Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Zaggitz posted:

Stranger Things taps into a nostalgic niche that if you aren't a part of, will mean it doesn't resonate with you at all. That's fine, not everything has to be for everybody. As for me though it's probably my second or third favorite things ive seen this year and my favorite thing netflix has put out so far.

If you like 80's Stephen King, Spielberg and John Carpenter poo poo and are on the fence about Stranger Things, jump in, it's fuckin rad.

Stranger Things Only 80s Kids Will Remember

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Sounds interesting, I'll check it out.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Aphrodite posted:

Stranger Things Only 80s Kids Will Remember

At least they get it right. Like I enjoy The Goldbergs but it's inauthentic in that 80s night party theme fetish-type way (or maybe just overly specific to the creator's personal experience). Stranger Things legit takes me back to that time and those movies, but that isn't to say it doesn't stand on its own without that nostalgia because it absolutely does. Also it's nice to have a horror show that doesn't treat its audience like idiots for once.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Watched the first two episodes of Stranger Things. Already my favorite thing Netflix has produced. If it stays this good I'll be very happy.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Alright, Couch Chat, I'm looking into Friday Night Lights. I've heard mostly good things, though I've also heard that there is one truly awful season. What's the general consensus?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Spergatory posted:

Alright, Couch Chat, I'm looking into Friday Night Lights. I've heard mostly good things, though I've also heard that there is one truly awful season. What's the general consensus?

*cracks knuckles* I have this down to a science now.

Season 1 is great though for some people it takes a while to get warmed up. You should be into it well before, but "Mud Bowl" is usually the episode where everyone says "Holy loving poo poo this show is amazing."

Season 2 is the bad season. Short version: The exec who championed the show was booted from NBC, he was replaced with Ben Silverman, who was pretty much 80s Guy from Futurama, they freaked out and tried to write in some buzzy, watercooler plots to draw the ratings. They ranged from "interesting but poorly considered" (a player kills someone in a friend's defense) to "downright loving terrible" (anything with Carlotta or "THE BIGGEST DRUG DEALER IN DILLON"). They start to realize their mistake after about 10-ish episodes, wrap up the bullshit, and get some legit TV produced. Just when they hit a groove, the WGA went on strike and FNL had to wrap with a 15 episode season.

NBC would have shitcanned it there, but they made a Hail Mary deal with DirecTV (which, ironically, Silverman helped arrange) that allowed for one more short season. The writers retconned almost all of Season 2 in a Shield-inspired opening, screamed in each other's faces to psych each other up, and used the short season to deliver a better, tighter show. It did well enough for DirecTV that they ordered two more short seasons; they lucked into casting Michael B. Jordan and went out on loving fire.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

DivisionPost posted:

DivisionPost.txt :getin:

Also I don't know if anyone else remembers this but the way the 2nd season of FNL went off the rails kind of reminds of season 2 of The Good Wife, where the writers experimented with a conspiracy story line (I remember something about a camera on the Floricks front door) only to completely drop it the next season.

I'm sure there's more shows that did stuff like this, I can't think of any other off the top of my head.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 17, 2016

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

DivisionPost posted:

Season 1 is great though for some people it takes a while to get warmed up. You should be into it well before, but "Mud Bowl" is usually the episode where everyone says "Holy loving poo poo this show is amazing."

Season 2 is the bad season. Short version: The exec who championed the show was booted from NBC, he was replaced with Ben Silverman, who was pretty much 80s Guy from Futurama, they freaked out and tried to write in some buzzy, watercooler plots to draw the ratings. They ranged from "interesting but poorly considered" (a player kills someone in a friend's defense) to "downright loving terrible" (anything with Carlotta or "THE BIGGEST DRUG DEALER IN DILLON"). They start to realize their mistake after about 10-ish episodes, wrap up the bullshit, and get some legit TV produced. Just when they hit a groove, the WGA went on strike and FNL had to wrap with a 15 episode season.

