Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

wiegieman posted:

The one change necessary to make vortexes viable is to let you determine the rough direction they travel in. Either click and drag, or wind of death style.

Vortexes do tend to travel in the opposite direction of your caster. They use the same mechanics as winds of death. WoD just has a lower chance to veer left/right, and a higher speed. Regular vortexes are never gonna be reliable, but you can at least stack the odds in your favor a little bit knowing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Most of the beastmen have different abilities that boost different combat stats. One of these mentioned is a centigor trait that allows them to ignore fatigue so long as they have high leadership. I wonder if that same condition applies to the other abilities like Primal Fury? It could be interesting if the beastmen's combat performance is tied to their leadership

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Glad we get beastmen but why the gently caress aren't the releasing brettonia too? It's pretty much there already

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Glad we get beastmen but why the gently caress aren't the releasing brettonia too? It's pretty much there already

There's lots of possible reasons, but I'm sticking with because a Brettonia campaign with no Wood Elves wouldn't make any sense.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Hopefully because they're doing Brettonia in a way that puts them into the grand campaign map, rather than a mini campaign like the beastmen seem to be (if I'm reading things right).

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

NeurosisHead posted:

Hopefully because they're doing Brettonia in a way that puts them into the grand campaign map, rather than a mini campaign like the beastmen seem to be (if I'm reading things right).

Beastmen are in the Grand Campaign too.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Yeah they gotta be real careful integrating Bretonnia into the grand campaign. Can't just put em anywhere you know! Gotta be set up properly. Still a lot of work to do getting the grand campaign prepared for a Bretonnian presence on the map.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

John Charity Spring posted:

Also, I expect no one to remember this, but Beastmen will be added to the Grand Campaign even if you don't buy the DLC, as will every other DLC faction. You just won't be able to play as them.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

madmac posted:

Also, I expect no one to remember this, but Beastmen will be added to the Grand Campaign even if you don't buy the DLC, as will every other DLC faction. You just won't be able to play as them.

Yeah, I guess this is why the Lore of Beasts and Amber Wizard are going to be added as Free DLC at the same time - they kind of go together.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Chomp8645 posted:

Yeah they gotta be real careful integrating Bretonnia into the grand campaign. Can't just put em anywhere you know! Gotta be set up properly. Still a lot of work to do getting the grand campaign prepared for a Bretonnian presence on the map.

As far as making the troop trees more fully fleshed out and unique, I'd hope that there would be. They're serviceable as it is, but look at the amount of love they gave to designing the Beastmen.

John Charity Spring posted:

Will they be playable in the Grand Campaign, or nuisance like the savage orc tribes?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

A full Bretonnia is only coming later because it is supposed to be the capstone of the FLC program for the first game.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I am very disappointed Beastmen aren't getting the jabberslythe. :smith: I really want to see that weird thing animated. They probably should've gone with the ghorgon instead of the giant too.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Safety Factor posted:

I am very disappointed Beastmen aren't getting the jabberslythe. :smith: I really want to see that weird thing animated. They probably should've gone with the ghorgon instead of the giant too.

No jabberslythe, but isn't this a ghorgon?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

rockopete posted:

That's a cygor. A magic-hating cyclops that throws boulders and wants to crush all wizards. A ghorgon is a four-armed monster that wants to eat everything.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

rockopete posted:

Not quite, that's a Cygor (because it kind of looks like a Cyclops, you see :pseudo:). The Ghorgon is the huge mutated four-armed minotaur variant. I guess they skipped those because they fill pretty much exactly the same role as the giant, so they just reused the existing unit for that niche. Though it seems decently likely that the Ghorgon might still be added eventually somehow, either as free DLC or perhaps as part of a larger pack or something.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Yeah I watched the video where that dude says "this is the TT, this is probably how they will work in the game" for beastmen and I'll be very sad if the Ghorgon and Jabberslythe don't get added at some point.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Holy cow $17 is expensive to pay for a new faction. In Attila didn't you get like 3 factions for $8 usually?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

It's pretty crazy that this is $19 ($17 preorder) imo. I don't know that I'll be buying the DLC until it's on discount, even though I love this game. I wouldn't even feel comfortable paying that much for Skaven.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 15, 2016

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Gotta agree. $24 bucks for a race pack? Thats a bit TOO Games Workshop-y for me!

Was hoping it was going to be a $10 or so.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Sharzak posted:

Holy cow $17 is expensive to pay for a new faction. In Attila didn't you get like 3 factions for $8 usually?

