Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Man normally I don't like mixing and matching armor but I'll be damned if the Bujabujabu set doesn't look super cool.
Now where the hell do I start finding Might Seeds for my attack gems

Spam the Verdant Hills harvest tour and gather from the plants in the first area.

And agreed on Bujabujabu! I absolutely love the Bulldrome head piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Calaveron posted:

Man normally I don't like mixing and matching armor but I'll be damned if the Bujabujabu set doesn't look super cool.
Now where the hell do I start finding Might Seeds for my attack gems

If you watch the video all your questions would be answered.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
Aren't the MH4U bonus items supposed to check for streetpass data? I sold my copy of MH4U (with the save on card) and I deliberately kept the streetpass data for it untouched but when I tried to get the bonus in Gen the game told me that it couldn't find any save data.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

superstepa posted:

Aren't the MH4U bonus items supposed to check for streetpass data? I sold my copy of MH4U (with the save on card) and I deliberately kept the streetpass data for it untouched but when I tried to get the bonus in Gen the game told me that it couldn't find any save data.

It wants extra data which is something that is created when you first start the game. I'd assume backing up your save data would keep that though.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.
I played for like five hours straight this morning >_< But got the Jaggi pieces for my BuJaBuJaBu set, just need to go find a Bulldrome room to join. But later. When my eyes stop crossing.

Prowler mode is fun, but how do you heal as a Prowler if you aren't running a healcat as your Prowler? One of my two Palico buddies is a healcat but he's been stingy about healing songs.

Also debating going Hammer for a while to beat in some Great Maccao faces for the crest drop.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I feel like trying a new weapon this gen. What style's probably the best for murdering things with the long sword?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

SilverGryphon posted:

I played for like five hours straight this morning >_< But got the Jaggi pieces for my BuJaBuJaBu set, just need to go find a Bulldrome room to join. But later. When my eyes stop crossing.
Honestly, if you upgrade your weapon once or twice, he's not hard to solo. I did it after upgrading my lance once because I was dead-set on having that set complete before I started burning through story.

EDIT: That said you can get screwed by drop rates. Took me like four to get my tusks.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yeah I was just able to solo the Hub 1 Bulldrome with the base Iron Hammer and starter armor, had a couple of close call but still finished it in ~10 minutes. If you bothered to upgrade your armor and weapons at all you'll be OK.

Zerilan posted:

I feel like trying a new weapon this gen. What style's probably the best for murdering things with the long sword?

I had a lot of fun with Adept Long Sword in the demo (having not played LS before) but I know a few people don't like it because you can only level up your Sword gauge off of an Adept dodge, and even then the attack you have to land for the level-up has a somewhat small hitzone. I say go for it regardless.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 16, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Turns out my favorite weapon right now is Bow, of all things. Go figure.

What's a good starter set of armor for Bow to go for? (Or a good bow for that matter)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

And agreed on Bujabujabu! I absolutely love the Bulldrome head piece.

I love the Bulldrome head piece. It looks especially anime badass if you color it red.

I'm gonna make a Ganondorf a la Hyrule Warriors cosplay with it :allears: Dual Blades, of course. Maybe there's a Lance that looks like a trident too?

e: also I just got the best cat armor

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 16, 2016

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.
Oh I'm certain Bulldrome would be a cinch to do solo, but half the fun of this game is going :black101: on monsters with other people.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Is there a resource for Palico/Prowler skills and other stuff? The wiki seemed pretty sparse. Also do boomerang attacks count for elemental/status weapons? I assume so but, well, info is hard to find for the cats!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Oh man the Maccao Charge Blade looks super cool, hopefully it's good because I just forged it

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I got my 3ds grips in! Gotta wait for them to cool off, amazon delivery was good enough to leave the package in the street in front of the mailbox.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Haven't had a ton of time to play this but... Uh, I've played for about two hours and have done exactly zero hunting of monsters. Just some herb and mushroom gathering.

The few times I smacked a lizard with my sword, it degraded almost instantly and took forever to kill.

Yay? I'm not going to give up but right now i have no clue what to do. Perhaps it relies a bit too much on having knowledge from playing previous games.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Nah the beginning sucks if you are focusing village

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Inzombiac posted:

Haven't had a ton of time to play this but... Uh, I've played for about two hours and have done exactly zero hunting of monsters. Just some herb and mushroom gathering.

The few times I smacked a lizard with my sword, it degraded almost instantly and took forever to kill.

Yay? I'm not going to give up but right now i have no clue what to do. Perhaps it relies a bit too much on having knowledge from playing previous games.

I was in the same boat. Never played MH before. You will be slamming your dick in a car door for a couple more hours. It does get better though.

When I did a couple of L2 quests I decided to check out the other villages and things opened up a lot more and I could craft a lot more items which made everything better.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
What grips are recommended for a 3ds btw to feel as playstation controller-ish as possible?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
How long has there been 2 shoulder buttons on the 3ds? I should of looked at the back so long ago! The grip is really good.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Actually, it's right in the quest summary: "I heard Larinoths drop them if you 'interrupt' them while they eat."

I've been playing since Tri and I've never once read them. gently caress me.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
When cats have abilities that require 4 pips of support gauge like the theft boomerang but only have 3 usable, is that something they gain from leveling up or does that require other skills like the one that reduces theft ability cost?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Psychepath posted:

When cats have abilities that require 4 pips of support gauge like the theft boomerang but only have 3 usable, is that something they gain from leveling up or does that require other skills like the one that reduces theft ability cost?

You get more pips as you level

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

These are the sort of games where the beginning tends to be tedious and not great, but it builds up into an absolutely fantastic experience.

