Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Overminty posted:

Yes eventually when you unlock enough rooms at the end of time. Caveat is that you will forget all the spells and skills you've learned so make sure to buy/make any spells you want to have again afterwards.

Should I hold off on learning spells/skills until then? Or is gaining spell and skill books not that much of a problem?

For monetary reference we've made our way most of the way through the first town and I've got >5000 gp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Morpheus posted:

Should I hold off on learning spells/skills until then? Or is gaining spell and skill books not that much of a problem?

For monetary reference we've made our way most of the way through the first town and I've got >5000 gp.

It shouldn't be a problem, you unlock vendors at the end of time who have tons of skills stocked. Every vendor's stock gets replaced when you level, so check back every so often. I believe you can craft your own skills as well from scrolls.

Unless Enhanced Edition significantly changed the balance, you'll eventually have more money than you can possibly spend if you keep stealing everything that isn't nailed down. Skills are a much less meaningful expense than buying rare equipment.

Also how heavily invested are you? Pre-Enhanced Edition it made sense to pick up a level or two in plenty of off skills because a) it's cheap and b) it can give you effective utility skills. All of my party members had a level in Scoundrel by the end for the haste and invisibility effects.

Eldred fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 11, 2016

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I'm playing Alpha Protocol for the first time, and the wiki page is a huge wall of text full of contradictions:

http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Alpha_Protocol

Could someone who's played it maybe filter out the bits of it which are important?

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jul 12, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gerblyn posted:

I'm playing Alpha Protocol for the first time, and the wiki page is a huge wall of text full of inconsistencies:

Could someone who's played it maybe filter out the bits of it which are important?

Pick Rookie as your starting background for the first time through.

Invest in Chain Shot on the pistol and headshot people with impunity.

The "best" order to play hubs in is Russia, Taiwan, Egypt difficulty-wise, but really you can mix-and-match as you please.

The Safehouse Infiltration mission in Egypt has the tier-3 silencer in it, making your pistol completely inaudible and breaking most fights clean over your knee.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Neddy Seagoon has Egypt confused with Rome, but ignoring that he has a very good selection of tips. I'd just add:
- I'd generally recommend you explore the areas in the order of Moscow-Tapei-Rome (Rome is unquestionably the culmination of the storyline and where poo poo gets real) but the Moscow boss might be a bit difficult if you don't have contacts in Taipei. Remember that you can skip between areas to level up and get useful stuff.

...because knowing a guy in Taipei will give you the option to spend some cash in advance to make the Moscow boss easier. You don't even have to spend a whole lot of time in Taipei too, it will just be a quick side-tour.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jul 12, 2016

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Cool, thanks!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'd even recommend skipping around the globe to do missions in "tiers" - do the first ones in all three cities, then do the seconds... Mind you, feel free to advance any plot line that grips you.

e: Also you've made me reinstall it and finally do that Archer run, goddamnyouall.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jul 12, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mierenneuker posted:

Neddy Seagoon has Egypt confused with Rome

I do too :cripes:. It's been a fair while since I played AP.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Morpheus posted:

I mean that's not terrible, as they aren't melee based, but it's good to know. Also what's the deal with respec-ing and any skill books I've read?

By the time you unlock the respec option you'll be a fair chunk through the game and have enough money to get any skillbooks you want or make them yourself.

Eldred posted:

Unless Enhanced Edition significantly changed the balance, you'll eventually have more money than you can possibly spend if you keep stealing everything that isn't nailed down. Skills are a much less meaningful expense than buying rare equipment.

It has not, though the best money source is a Magic Thread & Needle and Cloth Scraps. Crafting is brilliant and all you need is to put it up to 3 and get a belt and bracers to bring you to level 5 for some really broken gear.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jul 12, 2016

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Gerblyn posted:

I'm playing Alpha Protocol for the first time, and the wiki page is a huge wall of text full of contradictions:

Like half the later stuff is mine. Tell what you feel is unclear / contradicts other stuff?

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009

Gerblyn posted:

The page doesn't mention that you can swap out weapon and armor parts mid mission, which can be really handy in certain situations. You don't need a silencer dropping your damage when an alarm is already on, and you might as well stick the loud Damage Reduction parts on your armor.

