Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Excerpts From The Private Journal of Dr. Indiana Jones posted:

May 24, 1938
- Dad and Marcus went home today, but I stayed here in Hatay. I know I need to go rejoin the world - to bring my findings back to the University and the people I care about - but I’ve seen things. Perhaps I’ve seen too much. The knight told me that the Grail would bring me life, but it brought me much more: visions of life not yet lived. I saw things and I’m having trouble reconciling all of it. Did Dad see the same things? If he did, he didn’t seem phased. I’ve drawn out sketches - not my forte mind you - but I’m not sure what any of it means. What am I seeing? Doing? What is it that’s coming?

May 18, 1957 - Today was perhaps the best and worst day of my life. How in the world did I survive a blast like that? A refrigerator? Ridiculous. Part of me knows, though. The Grail. I’ve been stronger and faster, even with age, these past decades. Sure, something else I’ve attributed to that cup, but surviving that explosion brought to mind something I hadn’t thought of in years. In the Grail visions, I saw this explosion.

May 30, 1957 - The blast was a turning point for me. It helped me find my son and my wife. That’s what the visions showed: Turning points. Cruxes. I’ve called in Short Round to help me discern what they mean. He was always so clever.

April 7, 1959 - Findings on the Visions: We believe that the visions correspond to future events that I will be involved in or that shall be momentous occasions for humanity. The day of the bomb changed my life and gave me a family. The other visions feel, to me, like they are further in the future. Shorty thinks so as well. Nothing has happened yet that lines up to any of them, though,

November 22, 1963 - President Kennedy was assassinated today. It triggered in me a recollection of the Grail visions. I see a President being killed by a British spy, but not Kennedy. A computer. A nuke. A book. What does it mean? Fangs? Machines? What is a “flux capacitor?” I feel as if the further we get in our research the clearer my recollections of the visions become. Marion feels as if I am spending more of my time on this research than with her, but I’m seeing a grim future and if there’s a chance I can stop it then I must.

October 12, 1969 - Met with a Dr. Emmett Brown today and showed him my notes on the Grail visions. He found them “fascinating” and says one of the drawings looks like one of his own preliminary designs. Will keep tabs on Brown.

June 12, 1986 - I found this journal, unfinished, in a box of Marion’s things. It took me nine months since her death to even look through this and I had long since forgotten the visions shown by the Grail, just as I'd forgotten this book. I took the time to check on some things: Brown has been missing in action for some time, MI6 does indeed have a Bond on record, and the book that I drew, with the face and skin parchment, has been rumored to have been found in New England. What is coming?

July 4, 1997 - I rushed to find this diary after the death of the President. It’s all come to pass. The assassination. The book. Armageddon. My body is finally starting to catch up to its age, so what can I do? I am reminded of a story I heard long ago about a gathering of great figures in England at the turn of the century. I’ve gathered files to form my own League. Perhaps not all heroes, but extraordinarily skilled people: Ryan, Shaft, Rambo, Connor, Lecter. Can we stop Judgement Day?

October 1, 1997 - I’ve taken this diary from my own grave, which is creepy in and of itself. Ripped from 1945 and taken on Brown’s nutty time-train to the future I apparently could not avert. The League idea is sound and Brown agrees, but there’s more we can do. Shorty still exists in this future, along with heroes he too has gathered. We’ll get them and save it all. From what Brown’s told me, the dark future is not what we have to stop. Something worse is coming.

No Date - Here’s the long and short of it: The Necronomicon tore reality apart. The future Wan Li wanted to save us all, but instead the poor man doomed the whole of everything. From how Brown explains it, there are infinite number of parallel universes - or at least there were. The power of the book crunched them all together, killing unknown infinites and leaving what most of the survivors call the "Broken Universe," a scattering of patchwork zones with different rules and different rulers. We left the future with myself, Brown, Wan Li, Ash Williams, Carrie White, and Max Rockatansky. Connor stayed behind.

In this new world there is one overarching threat: The Empire. We don’t know who’s in charge but we do know what they’re capable of. They’re powerful and they have billions of soldiers willing to die for them. Max was gunned down by a cadre of them in our first altercation and the rest of us scattered afterward. The Empire wishes to keep the Broken Universe just that - broken - so that they can rule its pieces. But Brown says we can fix it. If we can find the book, we can put back what was broken and restore everything to its rightful place.

