Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I think the most interesting part of a Groundhog's Day scenario is characters approaching the same or similar event in different ways with knowledge gained from looping (like, what Magnus did at the very beginning), and the least interesting is when it's treated like a quicksave function. So although I liked the puzzle game element I'm more frustrated that this whole arc is already leaning on "I try this, we all died, okay now I try THIS." It's both boring and completely removes the stakes of the story because there's absolutely zero punishment for failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Toxxupation posted:

I think the most interesting part of a Groundhog's Day scenario is characters approaching the same or similar event in different ways with knowledge gained from looping (like, what Magnus did at the very beginning), and the least interesting is when it's treated like a quicksave function. So although I liked the puzzle game element I'm more frustrated that this whole arc is already leaning on "I try this, we all died, okay now I try THIS." It's both boring and completely removes the stakes of the story because there's absolutely zero punishment for failure.

Well the alternative is every single episode is a loop and the podcast is identical episodes with minor differences for literal years until they get it right.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I think the best solution would've been not introducing puzzles with lethal failstates (or puzzles that took advantage of its setup, sorta like how the first "puzzle" the group had to solve was getting out of/being prevented from being thrown in jail). I also like it when the puzzle is Majora's Mask-y like figuring out how to do stuff or get to a location faster over a straight up solve or die scenario like this episode was chock full of. Death is the least interesting failure state in this arc over wasting time or being inefficient.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

Toxxupation posted:

I think the best solution would've been not introducing puzzles with lethal failstates (or puzzles that took advantage of its setup, sorta like how the first "puzzle" the group had to solve was getting out of/being prevented from being thrown in jail). I also like it when the puzzle is Majora's Mask-y like figuring out how to do stuff or get to a location faster over a straight up solve or die scenario like this episode was chock full of. Death is the least interesting failure state in this arc over wasting time or being inefficient.

Griffin isn't going to always hold the time over their heads though (Crystal Kindom had a timer of 20 or so minutes, right?) so he's left with death or explicitly hinting that they can't proceed (like with requiring diamonds) with what they're doing.

Hopefully we end up with them approaching situations in completely different/oddball ways to have fun with the format. I'm hoping for a good cop/bad cop style with Cassidy or something.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

I trust Griffin's judgement with regards to this. Note that there was going to be another lethal-failstate puzzle right after the punchcard one, but Griffin cut it on the fly to keep things moving.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
The mines definitely reads as the "dungeon" of the arc that had to be solved at some point. They got to the end but don't have the boss key. Now they explore the town more until they figure out some solution then back to the mine on a final loop for the finale

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Toxxupation posted:

I'm sure there will be a decent amount of that but even Groundhog Day had a montage of Phil dying repeatedly with basically nothing else changing from day to day. I haven't seen that Edge of Tomorrow movie but from what I gather it's basically this

e: also as a DM, having created a scenario where you can kill your heroes freely, of course he's going to do it. He even kind of has to, the grim reaper dude from CK stated that they'd all died dozens of times, it'd be a plot hole now if they didn't.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I'm happy that this arc is so ridiculous and cartoonish because TAZ is and always has been a comedy podcast.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Travis343 posted:

Well the alternative is every single episode is a loop and the podcast is identical episodes with minor differences for literal years until they get it right.

The Melancholy of Magnus Burnsides: The Endless Hour.

Seriously, though, I'm pretty sure after cutting 2 wires and dying, Travis is done trying to Magnus the situation, and there's probably going to be a lot more thought moving forward now that they know what the threat is. I'm really interested to see where they go from here.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Travis343 posted:

I'm sure there will be a decent amount of that but even Groundhog Day had a montage of Phil dying repeatedly with basically nothing else changing from day to day. I haven't seen that Edge of Tomorrow movie but from what I gather it's basically this

1) Yes, it absolutely is.

2) See Edge of Tomorrow.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also I feel that this might be the only time we get the deathtrap puzzles just to get a feel for the mines being the final thing we have to do and most of the rest of the arc will be gathering information on what this thing is and how to beat it.

Edit: Also yeah, Edge of Tomorrow/Live Die Repeat/All You Need Is Kill is good.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I'm behind on the podcast, just finishing up the Crystal story arc, but you could build in a loop penalty. Either have the clock running outside the loop (with a deadline) or have the start a little later ever repetition, so taking too many loops to figure something out penalizes you by giving you less time to act on the correct solution.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Yeah, this feels much more like Edge of Tomorrow than Groundhog Day. I do think I'd like it if Griffin very very quickly recapped the events up to that point each time, but it's a minor complaint.

I was impressed by how quickly they figured out the locker puzzle, but I think they may have let one big thing get by them - they keep allowing those first two little bugs to leave the cave through that hole they made in the rockslide! Those things are gonna kill everyone!

