Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
This may be a dumb question (and sorry if so!) but am I right in thinking that I can put any brand of ram in my Lenovo x250? I've struggled to find the spec in the service manual but I can find a bunch of other brand ram which seems to be the right spec based on the 'Lenovo' brand upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Red_Fred posted:

This may be a dumb question (and sorry if so!) but am I right in thinking that I can put any brand of ram in my Lenovo x250? I've struggled to find the spec in the service manual but I can find a bunch of other brand ram which seems to be the right spec based on the 'Lenovo' brand upgrade.

See http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for//thinkpad-x250

Apparently you'll want DDR3L PC3L-12800 i.e. 1600 MHz at 1.35 V.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yes any brand, this is Lenovo's top spec

DDR3L-1600 PC3-12800 1600 MHz

You want to buy one that's specifically 204 pin and/or labeled as SO-DIMM. In the photo it should look short and stubby like a business card, not long like a ruler.

Newegg seems to have them for $25-50, in no particular order I like Samsung, Kensington, Patriot, G.Skill memory but any brand will do.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Yeah so SO-DIMM is 204 pin by specification right?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

No, there are DDR2 and DDR4 SO-DIMMS with a different number of pins. Make sure you get DDR3.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Monolith. posted:

Definitely not WoW but more like TF2. Ill have to talk to my friend tonight to get some more info. I was checking that Barnes and Noble link in the OP and the Y700 was 800ish.

Ah, I just learned about that B&N link recently myself, although I was waiting for the touchscreen-enabled version of the Thinkpad 13 Chromebook to show up before bothering to check the link.

A Y700 with a 960m will be OK; not the best mobile GPU, and not the best thing you can get so close to the 10x0m series launch, but doable. Given that TF2 is a ~9-year-old game, it will run fine on that laptop, and if that's the most demanding game you play then go for it.

Hadlock posted:

Well so far so good on the C201 chromebook. It actually has about 7.5-10 hours of battery life depending on screen brightness etc. I'm a pretty heavy user computationally so I would expect 8+ hours of use at 3/4 brightness.

It's plenty snappy. I would imagine having 4GB vs only 2GB RAM makes a pretty dramatic difference. Keyboard is good for the price class. Screen is about as good as you can expect on a $170 laptop, which isn't mind blowing, but it's perfectly servicable for 99% of the population. I say this being the user of an IPS display PC laptop and 2015 Macbook Pro.

No issues doing video playback, either Youtube or Netflix. Facebook, Chrome etc work fine and I'd say it's at least 90% as snappy as my 2012/3 era i5 laptop with 8GB RAM.

The trackpad is super responsive. Scrolling, mouse movement etc feels really good. The click is about 50% heavier than I'd like, but I'm probably biased having used the Apple Force Touch trackpad for about 8 months now.

Developer mode is pretty easy to get setup, as is installing crouton. I'm using it to work on my Golang side project.

Case/frame/build quality is good for the price. The only thing that worries me is that the soft rubber foot pads are going to wear out within a year. At $170 I expect to replace the chromebook with a new model in ~18 months anyways.

grade:
as a full time replacement laptop: 6.5/10
as a "loving around online sitting on the couch" device: 9/10

Good choice, especially for the price. The C201 is basically the non-convertible version of the Flip. 2 GB of RAM is doable if you restrict yourself to no more then a handful of tabs, but otherwise I strongly, strongly, strongly recommend 4 GB at a minimum. The Chromebook I'm using to type this right now has 16 GB of RAM, to illustrate how serious I am about this topic! :) The Rockchip is surprisingly snappy for what you might expect; it's also in the Haier/Hisense Chromebooks and the Chromebit, among others.

Chromebooks' touchpads are all engineered to work that way; they're all great to use, although there are physical differences between them (some have nice, smooth, glass panels like this one, others use rough cheap plastic.)

I'm going to work on a Chromebook megathread at some point.

Red_Fred posted:

As others have said, "brand" doesn't matter, match the specs, but keep in mind that even if you get the right modules, some aren't compatible in all systems. This isn't something you'll run into too much, it's just a possibility. You'll generally have better luck if you get a matched pair, but if you just add in another module keep an eye out for system instability. It'll most likely be fine though.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Having a hard time deciding between these two refurbished T430's:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834331716&ignorebbr=1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834331719&ignorebbr=1

The listed specs are identical, but neither of them specify the max resolution. From what I've garnered it could be either 1366x768 or 1600x900. Lenovo rep I chatted with via the site said there's no way for him to tell.

One says it is "Grade A" and "Refurbished". It carries a 90-day warranty, and from speaking with the rep "Grade A" indicates it is free from cosmetic damage.