On that note, Utility Armor is far better than Combat Armor for running around in the open, because of upgrade slots. Damage Reduction parts won't make you invincible, but they do make a fairly noticeable difference. Honestly, they're probably necessary if you want to use SMGs or Shotguns as your primary weapon.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
It's the advice for how to build your character which is confusing, like one line says to ignore all weapon skills, another says to max out a weapon skill and another says to just get pistols and forget about everything else. In the end though, the article just has too much stuff on it, making it hard to see what's important and what's just a tip that makes your life easier or helps maximize your play through.

Jegan posted:

Honestly, they're probably necessary if you want to use SMGs or Shotguns as your primary weapon.

I actually tried going Martial Arts as a primary thing, then promptly restarted when I saw how much of a pain in the rear end it was gonna be.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
It's difficult because there are several really powerful builds that are very different.

When I played, I did pistols and stealth and the only place I had problems was with the boss fight in Moscow, so it really is a good idea to do a little in Taipei to unlock some intel.

You can totally go a different route and do shotguns, which makes stealth less useful.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Gerblyn posted:

It's the advice for how to build your character which is confusing, like one line says to ignore all weapon skills, another says to max out a weapon skill and another says to just get pistols and forget about everything else. In the end though, the article just has too much stuff on it, making it hard to see what's important and what's just a tip that makes your life easier or helps maximize your play through.
Yeah, fair enough. I should have either tailored my :words: spill to eliminate redundancies with previous advice, or asked for wiki access to remove stuff that's outright mistaken and contradicts correct advice (my own, obviously).

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Gerblyn posted:

Don't be afraid to make separate saves after/during each mission. Start on the easiest difficulty level.

Char creation: recruit starts you with 0 skill points, but if you pick all "recruit" dialogue options during the tutorial you get back 10 (compared to iirc 30 for the other classes). I prefer this because it makes most sense for the fish-out-of-water plot that will happen.

Stealth is very powerful - literally turns you invisible for a few seconds.

Weaponry: pistol > rifles > shotgun > uzi. Don't use uzis unless you want a challenge game. Melee is a lot more specialized/circumstantial, requires investing in health and some enemies require ranged attacks. OTOH karate-chopping enemies is very dumb + fun.

Honestly combat isn't the best part of the game so just find whatever finishes encounters quickly (aka quickshot)

Do all normal missions in an area before doing the red missions as it will give you more backstory and goodies. Also you might miss out on some excellent npcs if you blitz through.

if you have trouble with the hacking minigame, don't worry, everyone does. Try to focus your eyes somewhere away from the text to see the text strings more easily.

Conversation wheel: Top = aggressive, brute. Right: professional, cold. Occasionally supportive. Left: 'suave', usually jokey, often sexist, james-bond-y. The game tends to switch around the specifics but the tone will be constant. E.g.: If a character can be killed it'll be in the top position.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
This all reminds me that the Heroes of Might and Magic 3 page is kind of a mess also with a lot of advice that's either inaccurate, completely subjective or just weirdly written. With no disrespect to anyone who has contributed, as someone who has put a whole ot of time into that game over the years I'd go as far as to replace the whole thing with the following (which incorporates a bunch of the more useful advice there):

quote:

- If possible, it's generally not adviced to play the official HD remaster version of HoMM III due to it lacking all expansion content. The original HoMM III Complete can be brought up to modern resolutions with a free HD patch (https://sites.google.com/site/heroes3hd/) which also adds a bunch of very useful quality of life improvements such as the ability to purchase all creatures in a town at once, the option to re-attempt fights, and more.

- The order the official campaigns are meant to be played goes Restoration of Erathia -> Armageddon's Blade -> Shadow of Death. The campaign menu lists these in the opposite order, leading to a lot of players inadvertendly starting from the hardest campaign.

- Save often and in multiple slots, do not rely on the game's autosave function very much as it autosaves at the end of each turn rather than the beginning. This is incredibly important in campaigns where you often have an essential hero that is not allowed to lose or even flee from combat without failing the entire scenario, as it's very possible to get stuck with an autosave where that hero has used up all their movement and thus has no way to avoid an enemy army they can't win against.

