Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Crossposting from the infosec thread:

ratbert90 posted:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SELinux

Arch removed support for SELinux since 3.14 from their official kernel and rely on user supplied packages instead. :allears:

Arch is so loving bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i put lubuntu on an i3 nuc for a plex server and it's been suiting my needs.

that's my linux story hope you enjoyed it.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

i put lubuntu on an i3 nuc for a plex server and it's been suiting my needs.

that's my linux story hope you enjoyed it.

you have a gui on your server?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

ratbert90 posted:

Arch is so loving bad.

My main problem with Arch at the moment (and it's a big one) is that the Arch Build System has builds for debug symbol packages, they just don't publish them. So if you want debug symbols then you have to locally recompile everything, which kinda sucks. It's a big enough deal that I'm considering switching to Fedora now that GNOME 3.20 actually seems to basically work, even in Wayland mode, and I'm not forever hoping that they maybe the next release will finally be the one where they fix poo poo.

As for SELinux, I really don't know what to think about it. It seems rather quaint these days, and I feel like you can just assume that your kernel is compromised the moment an attacker gets local code execution, what with there being so many local root holes. Is this actually the case? I genuinely don't know. My instinct is to say that you should compartmentalize your services using virtualization, because virtio PCI devices have a much narrower attack surface than all the myriad syscalls and api filesystems of a typical modern Linux kernel.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Mr Dog posted:

As for SELinux, I really don't know what to think about it. It seems rather quaint these days, and I feel like you can just assume that your kernel is compromised the moment an attacker gets local code execution, what with there being so many local root holes. Is this actually the case? I genuinely don't know. My instinct is to say that you should compartmentalize your services using virtualization, because virtio PCI devices have a much narrower attack surface than all the myriad syscalls and api filesystems of a typical modern Linux kernel.

Source your quotes

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mr Dog posted:

My main problem with Arch at the moment (and it's a big one) is that the Arch Build System has builds for debug symbol packages, they just don't publish them. So if you want debug symbols then you have to locally recompile everything, which kinda sucks. It's a big enough deal that I'm considering switching to Fedora now that GNOME 3.20 actually seems to basically work, even in Wayland mode, and I'm not forever hoping that they maybe the next release will finally be the one where they fix poo poo.

Kernel memory space is clearly defined and is absolutely NOT compromised immediately when an attacker gets local code execution. :psyduck: SELinux isn't anti hacking for the most part. It's damage mitigation.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
If you get owned in kernel mode then SELinux isn't going to do a loving thing to mitigate damage. If you're confident that not a single syscall or api filesystem running on your machine can be exploited to get unconfined root then sure, SELinux makes for great damage control. If you believe in defence in depth then maybe you'll be a bit more skeptical. And you believe that the actual public CVE and patch will go out before the botnet does, which is probably a safe assumption but who knows these days.

From where I stand Torvalds has a very cavalier attitude towards security bugs, as evidenced by the fact that the grsecurity kernel patch set exists and isn't getting merged any time soon.

So there's your source. Enjoy getting wrecked by the next local privilege escalation CVE I guess?

cadenza
Dec 25, 2006

integrity
so whats the easiest way for me to do installation over a network interface then? i have an ethernet adapter for this thing so i am open to suggestions

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

Arch is so loving bad.

hahahahha

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Mr Dog posted:

I don't know how selinux works

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

b0red posted:

you have a gui on your server?

I wanted it for setup. not so necessary now.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mr Dog posted:

If you get owned in kernel mode then SELinux isn't going to do a loving thing to mitigate damage.
No poo poo? Not all RCE's are done via kernel memory space.
Also SELinux helps quite a bit because a RCE can be prevented via SELinux contexts in a lot of cases (hence mitigation.)

quote:

If you're confident that not a single syscall or api filesystem running on your machine can be exploited to get unconfined root

I'm not; hence why I use SELinux, along with Red Hat and the NSA. It sounds to me like you have a fundamental misunderstanding of how SELinux works/What SELinux is.

quote:

If you believe in defense in depth then maybe you'll be a bit more skeptical.
This is what SELinux is?

quote:

And you believe that the actual public CVE and patch will go out before the botnet does, which is probably a safe assumption but who knows these days.

