Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Lovely Senorita posted:

what's the time between grabbig your first palico and grabbing your first free gather quests? if there's one thing to do off the bat, it's to get the most tedious of the gathering out of the way :unsmith:

Zero. You can start the game and immediately recruit a palico. Gathering quests are available from the start in the guild hall as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Yay, my 3ds grips are waiting in a locker for me to pick up. Just in time to marathon like crazy this weekend!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ciaphas posted:

Yay, my 3ds grips are waiting in a locker for me to pick up. Just in time to marathon like crazy this weekend!

Tell me how these are once you give them a whirl, I still haven't decided which grips I want.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Mortimer posted:

http://gatheringhallstudios.com/2016/07/mhgen-database-v1-0-for-android-is-now-released/

MHGen Database is out for android, it's a handy app you can look at when you're at work tomorrow hoping your amazon package gets delivered

I can't recommend this enough, I used their apps for MH3U and MH4U (they used to publish as "daviancorp") and it changed my Monhun life. You can look up weaknesses and drop rates, key quests, plan your hunts by comparing weapon upgrade paths and the drops you need, build weapon and armor wishlists, even see what nodes in which zones to farm for certain mats. It's way easier to browse on your phone than any of the sites and of course it's a great option for plane/subway/etc travel. I probably sound like a shill but you really should download this.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tender Bender posted:

I can't recommend this enough, I used their apps for MH3U and MH4U (they used to publish as "daviancorp") and it changed my Monhun life. You can look up weaknesses and drop rates, key quests, plan your hunts by comparing weapon upgrade paths and the drops you need, build weapon and armor wishlists, even see what nodes in which zones to farm for certain mats. It's way easier to browse on your phone than any of the sites and of course it's a great option for plane/subway/etc travel. I probably sound like a shill but you really should download this.

I tried it and it doesn't list Great Jaggi in the list of large monsters.

0/10

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Countblanc posted:

Tell me how these are once you give them a whirl, I still haven't decided which grips I want.

Sure, it won't be until late tonight though, probably like seven or eight hours from now.

What do people think of the change to Lance outside of Striker style, with the third poke? I didn't get a chance to try it last night at all.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Far as I can tell, the odds are near identical when it's 9% for carving compared to 10% for capping. 10% and above carving wins out. But by then the item isn't really considered "rare" anymore.

Oh and Emalde, when you're referring to the game rolling numerous times for a chance at another item, I think you are referring to the reward rows, not the capture rewards, which are listed in the box underneath. Way it works in 4U is you in the very top row you always get four items. Then you have a 60% chance to get a fifth item. The game will keep rolling that 60% chance until either you miss or all the spots in the row are filled. The second row (row B) works the same way except you're only guaranteed two items before the game starts rolling. Row A is usually parts from the monster you were hunting, so that's where things like gems will show up. While row B is usually mostly garbage stuff like bones, but can also have useful stuff like charms. Plus, I think in multi monster quests it might have monster parts as well? If you load up a quest in Kiranico, you can see the probabilities of what items show up in columns A or B.

The Fate skills increase your odds for getting another item in these reward screens. +10 in the skill gives you Good Luck, which increases the chances of rolling another item to 70% from 60%. +15 is Great Luck which makes it 80%.

https://m.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/2yvwqs/capturing_when_and_why_you_should_do_it/

I figured out the math for carving (copied someone else's math) by reading the above Reddit thread. Though the guys initial math was wrong about probabilities, the comments following it clear things up. Sorry for the long winded post btw haha.

This is a good and useful post.

Mortimer posted:

http://gatheringhallstudios.com/2016/07/mhgen-database-v1-0-for-android-is-now-released/

MHGen Database is out for android, it's a handy app you can look at when you're at work tomorrow hoping your amazon package gets delivered

So is this one, I am hype.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Zore posted:

0/10

Great Jaggi isn't in MHG

Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
I like my diamonds bright
ain't saying I'm wrong
or if it's right but baby
I haven't been wrong before

Zore posted:

0/10

Jaggi armor is in MHGen, but that's via the smaller jaggi. The big guy isn't around this time. :(

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Bummey posted:

You kill the monster, sure, but you're just a working class hunter with a contract, which the bourgeois guild facilitates, prepares the base camp and provides token supplies, goes to admittedly great risk to save you from death when you get knocked out, etc. so of course they're going to claim the corpses, process them, and give you your pittance as wage.