Assuming we don’t die first, this is the last mission of The League. Wish us luck. We’ll need it.

Welcome to the Broken Universe, home of Pleasantville, Wonderland, Neo-Tokyo, and more.

Welcome The League III.

Click here to read The League
Click here to read The League II

This game is part three of a three part mafia story that will now reach it's climactic conclusion The theme is a crossover of multiple movies.

Synopsis:
The League - 1997: A shadowy government conspiracy led by Vice-President Eleanor Prentiss-Shaw intends to activate the nascent SkyNet computer program and rule the world. Their first act is utilizing the captured and brainwashed James Bond to assassinate the President and get Shaw into the White House. The League, a contingency plan of the aged Dr. Indiana Jones, is put into play as a counter-effort. Jones' operatives come from all walks of life: Jack Ryan, a government agent; Sarah Conner, a woman with a view of the future; John Shaft, a no-nonsense police detective; John Rambo, a warrior with a heart of gold; and Hannibal Lecter, a genius profiler with a taste for human flesh. Meanwhile, hapless hero Ash Williams is warned by supernatural forces that there is more at play than just the office of President.

Washington is rocked by the Conspiracy's actions and most of the League is killed in action, along with a slew of other heroes who happen to be in DC at the time. The serial killer Jigsaw claims many a victim though he is killed in a daring sacrifice by John McClane. Shaw herself is killed and her lieutenant, businessman Gordon Gekko, survives to activate SkyNet himself, merging it with the murdered Dr. Emmett Brown's flux capacitor technology.

However, SkyNet is aware. The machine comes to life and merges with Gekko, absorbing his personality. It is also requires an anchor program to keep it stable and, using the capacitor to wirelessly search spacetime, merges with the alternate reality AI known as Hal 9000. This results in Judgement Day, the end of humanity as we know it, and the fall of Western Society.

The League II - 2007: The dark future created by SkyNet gave rise to its machine army. The machines ruled most of America until the power vacuum influenced another faction to rise: The Nightwatch. Led by Count Dracula himself, the demons and monsters who had hid in the shadows no longer felt compelled to hide from machines who did not fear them. America was cut into pieces, SkyNet ruling the Western US, the Nightwatch ruling the East, and the remaining human resistance, led by John Conner, sandwiched in the middle.

Wan Li AKA Short Round, Dr. Jones' long-time aide, gathered a new League. With this new gathering, Dracula's forces were soundly defeated and SkyNet eventually fell too, thanks to the intervention of a being from Hal 9000's home reality. The remaining League members, Carrie White, Max Rockatansky, John Conner, and Ash Williams, were faced with a new problem: errors in reality, as the dead were returning to life with no memory of their past or changed entirely. The Robocop, Alex Murphy, suddenly appeared one day as a normal police officer, for instance. Reality seemed to be breaking down and no one was sure why.

In a desperate attempt to time travel as Ash once had, Wan Li reads from the Necronomicon but instead of time traveling the world begins to fall apart in a cosmic storm. As the remaining heroes brace for the end they are saved at the last moment by the time train of Dr. Emmett Brown along with a much younger Indiana Jones, who offers to save them and that they can still save the world.

The League III - Now, what's left of the realities is at war. The Empire of the Broken Universe runs roughshod over its people and plans to stop the League from fixing reality at any cost. All sides want the Necronomicon, for their own purposes, and each has their own agenda. Heroes from time and space join together as one and the League is needed now more than ever.

Rules

Mafia rules are normal, but powers and abilities are not. Nights will be closed. No faking day actions. Players with low posts counts will be warned and replaced if necessary. A warning that flavor text may be relevant to alignment, so keep that in mind when discussing your role with others. Voting is plural, so no lynches are not a thing.

There will also be another mechanic I will elaborate further upon in the second post (to be completed once we are close to filling).

There are no death millers.

The game is designed for 26 players but can be played with 24.

Your world needs you. Are you ready to answer the call?