It's like Caesar in Gaul or the other expansions for R2 that added new campaigns with new mechanics, only instead of 3 c/p factions added to the grand campaign you get one actually unique one alongside it.

Personally, I wish they would sell a version that was just the faction and not the new campaign. I've never been disappointed by their new campaigns so it's a safe $17 buy regardless, but I'm sure plenty of people just want to grand campaign and for that the price tag is way too high.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Man, for 17 dollars I'd really expect to get a drat Jabberslythe and some harpies. That is really too expensive considering how much of the roster is shared with Chaos.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
It this works like the other DLC in Rome 2/Attila, and it looks like it will given they have to add them for NPC use, all the beastmen units and structures will exist in the files, and likely can be tied directly to the Chaos Warriors roster if someone was so inclined. I might be so inclined, but it won't be going up on the workshop because fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkk that. Best case they pull the mod, worse case your loving steam account gets banned or something.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 14, 2016

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Kainser posted:

Man, for 17 dollars I'd really expect to get a drat Jabberslythe and some harpies. That is really too expensive considering how much of the roster is shared with Chaos.

Yeah there's no way it should be that expensive when it's missing things.

Really undecided on if I'll get it. What if every race is going to be $20?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Sharzak posted:

It is fairly steep, but to be fair, these factions are significantly more unique than Attila's (or any other recent TW game's, for that matter). The extra factions you got in Rome or Attila were for the most part just a bunch of slightly reskinned exiting units with some stats mixed up a little. For example, in Rome 2 it didn't really matter all that much whether you played, say, the Arevaci or the Iceni. They have largely identical rosters (which in turn were already fairly similar to those of other earlier factions) and only really differed in starting location and a campaign bonus. By comparison, Beastmen look like they'll give you a vastly different gameplay experience both on the campaign map as well as in battle.

Plus of course there's the mini campaign. Those usually ran around ~8$ in the other TWs as well, so if you count it as 8$ for the campagin and 8$ for the race, you're almost there anyway.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
They do look like they'll make an exciting addition to fight against at least, varies up Estalia and the Badlands a lot and it seems like they won't have stacks filled with only missile cavalry. I just hope they won't be as strong as the norscans/be easier to get rid off because the game really doesn't need more of that.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Perestroika posted:

It is fairly steep, but to be fair, these factions are significantly more unique than Attila's (or any other recent TW game's, for that matter). The extra factions you got in Rome or Attila were for the most part just a bunch of slightly reskinned exiting units with some stats mixed up a little. For example, in Rome 2 it didn't really matter all that much whether you played, say, the Arevaci or the Iceni. They have largely identical rosters (which in turn were already fairly similar to those of other earlier factions) and only really differed in starting location and a campaign bonus. By comparison, Beastmen look like they'll give you a vastly different gameplay experience both on the campaign map as well as in battle.

Plus of course there's the mini campaign. Those usually ran around ~8$ in the other TWs as well, so if you count it as 8$ for the campagin and 8$ for the race, you're almost there anyway.

Right. It's basically a slight uptick on the normal price point for any of the recent campaign packs for Rome 2/Atilla, for something that undoubtedly required more work even with the odd unit omissions. (I really do want the Not-jabberwocky.) In particular the Beastmen were probably a pain in the arse to make because the Ungors/Gors/Minotaurs/Centigors would likely have all required different skeletons.

quote:

They do look like they'll make an exciting addition to fight against at least, varies up Estalia and the Badlands a lot and it seems like they won't have stacks filled with only missile cavalry. I just hope they won't be as strong as the norscans/be easier to get rid off because the game really doesn't need more of that.

They're a horde faction so they'll never be the Norscans, probably they'll just spawn new hordes throughout the game like the Savage Orcs as they'd never last past turn 20 otherwise.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So how do you guys think the Beastmen will be integrated into the Grand Campaign? Any changes to the map or just plop them down in the middle of the Empire?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm doing an all out invasion of the chaos wastes with every orc army I have. So far the varg are actually putting up a decent fight

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Verranicus posted:

So how do you guys think the Beastmen will be integrated into the Grand Campaign? Any changes to the map or just plop them down in the middle of the Empire?

It's been mentioned several times already that the two LL have different starting positions. One starts in Estalia, the other in the Badlands.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

madmac posted:

Right. It's basically a slight uptick on the normal price point for any of the recent campaign packs for Rome 2/Atilla, for something that undoubtedly required more work even with the odd unit omissions. (I really do want the Not-jabberwocky.) In particular the Beastmen were probably a pain in the arse to make because the Ungors/Gors/Minotaurs/Centigors would likely have all required different skeletons.