Yeah, I thought this was canon from a couple lines or some artbook or something. The guild takes the majority of the monster, but you get first pick of parts. Naturally, you can carve them off yourself (the parts you get are the best non-destroyed parts), or if the monster was captured, the more refined dissection allows you to more easily get rarer parts.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

John Lee posted:

Yeah, I thought this was canon from a couple lines or some artbook or something. The guild takes the majority of the monster, but you get first pick of parts. Naturally, you can carve them off yourself (the parts you get are the best non-destroyed parts), or if the monster was captured, the more refined dissection allows you to more easily get rarer parts.

how does the Fate skill that allows you more parts factor into this headcanon

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

magic

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

You slip the guild monster butcher a fiver

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

Bummey posted:

The flexing is dumb

Yeah, but they could just have a longer drink animation and be functionally the same. I think they just keep the flex for series nostalgia/brand at this point.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Ciaphas posted:

Tell me how good they work.
:siren:These do look good:siren:

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 14, 2016

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I took off half a day tomorrow. I'm very ready for this game.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dreamy Souffle posted:

Jaggi armor is in MHGen, but that's via the smaller jaggi. The big guy isn't around this time. :(

this is some bullshit

also no Wroggi armor?????

goddammit gen you had 1 job

Zore fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 14, 2016

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Banking on the nostalgia of the lovely-rear end dromes and their cloned armor sets is more marketable tham bringing back the actually neat -aggis.

The sooner you accept this, the sooner the healing can begin.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

All those lizards and their god damned insane hitbox hipchecks can get hosed anyway

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

I can't believe I'm so hyped for this, I already played 500 hours of MHX and this is just the same poo poo except in my native language, but still I'm chomping at the bit.

If you're looking for previews of all the weapons/styles/monsters, RisingFunGaming is doing a playthrough of MHX where he's using every weapon/style combo (eventually) and showing off the various forms of the large monsters in the game. Check it out here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2GOE6mLyog

He streams the game a lot too and is generally pretty knowledgable about it so I recommend his channel if you want to see some half-decent play and get some good tips and tricks for MHGen.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Countblanc posted:

Tenzarin posted:

Tell me how good they work.
:siren:These do look good:siren:

I used these on my old 3DS XL, and have been using them for my N3dsXL ever since they came out.

They are amazing. I my hands went from cramping constantly to being able to play as long as I want.

The only issue I've had recently is right around the hinge where the top and bottom pieces of silicone meet, they like to not fit right. This may be a product of my 4 yo playing Kirby a lot lately and his general misuse of the system. (I don't let him use it any more, he has his own now)

Even that little hangup was easily solved, I only use the bottom silicone piece.

10/10 would buy again forever.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Rainuwastaken posted:

Banking on the nostalgia of the lovely-rear end dromes and their cloned armor sets is more marketable tham bringing back the actually neat -aggis.

The sooner you accept this, the sooner the healing can begin.

wait people are nostalgic for the dromes? i thought everyone hated them, at least compared to the jaggi family

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
Did they seriously take out the Great Jaggi clones and keep the Dromes

Sure, lets take out the better looking, better animated, better designed, and much more fun to fight monsters in favor of these awful monsters from Gen 1. God dammit, Capcom

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Dammit I got nothin to do tonight but I'm busy tomorrow evening :( Come onnnnnnn

What skills should I look for with Hammer? Obviously Atk Up is good but do skills that decrease Stamina consumption help with charging?

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

C-Euro posted:

Dammit I got nothin to do tonight but I'm busy tomorrow evening :( Come onnnnnnn

What skills should I look for with Hammer? Obviously Atk Up is good but do skills that decrease Stamina consumption help with charging?

