Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Any tips on playing aerial SA? Should I just be spamming my aerial stacks in sword mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
^^^ yeah, since the jump part itself in sword mode does damage, then when you attack on the downswing you get a damage buff and you start the big chainsaw power move thing

Mortimer posted:

why use a shield?
when should I be using my phials?

how is that 'the farthest thing from confusing' when weapons like hammer are "hold r, press x three times"

The shield provides a big defense buff and the damage boost from the charged swing is negligible.

Charged blade is stupid easy but maybe I just like complex weapons because GS and hammer bore the hell out of me

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Long sword is still stylish as hell. I'm glad they brought back the "sheathing my Hanzo steel" animation when you finish your spirit combo

You also sheath your immaculate Hanzo Blade after the Sakura Slash hunter art. Longsword is rapidly catching up in the "most anime weapon" race, except that Greatsword has at least 2 hunter arts that straight-up turn you into Guts from Berserk.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Charged blade is stupid easy

I don't think this is helping explain how the weapon works to the person that doesn't know how the weapon works.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Etrips posted:

Any tips on playing aerial SA? Should I just be spamming my aerial stacks in sword mode?

Yes, the aerial attacks in aerial style are all the strongest you have (except for DB where they are more for just keeping glued to the monster and mounting) so you should be using them at every possible opportunity

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

The charge blade is like the farthest thing from "confusing" you can get. Charge phials, store phials, put phials in shield.

Hammer:
  • Hit things with it
  • Aim for the head

Charge Blade:

The weapon has two modes; one is a sword & shield which gives you mobility and the ability to block, the other is a slow-moving powerhouse axe mode.[1] In the sword mode, your attacks build up "charge" which you must then spend to fill "phials".[2] If you don't fill them, you will overcharge and all your attacks will bounce. Once you have filled your phials, you can spend them in the axe mode by using your A-button attacks or you can transfer them another step, this time into your shield. When you transfer them into your shield, you will gain additional blocking power while in sword mode and additional damage while in axe mode.[3] Once you have charged your shield you can start building phials again in sword mode and spend them in your now-empowered axe mode for massive damage.[citation needed] Furthermore..

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

I'm regretting my OCD like tendencies to finish every two star village quest. So much gathering and killing small monsters. And hunting nothing but Dromes...At least I have a box full of supplies now.

It is rough. There are so many drat quests too! Once you unlock three star, which I just did this morning, having done all the 2 star ones unlocks a whole slew of new quests and requests to burn through again. Still gonna do'em all though.

Especially since the new visitors include the Guildmarm, who is perfect.

\/ EDIT: The Charge Blade video is actually 20+ minutes long. I watched it all, then decided to go ahead and keep not using it. It's an awesome weapon and I give props to those who can handle it, I just prefer less complex weapons because I'm bad at remembering combos. Lance 4 lyfe.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 18, 2016

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Then go watch a ten minute gaijinhunter video, poo poo

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

it's so easy you have to watch a ten minute video to figure it out

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Yes?

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Oh, oops, it turns out the reason I did so lovely with Switch Axe is because I used Charge Blade in 4 and mixed up the two.

I was wondering why I couldn't get my phials to fill.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

It is rough. There are so many drat quests too! Once you unlock three star, which I just did this morning, having done all the 2 star ones unlocks a whole slew of new quests and requests to burn through again. Still gonna do'em all though.

Especially since the new visitors include the Guildmarm, who is perfect.

I just finished all of the 3 star quests. I've literally been playing just about every waking moment since the game came out :shepicide:

I've done a good bit of fashion farming too though, but still. There are so many quests.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Mortimer posted:

it's so easy you have to watch a ten minute video to figure it out

All of the weapon videos are 10 minutes. It's because he takes the time to go over the motion values of every attack, and the differences between all the hunting Styles. CB has like 2 combos, one in each form. You can play it defensively like I did, mostly in sword form and Guard Pointing to block attacks in the middle of my combos, or you can play it offensively by charging red mode, refilling phials, and then going mostly into axe mode for elevated damage.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

are you a gamefaqs poster who stumbled onto the wrong board or can you actually not see how charge blade is really complicated

I like lance and hammer and GS because they are simple, effective, and fun.

I like HBG and bow a lot because sharpness is lame

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012
I wish I could find the Hori Original 3DS shoulder slidepad thing, the only places that have it want crazy prices.

oh well.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
It loving isn't complicated. You literally have two combos per mode and you charge the phials to add more damage. That's it.

No weapon in this game is complicated provided you do a training quest and go kill great maccao a couple times

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Another thing is the Greatsword has always fascinated me and I always use it for a bit in every game out of curiosity. The concept of charging and landing a hit juuust right feels amazing when I can pull it off, but otherwise the weapon's slowness makes me feel like it requires me to already know all of the ins and outs of a monster to use effectively

but i'm probably just bad though.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

As good as sword mode is for SA, I still prefer to chug a mega dash juice and just chop my way to victory on downed mons.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
You don't need to know poo poo if you use it online that's the best part of GS

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

PathAsc posted:

As good as sword mode is for SA, I still prefer to chug a mega dash juice and just chop my way to victory on downed mons.

The x,a,x,a etc combo in axe mode does a ton of damage if you position diagonal on a downed dude, it's great.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

gigawhite posted:

Aerial style has made DB something I actually enjoy playing instead of something I try and give up on almost immediately.