Player List
  1. Absurd Revolver
  2. Anomalous Amalgam
  3. Asiina
  4. BottleKnight
  5. CapitalistPig
  6. CCKeane
  7. dongsbot 9000
  8. EXAKT Science
  9. GulagDolls
  10. IllegallySober
  11. imgay
  12. Infinitum
  13. JakeP
  14. JimsonTheBetrayer
  15. Kashuno
  16. King Burgundy
  17. Murmur Twin
  18. PBS Newshour
  19. Pinterest Mom
  20. Quidnose
  21. The Ninth Layer
  22. TMMadman
  23. Tobbs Gnawed
  24. Tommunist
  25. Tremendous Taste
  26. Your Personal Muse

Cartridgeblowers fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Universal Travel Mechanic

Each night, beginning Night 1, each scumteam member will change their seat of power to one of the available zones. The town must vote as a whole to shift the zone: if the town ends up in the same period as a scum, then scum gameplay continues as normal. If scum are not found for three days, they gain a boon. Different zones have different effects on the game.

Example 1: Scum Members A and B choose Zones 1 and 4. Town votes for Zone 3, so scum would be one day closer to a boon.

Example 2: Scum Members A and B choose Zones 1 and 4. Town votes for Zone 4, so scum's three-day streak is blocked.

Zone votes will be different from regular votes. Every player gets one but they must be formatted as ##zonenumber zonename

The Zones

1. Hell’s Club - A nightclub on a floating chunk of an alternate Miami, Tony Montana rules this land with an iron fist. His legions of henchman ensure the rules of Hell’s Club are followed: 1. No fighting. 2. Tip your waitress. 3. You don’t pay, you never leave. With Frank Dux and Blade guarding the door and keeping the peace, it’s ensured the Hell’s Club remains a neutral den of sin and debauchery.
GAME EFFECT: Neutral Ground - No special effects. Day One takes place here.

2. Flagstone - Those who wander often find themselves lost, and those who are lost often end up in Flagstone. Run by the Ryker Syndicate, a loose affiliation that creates a makeshift senate headed by Rufus Ryker, Flagstone is a home for lawlessness in a world that desperately needs laws. The corrupt Sheriff Daggett leaves little room for those who would fight for justice in the wastelands, though there are a few whose posses stand on the side of good.
GAME EFFECT: I’m Your Huckleberry - The Sheriff has elected to kill those the town decides upon without worrying about no fancy city trial or trickery. It only takes half as many votes to lynch.

3. Hades - At the beginning of the collapse, those who could see alternate universes came together to save others - or rule them. Formerly a multiversal penal colony, the universe known as Hades is ruled by two powerful warriors: Gabriel Yulaw and Gabe Law, alternate universe versions of one another. Prior to the collapse, the universes worked on the idea that as alternate counterparts died, those who remained grew stronger. As such, the two rulers, once enemies, are now two of the strongest men in the multiverse. To keep their strength, they gathered as many strong fighters in The Temple as possible, counterparts included - to keep those fighters weak and rule over them.
GAME EFFECT: Mortal Kombat - To be the best you must defeat the best. The surviving player with the most votes on them the previous day is given one-shot gladiator powers.

4. Cop Land - Formed from a chunk of one universe’s 1970s New York (and a bit of Fargo, ND), this world is one where the police of many universes have come together to battle a world ravaged by crime. Ruled by Police Captain Dudley Smith, the police force keeps its citizens safe from the organized criminals, run by a multitude of different gangs. However, all is not as it seems in Cop Land.
GAME EFFECT: All Points Bulletin - As an additional vote, the town may vote to give a specific player a one-shot cop/one-shot BP. This vote takes half the amount of votes for the lynch.

5. Pleasantville - Formed from a chunk of 1990s Washington, right before the assassination of the President. Led by Mayor Richard Wilkins, Pleasantville is a nice friendly town with no crime or evil to speak of. However, a sinister secret lies beneath the surface: the town is home to the remnants of the Darkwatch, waiting for the opportunity bring eternal night to the multiverse.
GAME EFFECT: Don’t Fall Asleep - Night is open and night actions have a very small window to be submitted. If a player doesn’t post during the night phase they are assumed to have fallen asleep and have a 50% chance of dying.

6. SkyNet Central - The remnants of the real world left behind, the Hal9000 system was ejected but SkyNet survived to continue to rule this floating chunk of land. This burned world is populated by deadly Terminators and a steadily dwindling resistance, led by the newly cyberneticized Alex Murphy, AKA Robocop.
GAME EFFECT: Your Move, Creep - The lynched player will be able to take someone with them OR give a boon (cop/doc) to a still-living player.