That's why you have damage mitigation control Jesus Christ stop talking and go open a book, or hell, talk to the selinux devs on freenode.

quote:

From where I stand Torvalds has a very cavalier attitude towards security bugs, as evidenced by the fact that the grsecurity kernel patch set exists and isn't getting merged any time soon.

Grsecurity refuses to work with Linus. "Hey guys let's submit a gigantic blob of code and then bitch on the mailing list when it isn't accepted" is a great way of doing business.

quote:

So there's your source. Enjoy getting wrecked by the next local privilege escalation CVE I guess?

I won't, because I stay up to date and keep SELinux set to enforcing.

Alternatively this:

jre posted:

Mr Dog posted:

I don't know how selinux works

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 13, 2016

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

i got the 2004 o'reilly selinux book for a penny on amazon. doubt its 100% relevant still but gonna thumb through it anyway

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

b0red posted:

i got the 2004 o'reilly selinux book for a penny on amazon. doubt its 100% relevant still but gonna thumb through it anyway

A great first tutorial is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNoVgDqqJmM&hd=1

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

10/10 have watched and taken notes a bit ago

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Endless Mike posted:

I wanted it for setup. not so necessary now.

Edit your /etc/inittab and change that bitch to runlevel 3.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Mr Dog posted:

i dont know how selinux or kernel development works and all my arguments are bizarro cargo culting that even anti-systemd fanatics would find a bit much

ran this post through the translator and it makes much more sense

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

b0red posted:

for a lot of the fundamentals, it is still surprisingly relevant, and it's interesting to thumb through to see how it evolved

keep in mind that the biggest change between then and now is the introduction of targeted policy. This means that servers and services, which come with selinux policies, have selinux policies enforced against them. A normal admin running a shell as root has no restrictions and can do whatever.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

trilljester posted:

Edit your /etc/inittab and change that bitch to runlevel 3.
code:
cat: /etc/inittab: No such file or directory
sysvinit seems like prolonging the inevitable. dehumanize yourself and face to systemd

celeron 300a posted:

for a lot of the fundamentals, it is still surprisingly relevant, and it's interesting to thumb through to see how it evolved

keep in mind that the biggest change between then and now is the introduction of targeted policy. This means that servers and services, which come with selinux policies, have selinux policies enforced against them. A normal admin running a shell as root has no restrictions and can do whatever.

Will probably give it a better read then when I get some time. Cheers

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
I don't know how selinux works internally. can anyone answer how it mitigates a privesc bugs?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

I don't know how selinux works internally. can anyone answer how it mitigates a privesc bugs?

first off, if you can't make the call that contains the bug, you can't exploit kernel bugs.

on the userspace side, even if you manage to get yourself to be uid=0, you still can't do anything that selinux doesn't allow you to do. ok so great you compromised my apache daemon and you now have root inside of apache's selinux context. have fun reading the apache directories and writing to sockets bound to port 80, because those are the only things selinux will permit you to do.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

If you get owned in kernel mode then SELinux isn't going to do a loving thing to mitigate damage. If you're confident that not a single syscall or api filesystem running on your machine can be exploited to get unconfined root then sure, SELinux makes for great damage control.

the real question is, can an attacker make those buggy syscalls or touch esoteric filesystems?

i mean, yeah, if the attacker is a legitimate user and has a login shell in an unconstrained selinux context, selinux isn't going to help you.

if he hacked his way in via a vulnerability in some network service, the attacker is very tightly constrained, and it's extremely unlikely he's going to find a second or third vulnerability to break out of his selinux context.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ok so great you compromised my apache daemon and you now have root inside of apache's selinux context. have fun reading the apache directories and writing to sockets bound to port 80, because those are the only things selinux will permit you to do.

i'm the security-conscious sysadmin who is using mandatory access controls at the kernel level to block tls connections to his web server

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

cadenza posted:

so whats the easiest way for me to do installation over a network interface then? i have an ethernet adapter for this thing so i am open to suggestions

if it was a normal workstation you'd just set up a tftp server on the same subnet, boot to the PROM monitor, set a local IP, and then boot straight from a kernel on the tftp server

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

cadenza posted:

pxe boot is not for the light hearted

your bios needs to support pxe booting or you will need some other way to do a network boot

you need to be able to configure and run an isc dhcp server on the ethernet segment that your laptop will be on, which means you will need a spare computer and put everything on a new ethernet segment or turn off whatever dhcp server is already running.

you will need to add tftp support and either http or nfs support to the spare computer.