- In campaigns where your hero carries over from one scenario to the next, it's worth getting as many permanent attribute boosts and spells as possible before finishing the current scenario as they will carry over as well. Artifacts will not carry over, some plot-specific ones notwithstanding.

- Upgrading your Village/Town/City Hall into a Capital in your starting town should usually be your first priority due to the income boost it provides. There are a handful of exceptions however, for example Tower will want to upgrade Gremlins into Master Gremlins and Conflux will want to upgrade Pixies to Sprites on the first day as they're far stronger than their unupgraded counterparts and make early fights far easier.

- It's often a good idea to hire a second hero from your town's Tavern on the first day. Not only can you add their starting troops to yours, but you can use them to pick up resources, transport troops, grab weekly creatures and resources and so forth while your main hero focuses on exploring and fighting enemies.

- A handful of heroes start with a powerful high-level spell at level 1, such as Tower's Solmyr (Chain Lightning), Dungeon's Jeddite (Resurrection) and Necropolis' Aislinn (Meteor Shower). These can be very advantageous all throughout the game. Some heroes also produce free gold or resources, making them useful secondary heroes even if they never fight a single battle.

- A town with a Mage Guild will fully replenish the Spell Points of any hero who ends their turn there at the beginning of their next turn.

- Having Expert skill in a magic school often greatly amplifies the power of spells belonging to that school, most notably causing most status effects to apply to entire armies rather than individual units.

- Morale and Luck can't go over +3 or below -3, any further increase or reduction past those points has no effect.

- Ranged units only deal half damage in melee unless they have "No melee penalty" listed in their abilities, so getting your melee units next to enemy ranged units and keeping your enemy from doing the same is very important. Most ranged units also deal reduced damage from long range and when attacking from the outside of city walls, represented by your targeting cursor turning into a broken arrow as opposed to a whole one which represents full damage.

- AI heroes will always try to run away if they're losing a fight, often with an annoying "parting gift" in the form of a Lightning Bolt to your weakest stack. When your enemy is starting to be low on troops in a fight, do your best to wipe them out in a single assault before they manage to get a turn which would allow them to flee.

- The 4th level spell Armageddon can be combined with fire-immune creatures such as Black Dragons or Fire Elementals to deal devastating damage to enemy armies while leaving your side unharmed. A high-level Anti-Magic spell can also make individual stacks immune to Armageddon.

- Controlling your own and your enemy's Speed is one of the key components for winning fights with minimum casualties. This makes Slow arguably the most universally useful spell in the game despite it being 1st level, as a hero with Expert Earth Magic can cripple entire armies with a single cast of Slow.

- In addition to its role in combat, the creature with the lowest Speed stat in an army also determines how many movement points that army has available on the adventure map. For that reason it's not recommended to bring very slow creatures such as Walking Dead or Dwarves along when going for longer journeys as they will slow your hero down significantly.

- Certain terrains increase the amount of movement points required to traverse them on the adventure map, in effect slowing down your heroes. These terrains are Rough (+25%), Sand (+50%), Snow (+50%) and Swamp (+75%), making swampland the hardest terrain to travel in the game. The Pathfinding skill reduces or eliminates these penalties. Roads have the opposite effect, allowing an army to travel further than normal.

- Each creature also has "native" terrain on which they suffer no movement penalties, and they even gain bonuses in battles taking place on that terrain. For example, an army consisting only of creatures from the swamp-dwelling Fortress town can move on Swamp terrain without suffering the normal +75% penalty to movement point costs.

- Some secondary skills are more useful than others. The following is a rough order of usefulness, but it's by no means absolute as opinions vary and for example Archery is less useful if your army has weak or no ranged units and Leadership is more useful if you have creatures from many different towns as it offsets the morale penalty from having a mixed army.

