Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

DancinBrud posted:

I've seen Daivari wrestle a bunch (the commentary got it right: he really is the biggest thing going in Minnesota) and he really had to slow it down to carry Lun. Hope he gets a chance to show what he can do against more experienced competition too.

Also, the sports-like presentation of the CWC prevented him from bringing his carpet to the top rope for his frog splash finisher, which: good, because that's always seemed like cheating in my book!

I wonder if he was paired with Hoho early because he is good and they gave him assurances that he'd get a solid look by WWE for doing good business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

The french guy was actually really good

Him and Cedric had a really excellent match together I thought

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

That was a fun show.

Look out next week Tajiri, Australia's gonna run right over you.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!
Ohhhh shiiiiiiiit
https://twitter.com/ATwiss99/status/753733440982421504

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

He's super good

Rogue Copter Pilot
Apr 12, 2005

a dead whale or a stove boat

ZenVulgarity posted:

He's super good

agreed, nxt paul is our savior

e: i just wanted to make that joke, cedric was really impressive

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cedric stood out the most for me of all of them on night 1 and that's a show that included Kota Ibushi, so hell yeah he should be getting recognized. Awesome.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
I've scaled back on posting who is and isn't signed the last two months due to the current climate. Even who NXT is vaguely interested. Angle and Moose aren't the only people who have gotten their deals yanked for things far less serious than domestic assault allegations. The screening process is stricter than ever. It is a scary time and I don't want to ruin anyone's chances.

But Cedric's signing today is something that did happen and was a shoot. So that's great.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

rovert posted:

I've scaled back on posting who is and isn't signed the last two months due to the current climate. Even who NXT is vaguely interested. Angle and Moose aren't the only people who have gotten their deals yanked for things far less serious than domestic assault allegations. The screening process is stricter than ever. It is a scary time and I don't want to ruin anyone's chances.

But Cedric's signing today is something that did happen and was a shoot. So that's great.

Yes Rovert we all know how much power you wield in the IWC. Thank you for being a kind enough soul to not ruin careers.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Just watched it and it was all great besides:

Ho Ho who was really terrible and looked like he just started wrestling last week. Seriously dude, stop smiling after having moves done on you and actually loving sell a bit. Also, stop looking directly at the camera.

The Third Uso was fairly garbage as well but he was a first round jobber so it isn't too bad because we don't have to see him in the tournament again. WWE will no doubt sign him anyway.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
How exactly is Sean Maluta in the Anoa'i family? They keep saying he's Afa's nephew but the family trees I've seen don't include him, so I'm assuming one of his parents must be a sibling of Afa's wife.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

yeah i was looking at the family tree earlier and he wasn't on it, i wouldn't be surprised if he's connected through marriage or something

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

It says he's Afa's nephew, and there is an article from 2012 that includes an interview with Afa where he mentions him by name.

It's quite possible that the family trees that are circulated, which don't include many of the family, haven't been updated since he became a pro wrestler.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

How exactly is Sean Maluta in the Anoa'i family? They keep saying he's Afa's nephew but the family trees I've seen don't include him, so I'm assuming one of his parents must be a sibling of Afa's wife.

I asked. Sean is from Staten Island. Sean was introduced to Afa through Afa’s wife, who is from Staten Island originally. No true relationship.

He's been on file with WWE Developmental for years and years. Never hired for whatever reason.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

spudsbuckley posted:

Just watched it and it was all great besides:

Ho Ho who was really terrible and looked like he just started wrestling last week. Seriously dude, stop smiling after having moves done on you and actually loving sell a bit. Also, stop looking directly at the camera.

The Third Uso was fairly garbage as well but he was a first round jobber so it isn't too bad because we don't have to see him in the tournament again. WWE will no doubt sign him anyway.

There's an interview with Davari out there where he talks about Lun. Pretty much Lun is very green, but there is no wrestling culture in China at all. Lun is one of their pioneers, and has lots of potential to be realized, but there is work to do.

That being said, Davari thinks people online are being a bit too hard on him.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Xenoletum posted:

There's an interview with Davari out there where he talks about Lun. Pretty much Lun is very green, but there is no wrestling culture in China at all. Lun is one of their pioneers, and has lots of potential to be realized, but there is work to do.

That being said, Davari thinks people online are being a bit too hard on him.

Honestly, if Lun had come into NXT, and had had a few months at the Performance Center, or on the road with an Aries or a Bobby Roode? He'd probably be fine. It's throwing him in with a more polished dude in Daivari and on the same card as someone like Ibushi that shows up his weaknesses.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Lun was pretty botch free the entire match and the spots he did looked nice. He just had no grasp of psychology or how to really string his moves together. I think he could be good if he started getting legit training.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

I didn't realise Gran Metalik was Mascara Dorada until I saw him wrestling

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I think the best thing for Ho Ho Lun is for him to tour the independent scene in the US and bring that knowledge back to Hong Kong. If he doesn't just stay in the US, I mean.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Every good sports tournament has a crap team that enters that can't play but everyone loves when they get through against the odds. Triple H should be commended for his soccer style booking.

