Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

VikingofRock posted:

This is mostly true in my experience (and I use a Mac too), but Apple keeps doing things which make life harder for physicists so people are maybe starting to move away from OSX. The SIP stuff with El Capitan in particular broke a ton of physics software and made everyone mad.

lol

why does your physics software conflict with not dicking with system binaries

how

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

lol

why does your physics software conflict with not dicking with system binaries

how

IIRC it was mostly not allowing stuff to access LD_LIBRARY_PATH (if that wasn't technically part of SIP then my bad).

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

time to figure out what desktop environment i want. are there some that are particularly bad?

e: looking a few pages back, looks like gnome is bad

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 11, 2016

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
everything that isn't gnome.

if your vm can't handle the gpu virtualization that gnome requires then your vm is bad, get a better one. vmware player has a free non-commercial license.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mr Dog posted:

everything that isn't gnome.

if your vm can't handle the gpu virtualization that gnome requires then your vm is bad, get a better one. vmware player has a free non-commercial license.
yeah i was running oracle virtualbox back then

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

VikingofRock posted:

This is mostly true in my experience (and I use a Mac too), but Apple keeps doing things which make life harder for physicists so people are maybe starting to move away from OSX. The SIP stuff with El Capitan in particular broke a ton of physics software and made everyone mad.

what was the software doing wrong that System Integrity Protection prevented from breaking peoples' systems?

the biggest problem I know of is some Python installer that replaces /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework which breaks Xcode because LLDB uses Python, SIP helps by preventing that replacement

also there's probably plenty of lovely software that installs to /usr instead of /usr/local, SIP also helps the user by preventing that

also kernel extension developers weren't signing their poo poo and were installing them in /System/Library/Extensions instead of /Library/Extensions where they belonged

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

VikingofRock posted:

IIRC it was mostly not allowing stuff to access LD_LIBRARY_PATH (if that wasn't technically part of SIP then my bad).

nobody should need to override DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH et al in normal use, only during development

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

eschaton posted:

what was the software doing wrong that System Integrity Protection prevented from breaking peoples' systems?

yeah this

if your software is incompatible with SIP it is broken, no excuses

if you can't just install files in the right place where they don't conflict with os stuff, it's probably because what you want is dumb and wrong

i'd bet it's just a persistent culture problem in scientific computing to not learn how to use a computer right

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

eschaton posted:

nobody should need to override DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH et al in normal use, only during development

IDK but apparently every piece of physics software uses it during normal use.

VikingofRock fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 12, 2016

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its all garbage written by math profs. its never gonna work outside their personal machine they haven't updated in 20 years.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

its all garbage written by math profs. its never gonna work outside their personal machine they haven't updated in 20 years.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
scientific computing is why we keep fortran compilers around

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

old academic mindset is that computer is a calculator, yes

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol @ using python and complaining about things not working reliably from machine to machine

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shaggar posted:

lol @ using python and complaining about things not working reliably from machine to machine
lets get it first working reliably on the same machine :v:

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Shaggar posted:

Nah, for me at least most of this stuff was written by NASA and is intended to be used on a variety of unix systems both old and modern.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

kalstrams posted:

old academic mindset is that computer is a calculator, yes

friend calculator

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Shaggar posted:

it's a miracle if it even compiles on osx

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

fritz posted:

it's a miracle if it even compiles on osx

http://reproducibility.cs.arizona.edu/v2/index.html

quote:

In fact, our code is very easy to build. It is somewhat unfair to claim our code cannot be successfully built without asking for our assistance when you meet some problems during building our code.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

VikingofRock posted:

IDK but apparently every piece of physics software uses it during normal use.

you can fix your dynamic links if the authors distributed broken binaries

alternatively your build scripts are broken

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I should have said "used it during normal use", since it's pretty much all fixed now. Also don't read my posts as an indictment of Apple or anything--I'm just talking about what went on in the physics world and giving an example of why some physicists were unhappy with Apple (even if that anger was arguably misplaced). Stuff like breaking a bunch of physics programs--even if those programs used bad practices--has some physicists leaning towards moving away from OSX and back to Linux, which is what started this whole discussion.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
I dipped my toe into the basic machine learning stuff and that was a nightmare of modifying build scripts and headers to point at libraries

this is also compounded by Intel, Nvidia, etc. being irritating wankers with library distribution

