Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
So, fun fact: The original 360 release of this did not have a target switch button. At all. You were at the mercy of the auto-targeting. That's why it's so weirdly mapped to Start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I've played more of this game than I'm proud of.

I got all the party members...

Looking back, I really should have stopped sooner.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
I was waiting for the other shoe to drop, then I got to Welch's intro.

I'm gonna need a lot of alcohol to get through this LP, aren't I?

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

So, fun fact: The original 360 release of this did not have a target switch button. At all. You were at the mercy of the auto-targeting. That's why it's so weirdly mapped to Start.

Thaaaaat's Tri-Ace!

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
If only the nukes had finished off humanity, all of this could have been avoided.

Happy to see you guys back!

So, my memory of the earlier games are a bit fuzzy. Was world war III in the lore before this game? I don't seem to remember that.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass

coleman francis posted:

If only the nukes had finished off humanity, all of this could have been avoided.

Happy to see you guys back!

So, my memory of the earlier games are a bit fuzzy. Was world war III in the lore before this game? I don't seem to remember that.

I have no idea whether or not they ever brought it up before but it's definitely a thing in Star Trek and Star Ocean steals so much from there that if they didn't you can safely assume that it was always supposed to be the case and they just never mentioned it before.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I entirely agree about firing whoever isn't letting you (and also me) play pokemon go. Try using the fire employee button (L2 or R2).

anthrax
Dec 10, 2013
Oh great, another JRPG trainwreck. Why do you hate yourself, wateyad?

Looking forward to this.

And just as I started rewatching your Last Story LP.
(Side remark: I just noticed Dagran was named "Quack" in the Japanese version of LS, which makes Big Bird doubly awesome)

Also: No Apples this time? D'aw :(

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Oh good lord, what are you guys doing? SO4 made my eyes bleed just by looking at it, how can you force yourselves to play this wreck of a game?

The only Star Ocean game I could tolerate was SO2, everything before and after is awful. :colbert:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

you've been threatening us with this game for what, 6 years?

and my god, this voice acting at least lives up to the reputation

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

ProfessorProf posted:

I'm gonna need a lot of alcohol to get through this LP, aren't I?

She is far from the worst character. Far, far far.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

so on a scale of beer to everclear how much alcohol do you need for this

I'm guessing vodka, at least

ETA: the battle tutorial video is half an hour long.

I'm trying to think of things more alcoholic than vodka and coming up blank.

Bliss Authority fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 12, 2016

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

ProfessorProf posted:

Edge's reaction to her was amazing.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Honestly, Welch looking so different is probably yet another early warning sign for the player.

Like, regardless of whether you like or hate her in general, she IS a fan favorite who appears in every game looking the exact same - except this one. Even ignoring the "she's probably a 4D resident screwing around" argument, just in general the radical design shift is so abrupt and random. Hell, the color design would be incredibly jarring regardless, let alone all other appearances being in soft colors.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 13, 2016

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Oh god Star Ocean the last hope.

I adore this game, it's stupid as all hell and I love it. I mean christ it's a prequel and it's subtitled The Last Hope for fucks sake. Also Edge is somehow even dumber than his name. Getting into that now would be spoilers but trust me it's amazing.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 13, 2016

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I bought this game for X360 because I wanted an action RPG, and got to like the second area before stopping. Later, when I got a PS3, I bought this game again for cheap because I really wanted an action RPG, and the PS3 version has a couple of extra things. I put it on the side for a while, before eventually going through the ENTIRE loving GAME, including part of the extra postgame content, before stopping for a while. Later, my PS3 broke, and I needed to transfer all my saves and poo poo before sending it in for repairs.

Of course, this game being what it is, it's one of the few completely single player games on PS3 with locked saves that you can't backup. So, while almost all of data from the rest of the PS3 was preserved, I lost my saves for this game and all the progress that went with them. That pissed me off.

