Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

They're bringing that westward? I honestly didn't expect that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it should be noted that while final fantasy tactics advance and A2 are both excellent games, story-wise they're very different from XII and the original final fantasy tactics

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tactics Advance also gave a bunch of people the idea that Ivalice is in a storybook, when in actuality the storybook turned Marche's town into a facsimile of Ivalice and didn't actually take him and the town to the "real" Ivalice. And then Tactics A2 had Luso actually go to FFT/XII Ivalice by going through a magic book and muddied the waters even more.

And yes I know this is super :goonsay:

Anyway they're both good games anyway and a nice way to get a mobile tactics-RPG fix. More lighthearted than other Ivalice-related games, but that's not a bad thing. And you get to play as moogles all you want!

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jul 14, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Harrow posted:

Tactics Advance also gave a bunch of people the idea that Ivalice is in a storybook, when in actuality the storybook turned Marche's town into a facsimile of Ivalice and didn't actually take him and the town to the "real" Ivalice. And then Tactics A2 had Luso actually go to FFT/XII Ivalice by going through a magic book and muddied the waters even more.

And yes I know this is super :goonsay:

Anyway they're both good games anyway and a nice way to get a mobile tactics-RPG fix. More lighthearted than other Ivalice-related games, but that's not a bad thing. And you get to play as moogles all you want!

You forgot. St. Ivalice itself is "Ivalice" the world form the rest of the series, but that's what time has done to it. Almost all magic has died (basically existing as a spark in someone like Mewt) and the other races and monsters have all died. The book in FFTA is a memory of Ivalice as it was.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Onmi posted:

You forgot. St. Ivalice itself is "Ivalice" the world form the rest of the series, but that's what time has done to it. Almost all magic has died (basically existing as a spark in someone like Mewt) and the other races and monsters have all died. The book in FFTA is a memory of Ivalice as it was.

I did forget, you're right!

So that makes FFTA the last game in the timeline, then. I wonder how long after FFT it is.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Onmi posted:

wait. so then marche is luso's teacher in FFTA2, so luso also comes from the "real" ivalice right?

but then is transported through a magical book to ivalice

is he just a time traveler or something?

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jul 14, 2016

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

ninjewtsu posted:

wait. so then marche is luso's teacher in FFTA2, so luso also comes from the "real" ivalice right?

but then is transported through a magical book to ivalice

is he just a time traveler or something?

Correct.

Thinking about it, the disappearance of the different races probably had something to do with the Occuria seeing as they weren't actually dealt with ever.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Actually, wait, is that ever confirmed? I'm digging around the FF wiki to see if there's any reference to St. Ivalice actually being in Ivalice.

Also I think it's Mewt who is Luso's teacher, not Marche. Or, rather, he's the librarian in Luso's hometown.

Black Mage Knight posted:

Correct.

Thinking about it, the disappearance of the different races probably had something to do with the Occuria seeing as they weren't actually dealt with ever.

I'll spoiler this for the sake of anyone who hasn't played FFXII who might be reading right now: It's possible the Occuria were keeping the moogles, bangaa, etc. around for some reason, and that without the Occuria's interference--apparently destroying the Sun-Cryst removed their ability to influence things anymore--they went extinct (moogles) or turned into beastfolk. The other possibility is that they required the existence of magick and the Mist to be how they are, and the Occuria losing their influence somehow causes magick to start slowly fading.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 14, 2016

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

"mr. blair" is luso's teacher and "mr. randall" is the librarian.

mewt's last name is randall so he's for sure the librarian. i guess blair isn't marche's last name though, so no idea if he's anyone actually important

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Luso is Gilgamesh obviously

I am Setsuna comes out soon, is it any good? I know the Japanese version has been out for some time.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

Harrow posted:

Actually, wait, is that ever confirmed? I'm digging around the FF wiki to see if there's any reference to St. Ivalice actually being in Ivalice.