NBC would have shitcanned it there, but they made a Hail Mary deal with DirecTV (which, ironically, Silverman helped arrange) that allowed for one more short season. The writers retconned almost all of Season 2 in a Shield-inspired opening, screamed in each other's faces to psych each other up, and used the short season to deliver a better, tighter show. It did well enough for DirecTV that they ordered two more short seasons; they lucked into casting Michael B. Jordan and went out on loving fire.

Welp, that's pretty much exactly what I was looking for, so thanks for that! :)

What's the timeline like? I mean, it's a high school football show-- realistically, we should have a rotating cast of teenagers as they alternately age into and out of high school, assuming that a single season covers an entire school year. The retconning of Season 2 obviously throws a bit of a kink into that, but I guess what I'm really wondering is-- is this a Glee situation (though obviously much better handled) where they go out of their way to keep the same kids long past their sell-by date? Or do they let 'em go when it's time to let 'em go?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They retconned some ages after season 1 to keep characters around a bit longer but it mostly actually has some decent turnover of the team members.

Some of the ones who age out stick around in other roles. Or just remain focused on even though they're not involved with the football team anymore.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 17, 2016

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Spergatory posted:

Welp, that's pretty much exactly what I was looking for, so thanks for that! :)

What's the timeline like? I mean, it's a high school football show-- realistically, we should have a rotating cast of teenagers as they alternately age into and out of high school, assuming that a single season covers an entire school year. The retconning of Season 2 obviously throws a bit of a kink into that, but I guess what I'm really wondering is-- is this a Glee situation (though obviously much better handled) where they go out of their way to keep the same kids long past their sell-by date? Or do they let 'em go when it's time to let 'em go?

There are a couple kids who are seniors in the first season who do make appearances later on in the show but overall FNL does a much better job with the rotating cast of teenagers than Glee ever did.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh man, Big Trouble in Little China episode of TMNT. The ghost of Ho Chan turns three purple dragon thugs into Lightning, Thunder and Wind. And they they have the hats!

Ho Chan needs April for a ritual to become flesh again.

Edit: Ho Chan is voiced by James Hong.

Snak fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jul 17, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
http://i.imgur.com/yq0kgXp.gifv

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

DivisionPost posted:

Good summary, I don't recall any retconning of season 2 though, just a quick explanation of what happened after that season ended and a wrap up of loose ends, and some plot threads were ignored. Retconning implies that things that happened were made not to have happened or happened differently. Maybe i'm remembering it wrong. Heck even Jason's baby from the 80s guy-esque pregnancy plotline showed up later.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I talk about this every chance I get but season 2 of Friday Night Lights is a must-watch. NBC forced them to talk about recycling in one episode and it's shoehorned really badly into the show.

Also the season 2 opener where Landry murders the rapist had a couple different takes. I remember NBC streamed the episode before it aired on their website and in one version he deliberately did it and in another it was an accident.

The only memorable retcons in season 3 are making a few students a year younger and getting rid of all the megachurch bullshit with Lyla.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jul 17, 2016

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

megachurch bullshit with Lyla.

Ahhaha I totally forgot about ultra-religious Lyla

Also season 2 is totally worth it just for Matt's shower scene breakdown. And oddly enough I liked some of the stuff they ended up ignoring for season 3 :(

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Finished watching Gravity Falls today. Man, that show sure got dark by the end.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Well, I'm in the middle of season one and I'm liking it so far! I like the dialogue, with people stammering, correcting themselves, talking over each other, etc. Actual realistic dialogue sounds terrible on tv, but those little touches are just enough to make the dialogue seem realistic while keeping it understandable and keeping the plot moving. It's a far cry from Boyd "Forty :words: where four will do" Crowder, but still compelling.

Characters are generally pretty likable. Matt's my favorite, which is weird, since I usually don't favor the aw-shucks sweetheart types, but something about his perpetual deer-in-the-headlights-in-a-tornado look just speaks to me. Jason Street's slow descent from :911:An American Hero:911: to :emo:gently caress this gay earth and everyone on it:emo: is a beautiful thing to watch. I'm familiar with Adrienne Palicki from Agents of SHIELD, so it's a bit weird to see her in a role where she isn't brutalizing everyone who crosses her. And I'm impressed with Jesse Plemons; talkative, affable Landry is a far cry from from the creepy dead-eyed void that is Todd on Breaking Bad. The only one who isn't really doing anything for me at the moment is Tim, which is weird, as the Netflix thumbnail basically paints him as the face of the show. Maybe he gets better.