The other says it is "Microsoft Authorized Refurbished". This one has a 1-year warranty, but makes no claims as to cosmetic condition.

I am not in the habit of buying refurbished items, but I'm trying to pick up a decent laptop for my wife on the cheap. Which way do I go here?

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Gray Matter posted:

The listed specs are identical, but neither of them specify the max resolution. From what I've garnered it could be either 1366x768 or 1600x900. Lenovo rep I chatted with via the site said there's no way for him to tell.
Which way do I go here?
Elsewhere, somewhere where they do tell you it's 1600x900.
1366x768 is just a horrible experience.
And if they don't tell you up front, it's almost certainly 1366x768.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Gray Matter posted:

Having a hard time deciding between these two refurbished T430's:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834331716&ignorebbr=1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834331719&ignorebbr=1

One says it is "Grade A" and "Refurbished". It carries a 90-day warranty, and from speaking with the rep "Grade A" indicates it is free from cosmetic damage.

The other says it is "Microsoft Authorized Refurbished". This one has a 1-year warranty, but makes no claims as to cosmetic condition.

I am not in the habit of buying refurbished items, but I'm trying to pick up a decent laptop for my wife on the cheap. Which way do I go here?

Refurbs are fine, they'll have a little wear and tear but not enough to make a difference. If you actually did get something full of cat hair or covered in coffee/pop/whatever then you can just exchange it right away (or get a refund if they have no more.)

I'd like to be able to tell you that the slightly more expensive one might have the higher-res display, but to be on the safe side assume both are just HD.

The "MS-refurbished" one has the same warranty info (90 days) as the other one, so I'm not sure where you got 1 year. If that was the case then I'd tell you that for peace of mind the extra $15 is probably worth the extra warranty period. As it stands, one of the questions answered by a customer states they received one with the higher-res display, so you could consider taking a gamble on this one for that reason alone.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I've been recommending refurb units from eBay for a long time, eBay will give you the resellers feedback rating down to a hundredth of a percent; those sellers do hundreds of transactions a year and have a huge incentive to keep their record spotless: so far nobody in this thread that has bought from eBay has had a problem.

Most Thinkpad refurb units look drat near brand new. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Always get the higher resolution screen if you can.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Atomizer posted:

The "MS-refurbished" one has the same warranty info (90 days) as the other one, so I'm not sure where you got 1 year. If that was the case then I'd tell you that for peace of mind the extra $15 is probably worth the extra warranty period. As it stands, one of the questions answered by a customer states they received one with the higher-res display, so you could consider taking a gamble on this one for that reason alone.
The warranty tab on the item page does say 90-day, but clicking the "Microsoft Authorized Refurbished" link under the item title goes to a page showing a 1-year warranty for all MAR machines, and I clarified this with the Lenovo rep. Ended up going with this one after searching eBay and not finding anything in a convincingly good enough condition or price difference to switch from Newegg. Here's hoping the chassis is in good shape :toot:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is a question I didn't necessarily see covered in the OP...

I'd really like a convertible Tablet / Laptop to replace my current 3 year old Ideapad (which is sort of showing its age and is also bulkier than I'd like).

I'm looking for something fairly middle of the road, with Photoshop being about as much processing power as I'd ever need. Playing some simple games on Steam would also be nice, but it would likely be stuff like Stardew Valley, and probably not anything graphic intensive.

My priorities are:
> High end price point of 650. Ideally closer to 500.
> Fast and stable. A SSD might be cool, but I think that may be too expensive.
> Decent storage space, but 500GB would probably be adequate.
> Solid construction. I'm interested in the Surface, but I actually really hate typing on the cover keyboard, so I think that rules that out.
> A stylus would be a huge plus.

I bought my current laptop because it was on sale for a decent price at a retail location, and my then-laptop was dying. I'd like to put more effort into buying my next machine, including getting a good price on it. With the above in mind, what would you all recommend in terms of looking for deals? Are there any late model 2015 systems I should be keeping my eyes peeled for that would hit those points above?

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

When you say you want a laptop/tablet hybrid but then say you hate the surface...

I'd strongly recommend getting a laptop with a SSD. Especially if you're going to be doing anything with photoshop. Size is more expensive with SSDs, but external storage is cheap and very easily managed (plug and play).

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Have you tried the new surface keyboards? I really like them. I have the surfacebook if you have questions.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

What do you guys think about this NewEgg open box deal?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154242R

I would be using it for regular boring laptop stuff and some gaming (Overwatch and maybe a few other new-ish games - I don't need to run things on SUPER ULTRA MAX settings though)

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rurutia posted:

Have you tried the new surface keyboards? I really like them. I have the surfacebook if you have questions.