I was lucky in that my friends got into the series before I did, so my first experience with the whole system was fighting a giant pink monkey with explosive farts. Having bait like that really helps to push through the tutorial quests.

Quick edit, now that I think about it, my very first kitty cart was from one of those farts.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

So I came into MH4U as a complete newbie and after about a year finally got max rank and finished every mission but 3 or 4 of them.

And then put it down for 6 months. It took a little bit to remember my groove but the stumbling block that was basically every new monster is completely gone and I'm air hammering cephadromes and the boar like they're nothing with my sweet starter armor and a rank 2 petrified hammer. I was wondering if they nerfed the early monsters... but I'm pretty sure the reality is I sucked when I started and all the gear in the world doesn't matter compared to being able to read attack patterns and time your dodges and actually hit the head box instead of the torso for sweet KOs.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

HPanda posted:

These are the sort of games where the beginning tends to be tedious and not great, but it builds up into an absolutely fantastic experience.

I was lucky in that my friends got into the series before I did, so my first experience with the whole system was fighting a giant pink monkey with explosive farts. Having bait like that really helps to push through the tutorial quests.

Quick edit, now that I think about it, my very first kitty cart was from one of those farts.
The MHG village early game is a lot worse than the MH4U village early game I feel. If you don't just power through key-quests (which I don't think the game ever tells you about) a ton of villager requests (which do look important and give concrete rewards) are for small monsters/gathering items. Then there is a lot of village-switching and talking with three game's-worth of NPCs. The Yukumo hotsprings are awful for making you leave and re-enter the village to cycle through the various occupants.

I can't imagine it's much fun for people for whom this is their first MH game. If you are a new player I recommend getting into some multiplayer and hunting some big stuff there, because village is a bunch of variously-named raptors for a little bit.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Relentless posted:

So I came into MH4U as a complete newbie and after about a year finally got max rank and finished every mission but 3 or 4 of them.

And then put it down for 6 months. It took a little bit to remember my groove but the stumbling block that was basically every new monster is completely gone and I'm air hammering cephadromes and the boar like they're nothing with my sweet starter armor and a rank 2 petrified hammer. I was wondering if they nerfed the early monsters... but I'm pretty sure the reality is I sucked when I started and all the gear in the world doesn't matter compared to being able to read attack patterns and time your dodges and actually hit the head box instead of the torso for sweet KOs.

It took me hours to beat the first kut-ku in freedom 2. I know how you feel.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
One of my felynes is extremely enthusiastic about piercing boomerangs for some reason. Every time they use it they talk about how good it is at dealing with multiple monsters.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Man, Prowler really is easy mode for gathering quests-
Infinite stamina
Infinite pickaxes and bug nets
Extra inventory slots since you can't use consumables

I don't think I could ever go back to grinding Gather points as a human. This Transpurrter guy is also a straight baller. Please tell me that's a new thing for this game because why on Earth would they have ever taken it out?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

C-Euro posted:

Infinite stamina

I don't think I could ever go back to grinding Gather points as a human. This Transpurrter guy is also a straight baller. Please tell me that's a new thing for this game because why on Earth would they have ever taken it out?

He was in portable 3rd which was never localized so a lot of people have never seen him but yeah, they took him out in 3U and 4U.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The Transpurrter was one of the guys in MH4U who gave you one of these DLC quest chains

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It's one of those games that benefits immensely from being so charming. Having cute pun-filled cats being your companions was a stroke of genius

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

C-Euro posted:

Infinite stamina

So what you are saying is never gather on the hunter anymore. That sounds pretty good.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

do bows still do ok damage if i run out of coating or am i just hosed in that case?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I made myself a nice hunting horn so I figured it was time for some :sax: but man am I garbage at actually using the horn properly. It's a lot of fun to just use it as a Hammer with a different moveset but actually using the right attacks to pull off songs is super difficult and I can't keep track of what buffs I do and don't have :negative:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

To be clear it's not like it's a slow paced game. Once it gets going it's mostly nonstop big monster hunts. It's just that the beginning really shoves dull gather and small monster quests down your throat.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Tenzarin posted:

So what you are saying is never gather on the hunter anymore. That sounds pretty good.

If you just want to gather and not fight anything then I don't see why you'd roll Hunter to do so. If you're doing it mostly to kill monsters then Hunter becomes a more attractive choice but I'm sure part of that is me not really understanding the Prowler moveset.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Calaveron posted:

It's one of those games that benefits immensely from being so charming. Having cute pun-filled cats being your companions was a stroke of genius

The writing is pretty alright and every time I hear, "Seeeee Yaaaaa!" I get a big smile on my face.

I'm having a real problem actually using my skills, I wish there were another button somewhere to remap at least one of them.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 17, 2016

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

katkillad2 posted:

The writing is pretty alright and every time I hear, "Seeeee Yaaaaa!" I get a big smile on my face.

I thought I wasn't gonna like her as much as the Guildmarm but that line makes me grin far too often, yeah

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is the MHGen DB app still being heavily worked on? Half the things I look up say "Insufficient materials." Like right now, just checking to see where Premium Sashimi is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Tender Bender posted:

To be clear it's not like it's a slow paced game. Once it gets going it's mostly nonstop big monster hunts. It's just that the beginning really shoves dull gather and small monster quests down your throat.

MH games have pretty strong Pokemon syndrome where they have to assume every person is playing it for the first time, but it really bogs the game down for people who have been playing for a long time. I powered through all the key Village Missions in 4U and I'll probably do the same here, but thankfully multiplayer has always gotten right to business.

Ciaphas posted:

do bows still do ok damage if i run out of coating or am i just hosed in that case?

You're still fine but make sure you know what Critical Distance is and that you're always hitting it

• Locked thread