Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ciaphas posted:

Fire is two syllables and "But Dave was on fire" is six you dweebs :mad:

Haiku argument, is fire just one syllable? Guess you disagree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Only if you're a redneck and pronounce it "fah" and I'm dying on this goddamn hill you can't stop me

Devdisigdu
Mar 23, 2016

The shadows lengthen
In Carcosa.
Soldier moved too far
Stun Lancer jolted him 'ard
It is now Naptime

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
But Dave was in flame?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Dave's not here, man.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Bootcha posted:

DARKEST-COM

In time, you will know
the tragic extent of my
failings, said Vahlen.

I was lord of this
base, before snakes and hubris
made it their domain.

Curiosity,
science, obsession, mile
marking damnation.

Let me share with you
the terrible result I
have come to know. -V
I was going to make a haiku about how much I hate that one mission but :effort: so let me just say VAHLEN! :argh:

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
Ninety-five percent
Easy, how hard could it be?
Now they are all dead.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Bootcha posted:

DARKEST-COM

In time, you will know
the tragic extent of my
failings, said Vahlen.

I was lord of this
base, before snakes and hubris
made it their domain.

Curiosity,
science, obsession, mile
marking damnation.

Let me share with you
the terrible result I
have come to know. -V

I have an irrational hate-on for this weird haiku thing, especially when people can't count, but this is really good

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

While setting up near the Skyranger
Hitler fired at a passerby stranger
But it caused a big "Oops"
As it put all the troops
In "OH MY GOD, HITLER WHY" danger!

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 14, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

GNU Order posted:

My cyber blade has
Been folded three hundred times
Refrigerator

It's a Plasma Sword
How did you fold Plasma now?
Is that what got Dave?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Tony White will always steal kills.

VKing
Apr 22, 2008
This thread is already awesome. I can't wait for the LP proper to start. :allears:

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Rocket fired at pack
Building held by single brick
Please fix your game Jake

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

You said you would be using some cosmetic mods, does that include the Capnbubs Accessories Pack?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

SgtSteel91 posted:

You said you would be using some cosmetic mods, does that include the Capnbubs Accessories Pack?

I believe Jade already confirmed that he's using that mod. Along with any cosmetic mods that aren't spergy.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

With Capnbubs accessory pack you can turn all your men into the genome soldiers they were destined to be!

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Man Whore posted:

With Capnbubs accessory pack you can turn all your men into the genome soldiers they were destined to be!

This also helps with that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Thin man in my sights
Rocket away, now he's dead
Straight through a brick wall

I get more glitches letting me fire through solid objects than the other way around. :v:

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Loving the Haikus while the waiting is going, but yeah, I'm thinking first video will be up tomorrow or the day after. Just need to wrangle some free time with Guava.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ciaphas posted:

Only if you're a redneck and pronounce it "fah" and I'm dying on this goddamn hill you can't stop me

I used to know what those sorts of words are called, because I had the same issue. Some words are two syllables when you say them slowly, but one in normal speech. World, fire, stuff like that. My real name's a bit of one as well, and I used to feel annoyed that it felt like more of a mouthful of a name than it looked like it should be. They're kinda one and a half syllables long.

E: Heck, that Daft Punk "around the world" song deliberately plays with that word's use as one or two syllables.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Bruceski posted:

I used to know what those sorts of words are called, because I had the same issue. Some words are two syllables when you say them slowly, but one in normal speech. World, fire, stuff like that. My real name's a bit of one as well, and I used to feel annoyed that it felt like more of a mouthful of a name than it looked like it should be. They're kinda one and a half syllables long.

E: Heck, that Daft Punk "around the world" song deliberately plays with that word's use as one or two syllables.

I don't know any term for those kinds of words in general, but the type of sound in question with 'fire' is a triphthong, which is like a diphthong except, well, three instead of two sounds. Thing is, unlike most diphthongs, we're not very good at sustaining three sounds at once, so when pronounced carefully, they split up into a diphthong and a monophthong.

'World' is a bit of a different case, though; I believe that's more to do with 'r' and 'l' being approximants, which can be... weird.

