Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Reminds me of when I watched Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone when Ernie Hudson shows up as the more competent alternative to the hero, but ends up being the supporting sidekick because, welp, he's black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Tars Tarkas posted:

So this just followed me on Twitter and it is amazing and I can't wait OMG OMG OMG

GALAXY LORDS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUgEoUQPw-0

Attention zero-budget indie filmmakers: It is not a tick in the "pros" column that you stretched your one-joke short film premise out to 90 minutes.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Why do people like this loving garbage

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Which of course makes it worse when GB2 sees fit to sideline him in much the same way (There's no reason for him not to be in court with them other than just not wanting him there).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DrVenkman posted:

Which of course makes it worse when GB2 sees fit to sideline him in much the same way (There's no reason for him not to be in court with them other than just not wanting him there).

I remember reading in Starlog or CFQ that Murray in particular was upset with how Hudson got sidelined again, and was constantly fighting to get him more screentime / dialogue.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Isn't it the rumor that Winston was really meant for Eddie Murphy and Hudson was a last minute replacement when they couldn't get Murphy to commit?

Armyman25 posted:

Reminds me of when I watched Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone when Ernie Hudson shows up as the more competent alternative to the hero, but ends up being the supporting sidekick because, welp, he's black.

Ernie Hudson finally got to be the hero in Congo. :unsmith:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Young Freud posted:

Isn't it the rumor that Winston was really meant for Eddie Murphy and Hudson was a last minute replacement when they couldn't get Murphy to commit?

Murphy would have been busy shooting Beverly Hills Cop.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

RBA Starblade posted:

Having watched them both again I don't see why people don't like Ghostbusters 2 so much. I thought it was still pretty funny.

Sequels almost always receive harsh criticism if they stick too close to the original film, and that goes doubly for comedies since humour is so dependent on the element of surprise. A more modern example of the same phenomenon would be Hangover 2, which was universally panned for completely rehashing the first film's structure in a slightly more exotic locale.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Tupac biopic "All Eyez on Me" is getting delayed due to a rights dispute over song ownership. This is also the movie that has the guy who played Biggie in HIS biopic reprising the role, creating a weird shared rapper biopic universe.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DrVenkman posted:

I really liked the new GHOSTBUSTERS, but it's all in the execution. The original feels like Ackroyd and Ramis just knew that stuff, as though it was just coming to them naturally. This time though it feels like something that's just there in the script that they had to learn and all of it just sounds like a parody of that type of dialogue.

Precisely. The offhand way they rattle off "Tobin's Spirit Guide" "Spade's Catalogue" "mm-hmm" is totally different to the techno jargon in Ghostbusters(2016)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

muscles like this? posted:

The Tupac biopic "All Eyez on Me" is getting delayed due to a rights dispute over song ownership. This is also the movie that has the guy who played Biggie in HIS biopic reprising the role, creating a weird shared rapper biopic universe.

I'm fairly certain they actually went to Serbia and picked up Tupac, where he lives in secret allegedly to remove and/or prevent kebab, because the guy playing him looks exactly like the real Tupac.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

precision posted:

Precisely. The offhand way they rattle off "Tobin's Spirit Guide" "Spade's Catalogue" "mm-hmm" is totally different to the techno jargon in Ghostbusters(2016)

To be fair, naturalistic discussion of the supernatural was a lot more appropriate for the mid-80s than now. People who weren't a complete loving joke actually took that poo poo seriously. It's obviously sci-if bananas in 2016.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sir Kodiak posted:

To be fair, naturalistic discussion of the supernatural was a lot more appropriate for the mid-80s than now. People who weren't a complete loving joke actually took that poo poo seriously. It's obviously sci-if bananas in 2016.

Eagerly awaiting the first big-budget DMT movie.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I'm fairly certain they actually went to Serbia and picked up Tupac, where he lives in secret allegedly to remove and/or prevent kebab, because the guy playing him looks exactly like the real Tupac.

So did the guy who played Tupac in Straight Outta Compton. Personally I believe there's an army of Tupac clones/holograms out there.

DrVenkman posted:

GB2 is just a rehash of the first film, and for no reason it completely sidelines Winston. You got Ernie Hudson in your cast then you best use Ernie Hudson.

Poor guy couldn't even voice his own character in the cartoon :sad:

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Young Freud posted:

Ernie Hudson finally got to be the hero in Congo. :unsmith:

I'm your great white hunter, though I happen to be black.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

tupac's robo-ghost wished on a star and became a real boy

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

precision posted:

Eagerly awaiting the first big-budget DMT movie.
Are you imagining a $100 mil+ summer tent pole? We already have Enter The Void with a $13 million dollar budget.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

Does Samuel L. Jackson come in at the end of the movie and say he faked their deaths because he's putting a team together?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Codependent Poster posted:

Does Samuel L. Jackson come in at the end of the movie and say he faked their deaths because he's putting a team together?

Nah, they're saving that for the ODB epilogue in the Wu-Tang movie.

grahf987
May 11, 2009
The Tang Vs The Pac, im in. Big as ref/master/dough nut maker.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

grahf987 posted:

The Tang Vs The Pac, im in.

2Pac was actually a huge fan of Wu-Tang and Method Man appears on one of the songs on All Eyez On Me.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The Van Helsing entry in the Universal Monsterverse is inspired by Mad Max

quote:

“I can only say that early on, our inspiration for his behavior and his mannerisms was all in Mad Max,” said Heisserer, referencing the tough-as-nails, lone wolf protagonist of George Miller’s famous dystopian action series. While that’s all he could tell me -- and the qualifier “early on” could indicate that’s no longer the way they’re going -- it could hold our best clue yet as to the manner in which the rebooted character will be envisioned on screen.
http://www.hitfix.com/the-dartboard/van-helsing-screenwriter-mad-max-was-our-inspiration-for-the-characters-new-iteration

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I'm not sold, but I'm certainly interested.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I certainly hope that means Dracula's brides will be spraying their mouths with silver paint while Helsing takes a back seat to Lucy and Mina.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They should just call him Simon Belmont and make it Castlevania, then go balls to the walls crazy.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

greatn posted:

They should just call him Simon Belmont and make it Castlevania, then go balls to the walls crazy.

The Hugh Jackman Van Helsing was as close to this as I think we're going to get.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Just get Anthony Hopkins back.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I dunno. It could work but last time Van Helsing was an tough as nails action hero that didn't turn out so well. However at least some of the films where he's just a scholarly old guy are great.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

What's the best depiction of van Helsing that's not played by Peter Cushing?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

may the power of public use bowling balls and dollar store swirly plastic be with you

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That looks terrible.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

movie is sure looking like it's having so much fun with its concept, look how wacky this shot of them just standing there and facing the same direction with blank faces is

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I like the designs, anyway we have yet to see any trailers

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yellow with the facemask removed looks like Scorpina.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I like the designs

you have horrid taste.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

What's the best depiction of van Helsing that's not played by Peter Cushing?
Anthony Hopkins is a touch better than Cushing, and he's still alive and working.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

you have horrid taste.

I won't deny this, but I'm just saying we should wait for a trailer before preemptively jumping on the hatewagon

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
I just want to see what the Zords look like, as well as whatever monster(s) they use. That's the whole point of doing a Power Ranger movie, giant robots vs giant monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

Just get Anthony Hopkins back.

A reminder that he's playing either a giant robot or a creator of giant robots on Transformers next year.

• Locked thread