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Not sure about those flesh-eating darkness bugs, but the purple worm is apparently a pretty well-known D&D monster. Fanart of it ranges from awesome to incredibly cheesy.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I watched Live.Die.Repeat/Edge of Tomorrow the night before this latest episode dropped, and I got those vibes big time. Especially how the movie and podcast both cut out previous iterations to save time and for comedy. I will say, the one thing The Eleventh Hour needs is Bill Paxton yelling.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

I thought the Sierra death puzzle dungeon was fun, and to the boys' credit they tried to actually work out the solutions instead of brute-forcing them. Also, the old lady in the void seeming to get more exhausted hinted at greater Narrative Consequences for their repeated loving up.
I like that this arc is more overtly game-y.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

misadventurous posted:

Also, the old lady in the void seeming to get more exhausted hinted at greater Narrative Consequences for their repeated loving up.

That or he didn't feel like coming up with cryptic lines of dialogue for the old lady every single time they died.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

I mean, both, probably.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
TAZ live show night. Yessss.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Ignoranus posted:

TAZ live show night. Yessss.

50% of the audience is playing pokémon go right now and as a Canadian I'm feeling attacked

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

The TAZ live show was fantastic. A few new characters, a few returning characters, a happy-ish ending, and some real funny stuff. Looking forward to y'all hearing it later this year.

let's go jeff angel :3:

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Teddybear posted:

The TAZ live show was fantastic. A few new characters, a few returning characters, a happy-ish ending, and some real funny stuff. Looking forward to y'all hearing it later this year.

gently caress yes it was awesome. They liked my costume, too. :kimchi:

(Also it was nice to meet you!)

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Stroop There It Is posted:

(Also it was nice to meet you!)

The folks over by me were like "oh poo poo look it's Hurley! dope!"

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Teddybear posted:

Jeff Angel sucks

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Stroop There It Is posted:

You and the Garryl cosplayer loving rocked it!

The show was a total blast, even with the zero leg room on the mezzanine level and having no idea where to find the merch afterwards it still exceeded every expectation I had. No idea how they're going to keep up that level of quality tomorrow night but I'm psyched to find out.

Seriously though Jeff Angel sucks.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ursus Veritas posted:

One R. I only say this because I listened to that very episode tonight.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Ursus Veritas posted:

The show was a total blast, even with the zero leg room on the mezzanine level and having no idea where to find the merch afterwards it still exceeded every expectation I had. No idea how they're going to keep up that level of quality tomorrow night but I'm psyched to find out.

Seriously though Jeff Angel sucks.

hosed up of Angus to lie about being an Angel mark

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

hosed up of Angus to lie about being an Angel mark

Typical smark, complaining about Jeff Angel on the internet while they sit in the audience wearing their angel wings.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/griffinmcelroy/status/754339112006615040

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

God dammit I watched that episode and didn't even pick up on that

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

Confirms my belief that Griffin is genuinely a solid voice actor. Also whoa what is this delightful internet cartoon I had never heard of before.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

misadventurous posted:

Confirms my belief that Griffin is genuinely a solid voice actor. Also whoa what is this delightful internet cartoon I had never heard of before.

It's a Rooster Teeth. Haven't checked it out because I don't usually like their scripted stuff but the siren song of a McElroy calls to me.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Teddybear posted:

The folks over by me were like "oh poo poo look it's Hurley! dope!"
Awesome. People were super nice, and a couple people approached me for photos... including a girl in the bathroom when I was trying to fix my "elf" ears.

Ursus Veritas posted:

Thanks! Yeah she and her Magnus buddy were fantastic. I also saw a Cassidy and someone with a Void Fish umbrella.

Really wish I could attend the MBMBaM show tonight, I'm sure it's going to be as awesome as last night's live show.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Ursus Veritas posted:

You can't say there was a Garyl cosplayer and not have any pictures of them.
Was it just a person in a costume or was it like a full on two person pantomime horse?

InspectorCarbonara fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 16, 2016

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

InspectorCarbonara posted:

You can't say there was a Garyl cosplayer and not have any pictures of them.
Was it just a person in a costume or was it like a full on two person pantomime horse?

https://twitter.com/TylerRMcNamara/status/754295864240304128

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

Augh those costumes rule. I love the Steven fishglobe.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Someone's grabbing some horseass

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
Did Griffin just put down a lure on the Wilbur Theater Pokestop?

Also, Sawbones was pretty fun. It felt like it went by super fast.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I was probably naive to think that folks would get my joke since you'd have to be there the night before.

Also it's not funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Teddybear posted:

I was probably naive to think that folks would get my joke since you'd have to be there the night before.

Also it's not funny.
Actually that's hilarious