Also I think it's Mewt who is Luso's teacher, not Marche. Or, rather, he's the librarian in Luso's hometown.

I'll spoiler this for the sake of anyone who hasn't played FFXII who might be reading right now: It's possible the Occuria were keeping the moogles, bangaa, etc. around for some reason, and that without the Occuria's interference--apparently destroying the Sun-Cryst removed their ability to influence things anymore--they went extinct (moogles) or turned into beastfolk. The other possibility is that they required the existence of magick and the Mist to be how they are, and the Occuria losing their influence somehow causes magick to start slowly fading.

More FFXII spoilers and maybe a Vagrant Story spoiler?: The destroying of the Sun-Cryst removed their ability to control people by way of giving them access to the shards. So the Occuria were still around, and still were powerful beings, just they couldn't offer people power so that they could rule in the background. Also magic is still around as of FFT, and it was sealed away in Vagrant Story if I remember correctly. So it never faded away.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Black Mage Knight posted:

More FFXII spoilers and maybe a Vagrant Story spoiler?: The destroying of the Sun-Cryst removed their ability to control people by way of giving them access to the shards. So the Occuria were still around, and still were powerful beings, just they couldn't offer people power so that they could rule in the background. Also magic is still around as of FFT, and it was sealed away in Vagrant Story if I remember correctly. So it never faded away.

I figured it was more that ambient magic faded. People could still do it, but it became less and less prevalent. For example, the lack of airships and teleport crystals in FFT and the subtler, darker magic in Vagrant Story (with the Dark being the ultimate sealed-away power). If I'm not mistaken, there's also no reference to Mist in either Tactics or Vagrant Story. It faded, but never really completely went away.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Vagrant Story's Dark is related to the Espers/Lucavi. After all, the Rood Inverse/Blood-Sin appears when you summon an Esper in FFXII.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 14, 2016

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Luso is Gilgamesh obviously

Except instead of collecting swords from his travels he collects the world's dumbest belts.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

Harrow posted:

I figured it was more that ambient magic faded. People could still do it, but it became less and less prevalent. For example, the lack of airships and teleport crystals in FFT and the subtler, darker magic in Vagrant Story (with the Dark being the ultimate sealed-away power). If I'm not mistaken, there's also no reference to Mist in either Tactics or Vagrant Story. It faded, but never really completely went away.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Vagrant Story's Dark is related to the Espers/Lucavi. After all, the Rood Inverse/Blood-Sin appears when you summon an Esper in FFXII.

Well the Geomancer ability Mist Storm in FFTA2 does Dark damage so it is possible that the Dark is just Mist by a different name, especially when considering that the Espers/Lucavi were "banished to walk the mist".

Really, all of this story talk makes me wish for a new FFT that is set in a semi post-apocalyptic future of modern Ivalice after something happens to cause magic and whatnot to explosively return. I could have just stopped at 'new FFT', but hey.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sarah sounds about 70 years old

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

Final fantasy VIII on steam - which controllers work out of the box? Xbox 360 and PS4?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I remember this looking cool when it was originally announced but I assumed it was gonna be bad because it's on a phone. I will check it out though

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

My biggest hope with this is that it means that Global Record Keeper will get the Mobius collab event.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Enough about the dumb FFXII talk, this looks like garbage. People in this thread who will inevitably play it though, please come back and tell us of your impressions of the game.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
In other news, Nintendo announced a mini NES for US & EU for this fall that retails for $60. It includes 30 games, including Final Fantasy 1!

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Is this that game that nerds were complaining about because the main guy was showing too much skin? And it looks like you get two annoying sidekicks for the price of one.

Eighties ZomCom fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 14, 2016

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rirse posted:

In other news, Nintendo announced a mini NES for US & EU for this fall that retails for $60. It includes 30 games, including Final Fantasy 1!

You get save states so the ice cavern is at least slightly less horrible.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Chrono Trigger was a creative work from a team who is not going to get back together to make another game and frankly probably wouldn't be able to make a CT-caliber game if they did. Who exactly do you want to make a Chrono Trigger sequel and what would it involved?