:eng101:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Jade and Guava are recording :neckbeard:

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
You son of a bitch. You knew you would draw me out with this game. drat YOU JADE STAR! DAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMNNNNNNN YOOOOOOOUUUUUUUU!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Colander Crotch posted:

You son of a bitch. You knew you would draw me out with this game. drat YOU JADE STAR! DAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMNNNNNNN YOOOOOOOUUUUUUUU!

hey buddy

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Signed up, excited to see myself die in my first mission

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Colander Crotch posted:

Not a real haiku. I think I count 5/10/6. You're really close though!

Shame I missed recruits,
but that's because I was, say...
put on Overwatch.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Oh right, also i cleared out the long list of sign up emails, so if you missed out, go ahead and send in sign ups again. Only 8 soldiers have been pulled from the sign ups so far.

zyxophoj
May 24, 2014
R.I.P., rookie.
Unlike all the shots you took,
you will not be missed.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Moving to Flank them
Oh no! I activated
a Sectopod pod.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I move on target,
Oh poo poo! Three loving pods!
Mimic Beacon go!

:smuggo:

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
So we need to resend? Did so, included a haiku.

"Jadestar hits EXALT
Into the sun each mission
Guava says BOOOO-SHAH!"

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Jade Star posted:

Oh right, also i cleared out the long list of sign up emails, so if you missed out, go ahead and send in sign ups again. Only 8 soldiers have been pulled from the sign ups so far.

How do we know if we got missed? Our dooders just won't appear in the first vid?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

I move on target,
Oh poo poo! Three loving pods!
Mimic Beacon go!

:smuggo:

New patch is released.
Mimic beacon now fails me.
Unfix your game, Jake.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Gridlocked posted:

How do we know if we got missed? Our dooders just won't appear in the first vid?

I meant if you hadn't submitted an email by now because I asked people to hold up when I had 100 emails to get through. So if you submitted an email before that post where I asked for people to hold up until the first video, then you're in the pool. If you didn't send an email yet but still want to be in the character pool, go ahead and send one now.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Nyaa posted:

But Dave was in flame?

Dave status: he ded

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

chiasaur11 posted:

New patch is released.
Mimic beacon now fails me.
Unfix your game, Jake.

Activate the pod,
Use psyker to Mind Control
Use puppet to tank

km2
Jul 27, 2012
Unfortunately
funny if during middle
of Jade Star's LP:

Best XCOM player!
Legendary Ironman!
Starts livestream, first time!

Resuming last save.
[XCOM 2 has stopped working.]
*heart suddenly stops*

Tries loading again...
Grim message shows every time.
No fixes have worked.

Sadly no backups.
LP prematurely ends.
"All that effort... gone..."

No offense Jade Star!
Character pool is gone too!
I will stop right now.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Oi, boss, I gots news
Da boyz are gettin restless
Need some gitz ta stomp

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Oi, boss, I gots news
Da boyz are gettin restless
Need some gitz ta stomp

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH! :orks101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Operation Gatecrasher

The first video is heavily plot cut-scenes and the first handheld walk through mission so there isn't a lot of strategy to talk about nor time to discuss what does pop up. The first mission does introduce about all of the new mission mechanics that come with X-Com2. Concealment and ambushes, hacking, enemy loot drops, enemy reinforcement drops, body carrying, and calling for evac all come up in quick succession with out a whole lot of time to discuss the full details of each mechanic. It's a pretty good mission in a tutorial sense as it manages to expose a player to almost all of the game elements immediately and in a easy to grasp way. That said its a lot of light brushing the surface so to speak. The full extent of the mechanics will be discussed in due time.

Since the only mission in the video is a script and there's no possible deviation I instead liked to point out some things such as the ADVENT art and sculptures. Unfortunately I can't find the real world sculpture that I point out the sectoid equivalent of but I can not stress enough how much amazing art was made for the game and how some of it really shapes the feel of the game. I would love to see comics or movie or series in the theme of some of the artwork made because it is so beautiful and I feel it can tell the story in a completely different way and give an experience we don't fully receive by playing through the game and being an active participant rather than getting to be an audience and be saturated with the beautiful imagery. Please check out the official XCom2 web site that has loads of their original are by clicking this link. It's really beautiful and fascinating stuff.

I have also updated the third post with a little more discussion about the art direction of X-Com.

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 16, 2016

• Locked thread