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

VikingofRock posted:

I should have said "used it during normal use", since it's pretty much all fixed now. Also don't read my posts as an indictment of Apple or anything--I'm just talking about what went on in the physics world and giving an example of why some physicists were unhappy with Apple (even if that anger was arguably misplaced). Stuff like breaking a bunch of physics programs--even if those programs used bad practices--has some physicists leaning towards moving away from OSX and back to Linux, which is what started this whole discussion.

well at least then your libraries being hosed up will be expected instead of a surprise

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ahmeni posted:

I dipped my toe into the basic machine learning stuff and that was a nightmare of modifying build scripts and headers to point at libraries

this is also compounded by Intel, Nvidia, etc. being irritating wankers with library distribution

import sklearn

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

VikingofRock posted:

Nah, for me at least most of this stuff was written by NASA and is intended to be used on a variety of unix systems both old and modern.

nasa is largely math profs running 20-30 year old software/hardware

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shaggar posted:

perfect shaggaring

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Shaggar posted:

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Shaggar posted:

No, it's not.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

microsoft microsoft windows 95 microsoft internet explorer was such a good os

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

kalstrams posted:

lets get it first working reliably on the same machine :v:

at some point they should probably just go 'here's a docker image' and call it a day

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Jimmy Carter posted:

at some point they should probably just go 'here's a docker image' and call it a day

This is increasingly a thing lately and I hate it

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Jimmy Carter posted:

haha so here's a docker problem

a docker image doesn't include a kernel because it just uses the host linux

so…

if you have a weirdo 32-bit research platform that you want to use, you can't docker without a vagrant

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Shaggar posted:

Lol if you actually think this.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Cocoa Crispies posted:

haha so here's a docker problem

a docker image doesn't include a kernel because it just uses the host linux

so…

if you have a weirdo 32-bit research platform that you want to use, you can't docker without a vagrant

insert that dumb regex quote but with docker

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

Lol if you actually think this.

it's shaggar. he's is referring to OS X and macs so it's basically true

cadenza
Dec 25, 2006

integrity
so i tried installing various linuxes on my thinkpad again

i've been running arch on it because it was the only thing i could get to work, and even then only through archboot. every installation image i try (fedora, lubuntu, debian, arch) gives squashfs errors at varying points in the process. it doesn't look as though anyone else online has been having this problem :(

archboot does some initramfs sorcery and runs entirely out of ram rather than off the usb drive so works with no problems.

i tried multiple different usb drives and tried writing the installation media with BSD dd and GNU dd, and also creating it on a windows machine with unetbootin. the only thing i am thinking now is that coincidentally all my usb drives are sandisk - is this potentially a problem? edit: no i just booted into lubuntu off one of them with no problems on my other computer welp

cadenza fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 13, 2016

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

thats a lot of effort for a linux, idk if ive seen that much trying since i tried to compile a lovely driver for my slackware install in 1999

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

cadenza posted:

so i tried installing various linuxes on my thinkpad again

i've been running arch on it because it was the only thing i could get to work, and even then only through archboot. every installation image i try (fedora, lubuntu, debian, arch) gives squashfs errors at varying points in the process. it doesn't look as though anyone else online has been having this problem :(

archboot does some initramfs sorcery and runs entirely out of ram rather than off the usb drive so works with no problems.

i tried multiple different usb drives and tried writing the installation media with BSD dd and GNU dd, and also creating it on a windows machine with unetbootin. the only thing i am thinking now is that coincidentally all my usb drives are sandisk - is this potentially a problem? edit: no i just booted into lubuntu off one of them with no problems on my other computer welp

have you tried partitioning your internal drive so you can boot off of it instead of a usb?

but honestly it sounds like something is fsked

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

have you tried partitioning your internal drive so you can boot off of it instead of a usb?

but honestly it sounds like something is fsked

Yes! Bypass usb entirely. Plug your laptop drive elsewhere and provision it with fedora. Then move it back. The usb firmware is bad or you have a failing logic board motherboard.

Even better, keep the drive in the laptop in order to perform the most spergiest of installations - PXE network install

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

celeron 300a posted:

Even better, keep the drive in the laptop in order to perform the most spergiest of installations - PXE network install

sounds like someone's never booted a workstation from tape