Yeah, all the unique skeletons makes the beastmen a huge pain in the rear end but that just makes me wish they would have waited with them. Seriously doubt they'd do something as labor intensive as the Jabberslythe in a free DLC so now one of the more iconic parts of the beastmen will be in a dlc for a dlc if it's added at all.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Man, they know how to bait me, though. Chaos start in Estalia? With sweet rock bashing ogres? I loving want that. Feel like I haven't gotten to play much in the Tilea/Estalia/Brettonia region.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Kainser posted:

Yeah, all the unique skeletons makes the beastmen a huge pain in the rear end but that just makes me wish they would have waited with them. Seriously doubt they'd do something as labor intensive as the Jabberslythe in a free DLC so now one of the more iconic parts of the beastmen will be in a dlc for a dlc if it's added at all.

The one thing that gives me hope for free Beastmen content is that the datamined dlc info showed a planned mini-campaign for Wood Elves with Morghur as one of the enemies, so maybe he'll be added as the 3rd LL down the road..It's a long shot though.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

They still sound fun as hell though, the Cygor has a miscast aura for enemy wizards and most importantly all Centigor units have the 'Drunken' trait. Hmm.

The real tragedy is that dwarf units lack the trait.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

madmac posted:

The one thing that gives me hope for free Beastmen content is that the datamined dlc info showed a planned mini-campaign for Wood Elves with Morghur as one of the enemies, so maybe he'll be added as the 3rd LL down the road..It's a long shot though.

Edit: isn't he dead by like, hundreds of years?

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Mazz posted:

It this works like the other DLC in Rome 2/Attila, and it looks like it will given they have to add them for NPC use, all the beastmen units and structures will exist in the files, and likely can be tied directly to the Chaos Warriors roster if someone was so inclined. I might be so inclined, but it won't be going up on the workshop because fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkk that. Best case they pull the mod, worse case your loving steam account gets banned or something.

If it works like R2/Attila you definitely won't be able to do that, from what I remember. Think there's something in the executable restricting the use of DLC assets/entries if you don't own the DLC. Maybe you could extract/rename some of it and get it to work as if it's all truly your own modded content? But why the hell would you put in more than $17 worth of man-hours to not buy a $17 thing that also included a campaign.

For warhammer specifically they make it a bit clearer from a modding standpoint by making separate tables. Stuff in the separate tables? You can add that to other factions or mod however you like and everybody with the DLC will be able to use it whereas everybody without the DLC won't even be able to access it. Stuff added to the core tables? It should be fair game for anybody and will include some of the units/new things...I think. I mean, I own the chaos DLC so I haven't been able to test it but I would imagine that people without the chaos DLC can use anything outside of the chaos DLC specific tables in playable factions or else I'd have seen somebody bitching about the faction unlockers for skaeling/varg/etc. not working if you don't own the DLC.

I don't think the "all the beastmen units and structures will exist in the files" will be true though. I imagine if you don't own beastmen you'll get the varg/skaeling/savage orc watered down version of them on the map with limits on both--whatever they put into the main core--whereas if you own the DLC you'll get full beastmen AI factions as well with whatever they put into the DLC specific files. Things like the legendary items for their faction leaders will 100% fall under "not in the main core", for instance.

Decus fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 14, 2016

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Hordes are a little boring, I'm sorta sad about that, also won't beastmen basically be a chaos army without warriors but with archers?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I'm gonna get way more than $17 worth of enjoyment out of this so I dont see what people are upset about there.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
It's pricey but meh. I know I'll get a ton of playtime out of it.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

nopantsjack posted:

Hordes are a little boring, I'm sorta sad about that, also won't beastmen basically be a chaos army without warriors but with archers?

Not really, no. Chaos is a line of superheavy infantry jogging slowly at the enemy until they inevitably grind them into submission.

Beastmen are more like if all your high tier units were still marauders. Lots of fast, hard-hitting infantry and monsters with gently caress all armor and lovely morale, making ambushing and effective use of vanguard deployment extremely important.

I'd say Beastmen are more like Orcs mixed with the Celts from Atilla. Which I'm down with, because the Celts were super-fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
I personally hope that the ambush walk stance can be buffed further via skills so that nearly every fight as beastmen is an ambush fight, that and how you can use vanguard when most of your units have it.

Oh hey, a new research tree too right? I wonder how that'll work, like chaos, unlock with cash? Something to do with the moons? It'll be interesting!

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 14, 2016

• Locked thread