Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

drat Dirty Ape posted:

As an aside, Thorgrim has an incredible voice actor.

Sounds like the guy who voiced the Dungeon Keeper games. Now I have to look this up...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?
The remainder of the matches in so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg2w1Hfv-3k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AQhgmmkBio

To the remaining players, we're going to be using the same format and maps for these next matches. Send in your lists of 5 factions again as we go into the second set.

Second bracket will be:

420gankmid against ZearothK

And Chomp vs. Doctor Crime

Do not play your matches until I've posted all faction lists. I'd love to have the games in before this weekend with a commentary over the finals done this Saturday and Sunday but I'm OK if things take their time.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I can't do Slayer King's quest battles - the game crashes. No other battle causes crash, and I can disengage from them and attack someone else. I'm running no aggressive agent and 4 tiers for provincial buildings mods only.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

That was a great Empire response to the usual dwarf lineup. Just out artillery-ing dwarfs and forcing them into the long advance that they suck at is an angle I hadn't thought of.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

drat Dirty Ape posted:

As an aside, Thorgrim has an incredible voice actor.

The first time I played Thorgrim I had sit back and admire the fact that the game was letting me play Alan Moore - Dwarf King

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

alex314 posted:

I can't do Slayer King's quest battles - the game crashes. No other battle causes crash, and I can disengage from them and attack someone else. I'm running no aggressive agent and 4 tiers for provincial buildings mods only.

I had this same problem and had to temporarily disable a mod for it to work. I don't remember which mod, but I use no aggressive agents as well so maybe it was that one?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Okay I'm just stone useless with outriders. So I have two from when Bret's attacking one of my towns, I decided to use them on two opposite sides of the field and bounce the bret army back and forth. And I get a great attack of opportunity when the lord is all alone with the rest of the troops running after the other outrider. So I'm waiting, and waiting and waiting, and they Outriders just REFUSE TO SHOOT!

They wont shoot unless they're stationary, and they wont shoot when they're stationary before the lord runs them down and routs them. The gently caress is wrong with these units. I can keep playing cat and mouse all day but unless they put the HIT into the Hit and Run, they're worthless.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Perestroika posted:

I'm also looking forward to the Ghorgon. A huge, four-armed, mutant minotaur about the size of a giant. The modelers can really go hog wild on this faction. :getin:

I see about forty loving skulls here.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Krazyface posted:

Well when you're low on fabric

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Onmi posted:

Okay I'm just stone useless with outriders. So I have two from when Bret's attacking one of my towns, I decided to use them on two opposite sides of the field and bounce the bret army back and forth. And I get a great attack of opportunity when the lord is all alone with the rest of the troops running after the other outrider. So I'm waiting, and waiting and waiting, and they Outriders just REFUSE TO SHOOT!

They wont shoot unless they're stationary, and they wont shoot when they're stationary before the lord runs them down and routs them. The gently caress is wrong with these units. I can keep playing cat and mouse all day but unless they put the HIT into the Hit and Run, they're worthless.

Outriders don't need to be stationary, but they can't shoot behind themselves, so they function more like mounted infantry than true skirmish cavalry. You can still do some pretty cool things with a unit of Handgunners that can safely position themselves for back shots and they're absolute murder running down routing foes because they can shoot while pursuing and their weapons will kill anything.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Can Outriders use their greater height to shoot over melee troops in a way that Handgunners can't?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Krazyface posted:

not enough skulls

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i like the little skull + ribcage combo he's got going on on his shin.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

The Lone Badger posted:

Can Outriders use their greater height to shoot over melee troops in a way that Handgunners can't?

Not really, the body of your mate is still like 95% of the shot, horses aren't quite that big.

They're loving great units though, Gelt's start isn't so bad, I don't really miss the Reiksguard

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Onmi posted:

Well when you're low on fabric

http://oglaf.com/indoorfun/

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

what the gently caress is up with that banner :barf:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It should be noted that while that *specific* comic is SFW, everything else on the site is incredibly not so.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Vargs posted:

I had this same problem and had to temporarily disable a mod for it to work. I don't remember which mod, but I use no aggressive agents as well so maybe it was that one?

Thanks, I'll try it out.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

In the fluff are the High Elves known to go to war against each other?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Baron Porkface posted:

In the fluff are the High Elves known to go to war against each other?

Not really. The Sundering put them off of that. You could probably justify it as infighting between the princes, if you need this for your headcanon or something.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

:argh:

I was literally one turn away from completing my dwarf long campaign (an army was a single move away from colonizing the last ruin I needed up in the north) when chaos was defeated, the Border Princes declared war on Karak Dorn (I had to side with Karak Dorn since I need to be in an alliance with them for their holds to count towards my victory), the BP immediately razed one of my small holds (which I need to win, of course), and a ridiculous swarm of 6 VC agents descended on a single army insuring that every single turn I have a 'assassinate a VC agent' grudge I have to fill.

It's kind of funny, the VC are all but obliterated and have no armies so they just keep swarming agents all over the place. I have no idea how they are paying for all of these agent actions every turn.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
If you find and destroy the army, the grudge should cancel and you should win the game after reclaiming your land. Good luck friend and don't gently caress it up.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

drat Dirty Ape posted:

:argh:

I was literally one turn away from completing my dwarf long campaign (an army was a single move away from colonizing the last ruin I needed up in the north) when chaos was defeated, the Border Princes declared war on Karak Dorn (I had to side with Karak Dorn since I need to be in an alliance with them for their holds to count towards my victory), the BP immediately razed one of my small holds (which I need to win, of course), and a ridiculous swarm of 6 VC agents descended on a single army insuring that every single turn I have a 'assassinate a VC agent' grudge I have to fill.