GREAT - Air Magic, Earth Magic, Logistics, Offense, Wisdom, Necromancy (only for Necropolis)

GOOD - Archery, Armorer, Diplomacy, Intelligence, Tactics, Water Magic

USEFUL - Fire Magic, Leadership, Luck

SITUATIONAL - Navigation (Great on water-heavy maps, useless otherwise), Pathfinding (Great when facing lots of harsh terrain, useless otherwise)

BAD - Artillery, Ballistics, Mysticism, Resistance, Scholar, Scouting, Sorcery, Estates (good on secondary heroes)

TERRIBLE - Eagle Eye, First Aid, Learning

- Once you have good handle on the game and want to experience something new, the fan-made and free expansion Horn of the Abyss adds a new town, campaigns and many good balance/QoL improvements. In the Wake of Gods is another option for advanced players, adding huge amounts of customizable options that can alter practically all aspects of the game, often to imbalanced but entertaining results.

Suggestions are obviously welcome. It's pretty long, but there's a lot of different aspects to the game.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 12, 2016

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

My girlfriend is nearing the end of dragon age 2, so now it's time to ask: what's a good class to play in Dragon age Inquisition for someone who's not very good at video games?

She played 2h warrior in da2 and did quite well; I haven't even had to rig the game to make party members chug potions yet. For DAI I'm thinking I'll have her take Blackwall and Solas in the party to let the AI handle the tanking/barrier roles so she can play a more straightforward damager type.

What's a good damage class that doesn't rely on too much careful use/timing of too many abilities? I do finally have her in the habit of using the right trigger to access more than 3 abilities, but I'd still like to avoid a class that's expected to use the full 8 skills to survive.

Maybe melee rogue? Or are they terribly fragile? When I played DAI I played warrior but I remember being a little unimpressed with the 2 hander so I ended up tanking; but it's not something she'd enjoy, I don't think.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

She should play as a mage and then specialize as Knight-Enchanter once Skyhold opens up. Despite being a magic class, you use spectral blades to give yourself barriers, which by the end of the game becomes so insanely overpowered that you can solo dragons.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.

Yeah I personally play a melee Rogue and it's terrible times staying alive after doing the Big Damage if my tank is faffing about elsewhere. I mitigated this by just manually telling Cassie to tank. This all may be because I'm a hard difficulty masochist.

Maybe ranged Rogue? I heard it's pretty boring. If she likes chopping poo poo up, go for 2H Warrior.

EDIT: Or Knight-Enchanter works too.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Knight-enchanter is a good idea yeah. Once you unlock the spec, you pretty much only use those Abilities from then on, right? And there's what, 4? Should be p easy. And in the run-up to it, low-level Mage is pretty straightforward as I recall.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ainsley McTree posted:

Knight-enchanter is a good idea yeah. Once you unlock the spec, you pretty much only use those Abilities from then on, right? And there's what, 4? Should be p easy. And in the run-up to it, low-level Mage is pretty straightforward as I recall.

You can do whatever as a Mage until you complete Act 1 by helping either the Mages or Templars (leave the Hinterlands). Once you complete the Knight-Enchanter specialization quest at Skyhold you can use the respec necklace to put as many points as you can into the tree at that point. Spirit is a good secondary path for K-E because it improves the strength of your barriers. Frost is also good because you get a teleport and more passive mana regen.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kanfy posted:

This all reminds me that the Heroes of Might and Magic 3 page is kind of a mess also with a lot of advice that's either inaccurate, completely subjective or just weirdly written. With no disrespect to anyone who has contributed, as someone who has put a whole ot of time into that game over the years I'd go as far as to replace the whole thing with the following (which incorporates a bunch of the more useful advice there):

Suggestions are obviously welcome. It's pretty long, but there's a lot of different aspects to the game.

Can you link me the free HD resolution mod? I've been playing at old-school resolution since the HD remaster does indeed suck.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Melee that isn't Sword and Board or Knight-Enchanter in DAI is super squishy. The AI can't really competently play so 2-Hander Warrior or Dual-Wield Rogue unless they have guard generating weapons and even then they're still going to die a lot. Knowing this wouldn't recommend them to a general non-gamer, even on Easy mode. She'll want to be ranged. If all she wants to do is push buttons and win then it's hard to go wrong with an Archer Assassin. Any mage is also good but will want a bit more thought into what order you do things.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Watching the Diablo 2 run from SGDQ has got me nostalgic for it but it's been years since I played it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Can you link me the free HD resolution mod? I've been playing at old-school resolution since the HD remaster does indeed suck.

https://sites.google.com/site/heroes3hd/

The new features are under "Documentation", HD+ is worth enabling just for the ability to re-do battles. It means you can always keep Quick Combat on if you want, and only manually fight the battles that you need to fight.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kanfy posted:

The new features are under "Documentation", HD+ is worth enabling just for the ability to re-do battles. It means you can always keep Quick Combat on if you want, and only manually fight the battles that you need to fight.

