Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

DogonCrook posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4smlwb/meta_discussion_2k16_edition_addeneum/

checkmate goonies. no more "awful" comments of "discontent".

e: and sorry if this was already posted this thread is moving to fast to check

lol Cymelion linked /r/squadron42 in his list of other places to talk about SC

edit: soft doggo and hard doggo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

gurneybro
Aug 14, 2003

gurney would have won

boviscopophobic posted:

There's one aspect that I'm not sure you captured correctly -- it appears that the PayPal refunds were initially denied, and only showed up after StreetRoller was contacted by the LA County investigator on the 11th of July.

You're quite right, that's my mistake. Thanks for mentioning it! I've updated the piece to reflect the initial PayPal denial (which I'm presuming was processed or in process before Freyermuth agreed to a refund in the response to the DA), and that the refund came through on 12 July.

I can't really say for sure whether the PayPal refund showing up one day after the call from the DCBA is notable or not. All of this correspondence seemed to happen/overlap during a fairly narrow period of time. Maybe the DCBA call prompted it in some way, maybe not (I'm inclined to think it was all the DA stuff, personally).

By the way, can anybody (Streetroller?) clarify where the rest of the $3k total comes from? Am I right in saying it's rounded up from the $2,560 sum shown in the documents, or did I just miss some? Wasn't really sure about that when writing this up.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Anything negative is a troll, nothing else

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Would you answer that, while under oath?

loving lol if you're doing all this theorycrafting pro-bono.

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

Muppet Boy posted:

You're quite right, that's my mistake. Thanks for mentioning it! I've updated the piece to reflect the initial PayPal denial (which I'm presuming was processed or in process before Freyermuth agreed to a refund in the response to the DA), and that the refund came through on 12 July.

I can't really say for sure whether the PayPal refund showing up one day after the call from the DCBA is notable or not. All of this correspondence seemed to happen/overlap during a fairly narrow period of time. Maybe the DCBA call prompted it in some way, maybe not (I'm inclined to think it was all the DA stuff, personally).

By the way, can anybody (Streetroller?) clarify where the rest of the $3k total comes from? Am I right in saying it's rounded up from the $2,560 sum shown in the documents, or did I just miss some? Wasn't really sure about that when writing this up.

Hey, what's up. Are you the Author of the Article?

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Daztek posted:

Anything negative is a troll, nothing else

It's really negative if your not in the cult though

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
https://twitter.com/infinityward/status/753343654345994240

Unironically excited about this.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

time to go to a cash advance, get a high interest loan, take out a second mortgage and sell my body for cash to buy $900 spaceships in call of duty.

wait not every game does that?

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

I thought I'd try this semi :effort: thing.

So with Streetroller's refund, and the reaction we've seen on reddit thus far, I'm almost leaning toward the notion that Citizens don't even want the game, anymore. It's no longer about getting the BDSSE – that concept is already in the imaginations of citizens everywhere – no matter how multifoliate and individual that “dream” is. The idea of the dream is what keeps this going, beyond the lack of substance each quarter. Beyond features getting Star Marine'd (I like that term, G0RF) into oblivion. Beyond the lack of transparency in “open development.” (Again, if there's a “secret dev build” they could at least show it off, even if they don't give players direct access to it. You can't have it both ways. What you're seeing in the streaming videos is what you get, and it's a mess after 4 years.)

I'm not even sure if citizens know what they're trying to prove. Belief that some 11th hour miracle will happen is a fallacy. Throwing more money at CIG – who can't even deliver the initial scope of the game based on the original budget on one almost twice as large, and instead have to scale back to a Minimum Viable Product – does not give them the magical 11th hour they need. If anything, that money is simply going to be wasted because there are no roadmaps or design documents (not visible ones, because, y'know, open development – unlike Subnautica and similar games which have their roadmaps visible to current and prospective customers).

“This sets a bad precedent.”

Citizens are worried that the rug will be pulled out from under CIG/RSI if a bunch of people start requesting refunds now, after their ToS (with Streetroller's refund) was shown to have no teeth. It SC is built on the backs of the faithful, then there is nothing to worry about. Unless there is that doubt in the back of their minds that this might in fact be a slowly sinking ship or other negative metaphor. No one who believes will request a refund. Right? Right?!

“CIG/RSI did this to remove a toxic detractor.”

