I've beaten it more times than I can count, far more than any of the NES games, and would go as far as to say it's one of the best overall games on the SNES. I've never been able to get into any of the other X games at all. I remember renting X2 and beating it/liking it well enough, but I've never been able to bring myself to finish a replay. There's just something magical about the first game for me that they were never able to replicate for whatever reason.