EDIT:

muscles like this? posted:

Finished watching Gravity Falls today. Man, that show sure got dark by the end.

The absolute loving bonkers psychosis of Gravity Falls' endgame is one of my favorite parts of the whole experience.

Spergatory fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 17, 2016

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
What the hell is Gravity Falls?

I don't usually watch cartoons. Is it actually for kids, or an adult themed animated show?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's for kids but it owns. Very inspired by Twin Peaks and X-Files

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Spergatory posted:

Well, I'm in the middle of season one and I'm liking it so far! I like the dialogue, with people stammering, correcting themselves, talking over each other, etc. Actual realistic dialogue sounds terrible on tv, but those little touches are just enough to make the dialogue seem realistic while keeping it understandable and keeping the plot moving. It's a far cry from Boyd "Forty :words: where four will do" Crowder, but still compelling.

Characters are generally pretty likable. Matt's my favorite, which is weird, since I usually don't favor the aw-shucks sweetheart types, but something about his perpetual deer-in-the-headlights-in-a-tornado look just speaks to me. Jason Street's slow descent from :911:An American Hero:911: to :emo:gently caress this gay earth and everyone on it:emo: is a beautiful thing to watch. I'm familiar with Adrienne Palicki from Agents of SHIELD, so it's a bit weird to see her in a role where she isn't brutalizing everyone who crosses her. And I'm impressed with Jesse Plemons; talkative, affable Landry is a far cry from from the creepy dead-eyed void that is Todd on Breaking Bad.

A lot of what's surprising about FNL is that some of the most popular actors from that show now tend to play against their types. Plemons is the most popular example, followed by Palicki going from aggressive, insecure hot chick to BAMF. Bloodline, however, has also been leveraging the salt-of-the-earth image that Kyle Chandler built up to phenomenal loving effect. It's interesting watching John Rayburn go to increasingly dark places through that first season before becoming a full-blown James M. Cain protagonist in the second. But if you saw Chandler play the Atticus Finch figure on Friday Night Lights and carried THAT baggage into it, that journey is god damned harrowing.

quote:

The only one who isn't really doing anything for me at the moment is Tim, which is weird, as the Netflix thumbnail basically paints him as the face of the show. Maybe he gets better.

It's not weird at all. First of all, if anyone's the face of the show, it's Coach Taylor. I actually kind of rolled my eyes a bit when I saw the Riggins thumbnail because much more of the show lives and dies on Coach. Second, it took the writers a minute to understand Taylor Kitsch's strengths: the less you give him to say, the more he can do with it. In time he turns out to be a big ol' shaggy dog; he's not all that smart or ambitious, but he's fiercely loyal and he feels deeply. If you're not sold on him by the end of Season 3, you never will be.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tim Riggins would vote Trump. if he could vote.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 17, 2016

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Spergatory posted:

I usually don't favor the aw-shucks sweetheart types , but something about...[it]..just speaks to me.

I haven't watched FNL since it first aired but I actually remember feeling this way about the whole drat show. FNL pulled off wholesome southern white people better than anything else I've seen on TV. It was like Remember the Titans: The TV Show (or FNL: The TV Show :razz:). I remember so many episodes ending with me being blown away and feeling like I'd just watched the ending of Rudy. Even Parenthood's unrelenting wholesomeness started to grate after a while, but FNL's never did. It also didn't hurt that Mrs. Taylor was strangely smoking hot thanks, in no small part, to her pseudo-Keri Russell hair, which is practically a superpower.

Yeah, ok, looks like I know what I'm binging through next.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 17, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

-Blackadder- posted:

What the hell is Gravity Falls?

I don't usually watch cartoons. Is it actually for kids, or an adult themed animated show?