Oh wow. Yeah that's going to be a huge quality of life improvement. Kinda cheating but who cares?

Ahhh and they added simultaneous turns to multi. That's a game changer.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh wow. Yeah that's going to be a huge quality of life improvement. Kinda cheating but who cares?

Ahhh and they added simultaneous turns to multi. That's a game changer.

Well, it's as much cheating as reloading your save after a fight doesn't go the way you want. Mostly it just saves a ton of time since whatever Quick Combat can handle you can undoubtedly handle too.

No idea about how simultaneous turns work, I've never tried that one.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Kanfy posted:

I'm not sold on the campaign play order - Shadow of Death is your standard fare difficulty curve thingy but Armageddon's Blade's campaigns vary between trivial and completely batshit insane (why hello there Dragon Slayer and a first mission you can't win if the random spell generator doesn't give you the right stuff), I'd suggest saving that one for last.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

I'm not sold on the campaign play order - Shadow of Death is your standard fare difficulty curve thingy but Armageddon's Blade's campaigns vary between trivial and completely batshit insane (why hello there Dragon Slayer and a first mission you can't win if the random spell generator doesn't give you the right stuff), I'd suggest saving that one for last.

Well, Shadow of Death allows you to freely choose your difficulty level but I do think it's still the overall hardest campaign set. It especially loves its "Enemy has one-way portal to your lands" -maps with aggressive enemies right from the beginning and you're almost always at a very noticeable disadvantage without the immediate means to strike back, not to mention you tend to have more essential heroes (later with randomized skillsets no less) to babysit particularly towards the latter half.

Armageddon's Blade has some harsh maps but it also tends to give you more space to work with. The first Dragon Slayer scenario is a total gimmick map but it's also the first one so you can restart it at will and Dracon is a hilariously strong hero especially since the first map gives you all Magic skills right off the bat, so it's pretty smooth sailing afterwards.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Kanfy posted:

I don't need much convincing.

I replaced the existing page with your tips.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Dr Snofeld posted:

Watching the Diablo 2 run from SGDQ has got me nostalgic for it but it's been years since I played it.

This would vary based on which version you're playing. LoD? Newest patch? A mod? Base 1.09 patch?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Centipeed posted:

I don't need much convincing.

I replaced the existing page with your tips.

Thanks, much appreciated. Of course I only now realized that I misspelled "Capitol" as "Capital" even though I looked the thing over like five times. :downs:

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Zaodai posted:

This would vary based on which version you're playing. LoD? Newest patch? A mod? Base 1.09 patch?

I suppose Lord of Destruction with the newest patch.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Dr Snofeld posted:

I suppose Lord of Destruction with the newest patch.

They added respecs to the game, you get 1 per difficulty if I recall.
Depending on when you last played, they also added Synergy bonuses. So a low tier skill will offer bonuses to a higher tier skill.
There are "Uber" bosses that you can find keys to summon portals for, which in turn give you things to let you get to Uber Tristram and fight some badasses. That will get you a Hellfire unique charm that's pretty awesome.
As far as I recall every class has at least 1 viable build, usually more.
Runewords are still strong as poo poo, but not particularly viable if you're playing offline. Unlike D3, high end sets tend to range from garbage to "okay until you get something good". They won't compete with good runewords and uniques.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
The general advice I've seen for D2 is that the stats are poorly balanced and you want to go with just enough Str and Dex to use your found equipment, put all the rest of your points in Vit, and never ever go into Energy (use equipment with +Mana instead). Seems it hasn't changed much over the years, that's the build I still do on all my characters. Equipment is way more important than stats, so you might as well just pump up the one that lets you live longer.