It didn't piss me off because I ENJOYED this game. It was pleasant enough in terms of "I managed to not want to burn the system with the game in it", and I got that pseudo-enjoyment of watching as the story carefully kept getting dumber and dumber. No, it pissed me off because I made it through this entire game on a drive of hatred and sheer stubbornness, through all the stupid poo poo it puts you through, all the ugly character models and a crafting system that mistook tediousness for depth, and now? It's all gone. If I ever wanted to go back and feel like I fully completed this game, I would have to start all over again. The only actual reason I would want to do that would just be to finish all that stuff off, but sometimes I do want to do that with games, just to see that. It's gone now.

gently caress this game.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

this game does one thing that i wish other games did, which is have a cutscene synopsis if you skip them.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Oh god, I remember this game. For some godforsaken reason I actually not only finished the damned thing, but finished all of the side content as well. Not the finest use of time in my life.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Bliss Authority posted:

so on a scale of beer to everclear how much alcohol do you need for this

gently caress alcohol it's all about IV'd heroin and heroic doses of ecstasy in this LP.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I actually liked Welch in that scene. Which is weird because usually I really hate these characters. Maybe I liked that she was really annoying a guy named Edge Maverick.

As to the graphics, watching the opening cinematic I was hoping for a moment the graphics won't be so extremely anime... But then I remembered the Welch screenshot and just braced for the in-engine graphics to roll in.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Welch promises to make Edge Maverick suffer. She can't be all bad.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

What is confusing to me is that they are stranded on the other side of the galaxy or whatever, but Welch's intro makes it seem like she'll be able to phone you... from Earth? In which case, we can just ask her to send some people to pick us up, and just slum it on Fantasy RPG planet for a couple years or whatever while they build better ships? The plot hasn't even started yet and I'm already confused.

anthrax
Dec 10, 2013

Bliss Authority posted:

I'm trying to think of things more alcoholic than vodka and coming up blank.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stroh

Try Stroh 80. It's 160 proof. And disgusting.

anthrax fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jul 13, 2016

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

What really bothers me is that in all that disaster, the disruption, an early warp exit and a crash, they landed mostly okay on their exact target planet. Not only that, but within what a pretty small area. They've started the game with the stakes unbelievably low.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Considering all the other games start off with reasons for the main characters getting stuck on a planet, this one is probably the worst.

Hell, In 2 the one character is teleported to a planet across the galaxy with literally no way to communicate. That game had a better excuse for why he uses a sword. He's laser gun runs out of batteries or brakes or something. 2's plot was still anime garbage, but at least they covered their based better.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

MooCowlian posted:

What really bothers me is that in all that disaster, the disruption, an early warp exit and a crash, they landed mostly okay on their exact target planet. Not only that, but within what a pretty small area. They've started the game with the stakes unbelievably low.

Ok, my brain somehow skipped over the part where this was the target planet for all five ships. I had assumed the ships were all going to different places (Because why would you send five ships to the same place? These people weren't behaving like this was a potential suicide mission, they expected to transit without problem. Send one, bigger ship if you're not expecting a significant fraction of them to blow up), and the magic space rock had brought them all to some different place as part of its sinister plan.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Obviously the planet isn't really the one they wanted, it's a planet-mimic! It's gonna eat them all in a couple videos. Then we move to the real main character with the normal not-stupid name.

Right? Please?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

It hadn't actually occurred to me that they might have different targets, which seems more likely. Either way, it's still dumb they've landed on our ridiculous protagonist's target whether or not it's intended for the others.

This whole thing is a hundred layers of stupid.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jul 13, 2016

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
So far this intro has been done better in literally every way by Xenoblade Chronicles X. Virtually the exact same beats, just a few reasons are slightly different. (Earth blows up because x, remnants of humanity crash on Planet Y)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Glad to see you survived your countries ritualistic suicide. This is going to be fun!

So, did you ever play Extensive Lighting dress up simulator? As someone who hated the first two ones, I really love 13-3.
And while I ask unrelated questions, what's a moperator anyway?