I've tried some display models of the Surface 4, and I like them better than the previous model, but still not as much as a full keyboard. Are there third party keyboards that are better?

Otherwise, the Surface hits a lot of what I'm looking for, although the specs I'd really like are above my pricepoint. If the keyboard were better, it could possibly be worth waiting for whenever the current models start discounting.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

sector_corrector posted:

I've tried some display models of the Surface 4, and I like them better than the previous model, but still not as much as a full keyboard. Are there third party keyboards that are better?

Otherwise, the Surface hits a lot of what I'm looking for, although the specs I'd really like are above my pricepoint. If the keyboard were better, it could possibly be worth waiting for whenever the current models start discounting.

The Surfacebook is a normal laptop style keyboard. You're going to pay more for the build quality and the very fact it's a convertible, unfortunately.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Ehud posted:

I would be using it for regular boring laptop stuff and some gaming (Overwatch and maybe a few other new-ish games - I don't need to run things on SUPER ULTRA MAX settings though)

Holy poo poo that's a fantastic deal. Hop right on that, that's probably a better value proposition than waiting till september.

Like that's easily $350 less than i've ever seen a laptop with a 970m.

you'll prolly want to replace the SSD with a bigger drive though

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Haha I waited too long. Out of stock.

Oh well.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Not a fan of newegg open box items.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Bob Morales posted:

Not a fan of newegg open box items.

Bad experiences?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ehud posted:

Bad experiences?

You just end up doing their QC. Only ordered components, not laptops though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

sector_corrector posted:

This is a question I didn't necessarily see covered in the OP...

I'd really like a convertible Tablet / Laptop to replace my current 3 year old Ideapad (which is sort of showing its age and is also bulkier than I'd like).

I'm looking for something fairly middle of the road, with Photoshop being about as much processing power as I'd ever need. Playing some simple games on Steam would also be nice, but it would likely be stuff like Stardew Valley, and probably not anything graphic intensive.

My priorities are:
> High end price point of 650. Ideally closer to 500.
> Fast and stable. A SSD might be cool, but I think that may be too expensive.
> Decent storage space, but 500GB would probably be adequate.
> Solid construction. I'm interested in the Surface, but I actually really hate typing on the cover keyboard, so I think that rules that out.
> A stylus would be a huge plus.

I bought my current laptop because it was on sale for a decent price at a retail location, and my then-laptop was dying. I'd like to put more effort into buying my next machine, including getting a good price on it. With the above in mind, what would you all recommend in terms of looking for deals? Are there any late model 2015 systems I should be keeping my eyes peeled for that would hit those points above?

Thinkpad Yoga 12, refurbished from the outlet store?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hadlock posted:

Thinkpad Yoga 12, refurbished from the outlet store?

I was considering one of those on a Woot deal, and the reviews made me hesitate on it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That's been my buddy's primary laptop traveling around South America, and now his job is in SF and his wife is in Colombia so he's traveling internationally with it once a month with no issues for 18 months now.

There's some ghosting on the display when transitioning from flat white windows to dark gray, but you have to really look for it.

If I needed a replacement laptop I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

For all I know there's a million models of these, and the 10x0 cards are a bit off so maybe this is too vague, but I've been browsing around. It seems like most of the Acer Predators and a bunch of MSI laptops have what I want (minus the not-out-yet graphics card) and the ones with a 970 seem to be generally around $1600. Are they generally good? Is there something else around that price range I should be looking at? I see on MSI's website there's a bunch of g-whatever lines, what's the one I'm probably shooting for at that price point if I want something with a 6th gen i7 and a 1070 (that's what I want for a processor right if I want a generally bitchin' laptop?) Any other factors to consider other than battery life and I guess ram? (Which actually. This doesn't have to be a "gaming laptop" but anything with that graphics card is gonna be or might as will be and will have poo poo battery life, right?)

And the 10x0 cards really are probably coming out in September right? Excluding that $2000 late August laptop? Hopefully early September? I am not a patient person.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Ehud posted:

How much was this going for?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Atomizer posted:

How much was this going for?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

BrainDance posted:

For all I know there's a million models of these, and the 10x0 cards are a bit off so maybe this is too vague, but I've been browsing around. It seems like most of the Acer Predators and a bunch of MSI laptops have what I want (minus the not-out-yet graphics card) and the ones with a 970 seem to be generally around $1600. Are they generally good? Is there something else around that price range I should be looking at? I see on MSI's website there's a bunch of g-whatever lines, what's the one I'm probably shooting for at that price point if I want something with a 6th gen i7 and a 1070 (that's what I want for a processor right if I want a generally bitchin' laptop?) Any other factors to consider other than battery life and I guess ram? (Which actually. This doesn't have to be a "gaming laptop" but anything with that graphics card is gonna be or might as will be and will have poo poo battery life, right?)