Aerial DB with the right hunter arts and armor skills basically turns you into an anime. Chumps be on the ground charging up attacks while you be zipping all over the mon like a humming bird on crack

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

It loving isn't complicated. You literally have two combos per mode and you charge the phials to add more damage. That's it.

No weapon in this game is complicated provided you do a training quest and go kill great maccao a couple times

I guess button wise the CB is a bit overwrought at this point. Like having to cancel the ultra into a super is kinda dumb when the ultra isn't very great. Having to switch to Axe and then X+A into R to go red shield instead of the old method (which is now yellow shield Zzz) also dumb

But yeah the combo strings are all very simple. Hold A, hit, push X now hold A. Got red? Great R+A now hold A and push A a bunch. Hell you don't even need to ever super to be good since the second A attack is so good

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Geez you're both right. No, CB isn't that difficult, but he's right that relative to other weapons in the game it certainly is. Especially when there are guard points to consider. You have to utilize them to get the weapon to its full potential.

There's a certain flow to the weapon that takes a while to get.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
What the balls is even a 'super' or an 'ultra' in a game where no weapons adhere to such a concept?

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

^^^

There are weapons I don't know how to use and the entry curve seems kind of intimidating like Hunting Horn or HBG but yeah this sums up how I feel about all the weapons in MH and why the game is fun. There's nothing stopping you from trying out something new.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Gaijinhunter's videos are alright but I find the in game instructions to be pretty drat lacking

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

NT Plus posted:

What the balls is even a 'super' or an 'ultra' in a game where no weapons adhere to such a concept?

I think the names are all coming from translations of JP guidebooks. The super is the third A in CB axe mode when you have phials but no shield (or have shield but hit back+X to cancel the ultra); uses one phial. The ultra is the same attack when you have a charged shield and phials; literally everything gets expended on this one, and (in this game) that isn't great value.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

voltcatfish posted:

Another thing is the Greatsword has always fascinated me and I always use it for a bit in every game out of curiosity. The concept of charging and landing a hit juuust right feels amazing when I can pull it off, but otherwise the weapon's slowness makes me feel like it requires me to already know all of the ins and outs of a monster to use effectively

but i'm probably just bad though.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel about the Great Sword too (also the last part). The Hammer is also a weapon that benefits greatly from knowledge of the enemy patterns (at this point I can melt a Gypceros with my hammer), but when you're going in blind at least you have mobility and the ability to exhaust enemies just by hitting them. The Great Sword feels more like "git gud or die" :iiam:

Also I'm not really a huge fan of swords, but there are a few pretty sweet designs for GS in Generations.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
They are called elemental discharges in game. Aed for Amped, Ued for ultra.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

NT Plus posted:

Super Amped Elemental Discharge and Ultra Amped Elemental Discharge, I believe. Super is when you do it a charged (blinky) shield/axe, and only uses one phial. Ultra is the same move, but charged, and it empties all your phials into the monster and un-charges your shield. If you have impact phials, this can often KO the monster (or at least that was the case in MH4U).

Edit: I think Rascyc is right. It doesn't matter. It's the third hit in Axe's A combo, or just hitting X+A in axe form.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I only use difficult weapons. I am a master hunter

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Your Computer posted:

This is pretty much exactly how I feel about the Great Sword too (also the last part). The Hammer is also a weapon that benefits greatly from knowledge of the enemy patterns (at this point I can melt a Gypceros with my hammer), but when you're going in blind at least you have mobility and the ability to exhaust enemies just by hitting them. The Great Sword feels more like "git gud or die" :iiam:

Also I'm not really a huge fan of swords, but there are a few pretty sweet designs for GS in Generations.

You don't always need to do charge attack with GS. Just a simple draw attack or level 1 charge does a decent amount of damage. Especially with crit draw. You should do a ton of those when you're first starting out. Otherwise you'll just get wrecked in the middle of charging.

Once you start figuring out the monster patterns you can get off those level three charges more constantly. Also, focus and quick sheathe really help it not feel so clunky and slow.

Bananasaurus Rex fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 18, 2016

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Yeah I think Greatsword might just be affected the most by all of the weapons being poo poo in the early game as far as sharpness levels and damage go. It's probably great once you get on and also get those Armor Skills.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

So I think I have Bows and HBGs down in aerial form. For Aerial Bows, do I just make sure I have power coats on always? And for Aerial HBGs, do I tripleshot into siege mode or is that a bad idea.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I like that the gamefaq posters still visit this thread. never change you crazy people you

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Then go watch a ten minute gaijinhunter video, poo poo

lol

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Drythe posted:

I like that the gamefaq posters still visit this thread. never change you crazy people you

What defines the "gamefaq" poster? Never been there save to find numbers like motion values for FU.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

So far I'm 3 for 4 in these "you're not supposed to fight this monster yet" quests (Glavenus super telegraphed 1-shot tail spin attack :arghfist::saddowns:)

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Hypha posted:

What defines the "gamefaq" poster? Never been there save to find numbers like motion values for FU.

See man sperging out over how someone may not want to watch a 10 minute video over how to play a video game.

also

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
They will have arguments over the dumbest things. It really is awful.

That being said, searching the GameFaqs message boards for something you need to find is super useful. It's how I managed to do that ancient berry quest. Should really pay more attention to those quest descriptions sometimes...

• Locked thread