And I also dug the botch/commentary. It's always irked me that wrestling was supposed to be seen like a performance art where everything has to be setup for success. People should be able to botch a move and have the commentary say they screwed up rather than pretend it simply didn't happen. The botch in that match truly looked like someone who just went for it because they knew they had to give it their all, and it fit perfectly within the narrative.

Ahhhh the cwc rules so much and everything so far has been completely how I wanted it since they announced it. The fight intro graphics rule, haters.

The only one minor thing is picking up on the commentary punch-ins as they've obviously changed the order they're televised in compared to filmed, and they've added bits in to say things like 'the second match of the tournament' when it was the 8th or something. Not even a complaint.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I hope HoHo Lun gets a bunch of training at the performance centre and then tours around the US as the new superstar we all know he is. Such natural babyface charisma.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MrBling posted:

Such natural babyface charisma.

For some reason this made me start hearing Sami Zayn's theme in my head with the "Oh"s replaced with "Ho Ho Lun"

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

MrBling posted:

I hope HoHo Lun gets a bunch of training at the performance centre and then tours around the US as the new superstar we all know he is. Such natural babyface charisma.

Yeah if anything he made me really appreciate what the NXT performance center can do

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

rovert posted:

I asked. Sean is from Staten Island. Sean was introduced to Afa through Afa’s wife, who is from Staten Island originally. No true relationship.

Well that's certainly not going to stop them from saying it over and over!

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/itsBayleyWWE/status/753767465340002304

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Just out of curiosity i looked up how long Ho Ho has been wrestling.

7 years. I think he might just be a bit poo poo.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

He's wrestling in Hong Kong, not Japan. They didn't have pro wrestling until he introduced it. I think you can give him a little leeway since he wasn't wrestling Shibata and Okada or something.

"Man, that guy from the Democratic Republic of Congo sure sucks at golf."

AMReese fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 15, 2016

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

AMReese posted:

He's wrestling in Hong Kong, not Japan. They didn't have pro wrestling until he introduced it. I think you can give him a little leeway since he wasn't wrestling Shibata and Okada or something.

If he's the best Hong Kong has to offer, I can't imagine what would be the worst. A guy that untalented shouldn't be introducing wrestling to the largest untapped market, he should be carrying someone's bags into a bingo hall in Kentucky.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

AMReese posted:

He seriously looks like a guy who had been training for a couple of weeks.

Celebrities doing matches for WWE and WCW back in the day looked better than him.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Gentlemen, I will not sit idly and tolerate any Ho Ho hate in this thread :colbert:

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

Bunch of haters up in here

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Yeah, you assume too much about what those "7 years" mean. Brazil has SOME pro-wrestling tradition and people work like, once a month as a hobby at BEST, so if Hong Kong has even LESS of a scene, 7 years probably means "I did backyard poo poo with friends once a year".

Plus it's an "untapped" market because no one gives a gently caress, it's not so much him being a bad influence as it is him being the only guy to care enough, I'd assume.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

in interviews he's said he does one or two shows a year in hong kong

although he has done tours with ZERO-1 in japan, a few places in europe, and idk how but he's had a handful of bookings in bingo hall indies in the US. It's ok if he's bad you dont really need to make excuses for him. He wrestles like he's inexperienced

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
If you'd care to, y'know, read stuff, I just said that the 7 year figure doesn't mean 7 years in American wrestling time. :shrug:

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

as the self-proclaimed authority on ho ho lun i was merely clarifying on his relative inexperience!

oatgan fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 15, 2016

Dr. Baker
Jan 25, 2012

Numb me, drill me
Floss me, bill me
Shame on Ho Ho Lun for wanting to be a wrestler!

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

As far as the other guys in the hong kong pro wrestling are concerned, there really aren't any. Whoever is bankrolling those shows flies in unknown guys from southeast asia and europe and they work bland inoffensive matches in front of 30 people. Some of those shows are up on youtube its a very weird vibe.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Isn't there another Hong Kong guy in the field? Or is he like Daivari or the Indian guys and actually from, like, Iowa?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

you might be thinking of Anhui's favorite son Bin Wang who was signed to a developmental contract around the time they were announcing names for the CWC. He's the first Chinese wrestler in WWE's system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Are Ho Ho Lun and Godfather's Ho related?

• Locked thread