CIG/RSI are not magnanimous. They literally had nowhere else to go, and by refusing the refund would have made it more public than it already was at that point. As it is, this refund put CIG/RSI in the public eye, and now people can attempt to emulate the process to reclaim the money they put into this for the promise of...promises. Hell, even Debbie Harry told us that dreaming is free. At what point are all of the detractors gone? Are we worried about people pulling out funds, or do we want the naysayers out of the community? Again, you can't have both simultaneously.

So what do they want?

Ultimately, this has become an exercise of ideas, rather than things. The promises are still unfulfilled. There's shopping instead of an accurate flight model. MoCap is still going on. Money is still being used for...stuff. Job vacancies are not a scarcity at the company. This is about “being right,” and this refund made the hairline fractures widen a bit. That makes people feel uncomfortable. Citizens need this game to be perpetually in development, because once released, it will fall short of “the dream.” Once they've put so much money, faith, and theorycrafting into this, it could never live up to expectations. And this refund sets precedent for pushing that dream over the wrong side of the horizon.

Dementropy fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 14, 2016

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

DogonCrook posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4smlwb/meta_discussion_2k16_edition_addeneum/

checkmate goonies. no more "awful" comments of "discontent".

e: and sorry if this was already posted this thread is moving to fast to check

HAHA

:notacult:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I'm pretty sure Chris Roberts could stand in front of the burning CIG offices on national TV laughing and screaming "It was a scam all along, I stole all your money, there's no game and never will be, get hosed idiots," and the citizens would respond "Well, no, see, this is a good sign, and I'm going to pledge some more money, because:"

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

I don't post mcuh, but thought I'd share my cattes with the thread, anyway. Bandit says hi while Shadow tries to hide his face.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Those are some real nice cattes, you should post more of them.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/4sq5am/what_people_dont_realize_is_that_this_is/d5baa43

Streetroller enters the hall of fame.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

Propagandist posted:

nnggghhhh the after-lunch coffee is kicking in.

I'll be real with you because you've grown a bit - MoMA, you've seen a few pages ago you can get your money back. Regardless of your belief in the game, of what Ortwin, Roberts, Blesnick, Sandi, whatever they have said. You can actually put forth just a little effort and you could have $4000 of your own loving money back. And, based on what.. gently caress how do I even say this part? Based on what.. I believe that YOU believe, if I am understanding your beliefs correctly, it won't actually realistically affect development of the video game.

Here's a perspective from someone who was heavily invested in this: I have wanted a refund for a while now. I had high hopes for the release of 2.0, which turned out to be a let down, and that hasn't been remedied by any of the updates since. However, with CIG refusing refunds, I wasn't sure if I would get one. It's bad enough when you've put a lot of money into something that you had very high hopes for, and then find out that the product as sold to you is unlikely to be delivered. But trying to fight for your money and then losing would compound that. Especially with the chilling effect of CIG's monitoring of external sites and the threat they can hold over your RSI forum account and game assets, if you try for a refund and are not successful, what other punishments will they heap upon you?

I sold down some of my "high value" jpegs in order to reduce my exposure, so I would at least limit my losses as best I could, then with the latest ToS update I figured that it's now or never, and pushed for a refund. Fortunately, Australia has good consumer protection laws and I believe that the high profile case of the ACCC (FTC equivalent) beating Valve in court setting a precedent that any business selling to Australians must honour Australian Consumer Law helped support my request. That was not the reason that was given for my refund, but I suspect that it was some of the impetus behind CIG's decision to acquiesce without a battle.

I can see why other backers may be hesitant about requesting a refund, because it could actually make their situation worse.

radd fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 14, 2016

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

phosdex posted:

I assume the idiots who stream SC have big patreon links on their profile and feel obligated to stream to get that money. I pretty much always have some stream going on my 2nd monitor and everybody has a patreon link. I'm always curious how much of that actually gets chargebacked/never actually paid because I see a lot of idiots with low viewership but hundreds/month on their patreon page.

Until recently, when you pledged to a patreon they didn't collect any money from you until the start of the next month. So you could absolutely troll people or scam them out of rewards by pledging and then pulling your pledge before the end of the month. Now however they're moving to start charging you for that first month as soon as you pledge, so it will be curious to see if those streamers still show hundreds per month with no viewers.

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
I just got home from where, where the software I work with was finalized in the 90's. I feel qualified to develop Star Citizen.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Also, i skipped a few pages so don't know if this was posted yet:

quote:

ThePilotGigolonew -3 points 5 hours ago

I dont think most people, especially cool normal ones like all the people in this subreddit, would wish death on someone because they refunded their preorder.

