Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I posted in the general Nintendo thread but as a new player to the series, how out of my depth am I going to be? The baffling complexity is exactly why I ordered it

The common refrain is that it'll take you like 10 hours before you can even decide if you like the game or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I posted in the general Nintendo thread but as a new player to the series, how out of my depth am I going to be? The baffling complexity is exactly why I ordered it

The games are pretty good about easing you into things, it will be awhile before you start using phone apps or kiranico before every hunt. Just try all the weapons and find one or more that you enjoy and then use them to smash and wear monsters.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Got my copy today! The online multiplayer is up and running, but the DLC menu just brings up an error message and sends you back (I'm in the U.K).

So far I think the game has taken a major step back in terms of tutorial. MH4 had the awesome battle on the ship - This game is back to the PSP era levels of "read thirty pages of dialogue boxes followed by ten gathering missions before you see a monster", or at least it is in the single player mode. It has started to open up a bit now I've hit level 2 quests though.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Also, if other goons are like me, we get big boners by helping new/low rank players by just completely obliterating the low level monsters. That also gives you a good in to ask questions like, "How did you just do that?" and "What were you doing at that rock?"

On a separate note, I absolutely love how Gaijin Hunter makes every weapon seem like the absolutely most incredible weapon in the game. I watched the hammer video (Hammer Bro for Life since Unite) and was like, yes, I have devoted my life to the right weapon. But then I watched the Sword and Shield video and now I want to make that my back up... At least until I watch the charge blade vid...

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Someone feel free to correct me on this.

4th gen made it weird apparently, in every other gen the way it used to work was that chance for a third item rolled over and over and you would get rewards until the roll "failed", I had edited the OP when someone pointed it out already but I guess there's another line somewhere I missed.

I've always captured religiously in every game and hadn't thought about it much in 4th gen since the games are so much easier in general, never felt the need to see if they had changed the format at all (the only thing that had stood out is they removed the pre-tranq mechanic from 3rd gen which wasn't much of an issue)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I only just picked up my first Monster Hunter game a few days ago (MH4U) and I was surprised at how good the game is with tutorials, help screens and such. For everything else, this thread has been super nice (and I've asked a million questions already!)

The hardest part for me so far has been controlling the camera, and that's probably the biggest criticism I have of the game(s). :goleft:

As for the combat, I think it shares a lot of similarities with Dark Souls in that it's very "methodical" (i.e. no button mashing) but the biggest difference between the two games is that Dark Souls have a lot more invincibility frames.. and a lock-on. Dodging in this game seems to be a lot less reaction (seeing an incoming move, i-framing through it) and a lot more positioning. Basically, you gotta really learn their movesets.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Is there a translated skill list out there yet? Alternatively, what skills do people like for Hammer?

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
You can lock on to large monsters by pressing their icon on the touch screen. I think that's the only way to do it. Center your camera on them by pressing L.

It's massively convenient, especially when a Nargacuga or something jumps to one of your blind spots.

E: V Oh! You mean like a circle-strafe. Sorry.

Electric Lady fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 14, 2016

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I find a lot of Dark Souls people feel MH is very unresponsive on the controls. I don't get it myself until I find out it's people who play 60 fps dark souls trying to adapt to 30 fps MH controls. Honestly the whole ten hours thing is usually people just grappling with the controls.

The game is really not super complex in terms of depth. There's just a lot of muscle memory to build especially if you switch weapons and now I guess styles.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Electric Lady posted:

You can lock on to large monsters by pressing their icon on the touch screen. I think that's the only way to do it. Center your camera on them by pressing L.

It's massively convenient, especially when a Nargacuga or something jumps to one of your blind spots.

It's just centering the camera though, definitely not a lock on. A lock on kinda... locks on you know.

Being able to center the camera on the monsters is still massively convenient though, and I can't imagine playing without it.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
I've realized that adapting to adept style is really rough for me because I am already dodging in a way that prevents me from getting hit in the first place, often by reflex.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Having a hard lock on would be such a nightmare once you understand monster body parts.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rascyc posted:

I find a lot of Dark Souls people feel MH is very unresponsive on the controls. I don't get it myself until I find out it's people who play 60 fps dark souls trying to adapt to 30 fps MH controls.