I don't give a poo poo, I just want them to try.

I'm fine with how Chrono Cross turned out. If nothing else it's unique as hell and has an amazing soundtrack.

It's kind of like my opinion on gun control— I don't know for certain if it'll work, I just want something to be done.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If you don't want the original team to make a new game, why would you want a game with Chrono in the title to exist at all.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

In Training posted:

If you don't want the original team to make a new game, why would you want a game with Chrono in the title to exist at all.

The world of the game. To further explore the lore. To play another game "like" the Chrono games (Styles can be followed, believe it or not! That's how art movements happen!). Feel free to ask further questions about what each of these answers mean.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Unholy Ghost posted:

The world of the game. To further explore the lore. To play another game "like" the Chrono games (Styles can be followed, believe it or not! That's how art movements happen!). Feel free to ask further questions about what each of these answers mean.

Chrono Trigger's lore is intentionally simple and self-contained. Anything new would amount to fanfiction, which isn't the worst thing in the world but also can be terribly crappy.

Another game 'like' Chrono Trigger can mean a lot. not even Chrono Trigger's sequel was like Chrono Trigger and games like Radiant Historia have followed up on the time/dimension travel idea.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Rich Lore of Chrono Trigger

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The lore of chrono certainly triggers me

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
Sneer all you want, it's worth a wiki and Chrono Cross expanded things exponentially.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There's a wiki for Vincent's piss stain in Catherine

The LORE in that Piss stain is substantial enough for a whole other game

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I am Setsuna seems like it'll be a cool Chrono Trigger sequel.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Sneer all you want, it's worth a wiki and Chrono Cross expanded things exponentially.

Literally everything has a wiki and Chrono Cross's expansions are widely disliked an exactly and an example of why that is a bad idea.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

No thanks.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Literally everything has a wiki and Chrono Cross's expansions are widely disliked an exactly and an example of why that is a bad idea.

Cool opinion. But have you considered that other people disagree?

I could have said all the same things that you have before Final Fantasy X-2 came out, and that turned out to be a generally well-received game. One of the most distinct differences between video games and other forms of media is the ability of sequels to always have the potential to be great.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
X-2 was well received by critics, not its actual audience. Chrono Cross very much had a similar release as well, but I think Chrono Cross is even more poorly regarded by fans of Chrono Trigger than X-2 is by fans of X and X-2 also got vindicated over time as well, unlike Chrono Cross which still sees mostly negative reception.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also saying sequels have more potential to be great in video games moreso than others is silly. Sequels always have potential to be great in any format, video game ones are more likely to be better because more often than not they improve upon what was set by the former from a gameplay perspective, but story is as much a part of an RPG as its gameplay is and in that sense you can't really say a lot of JRPG sequels actually deliver more there, realistically.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Actually Chrono Cross is good and powerful and a neat end cap on the idea of "What if we took CT's time travel story a little too far?" and everything's hosed up because the Hero's hosed up time to save the day.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Baal posted:

X-2 was well received by critics, not its actual audience. Chrono Cross very much had a similar release as well, but I think Chrono Cross is even more poorly regarded by fans of Chrono Trigger than X-2 is by fans of X and X-2 also got vindicated over time as well, unlike Chrono Cross which still sees mostly negative reception.
people say poo poo like this all the time even though Chrono Cross and Final Fantasy X-2 were both commercially and critically well received. Like, yeah if you tell me you hated it on release I'll believe you, different strokes etc. but Chrono Cross really didn't get a lot of backlash until it's connection to Chrono Trigger became well known.

Edit: though I'll also say that some of the backlash is from those who don't think the game has aged very well for it's time, to be fair

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 14, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I dig Chrono Cross but I haven't played it in a long while. Its timeline fuckery is convoluted as hell but I'm kind of okay with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
gently caress all that make a new chocobo dungeon game