Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

neckbeard posted:

FYI - if you do rent a car in New Zealand, make sure you get the Corolla like Clarkson did. I was there in March and rented a Yaris - going through the mountains on the south island those things sure as poo poo aren't the fastest cars in the world.

So much this. I have to tell everyone who visits the motherland this. One of the scariest things I've ever done was drive my 81 Corolla wagon down the steep side of the Crown Range. With 4 people and a months worth of gear on board the brakes were... inadequate. Being the old 4 speed manual, 2nd was too short to engine brake without over-revving and 3rd was too long so you picked up way too much speed. Got to the bottom and the brakes were so cooked I couldn't stop at the intersection with the main road.

Seeing as this is Post awesome AI car poo poo and not Share your dumb story, have Mad Mike drifting up said road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il986P_ooEE

slothrop fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jul 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Shamelessly pinched from the AI group on Facebook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtR5OOHZSp4

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

Memento posted:

Pro-Click

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I'm kind of surprised that those pretty much all sound like low volume, high revving, 4cyl engines. Wouldn't a larger engine be easier to get power out of? I love the different turbo noises though. Now I understand why MMC thought that 2SEXY sounded good, because I thought it sounded like death, but it was just the sound of a classic racer coming out of a dying car

Liquid Communism posted:

Eh, it's a tube chassis wheelie kart with a PT-cruiser shaped fiberglass shell.

Still pretty cool, but not 'PT Cruiser Doing a Wheelie' cool.

Well, it's basically impossible to wheelie a PT without doing that stuff first. It weighs a poo poo ton for such a small vehicle, is built on the not exactly rugged Neon body, and is FWD.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

The Door Frame posted:

I'm kind of surprised that those pretty much all sound like low volume, high revving, 4cyl engines. Wouldn't a larger engine be easier to get power out of?
Series rules.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

BlackMK4 posted:

Series rules.

That'll do it

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Some rich lunatic needs to start the box series races. Does your car fit in this box? Good chap, crack on.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The Audi Quattro is a 5-pot and the Metro 6R4, but yeah, a lot of them were fours.

The BMW M12 F1 engine of the same period was supposedly able to kick out 1,300+bhp in full-on tune - from a 1.5 litre four-pot with something in the region of 70psi of boost being shovelled into it. And the engine blocks were production items sourced from high-mileage road cars. And the basic engine was designed in the sixties.

The entire story reads like "and that's why we drug test the engineering department now".

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I watched a Petrolicious video on a guy's Lancia Delta S4 last night, twin charged 1.7l pushing out 560bhp in a car weighing 890kg. He said Lancia had that setup pushing out 1000bhp in testing, in the mid 80s... :aaaaa:

I love crazy poo poo like that, the fact that there's people out there willing to push the envelope into the realm of stupidity. Those are the real heroes. The mentalists willing to pilot them? GODS.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

InitialDave posted:

The Audi Quattro is a 5-pot and the Metro 6R4, but yeah, a lot of them were fours.

The BMW M12 F1 engine of the same period was supposedly able to kick out 1,300+bhp in full-on tune - from a 1.5 litre four-pot with something in the region of 70psi of boost being shovelled into it. And the engine blocks were production items sourced from high-mileage road cars. And the basic engine was designed in the sixties.

The entire story reads like "and that's why we drug test the engineering department now".
They also left the engines to the elements and supposedly urinated on them.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It's easier on motors to make power up top than down at the bottom.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Falken posted:

I think the urinating part is apocryphal, but there's a reason they used high-mileage blocks exposed to the elements.

They wanted the best-of-the-best. High mileage blocks that went through surface attacks in the weather and survived daily driver status without cracking or having uneven corrosion patterns were proven good castings. No voids, or shearing along the crystal grain structure. Hopefully by 400k km, the blocks that have failed already would have.

"Hey, BMW Motorrad. We want the best racing team, and the best engine. You can have all the machinery and parts you want."

"Can we open a dedicated factory line for the engine?"

"Anything you want except production floorspace."

"Okay."

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 16, 2016

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Falken posted:

EFB

Do high mileage engines benefit from some kind of work hardening or heat treatment that would somehow make the block stronger?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

:black101:

Somehow russians are more mad max than mad max.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

MetaJew posted:

EFB

Do high mileage engines benefit from some kind of work hardening or heat treatment that would somehow make the block stronger?

Not really but as mentioned above any block that was going to fail already had by that point.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Geirskogul posted:

I think the urinating part is apocryphal, but there's a reason they used high-mileage blocks exposed to the elements.
The take-home seems to be that they definitely did piss on them, it just wasn't a design consideration. The pile of blocks was where people went for a slash, that's all.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

:magical:

I want this as a camper.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Powershift posted:

Shouldn't it be pulled by this?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Powershift posted:

It's because Russia is more hardcore than post-apocalyptic Australia

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Race Car Engineering actually had a thing on the M12/13 F1 engine. They said that the guys in the engine shop were amused by all the rumors (leaving them outside, pissing on them, etc) that they decided to try building one according to that process, and it didn't survive break-in.

