Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Three-Phase posted:

I just wanted to take a moment to say the unless you're in an explosion proof area that brushless exciters on large synchronous motors (>1000Hp and voltages >600v) are a tool of the devil.

Constant. Tension. Brush. Holders. Plus routine inspection and cleaning by qualified personnel. And making sure that the carbon brushes are cut in to give good surface contract with the slip rings.

Maintenance wise it is a pretty dull job taking care of them despite the name.

Brush gear is a fun weekly job. When our units are loaded there is about 2800 A flowing though those rings. Works out to around 60 A per brush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
The most broken down car I've seen on the side of the road.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

StormDrain posted:

Impressive, that looks like the front output on the transfer case facing backwards. That probably made a hell of a noise.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I think that's the rear output but I could be wrong. Looks like the transmission crossmember failed and everything flopped down.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
When I was a kid I was riding with my dad in his hilux down a dirt road when the driveshaft let go of the transmission and the rear end of the truck did a credible pole vault.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

kastein posted:

I think that's the rear output but I could be wrong. Looks like the transmission crossmember failed and everything flopped down.

At first I thought the part sticking down looked like the part that sticks off to the side to provide the front drive, but now after digging up a pic of a BW1354 it looks like the input shaft area just gave up and the whole thing is in fact being held in place by the front driveshaft.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Not quite a horrible mechanical failure but probably a lap or two away from becoming one.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=36c_1468471849

Short 'n' sweet.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

wolrah posted:

At first I thought the part sticking down looked like the part that sticks off to the side to provide the front drive, but now after digging up a pic of a BW1354 it looks like the input shaft area just gave up and the whole thing is in fact being held in place by the front driveshaft.

Holy poo poo, yeah. That's not gone well at all. Looks like the transmission extension housing snapped off just forward of the flange that attaches it to the transfer case :stonk: (pictured on the right side of your photo with 90K TESTED written on it)

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Man for a brief moment that fool was majestic

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

SAIL!

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

StormDrain posted:

kastein posted:

:gonk: Explorer

When I was building transmissions I saw a few failures like this. 99% time they came in on the hook fresh from whatever mud bog the driver was plowing through for kicks. So completely encased in mud.

In the postmortem the case usually just ahead of the transfer case adapter and the bell housing were both broken. This can cause a lot of, "how is all that broken poo poo even sitting at that angle?" moments.

But never on an explorer. Why? How? Who would even do this?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The first and second gen explorers are gaining popularity. It's weird and :psyduck:

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Still less puzzling than peoples' affection for Vanagons.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
A Vanagon is the original VW bus, but "80s-fied" from the ground up. lovely vacuum and emissions systems, square plastic grilles that don't do anything, Atari-style wood paneling, high-profile tires, and a propensity for rolling over. Peak malaise.

Further advancements in technology meant that all but the last feature was bred out before the Explorer was released into the unsuspecting public.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Geirskogul posted:

The first and second gen explorers are gaining popularity. It's weird and :psyduck:

They're cheap and can be hillbilly hosed into something that can wheel cheaply. Not too surprising.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Geirskogul posted:

Jurassic Park nostalgia?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

More photos here

quote:

I built this aerodynamic modification for a Nissan Versa. It improved gas mileage from about 40 mpg to 55 mpg. It attracted a lot of attention on the road. I was going to drive the car to northern Quebec to Hudsons Bay. On the way, I was testing the mpg at 85 mph, and passed a truck north of Howard City, MI. The wind buffeted the car and somehow the tail exploded with a bang and was ripped off the car, along with the electric wiring and my license plate. I tried to go back and find it but it was gone. Since I had no license plate, I could not go to Canada and went back home.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
A few pages ago? Or from the auto thread?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Geirskogul posted:

A few pages ago? Or from the auto thread?

Sorry if it’s been in this thread recently. I came across it while browsing http://reddit.com/r/diwhy/top.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So do they not get a trunk anymore?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
You think a hypermiler slash versa owner knows or cares about things like "functionality" or "day-to-day usability"?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How can they be a hypermiler when they still have side mirrors on and haven't taped up the panel gaps?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

All I need to know about hypermilers I learned when I read a post from someone who suggested that, when parking your car, you shouldn't stop at the first/most convenient parking space you come to, but coast around the lot in neutral until you slow down to bleed off that extra gasoline-energy you'd already burned. Then you line up with a space and kill the engine, hopefully coasting to a stop in the space without using the brakes. If you had to use the brakes, it means you didn't coast far enough earlier, and gave up some precious "mileage!"