I'm a 60 fps DS player and I don't think the controls are unresponsive in MH4U/MHGen so I don't know. The animation lag on the other hand is enormous compared to Dark Souls, but that's a design decision and not really unresponsiveness. Take drinking a potion for instance... not only do you have to stop and chug it, but your character has to do a lil' flex too.. then take out their weapon... and now you can start running again. Same with attacks, your follow-through is usually pretty massive and you can't just attack and then instantly dodge. If you come from Dark Souls where you used a sword+shield and then try the Sword&Shield weapon.. you're gonna have a bad time probably. The Hammer on the other hand (as I was suggested) feels much more like a Dark Souls two-handed hammer.

Rascyc posted:

Having a hard lock on would be such a nightmare once you understand monster body parts.

That and the fact that the AI really isn't designed around it. I don't think you could design a lock-on for Monster Hunter that wouldn't freak out unless you also redesigned the monsters.

scaterry posted:

I've realized that adapting to adept style is really rough for me because I am already dodging in a way that prevents me from getting hit in the first place, often by reflex.

Which is why it's perfect for me, since last-minute dodging is exactly what you do in Dark Souls instead of actually dodging away :haw:

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
You also have to push past the usual gripes with the game, such as:

"Why the gently caress does my guy flex every time he takes a drink?"
"Why the gently caress does this giant loving sword take so long to swing?"
"Why the gently caress do you have to trap a monster AND tranquilize it to kill it?"
"Why the gently caress can't I just take more of this monster's scales? HE'S JUST LAYING THERE DEAD?"
"Why the gently caress can't I take this fucker's heart/gem/scale/plate? HE'S JUST LAYING THERE DEAD?"

The biggest thing I think is important to remember about this game is that it is very much a GAME in that there are rules and systems at play that are not connected to a "reality". The potion flexing is a game mechanic that serves to make you use strategy and risk/reward to figure out when to drink. The sword takes so long to swing for the same reason. Sure, you could maybe stop swinging that giant sword in the middle of an attack in the real world, but in this game, the moves are deliberate. All of the strange design decisions weren't made arbitrarily; they were made to fit the core concept of the game. This is not a game for folks who want to jump in and do cool rear end combos and poo poo like God of War. You have to play by their rules.

That's why the people who get hooked tend to be Day 1 purchasers whenever a new one comes out. They've earned their skills through time and effort and can't wait to try whatever new poo poo they introduce. They have not yet introduced anything new that ruins the game... It only has been getting better.

1337kutkufan6969 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 14, 2016

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
except for underwater combat

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Actually, I'm now looking into capturing vs killing. So you get three guaranteed carves from killing. Versus two guaranteed rewards from capturing and a chance for a third (22/32 chance).

So, let's say you have a 2% chance of a item from carving but 3% from capturing. Your odds of getting at least one in both cases is:

Carving: 1 - .98^3 = 5.88%
Capping: 1 - .97^2.6875 = 7.86%

So if there's a 1% better chance of a rare item then it's better to cap. Of course, some monsters get four carve chances but I think it's still better to cap even in that case. Then there's things like armor skills to consider, that affect the number of drops you get from carves and captures.

Also, this is the math to get at least one. You can of course get more than one plate per hunt. That's where the math gets more complicated.

Someone feel free to correct me on this.

I find this stuff super interesting and am glad you are posting it, and that math looks accurate as far as I can tell. It's a bit of a simplification, but would it be correct to say that, at low percentage levels (say, sub 5%) whichever has a higher percent on its loot table even by one is the correct option, with a tie going to carve, assuming no armor skills? And also holy poo poo, thank you for simplifying down the capture odds to 1-x^2.6875, I feel stupid for not thinking about that (but am awful at statistics.)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

The biggest thing I think is important to remember about this game is that it is very much a GAME in that there are rules and systems at play that are not connected to a "reality".

Which is also a thing I feel it has it common with Dark Souls.

"Why the gently caress can't I drink a potion while running?"
"Why the gently caress do you have to do that flourish after the swing?"
"Why the gently caress can't I just climb this ledge?"

They're very deliberately and tightly tuned games, and in a lot of the same ways. If you can play by the rules of one, you're probably gonna have a good time with the other (I know I am!) Like, it never felt weird for me that I have to stop and run for cover just to chug a potion :cheeky:

Rascyc posted:

except for underwater combat

Has any game done underwater combat that isn't bad?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Your Computer posted:

I only just picked up my first Monster Hunter game a few days ago (MH4U) and I was surprised at how good the game is with tutorials, help screens and such.

"You know what I do with icons? I touch those dang icons."