you probably want to install wireshark or tcpdump to debug any issues

if you wish to walk down this path, see if there is a distribution with up to date instructions (maybe arch?) or a blog post. I can try to make some fedora 24 specific instructions but not anytime soon.

celeron 300a fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jul 14, 2016

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

celeron 300a posted:

your bios needs to support pxe booting or you will need some other way to do a network boot

you need to be able to configure and run an isc dhcp server on the ethernet segment that your laptop will be on, which means you will need a spare computer and put everything on a new ethernet segment or turn off whatever dhcp server is already running.

you will need to add tftp support and either http or nfs support to the spare computer.

if you wish to walk down this path, see if there is a distribution with up to date instructions (maybe arch?) or a blog post. I can try to make some fedora 24 specific instructions but not anytime soon.

just plug computer 1 directly into computer 2. you have to do all this crap for half the embedded boards out there, its not that big of a hassle by linux standards

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

hobbesmaster posted:

just plug computer 1 directly into computer 2. you have to do all this crap for half the embedded boards out there, its not that big of a hassle by linux standards

:roflolmao:

this can be part of a good solution but remember to turn on ip masquerading if your install target needs internet

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
SERIOUSLY THOUGH

If you are getting squashfs errors, see if you can switch to a different terminal with kernel log output (alt-f2 or ctrl-alt-f2, repeat for other function keys until you see something) to see if you are getting read errors so that you can single out your usb drive (or usb port or usb bus) as being bad. Or it might be able to finger another culprit.

If it is not a drive read error then you could have bad memory, a bad bus, a bad heatsink fan, a bad processor, or a misconfigured (or unconfigured) device that is behaving unusually bad.

If you have a brand new laptop, it might be worth waiting until the next release of your chosen distro in case newer drivers help.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

what is with all the 'not a valid com32r image' errors i've been encountering lately

cadenza
Dec 25, 2006

integrity

celeron 300a posted:

SERIOUSLY THOUGH

If you are getting squashfs errors, see if you can switch to a different terminal with kernel log output (alt-f2 or ctrl-alt-f2, repeat for other function keys until you see something) to see if you are getting read errors so that you can single out your usb drive (or usb port or usb bus) as being bad. Or it might be able to finger another culprit.

If it is not a drive read error then you could have bad memory, a bad bus, a bad heatsink fan, a bad processor, or a misconfigured (or unconfigured) device that is behaving unusually bad.

If you have a brand new laptop, it might be worth waiting until the next release of your chosen distro in case newer drivers help.

thanks for the reply friend

i did a memory test and it was fine. the usb drives all work fine on other machines. they also all work fine if i'm just using them as FAT storage media - if i plug a USB drive into either of the ports on the machine and mount it i have no problems, its literally only when reading the compressed filesystem from installation media that presents problems. the images i've tried (all 4 of them) all have the right md5 checksums too, so its not a problem with my source images.

i would have assumed its just some weird idiosyncrasy of the machine (new thinkpad x1 carbon) but no-one else online seems to be experiencing this, which points towards some hardware problem rather than anything else. are there some magic usb boot settings i might be missing from the bios? that would be nice rather than having to try sending it back to lenovo...

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Captain Foo posted:

what is with all the 'not a valid com32r image' errors i've been encountering lately

insufficient communism. stab your boss

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

celeron 300a posted:

uefi made this even worse

it's all the challenges of pxe booting but with the added joy that often it doesn't work, because uefi firmwares are still buggy as poo poo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

celeron 300a posted:

I haven't encountered a computer in the last 10 years that didn't support pxe boot

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
coincidentally, nobody has used pxe boot in the last 10 years

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

atomicthumbs posted:

pxe boot is used pretty much universally

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

the exception to every "nobody has used _____ in the last 10 years" is always embedded

except irda. nobody has ever seen irda work

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

atomicthumbs posted:

it's a great way for windows computer touchers to image laptops imo. my first part time gig in high school i set one up with the one lady shop, was kinda of cool and definitely makes life easier. had the ability to boot a few linux rescue discs with it as well

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Pxe boot + anaconda kickstart file == rapid deployment of RHEL servers.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ratbert90 posted:

Pxe boot + anaconda kickstart file == rapid deployment of RHEL servers.
same anaconda that does python things on windows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
ok let me rephrase that. nobody who's not a fuckin nerd has used it in the last 10 years