Dude... I'm on a weeklong business trip alone where I don't know anyone in a city that I've been to countless times... Game couldn't come out on Tuesday huh??!?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Wafflz posted:

You slip the guild monster butcher a fiver

This reminds me of all those random mangas and poo poo trying to explain MH game mechanics. Like you only get three carves cause the rest of the monster is reserved for the guild and poo poo.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Rascyc posted:

This reminds me of all those random mangas and poo poo trying to explain MH game mechanics. Like you only get three carves cause the rest of the monster is reserved for the guild and poo poo.

HA

CANON

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

empathe posted:

Dude... I'm on a weeklong business trip alone where I don't know anyone in a city that I've been to countless times... Game couldn't come out on Tuesday huh??!?

Google maps on your phone and search for walmart!

All I need to survive is google maps.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

C-Euro posted:

You should never get close to losing all your stamina while charging. Like it might happen once and a while, but it's not worth getting a skill for it.

Hammer skills kind of sucked in 4U. KO King was worthless in 4U as it didn't stack with the kitchen KO skill. Don't know if that was fixed for Gen. Maybe someone can chime in on that. Stamina Thief is nice I guess, but I'd rather go for offensive skills. Weakness exploit can be useful, since you should always be hitting the head, assuming the head is a weak point. And that skill was buffed back to its original state in this game.

Other than that, just offensive skills. I would say evade or earplugs as well, but you can just use Adept style.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

Tenzarin posted:

Google maps on your phone and search for walmart!

All I need to survive is google maps.

Are they breaking street date? Cause my flight leaves at 9:15 tomorrow morning and my Amazon is already delivering.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

boz posted:

I used these on my old 3DS XL, and have been using them for my N3dsXL ever since they came out.

They are amazing. I my hands went from cramping constantly to being able to play as long as I want.

The only issue I've had recently is right around the hinge where the top and bottom pieces of silicone meet, they like to not fit right. This may be a product of my 4 yo playing Kirby a lot lately and his general misuse of the system. (I don't let him use it any more, he has his own now)

Even that little hangup was easily solved, I only use the bottom silicone piece.

10/10 would buy again forever.

I also recommend the grips. They're amazing and feel great. Buy and be pleased with your good and cool purchase.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

voltcatfish posted:

I had to stop using the IG in 4U because it was far too good of a weapon.

Hopefully they nerfed it or something

According to Gaijin Hunter it got a 15% or so motion value reduction across the board, which is pretty substantial. Considering that it's still a very good weapon, yeah, it was definitely overtuned in 4U.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

What do people think of the change to Lance outside of Striker style, with the third poke? I didn't get a chance to try it last night at all.

From the little I've heard, everyone hates it.

I like it because it feels like a much more impactful end to a combo than just "three pokes, then uh.. wait a little". :unsmith:

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

So standing in line waiting for the launch event was fun today in NYC.

Oh hey, what' this line for?

You guys lining up for a game?

Wat are u guys doing here?

What is this?

Why are you guys here you did you just leave work? You could have worked the whole time you were here to pay for the game

What's the line for gentleman?

Is this for Pokemon GO?

I think they're lining up for pokemon GO.

]What are you guys lining up here for?

Is this a line or something? What for?

Damone
May 3, 2009
:siren:Game's out on the nintendo store in the EU!:siren:

Also comes with a nice theme.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Damone posted:

:siren:Game's out on the nintendo store in the EU!:siren:

Also comes with a nice theme.

Holy poo poo you're not kidding :toot: :supaburn: :toot:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Us americans can't get in on that, right? I have no idea how online Nintendo stuff works anymore

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Countblanc posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B013...vB8L&ref=plSrch

I have these for my N3DS and they are AWESOME.

I also have another extra Dattel grip for the N3DS if anyone wants to buy it for like $8 shipped. It's also great, it just doesn't have cartridge carrying slots, hence the swap.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

Us americans can't get in on that, right? I have no idea how online Nintendo stuff works anymore

I'm pretty sure you can't buy cross-zone on the eShop, unfortunately.

You'd probably have to buy a second (European) DS and make a European account and bind it to that to be able to buy from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Zore posted:

0/10

I hate how they've switched the great jaggi/baggi//wroggi out for the 'dromes. Those things look like they were ripped straight from gen 2.

• Locked thread