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Rascyc posted:

When I see Dark Souls players whine about there not being a hard lock on, I always frown a little because locking on to bosses is often a poor strategy that puts you at risk and limits your available tactics.

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

You also have to push past the usual gripes with the game, such as:

"Why the gently caress does my guy flex every time he takes a drink?"

"Why the gently caress can't I just take more of this monster's scales? HE'S JUST LAYING THERE DEAD?"
"Why the gently caress can't I take this fucker's heart/gem/scale/plate? HE'S JUST LAYING THERE DEAD?"

The flexing is dumb

As for the last two, I saw a reddit? post somewhere where a poster laid out a big lore-justifiable reason for why you get so few body parts as reward. You kill the monster, sure, but you're just a working class hunter with a contract, which the bourgeois guild facilitates, prepares the base camp and provides token supplies, goes to admittedly great risk to save you from death when you get knocked out, etc. so of course they're going to claim the corpses, process them, and give you your pittance as wage.

Hunters of the world unite, you have nothing to lose but your chains!

Bummey fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 14, 2016

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Nechronic posted:

"You know what I do with icons? I touch those dang icons."

I'm sure there are lots of MH puritans out there but I LOVE quick inventory buttons on the touch screen.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Your Computer posted:

Which is also a thing I feel it has it common with Dark Souls.

"Why the gently caress can't I drink a potion while running?"
"Why the gently caress do you have to do that flourish after the swing?"
"Why the gently caress can't I just climb this ledge?"

They're very deliberately and tightly tuned games, and in a lot of the same ways. If you can play by the rules of one, you're probably gonna have a good time with the other (I know I am!) Like, it never felt weird for me that I have to stop and run for cover just to chug a potion :cheeky:

Has any game done underwater combat that isn't bad?
metroid

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Monster Hunter badges are in the badge arcade, if you're the type of person who cares about that sort of thing. (i am and they're nice)

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Monster Hunter badges are in the badge arcade, if you're the type of person who cares about that sort of thing. (i am and they're nice)

poo poo. Sounds like I'm giving the rabbit some money tonight. What are the badges? Cats?

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Bummey posted:

The flexing is dumb

How else is my hunter supposed to show how burly they are though?

What's burlier than flexing at a dragon?

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
ugh, I barely got into MH4U after having about 200 hours in 3U and now I have to decide if I want to play it more or drop money on this one

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

CuddlyZombie posted:

I find this stuff super interesting and am glad you are posting it, and that math looks accurate as far as I can tell. It's a bit of a simplification, but would it be correct to say that, at low percentage levels (say, sub 5%) whichever has a higher percent on its loot table even by one is the correct option, with a tie going to carve, assuming no armor skills? And also holy poo poo, thank you for simplifying down the capture odds to 1-x^2.6875, I feel stupid for not thinking about that (but am awful at statistics.)

Far as I can tell, the odds are near identical when it's 9% for carving compared to 10% for capping. 10% and above carving wins out. But by then the item isn't really considered "rare" anymore.

Oh and Emalde, when you're referring to the game rolling numerous times for a chance at another item, I think you are referring to the reward rows, not the capture rewards, which are listed in the box underneath. Way it works in 4U is you in the very top row you always get four items. Then you have a 60% chance to get a fifth item. The game will keep rolling that 60% chance until either you miss or all the spots in the row are filled. The second row (row B) works the same way except you're only guaranteed two items before the game starts rolling. Row A is usually parts from the monster you were hunting, so that's where things like gems will show up. While row B is usually mostly garbage stuff like bones, but can also have useful stuff like charms. Plus, I think in multi monster quests it might have monster parts as well? If you load up a quest in Kiranico, you can see the probabilities of what items show up in columns A or B.

The Fate skills increase your odds for getting another item in these reward screens. +10 in the skill gives you Good Luck, which increases the chances of rolling another item to 70% from 60%. +15 is Great Luck which makes it 80%.

https://m.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/2yvwqs/capturing_when_and_why_you_should_do_it/

I figured out the math for carving (copied someone else's math) by reading the above Reddit thread. Though the guys initial math was wrong about probabilities, the comments following it clear things up. Sorry for the long winded post btw haha.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

After loving around in the demo my favorites by a long way are aerial swaxe, aerial sns, and bushido hammer.

Now I just need to decide which to use first :arghfist::unsmith:

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

deadly_pudding posted:

poo poo. Sounds like I'm giving the rabbit some money tonight. What are the badges? Cats?