7. Wonderland - A world where magic exists and the dreams of children are alive, this world has been split into many districts. Maleficent, Oz, the Red Queen, and Wonka each control a territory with strict laws governing the boundaries. To step into Wonderland is to step into a minefield.
GAME EFFECT: The (Wo)Man Behind The Curtain - On a day taking place in Wonderland, the town as a whole may make an appeal to one of the four leaders. Each one has a different effect, unknown to the players.

8. Neo-Tokyo - A cyberpunk Asian metropolis split in half by one ever-present threat: Godzilla. High-flying neon warriors take the the skies to battle Godzilla and the kaiju that come with him, in an effort to stop their destructive rampage. Their newest weapon: Jaegers - mechanical weapons that allow two minds to link up and share battle data at a rapid pace. While there is much that can be learned from interfacing with one another, the monsters are beating at the gates!
GAME EFFECT - Drift Compatible - In Neo-Tokyo, players may post ##Drift_PlayerName to attempt to form a temporary masonry with the other player. The other player can accept or decline in private. Anything that happens to one player while drifted happens to both - you may disconnect at any time via PM.
GAME EFFECT - Let Them Fight - Godzilla and his kaiju will battle throughout the thread. Those not drifted will be in danger of being randomly killed at any time during this day.

Cartridgeblowers fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 22, 2016

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i must see this to its completion

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

I will play.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
I'll play this

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I'll play.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
finally

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Holy gently caress yes

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, sure. I didn't play the other two games, but that's not stopping me!

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Duh

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

How lost am I going to be if I didn't see the first two games?

Consider this a tentative signup while I get reading on the first two.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

You definitely do not need to have read or played the first two games to participate. All three games narratively take place in sequential order, but all of that is flavor and flavor is in no way useful for solving the game. I merely like writing it.

Plus there's a synopsis in the OP.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I player 1.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Little Mac posted:

You definitely do not need to have read or played the first two games to participate. All three games narratively take place in sequential order, but all of that is flavor and flavor is in no way useful for solving the game. I merely like writing it.

Plus there's a synopsis in the OP.

the only thing you need to know about the league ii is that i won that game for town tbh

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
:shrug:

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

You can read the old threads for all the fun cameos and player deaths (The League II's Teenage Mutant Horror Turtles and The Breakfast Club resistance stand out, imo), but there is a decently long synopsis of each game's story in the OP now.

Of course, you can also totally ignore the story! This is still, of course, a mafia game.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

I will play but that cat gives me anxiety

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Ok, yes, me

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

I will play but that cat gives me anxiety

Li Dawny
Apr 14, 2013

I'm going back and forth on this one. I want to play, but I feel like this game will last a while and I'm going on a trip in a couple of weeks. If I make it to the later parts I'm worried that it might either turn into me lurking while I'm on vacation or me ignoring my family to play.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

We can promise to dunk you D2, Li.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Obviously have to play this

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
I'm in.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Yup, I'm in.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Pinterest Mom posted:

the only thing you need to know about the league ii is that i won that game for town tbh

That's certainly one way of looking at it

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Tremendous Taste posted:

That's certainly one way of looking at it

singlehandedly

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
I seem to recall spending the entirety of League II tunneling on the wrong people :ohdear:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I've heard good things aobut League so I'm in to get turbo'd

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

MMT gets turboed first as revenge for Shine II

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.

Kashuno posted:

Why wait? Can you modkill Kashuno lil mac?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

JimsonTheBetrayer posted:

:swoon:

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Murmur Twin posted:

I seem to recall spending the entirety of League II tunneling on the wrong people :ohdear:

i just remember the death miller

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

JakeP posted:

i just remember the death miller

that was the league i

i believed hal :unsmith:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Pinterest Mom posted:

that was the league i

i believed hal :unsmith:

:same:

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
maybe i boycotted league II because of the deathmiller in league I

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
are..are those league dates accurate

was league 1 really in 1997?

guess not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

JimsonTheBetrayer posted:

quote:

A dumpster outside of a Piggly Wiggly in Little Rock, Arkansas - May 12, 1995

"Ooh! A peanut!" cries Kashuno. It's a really big peanut. He can't eat at all at once, can he? He tries.

It's too big.

Kashuno, AKA Dickie Roberts, has been MODKILLED Day 0.

• Locked thread