It's kind of hard to pin down like that, if you just look at some of the episodes it looks just like a kids show but when taken as a whole it feels more like an all ages kind of thing. The show definitely gets dark at times, like anything to do with the main villain of the series, an interdimensional monster who goes by Bill Cipher. The show's premise is that 12 year old twins Dipper (Jason Ritter) and Mabel (Kristen Schaal) Pines have been sent to go spend the summer with their great uncle Stan (show creator Alex Hirsch) in the small Oregon town of Gravity Falls. Once there they discover that the town is host to many strange creatures and mysteries, which they spend their summer dealing with.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I gotta say for a kids show there were definitely some really child-murdery dialogue towards the end

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Gravity Falls is great. I've heard it described as Twin Peaks meets X-Files meets the Simpsons, and that rings pretty true from my experience.

The show stands pretty well on it's own, but a lot of the fun when it was airing came from the :iiam:mysteries:iiam:. It does a good job of setting up a lot of questions and laying out subtle clues to the answers. There were ciphers and secret codes, hidden messages in backwards clips of audio, as well as more traditional clues in the plot and artwork of the show and the behaviors of certain characters. It more or less encouraged millions of kids to play Junior Conspiracy Theorist, and is one of the few shows I can think of where people figured out the twist before it happened and were excited rather than bored or disappointed when they turned out to be right. It takes a special kind of show to pull that off, so I wanted to bring it up and recognize it for that. :unsmith:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I love shows where they change the intro for special episodes and Gravity Falls doing that series finale was probably one of my favorite examples. (spoilers obviously)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtlX1pujSr4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLZaFQZzZrM

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Fargo season two is kind of the inverse of season one. It starts of weak and ends really strong.

Stylistically though it's all over the place. It's kind of a mess in the middle of the season.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
"Crucifictorious" :laffo:

Okay, Landry just took the lead in my favorite character category.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Spergatory posted:

"Crucifictorious" :laffo:

Okay, Landry just took the lead in my favorite character category.

That's usually what happens around the time Crucifictorious is introduced.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PriorMarcus posted:

Fargo season two is kind of the inverse of season one. It starts of weak and ends really strong.

Stylistically though it's all over the place. It's kind of a mess in the middle of the season.

The only not good episode of Fargo s2 is the finale, so ???

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Mu Zeta posted:

Tim Riggins would vote Trump. if he could vote.

Another reason to be on #TeamSaracen for life.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

The only not good episode of Fargo s2 is the finale, so ???

Yeah, I just finished it and I actually liked the finale, minus all the callbacks to season one which really weren't needed. I just wish the middle of the series has stuck to one stylistic gimmick and ran with it. There were a few points where it felt like Sherlock - style over substance. In fact, the second to last episode suffered from this too. The narration and the freeze frames. The UFO was great though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
man do I not like that finale. what a kick in the balls.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

man do I not like that finale. what a kick in the balls.

I'd love to hear more about why you feel this way.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
A Korean remake of The Good Wife is currently airing. It follows the original pretty closely, but there are a few differences.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Jason Street: Get away from me, Lyla! I hate you! :byodood:

Jason Street, like two episodes later: I love you, Lyla! Let's get married! :swoon:

These might be the most realistic high schoolers ever put on tv.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PriorMarcus posted:

I'd love to hear more about why you feel this way.

All the character arcs either completely up and poo poo themselves (Hanzee, Hank) or are just super underwhelming (Peggy). The only good one is Mike's and even that was incredibly on-the-nose and something I actually predicted. Lou, in the end, never really grows or changes as a character in any way. And man.....the Hanzee and Hank stuff is just awful.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

THF13 posted:

A Korean remake of The Good Wife is currently airing. It follows the original pretty closely, but there are a few differences.

I would watch this.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Spergatory posted:

I'm sure DP can correct me, but there are also two versions of FNL. I'm not sure if it's the first two seasons, or the last 3 (I think it's the first two) because DirectTV couldn't pay the royalities, but the original soundtrack is dubbed over with generic score. Apparently it's bad. Try and track down the good version.

Also, how loving amazing is Connie Britton. Smoking hot and an awesome actress. I'd love if Tami Taylor existed as a principal/neighborhood mum that helps everybody when I was in high school.

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

THF13 posted:

Seems pretty accurate actually.

• Locked thread