Stuff from last time, monster icons, monster mega badges, lots of little things.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Re: potion flexing, not only is it a mechanic (the drinking part of the animation would just be made longer with no flex), it's funny. Like, Monster Hunter isn't just a game of badasses fighting huge dragons, it's a game where you do that while your purple bipedal cat named Ryu is waving pompoms around, your character is wielding a giant fish, and your boss tells you about her crush on said huge dragon.

The flex is just another way your stupid brute of a hunter - who also pats their belly after eating a whole meat lump and cheers after successfully preparing said meat - establishes the world's tone. The gameplay in MH is what makes you, the player, feel like a badass, but the world itself makes you laugh and takes the sting out when you fail.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Countblanc posted:

Re: potion flexing, not only is it a mechanic (the drinking part of the animation would just be made longer with no flex), it's funny. Like, Monster Hunter isn't just a game of badasses fighting huge dragons, it's a game where you do that while your purple bipedal cat named Ryu is waving pompoms around, your character is wielding a giant fish, and your boss tells you about her crush on said huge dragon.

The flex is just another way your stupid brute of a hunter - who also pats their belly after eating a whole meat lump and cheers after successfully preparing said meat - establishes the world's tone. The gameplay in MH is what makes you, the player, feel like a badass, but the world itself makes you laugh and takes the sting out when you fail.

MH has so much personality it could lend some to other hunting games and still come out ahead.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I played a whole bunch of the Gen demo online last night, trying out a bunch of different things like the Adept Hunting Horn (a blast) and the Adept Great Sword (a blast) and the Adept HBG (a blast even if I suck at it) and the Aerial Dual Swords (difficult to use since I have to learn combos, but also, a blast) and one more day is just way too long. I hope they deliver this baby early tomorrow. Counting on you, Amazon.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

http://gatheringhallstudios.com/2016/07/mhgen-database-v1-0-for-android-is-now-released/

MHGen Database is out for android, it's a handy app you can look at when you're at work tomorrow hoping your amazon package gets delivered

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

In the same vein as above, Kiranico just got its website updated with all the data from the English version of MHGen.

http://mhgen.kiranico.com/

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Captain Flame Guy posted:

In the same vein as above, Kiranico just got its website updated with all the data from the English version of MHGen.

http://mhgen.kiranico.com/

Yessss. Now I can read the quests, haha. It seems like there are a lot more non-key quests per rank now. I appreciate that opportunity for variety.

edit: YOOOO the weapons are arranged into trees now.

deadly_pudding fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 14, 2016

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

DoubleDonut posted:

ugh, I barely got into MH4U after having about 200 hours in 3U and now I have to decide if I want to play it more or drop money on this one

4U will still be around whenever you want to do some singleplayer at your own pace, getting generations now means you get to do cool multi while it's new and fresh for everyone

(this is my excuse for buying gen tomorrow despite only sinking 15-20 hours into 4U)

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Your Computer posted:

So uh, I just fought Yian Garuga for the first time. :goleft: I assume everyone had a good laugh at the board meeting where he was being designed.

I just think of him as an emo Kut-ku

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

god drat amazon hasn't sent shipping info yet

I'm gonna go nuts

anyone with the game: whats the amount of time/missions it takes to get to the online guildhall?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Has anyone else not gotten a shipping notification from Amazon for their preorders? I'm starting to get nervous.

Meanwhile, I gave SA a try in the demo. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet; it feels like it should be swinging faster than I'm swinging it. Like, the wind-ups are huge. Or, at least they feel huge. Maybe I'm just too used to CB.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

what's the time between grabbig your first palico and grabbing your first free gather quests? if there's one thing to do off the bat, it's to get the most tedious of the gathering out of the way :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Wrist Watch posted:

Basically, there's a heat gauge now. It rises every time you shell and at the level of your gauge determines whether you're getting full damage out of your stabs. The gauge goes down slowly over time, as well as every time you stab. Wyvern fire freezes the gauge in place for a couple minutes. It's intended to encourage people to mix up shelling and stabbing and not rely on one or the other. In practice, even when you're at max heat you're still doing a bit less damage than you otherwise would have done in 4U. It's not gamebreakingly bad, but it's a senseless nerf to an already criminally underplayed weapon.

This is my issue with it, it's a change nobody wanted to a weapon that didn't need more mechanics. And it represents what I think is a bad design philosophy, taking a synergy that naturally emerged (alternating stabs and shells for good damage) and turning it into a tangible mechanic, while discouraging alternative playstyles.

• Locked thread