And the 10x0 cards really are probably coming out in September right? Excluding that $2000 late August laptop? Hopefully early September? I am not a patient person.

Basically you want a laptop with a 1070m, a quad core i7 (which you basically don't have to worry about). Those will probably start showing up in mid-late September, but as with everything, it depends on a lot.

$1600 or so is probably reasonable for early models, but that might vary by a few hundred or so. You'll want a 15 inch laptop too, not a 17inch behemoth.

battery life will probably be in the 2-3 hour range, but that will likely improve considering the degree that Pascal shrunk the thermal envelope of its graphics cards.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

BrainDance posted:

I picked up an MSI GS60 15.6" Broadwell I7 5XXX HQ last year with a 970M for $1600 and it's genuinely excellent. It's a plastic chassis with metal plating on it, and battery life sucks, but it's played all my games impeccably (even Witcher 3 @1080p) with no issues. Outside of Overwatch and Destiny, it's my PS4 replacement and I really dig it. Couldn't be happier!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I found this today:

https://www.chromebookchart.com/

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Here's a couple more:

http://www.chromepare.com/
https://www.starryhope.com/chromebooks/chromebook-comparison-chart/

Really, the only ChromeOS buying advice you need is this: Get a Celeron-U and 4 GB of RAM. Everything else is gravy.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I've been scouring eBay and found something I might buy. Looking for that sweet goon blessing since I haven't spent much time researching laptops.

Again, this is for some basic gaming (mainly Overwatch) and regular ole laptop stuff, remoting in to work from time to time, etc.

MSI GS70 2QE Stealth Pro-099 17.3"

Specs:
Intel Core i7-4710HQ Processor 2.5GHz
Microsoft Windows 10
16GB DDR3L-1600 RAM
1TB 7,200RPM Hard Drive
128GB Solid State Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M

I can get it for $850.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Make sure it has an IPS screen and get a Samsung 850 Evo SSD to replace the HDD. You will be very happy. That's a hell of a deal.

Do you have a link to it? If they have a bunch, I'll send it to my roommate. He needs a new computer.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

NewFatMike posted:

Make sure it has an IPS screen and get a Samsung 850 Evo SSD to replace the HDD. You will be very happy. That's a hell of a deal.

Do you have a link to it? If they have a bunch, I'll send it to my roommate. He needs a new computer.

It's a one off eBay listing. I went ahead and bought it. We'll see if it's just a scam :ohdear:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I've got my fingers crossed for you! Send along a trip report!

I also found that having a $15 cooling pad from Amazon works wonders. Nary a peep from anything. I don't even remember anything in MGSV slowing down for an instant, although the Fox Engine is a masterpiece.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Shopping around for a decent laptop for a cousin who is going off to college in the fall and came across this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Lenovo-...icep&rmvSB=true

Would this be suitable for your basic college student writing papers, watching videos, etc? Ideally this thing would last 2-3 years until we can scrap enough cash together to get something newer and better.

sports
Sep 1, 2012

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Shopping around for a decent laptop for a cousin who is going off to college in the fall and came across this:

Would this be suitable for your basic college student writing papers, watching videos, etc? Ideally this thing would last 2-3 years until we can scrap enough cash together to get something newer and better.

I'd go with the 13" MBA. It's got the most battery life, and totally demolishes any Windows laptop on streaming video efficiency (from my experience as a 4-year student with one). It's really nice. Mine has been repaired easily for less than $20 a pop, and all of my Computer Science friends have one for hackathons. It's unbeatable- I'm planning on keeping mine for 8 more years, or, whenever I get my doctorate in electrical engineering.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

It has a 500 gig HDD. Either buy it and replace with your own SSD (which are dirt cheap these days) or find something with a solid state drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

sports posted:

I'd go with the 13" MBA. It's got the most battery life, and totally demolishes any Windows laptop on streaming video efficiency (from my experience as a 4-year student with one). It's really nice. Mine has been repaired easily for less than $20 a pop, and all of my Computer Science friends have one for hackathons. It's unbeatable- I'm planning on keeping mine for 8 more years, or, whenever I get my doctorate in electrical engineering.

He posted a 400$ laptop and said it would be used until more cash could be scraped together. Obviously the MBA is better, but it's also 2.5x the price.

Btw, that Lenovo will be fine for what you posted, but its build quality is most likely a plasticky POS