It's kind of funny, the VC are all but obliterated and have no armies so they just keep swarming agents all over the place. I have no idea how they are paying for all of these agent actions every turn.

sweet, sweet aibux

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

wiegieman posted:

That was a great Empire response to the usual dwarf lineup. Just out artillery-ing dwarfs and forcing them into the long advance that they suck at is an angle I hadn't thought of.

Yeah, caught me by surprise as the dwarf player as well. I figured I'd need a good many men for a checkerboard to deal with cavalry and demigryphs so I only took two cannon :(

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I think the most annoying thing about playing the dwarf campaign for me are how any enemy agent action results in an 'assassinate the enemy' grudge, and dwarf agents suck at assassinating. I'd prefer if the grudges could be settled by agent actions other than assassinate (so like a goblin damages our buildings, you go damage their buildings kind of thing)

As it is, I pretty much had 'assassinate random greenskin agents' as a permanent fixture in my book until I wiped them off the map completely.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Yukitsu posted:

To the remaining players, we're going to be using the same format and maps for these next matches. Send in your lists of 5 factions again as we go into the second set.

Just to be clear here, are we just resending you the info or are we allowed/intended to mix up our deployment order?

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Chomp8645 posted:

Just to be clear here, are we just resending you the info or are we allowed/intended to mix up our deployment order?

Sending a new lineup. I still have the old one so I wouldn't ask you all to send me that. You can send me the same 5 factions if you think it's a good lineup though.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Hellblaster Cannons are great.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

The Lone Badger posted:

It should be noted that while that *specific* comic is SFW, everything else on the site is incredibly not so.

Spider dick suck

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

goodness posted:

Spider dick suck

Luckyyyyy.

I got a "Pussy Quest 5" banner ad.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Avasculous posted:

Luckyyyyy.

I got a "Pussy Quest 5" banner ad.

Eh, they were just phoning it in after Pussy Quest 2.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
So during the campaign does anyone else let their armies more or less sit around if war isn't going on? Or do you guys just disband them and create new ones? I know Total War eventually just happens and we can't afford to. I'm more wondering if breaking armies down for more cash per turn is a viable thing mid-game when there's temporary peace.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

NT Plus posted:

So during the campaign does anyone else let their armies more or less sit around if war isn't going on? Or do you guys just disband them and create new ones? I know Total War eventually just happens and we can't afford to. I'm more wondering if breaking armies down for more cash per turn is a viable thing mid-game when there's temporary peace.

You must always be infinite hellwarring with at least one target at all times.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Just lol if you aren't always at war

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm trying to imagine being at peace long enough for the maintenance savings to outweight the re-recruitment costs. In fact I'm trying to imagine being at war with nobody in general.

Game's called Total War, not Total Peace. If you ain't fightin then you're scrubbin.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

NT Plus posted:

It's definitely what I do if I have an army near my home territories that I don't need. I mean, upkeep on my dwarves is literally 1/3rd their recruitment cost, and I can crap out five units per turn if I have to. Confederation often leads me to having armies I don't require, that just aren't worth marching across my territory to where they might be useful.

I don't disband advanced units that require many turns to recruit, or veterans, obviously.

Also, yeah, I tend to generally only war with 1-2 enemies at a time, and have actually enjoyed periods of reasonable peace while I built up my economy and made friends. Soooo...

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 12, 2016

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Spiros posted:

Just lol if you aren't always at war

also, removing units removes their earned xp

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Get the trait that gives you bonus order/fightiniess for every concurrent war and then declare on everyone.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
In my Dwarves campaign I had a solid 20 turns of peace after I killed the Greenskins where the northern Dwarves were dealing with poo poo while I completely rebuilt my army with Ironbreakers.

Early on its extremely rare but its not something that uncommon if you like getting built up before a big push. It tends to happen in all of my campaigns once I get the capability to build end-game stuff; I'll systematically replace all my units with high tier stuff across my armies, leveraging the veterancy hero present in every TW games to make them super elite right away. You can transition through this process just as easily though, so yeah you never really need to be completely at peace.

It's basically prepping yourself to be in paint-the-map mode with no stoppages for the remainder of the campaign, so once you get here you probably already won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

NT Plus posted:

I have at least one army hanging around my homeland that is there just in case a) a neighbor suddenly goes bad or b) savage orcs pop out of nowhere. I trained a Thane up to be a drill sergeant (with bonuses to recruiting), so while they are on 'garrison' duty they keep leveling up and he can run trained units to the front line if necessary. Anyway, I've found that sitting around in one place for too long is a good way to get your lord bad traits (like the 'lazy' trait and some alcoholic trait). I have a lord permanently assigned to Mount Gunbad with all sorts of +% income modifications who has a ton of those 'bad' traits from never doing anything.

Usually it's better to find a use for your old units than it is to disband them, but if you are absolutely sure you aren't going to use them for a while and they don't have any extra xp or anything you may as well get rid of them. Whenever I confederate there are almost always a few useless scraps of armies with terribly skilled lords that I scrap immediately. Also, sometimes it's more convenient and cost effective to disband an army and re-recruit elsewhere if it's going to take 4-5 turns for them to get to where they need to be anyway. Finally, if money is no object sometimes I disband units and re-hire them at higher xp levels due to bonuses from buildings, events, technologies, and/or heroes.

• Locked thread