Negative 3 points on redditors having rational behavior.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4skvm8/there_is_a_question_about_sc_development_that_has/

"how are games made without a cult army to find the bugs"

This som bitch almost put two and two together get em boys

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ManofManyAliases posted:

I don't have any friends. You guys know this.

Nice puppetmeltdown

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
I can't wait until Gamescon, for CIG to prove Derek Smart, goons, refunders, leavers, the press and their own engineers wrong.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
https://youtu.be/0mfSfekiZeE

I watched this the other day and realized chris roberts is uncle rico from napolean dynamite.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

SomethingJones posted:

I can't wait until Gamescon, for CIG to prove Derek Smart, goons, refunders, leavers, the press and their own engineers wrong.

Honestly, they've set the bar so low in the past that if Chris comes out and shows a new helmet donning animation and confirms he's still not providing any release dates the faithful will cheer and splooge themselves in rapture.

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
These people are so obsessed with how good the game is (currently. They think it's great currently...), that Chris Roberts could wipe his rear end on their clothes and they'd pay him for it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Can someone place people on a dial. Obviously Derek is 11 out of ten.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

DogonCrook posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4skvm8/there_is_a_question_about_sc_development_that_has/

"how are games made without a cult army to find the bugs"

This som bitch almost put two and two together get em boys

I like how the top-rated response has nothing to do with the question, it's just blindly regurgitating the usual articles of faith.

Not a cult.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

Regrettable posted:

Also, i skipped a few pages so don't know if this was posted yet:

Negative 3 points on redditors having rational behavior.

im a filthy troll. Ive posted 100% nice things about SC before and I still get downvoted to hell. Im on a list

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

reddit and cig employees reading this, from the bottom of my heart, thank you. without you, how would I ejaculate? i just don't know

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Colostomy Bag posted:

Can someone place people on a dial. Obviously Derek is 11 out of ten.

I'd like to learn how to go "Full Goon" please tia

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Sunswipe posted:

I like how the top-rated response has nothing to do with the question, it's just blindly regurgitating the usual articles of faith.

Not a cult.
With so many people working on reporting bugs, how is it getting worse?

Well, there you go. Not a cult. All around great guys.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Also Streetroller: I sincerely wish you hadn't provided the origin and details behind your username. That identifying information will be used by Redditors to attempt to track you down and possibly harm you.

I'm not even joking :( Those guys are foaming-at-the-mouth insane.

EDIT: like Derek but with even worse impulse control. And guns.

D1E fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 14, 2016

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Totally not a cult. Whenever I find out that someone doesn't like a videogame I like, I automatically assume they're the sort of people who beat their wives. NOT. A. CULT.

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

D1E posted:

Also Streetroller: I sincerely wish you hadn't provided the origin and details behind your username. That identifying information will be used by Redditors to attempt to track you down and possibly harm you.

I'm not even joking :( Those guys are foaming-at-the-mouth insane.

Anyone google searching streetroller can find me, I'm not exactly hiding away, I started a youtube channel this year.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Streetroller posted:

Anyone google searching streetroller can find me, I'm not exactly hiding away, I started a youtube channel this year.

I absolutely don't want to see anyone suffer because of this (well, no one outside CIG. Ben can eat until his heart explodes for all I care), but it would be hilarious to watch the mental gymnastics shitizens would have to go through to defend one of their number beating up a guy in a wheelchair. The most reassuring thing for you is that they're such idiots, they'd probably get the wrong person.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Barn Folk posted:

It's good to know that because we post on this gay dead comedy forum, we are automatically following Derek Smart, all wife beaters, and all incapable of making our own decisions.

He's clearly completely sane, stable and able to objectively make good, sound, decisions and not weird or culty at all.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Barn Folk posted:

Are we supposed to be beating our wives? I don't think that was in the contract I signed when I pledged allegiance to Derek...
Then again, I didn't read through the TOS, and I keep getting my cheques, so I guess it can't be too important.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

Natron posted:

Are we supposed to be beating our wives? I don't think that was in the contract I signed when I pledged allegiance to Derek...
Then again, I didn't read through the TOS, and I keep getting my cheques, so I guess it can't be too important.

jokes on them, most of us havent even had sex

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Breetai posted:

I'm curious: you seem far calmer and open to criticism (and even a bit of friendly poo poo-talking) than you were back in the BC3000 days - how would you respond to the criticism surrounding your approach to agme design? Would it be different to how you would answer that question then, and do you think you've learned anything?

I got old.

Got married.

Had a kid.

The stupidity ended and autism increased :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Barn Folk posted:

Yeah, love the "When did you stop beating your wife?" argument.

• Locked thread