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass

Air is lava! posted:

So, did you ever play Extensive Lighting dress up simulator? As someone who hated the first two ones, I really love 13-3.

Time limits bug me even when they shouldn't and the demo gave me the impression that I'd react to it roughly like I did X-2, which is to say "I should like this but it's just not grabbing me." So no.

quote:

And while I ask unrelated questions, what's a moperator anyway?

It's a long story but the short version is like an IK but for the grey forums.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Red Bones posted:

What is confusing to me is that they are stranded on the other side of the galaxy or whatever, but Welch's intro makes it seem like she'll be able to phone you... from Earth? In which case, we can just ask her to send some people to pick us up, and just slum it on Fantasy RPG planet for a couple years or whatever while they build better ships? The plot hasn't even started yet and I'm already confused.

They mentioned something about subspace communications after the crash, so I guess they had a space phone but it broke.

The cutscene's switch from inside the ship to evil meteor was incredibly jarring. I thought it was a weird load screen at first.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

goatface posted:

Ok, my brain somehow skipped over the part where this was the target planet for all five ships. I had assumed the ships were all going to different places (Because why would you send five ships to the same place? These people weren't behaving like this was a potential suicide mission, they expected to transit without problem. Send one, bigger ship if you're not expecting a significant fraction of them to blow up), and the magic space rock had brought them all to some different place as part of its sinister plan.
I assumed someone was going to say something to the effect of 'we're in the right place, but not the right TIME' because that would be more cliche

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Are the medieval fantasy planets in star ocean games always populated by humans? It'd be cool if they crashed landed on like, Medieval bug people world or something. There's so many ways to make this premise more interesting.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Red Bones posted:

Are the medieval fantasy planets in star ocean games always populated by humans? It'd be cool if they crashed landed on like, Medieval bug people world or something. There's so many ways to make this premise more interesting.

IIRC the natives tend to have pointy ears and/or fur.

e: based on memories of past games

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Red Bones posted:

There always humanoid with some extra bits or anime hair colors. Nothing too exciting.

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

In star ocean 3 one of the galactic races looked exactly like humans but they were all tall, blonde and attractive.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

D_W posted:

There always humanoid with some extra bits or anime hair colors. Nothing too exciting.

This is an aspect of Xenoblade Chronicles X that I'm enjoying - there are more unique-looking aliens. Sure the Prone and Ganglion are slightly dull, but the Ma-non, Nopon and the Insectoid Hivemind who's name I've forgotten are interesting designs and are species that at least function very differently to humans.

The ()sidequest only race)Insectoid guys are a hivemind based entirely on a midichlorian type deal (telekenetically linked by some symbiotic thingies or something) who reproduce by fission using a unique substance as the catalyst - sufficiantly alien to be interesting.

L may well be the final part of a hivemind (but I'm only halfway through the game so no spoilers) due to him being the only one of him I've met at all yet he still uses "we". He has studied earth culture through a bit of the lifehold and has become an Earth Weeaboo. He's at least fun.

The nopon are turnips. Good enough, that's unique, and the Braidbridge in Noctilum implies interesting things about their architecture.

The Ma-non are small lizard people who are so into science that their technology is only close to being matched by the Insectoids, but are starting to enjoy the aspects of earth culture that slowed us down in their eyes - while they are constantly making fun of our lack of scientific intellect they enjoy the ideas of individual clothings and scents and are big fans of earth cuisine. Cultural Tourists :3:

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 14, 2016

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass

Pork Lift posted:

In star ocean 3 one of the galactic races looked exactly like humans but they were all tall, blonde and attractive.

Not exactly like humans, they have ring markings around their necks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

One of my most impossible video game dreams is for Star Ocean 3 to be remade and have the story altered just a bit to where it's actually good. It was actually pretty close to being really awesome, what with the whole defending a medieval-era planet from high tech aliens plot point, but things after that just kept taking turns for the worse. Despite that, it's still probably one of my favorite games.

Nothing can be done to salvage SO4's plot or characters. At least the combat is fun.

• Locked thread