Because, you see, it's not actually about saving gas, but growing that miles per gallon number by any means possible.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

If they really care so much about using less gas, they should just stop driving so drat much.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hey hypermilers: you’re being passed by an electric car that uses no gas at all.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I hypermile my Jeep by drafting tractor trailers before I pass them. Probably got as high as 20 mpg!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

All I need to know about hypermilers I learned when I read a post from someone who suggested that, when parking your car, you shouldn't stop at the first/most convenient parking space you come to, but coast around the lot in neutral until you slow down to bleed off that extra gasoline-energy you'd already burned. Then you line up with a space and kill the engine, hopefully coasting to a stop in the space without using the brakes. If you had to use the brakes, it means you didn't coast far enough earlier, and gave up some precious "mileage!"

Because, you see, it's not actually about saving gas, but growing that miles per gallon number by any means possible.

To be fair to the hypermorons, the original, useful advice is to coast to the highest point possible (because parking lots are often times not completely flat...?) as to convert kinetic energy to potential energy.

Still dumb.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

I actually did this a lot when I still had my bug, the last quarter mile or so of my commute was super predictable and had zero traffic so I'd just kill the engine and drop it into neutral. I wasn't trying to save gas though, I just thought it was fun to see if I could find a spot before I ran out of momentum.

Now my prius does it for me automatically even if it's in gear. Technology wins!

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

This sound majestic and I hope to witness this once in my life.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I sometimes coast into my spot from the entrance of the parking lot just to see if I can start with exactly the speed I need to land perfectly in the spot without putting it back in gear or using the brakes, but only if no one's behind me and I feel like it.

Occasionally I also leave the tollbooths on the way to work in neutral, rolling downhill, because there's a traffic jam where it goes from 8 booths to 2 lanes and everyone's being an insufferable dicklord, so it makes it all the more amusing to simply manage my momentum and glide in in front of someone effortlessly without even being in gear while they alternately slam the gas and brake to try to prevent me merging because how dare I get in front of them instead of behind them :v:

On the horrible mechanical failures front, however... I'm going to have to tear down my old 5MT from the Forester when it comes out sometime this week. Fourth is 100% gone for acceleration (it just makes ratchety noises over 10% throttle even when you hold the shifter back hard), only stays in gear for engine braking for 30 seconds or so, fifth pops out of gear about every ten miles on the highway, and 1-3 are making a loud raspy rushing noise, second also has a rhythmic clickclickclickclick overlaid over it. Betting that the dog teeth are about blown off of the 4th gear hub, fifth is worn badly enough that the back-cut on the dog teeth is mostly gone, most of the bearings are likely trash, and second is probably missing some tooth chunks or a whole tooth to sound like this.

e:

kastein fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 19, 2016

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Truly the happiest mechanical failure.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
When I lived up in the mountains in Colorado, I'd shut my car off at the top of this HUGE hill leading into the next town. This was about 3.5 miles. There were 5 traffic lights in the town. If they were all green, I could easily coast all the way to the other side of the town.
I only actually did it twice, despite trying every week day for two years. It was all more about the traffic lights rather than MPGs.

Another good one is when you drive down Pikes Peak. The downhill from the summit is rather steep. They stop you part way down to make sure your brakes are okay by measuring them with an IR thermometer. If you're over 300F they make you stop for one hour. My temperature last time? 60F - I only had to use the brakes once. Everything else was engine-off engine braking. What did I get? A pack of smarties from the ranger. OH YEAH!

(Fluke actually uses the Pikes Peak brake check as a case study for their IR thermometers on their website)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mr. Yuk means “NO”.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

0toShifty posted:

When I lived up in the mountains in Colorado, I'd shut my car off at the top of this HUGE hill leading into the next town. This was about 3.5 miles. There were 5 traffic lights in the town. If they were all green, I could easily coast all the way to the other side of the town.
I only actually did it twice, despite trying every week day for two years. It was all more about the traffic lights rather than MPGs.

Another good one is when you drive down Pikes Peak. The downhill from the summit is rather steep. They stop you part way down to make sure your brakes are okay by measuring them with an IR thermometer. If you're over 300F they make you stop for one hour. My temperature last time? 60F - I only had to use the brakes once. Everything else was engine-off engine braking. What did I get? A pack of smarties from the ranger. OH YEAH!

(Fluke actually uses the Pikes Peak brake check as a case study for their IR thermometers on their website)

When I was 14 I had a hardship license and a 25 mile commute to high school. I did a lot of dumb poo poo but was a pretty experienced driver by the time my peers all got licenses 2 years later.

One day my LeCar was exactly halfway between podunk and nowheresville with the gas gauge showing half a tank when I ran out of gas. After a particularly brutal soccer practice that afternoon I still had no option but to lace back up my running shoes and flip a coin whether to head to podunk or nowheresville. I jogged about 7 miles before a van stopped and gave me a ride into podunk. I bought a gas can and some fuel and jogged about 4 miles back towards LeCar before I caught a ride on a tractor. Long story short, I got really fuel paranoid in that car which leads to the relevant party of the story.