The whole thing was actually derived from the pretty successful Formula 2 engine, where they were making around 330hp out of 2L. For that matter, so was the infamous Honda V6.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

If Immortan Joe is the guy carrying the war boys through the gates of Valhalla, then it's Freiburger and Finnegan who will be waiting for them on the other side of said gates. Holy poo poo.

That episode really is the best worst idea ever. The next episode with the Buick is kind of a letdown since they never get it running.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

At first, I mistook the side mirror for the driver's in-character helmet.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

bandman posted:

That episode really is the best worst idea ever. The next episode with the Buick is kind of a letdown since they never get it running.

Yeah but that happened with Stubby Bob too...

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

bandman posted:

They didn't even attach the body to the chassis! They just left it sitting on it and left when there's still probably half the work left on the car.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

To be fair, that Buick is probably also the absolute shittiest pile of garbage they've ever had on the show.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
I kind of feel like they organized this whole trip expecting to have a far superior class of vehicle to work with when they got there, and sort of had to make do with doing something incredibly dumb and doomed from the start for whatever reason (maybe the guy wanted too much money or there was literally nothing there that wasn't too expensive or a literal hunk of poo poo?) - it definitely feels like a "well, we made the trip here, so we have to do something" sorta deal to me.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Chop the back off the PT and make it into a PT-amino, then put a rotary in it.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

literally a fish posted:

I kind of feel like they organized this whole trip expecting to have a far superior class of vehicle to work with when they got there, and sort of had to make do with doing something incredibly dumb and doomed from the start for whatever reason (maybe the guy wanted too much money or there was literally nothing there that wasn't too expensive or a literal hunk of poo poo?) - it definitely feels like a "well, we made the trip here, so we have to do something" sorta deal to me.

That's the vibe I got, too. Hopefully they can make something interesting out of it. I didn't have high hopes for Stubby Bob originally, either, so who knows.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Unironically would

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

literally a fish posted:

Sold. This is my favorite part of Roadkill, watching them fabricobble a buncha garbage together that may or may not work.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

scuz posted:

Sold. This is my favorite part of Roadkill, watching them fabricobble a buncha garbage together that may or may not work.

Yeah I enjoy the episodes where they just thrash on a pile of rusty poo poo, even if there's no real "payoff" at the end.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Automotive blueballs! :v:

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Memento posted:

:gizz:

What i wouldn't give to go and see the old group B in its hey day. Those drivers had some balls.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPnoRu50s9M

:shittypop: Finnegan and another dude are doing an AMC Hornet!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I should send that to my dad, who's been sitting on a non-functional Hornet since the early 80's. He bought it new, had some kids and was forced to put it in storage for reasons I've never been clear on. It's been a project car ever since, has been shipped up to Alaska and back, and I assume it's under a tarp in his garage in California.

At one point the transmission was stolen out of it, which I think he replaced by finding a new one on ebay at some point in the last ten years.

If I remember the story right, I came home from the hospital in it. It was either me or one of my sisters.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

scuz posted:

That's the thing though, they don't even do that. They slap a Buick body on a C3 chassis and basically go "Huh, this could be cool if we had more time and money." And just end it. It's one of their worst episodes :(

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

literally a fish posted:

I kind of feel like they organized this whole trip expecting to have a far superior class of vehicle to work with when they got there, and sort of had to make do with doing something incredibly dumb and doomed from the start for whatever reason (aybe the guy wanted too much money or there was literally nothing there that wasn't too expensive or a literal hunk of poo poo?) - it definitely feels like a "well, we made the trip here, so we have to do something" sorta deal to me.

I imagine that's probably what wound up happening. The guy deffo seemed like one of those "no lowballers I know what I got" types who won't let poo poo that's literally rotting into the earth, infested with ants and being devoured by bushes go for anything less than a couple grand because 'classic'.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

ishikabibble posted:

I imagine that's probably what wound up happening. The guy deffo seemed like one of those "no lowballers I know what I got" types who won't let poo poo that's literally rotting into the earth, infested with ants and being devoured by bushes go for anything less than a couple grand because 'classic'.

Yeah, that kind of happened with the CTC Auto Ranch barracuda episode, where the guy wanted like 4 grand for a non-running 'cuda with no glass initially, but came down to something resembling sanity a bit later (probably just so he could watch them try to pull this off and knowing the publicity it would get him). I wouldn't be at all surprised if the guy in this most recent episode charged them some absurd amount of money for even the pieces of trash they landed up excavating.

It definitely feels like a "well, poo poo, this wasn't a particularly good place for us to go, but we'll make it work (or make something work)" episode. And it IS entertaining, even if there's no payoff at the end, and as we've seen with Stubby Bob it's not impossible that they might make something out of it in the future.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

literally a fish posted:

This is inevitable for a show with the level of spontaneity that is in Roadkill, and the lack of "seasons" to smooth over busts. They're churning out monthly episodes with nothing for backup when it doesn't work.

I think it's a big testament to Freiburger and Finnegan that the show is anything resembling consistent entertainment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009