Mine own question: Is there anything a total newcomer should know about Fire Emblem Fates that isn't already on the site? I played one of the GBA ones for a few levels back when it was new but I barely remember it, so basically all I have to go on is "is strategy RPG" and "has permadeath". Any advice or heads up about hidden stuff (that isn't easily discovered on my own) or mechanics the game doesn't cover would be appreciated. I'm starting with Birthright and if I like that I'll get Conquest, the 3DS thread steered me that way.

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 12, 2016

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Skills for everyone: Logistics, Armorer, Archery, maybe Pathfinder
Skill for Might heroes: Offense, Tactics, Leadership (not if Necro)
Skills for Magic heroes: Wisdom, Intelligence, Sorcery, Air Magic, Earth Magic, maybe Mysticism

Castle: Good for might heroes. Get archangels ASAP.
Rampart: Decent for might heroes.
Tower: Hands down the best choice for magic heroes. Guzzles resources.
Dungeon: Good for both might and magic. Needs a lot of gold. Dragons are awesome.
Inferno: Not great.
Stronghold: Good for might heroes, utterly useless for magic.
Necropolis: Pretty good, especially for might, but it requires a playstyle all it's own. Not for beginners.
Fortress: Horrible, never play this.
Conflux (requires expansion): very good for magic heroes.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Gynovore posted:

Skills for everyone: Logistics, Armorer, Archery, maybe Pathfinder
Skill for Might heroes: Offense, Tactics, Leadership (not if Necro)
Skills for Magic heroes: Wisdom, Intelligence, Sorcery, Air Magic, Earth Magic, maybe Mysticism

Castle: Good for might heroes. Get archangels ASAP.
Rampart: Decent for might heroes.
Tower: Hands down the best choice for magic heroes. Guzzles resources.
Dungeon: Good for both might and magic. Needs a lot of gold. Dragons are awesome.
Inferno: Not great.
Stronghold: Good for might heroes, utterly useless for magic.
Necropolis: Pretty good, especially for might, but it requires a playstyle all it's own. Not for beginners.
Fortress: Horrible, never play this.
Conflux (requires expansion): very good for magic heroes.

There's no real need to make a distinction between skills for might heroes and skills for magic heroes for the most part. A might hero will almost always want to take Earth Magic over Leadership and a magic hero will almost always want to take Offense over Sorcery (and definitely over Mysticism), it's called Might & Magic rather than Might or Magic after all. :v:

As for towns, some are stronger or weaker than others but they're all totally fine for single player and casual multiplayer.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Always take logistics.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Ainsley McTree posted:

My girlfriend is nearing the end of dragon age 2, so now it's time to ask: what's a good class to play in Dragon age Inquisition for someone who's not very good at video games?

I would say melee rogue and encourage her to get stealth upgrades and do crafting.

It's all very well talking about Knight enchanters and so on, but you don't get specializations until you're a way into the game, by which time you'll be pretty good at everything anyway. Personally I found being a mage heartbreakingly dull in Inquisition, after it had been so great in earlier Dragon Ages - only the Rift mages get interesting spells, and them only quite late. Archers can at least move a little while fighting, but slowly, which for me at least is just frustrating. Melee rogues get to move fast (at the press of a button, not requiring player dexterity) and hide whenever things are tricky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

Mine own question: Is there anything a total newcomer should know about Fire Emblem Fates that isn't already on the site? I played one of the GBA ones for a few levels back when it was new but I barely remember it, so basically all I have to go on is "is strategy RPG" and "has permadeath". Any advice or heads up about hidden stuff (that isn't easily discovered on my own) or mechanics the game doesn't cover would be appreciated. I'm starting with Birthright and if I like that I'll get Conquest, the 3DS thread steered me that way.

In Birthright, Kaze will die in a cutscene (even on casual) at the end of chapter 14 (or was it 15?) if he has an A-rank or less support with the avatar. This is not a spoiler because whether he lives or not has no bearing on the story and his death will be as random as his survival. No similar event happens in Conquest or Revelation. I don't know why it was included.