I got into a primitive form of hypermiling and on the trip home there was a point where you could coast about three miles. One day I was getting close to empty so I turned the engine off instead of just idling in neutral. The problem was my reflexive action after turning off the ignition was to remove the keys and toss them in my backpack, which I did. Unfortunately, my long coast downhill had a turn and I entered it perfectly lah-di-dah until half way through my steering wheel locked up and I couldn't disengage from the turn and went bonk right into the ditch.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

0toShifty posted:

I-5 in Oregon.. was driving a different beetle, but I did the same thing I did for parking.. kill the engine, put it in neutral. There's three passes along that road if I remember right, and I could bomb down them at 75+ which is probably the fastest the bug I was driving at the time had ever gone.

The elevation changes weren't super steep, I think the max grade was 5% or so, so you could coast fast without needing to touch the brakes. Don't do it in the rain though because that road is legendary for people wiping out while speeding.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Good thing it's not Italian so you don't burn to death when it achieves enlightenment?

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults?refurl=email&searchType=ID&targetCategory=R&searchCriteria.nhtsa_ids=15V846

quote:

SUMMARY:
Aston Martin Lagonda of North America (Aston Martin) is recalling certain model year 2010-2015 DB9, 2010-2012 DBS, 2010-2016 V8 Vantage, 2012 Virage, 2010-2016 Rapide, 2014-2016 Vanquish, 2011-2016 V12 Vantage, and 2012-2013 V12 Zagato vehicles. The affected vehicles are equipped with interior door unlocking mechanisms that may not function when the vehicle has been locked from the outside. As such, these vehicles fail to conform to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 206, "Door Locks and Door Retention Components."

And this weeks airbag recall, this time where the airbag itself doesn't kill you!

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults?refurl=email&searchType=ID&targetCategory=R&searchCriteria.nhtsa_ids=16V436

quote:

SUMMARY:
Nissan North America, Inc. (Nissan) is recalling certain model year 2016 LEAF vehicles manufactured February 24, 2016, to March 23, 2016, and Sentra vehicles manufactured February 9, 2016, to March 4, 2016. The wiring harness connector may disconnect from the dual-stage passenger air bag.

And 32 Land Rovers have airbags that might fail to deploy: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults?refurl=email&searchType=ID&targetCategory=R&searchCriteria.nhtsa_ids=16V444

Bolts are hard. Good thing there isn't an airbag back there to shoot shrapnel at you.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults?refurl=email&searchType=ID&targetCategory=R&searchCriteria.nhtsa_ids=16V442

quote:

SUMMARY:
Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC (MBUSA) is recalling certain model year 2015 ML250, ML350, ML350 4Matic, ML400 4Matic, ML63 AMG, and 2016 GLE450 AMG 4Matic vehicles manufactured from April 27, 2015, through May 19, 2015. The affected vehicles may have had the right rear seatbelt anchor bolt incorrectly installed.
CONSEQUENCE:
In the event of a vehicle crash, the right rear seatbelt anchor bolt could fail to secure the passenger, increasing their risk of injury.

Also if these are boring I will stop posting them. Also in the email a bunch of things which will make you never ride a bus / RV again.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
You say that like I would want to be in an RV in the first place. When I'm on the road for more than 150 miles, I want it to be just the way it was when I was doing family road trips as a child; cramped, uncomfortable, and with as few breaks as humanly possible

Also, how do you gently caress up power locks? They've been around for as long as 3 point seatbelts... which also got hosed up. Go Mercedes!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

H110Hawk posted:

Also if these are boring I will stop posting them. Also in the email a bunch of things which will make you never ride a bus / RV again.

I enjoy them, especially the interesting ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

xzzy posted:

I-5 in Oregon.. was driving a different beetle, but I did the same thing I did for parking.. kill the engine, put it in neutral. There's three passes along that road if I remember right, and I could bomb down them at 75+ which is probably the fastest the bug I was driving at the time had ever gone.

The elevation changes weren't super steep, I think the max grade was 5% or so, so you could coast fast without needing to touch the brakes. Don't do it in the rain though because that road is legendary for people wiping out while speeding.

Killing the engine like you did works (beware of losing hydraulic assist, of course), but sometimes people think they’re saving gas by putting the car in neutral and idling the engine, and that’s simply not true. You’ll coast faster, but the engine has to burn fuel to keep turning. If you coast in gear, your kinetic energy keeps the engine turning so it doesn’t have to burn any fuel. It does slow you down a little, but on many grades that’s fine or desirable.