Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Meant to post this here but accidentally posted it in the best thread instead:

Jewel Repetition posted:

Post YFW you slowly realize Trump's performance means any other Republican nominee probably would have beaten Hillary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

JT Jag posted:

Pets are an affectation of the bourgeoisie, the only true companion for a revolutionary is a pot-belly pig, an animal you can love and one you can depend on to nourish you when the revolution comes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrJlwBkFAHw

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dogs are better, but if you work long hours and live alone, cats are better because they thrive on neglect

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
my cat allergies have deprived me of being a cat guy

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Jewel Repetition posted:

Meant to post this here but accidentally posted it in the best thread instead:

I think Clinton could still beat Carson's scampaign, but other than that you're right

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i'm convinced that clinton would have beaten cruz and jeb!, while losing to kaisch

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

Fulchrum posted:

Legitimately, adverb. Meaning: she is bad and I hate her.

😂😂

paranoid randroid posted:

you literally told me once you dont give a poo poo about others points of view

At this point I no longer expect rudatron to have a cohesive point of view. Instead, I have learned to expect a poo poo show of disparate and ill-conceived ideas that are supported by nothing but vague conjecture and shadowy prejudices.
:morning:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
It would have been tighter, but yeah. Cruz and JEB are both quite beatable.

Kasich...would have been a squeaker. Most of his good polling is largely due to nobody knowing who the hell he is; you can stay a "generic republican" cipher for a while, but Hillary's job #1 would be defining him if he was the nominee. He'd have to follow suit and define himself on his own terms. And he's got a sufficiently high rear end in a top hat-quotient to lose a lot of ground. So doable, but tougher.

But instead, we get The Golden One, the MAGA of disastah, the orange beast with mouths for eyes, Trump! *click*

This is going to be a magical set of debates--and overall campaign. September can't get here soon enough.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly, I feel Mitt Romney may have given Clinton a run for her money, but the person to look for in 2020 is Rubio imo. Better hope people start liking Clinton once in office, because if they don't, he'll win, assuming he survives the Night Of Trump Steak Knives. But the state of the election now is basically Clinton's to lose, thanks to Trump.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

rudatron posted:

Honestly, I feel Mitt Romney may have given Clinton a run for her money, but the person to look for in 2020 is Rubio imo. Better hope people start liking Clinton once in office, because if they don't, he'll win, assuming he survives the Night Of Trump Steak Knives. But the state of the election now is basically Clinton's to lose, thanks to Trump.

too many skeletons. he's changed his religion too much and the whole isn't a hard worker thing was aired out nationally so now he's in danger of losing his senate seat. 2018 he may be in a way better position but there will be no way to tell any sooner

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

rudatron posted:

lol he's lucky if he even gets his senate seat back. he is hated here in FL and his flip flop on running for senate is gonna ruin him

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Honestly, I think Paul Ryan is a lock for 2020 unless there is another Trump-esque mutiny. And I think he'd have good chances of winning even if Hilary is doing favorably as President.

But it doesn't matter because this isn't about the Presidency. It's about the Supreme Court.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Timeless Appeal posted:

Honestly, I think Paul Ryan is a lock for 2020 unless there is another Trump-esque mutiny. And I think he'd have good chances of winning even if Hilary is doing favorably as President.

Ryan is clearly aiming for a 2020 run, but I wouldn't count Kaisch entirely out. I suspect that part of his distancing from Trump and refusal to bend knee all the way is to better position himself as the dissenting voice of wisdom among the failed candidates* this time around, who can point at the smoldering crater Trump leaves of the party and say "warned you, didn't I?"

*Ignoring as always Jeb! because Jeb's a mess.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Ryan is clearly aiming for a 2020 run, but I wouldn't count Kaisch entirely out. I suspect that part of his distancing from Trump and refusal to bend knee all the way is to better position himself as the dissenting voice of wisdom among the failed candidates* this time around, who can point at the smoldering crater Trump leaves of the party and say "warned you, didn't I?"

*Ignoring as always Jeb! because Jeb's a mess.
The problem is how well Kasich does when the primary isn't a sideshow where he can play adult.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Timeless Appeal posted:

But it doesn't matter because this isn't about the Presidency. It's about the Supreme Court.

Ryan has no hope at the presidency. No one outside of GOP officials seems to care for his policy-wonk approach, and there is too much Ryan-Trump ammo to be used against him. If Hillary wins, the GOP challenger in 2020 will have to be someone who didn't embrace Trump quite so much. Kasich will be the front runner, but I can see Rubio, and Nikki Hayley in the mix.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Badger of Basra posted:

It kind of sucks that Hillary has such massive unfavorables when all she's done to deserve it is be married to the first democratic president that Republicans went fully insane on
Did the Republicans lose their poo poo at the thought of Bill, and Hillary was just in the crossfire? Or did they lose their poo poo at Hillary, and Bill was in the crossfire?

It's a modern political koan.

L-Boned posted:

Hillary is a tough sell for progressives. The same way Trump is for far right.

Hillary represents many things that progressives do not like.

less than stellar record on gay rights/civil rights

gently caress right off! The woman who forced the UN to finally recognise LGBT rights does not get to be listed as having a bad track record for gay rights.

If that's your bar, who in the gently caress has a good record? And don't you loving dare say someone who said he supported them but didn't achieve anything. Real service, not lip service.

OAquinas posted:

It would have been tighter, but yeah. Cruz and JEB are both quite beatable.

Kasich...would have been a squeaker. Most of his good polling is largely due to nobody knowing who the hell he is; you can stay a "generic republican" cipher for a while, but Hillary's job #1 would be defining him if he was the nominee. He'd have to follow suit and define himself on his own terms. And he's got a sufficiently high rear end in a top hat-quotient to lose a lot of ground. So doable, but tougher.

I think people have it backwards. The race getting to this point with Hillary being shown as equally bad as the GOP nominee was always gonna happen, because American media are completely worthless pieces of poo poo who no matter what would portray both sides the same.

Hell, if it was between Bernie and Trump, the media would be painting both sides as wackos with crazy ideas, and the polls would follow suit. She'd be no better or no worse against any other Republican til after the convention.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

rudatron posted:

Rubio and Paul Ryan are the ones I'm worried about. They both can put on the 'aw golly shucks' routine like pros which is really effective on swing voters.

Aw gosh guys I just wanna make things better and cooperate you guys want that, don't you :kiddo:

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Necc0 posted:

Rubio and Paul Ryan are the ones I'm worried about. They both can put on the 'aw golly shucks' routine like pros which is really effective on swing voters.

Aw gosh guys I just wanna make things better and cooperate you guys want that, don't you :kiddo:

Ryan got eaten alive by Joe Biden of all people. What do you think Hillary would do to him in a debate?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
But according to the Kasich adviser (who spoke only under the condition that he not be named), Donald Jr. wanted to make him an offer nonetheless: Did he have any interest in being the most powerful vice president in history?
When Kasich’s adviser asked how this would be the case, Donald Jr. explained that his father’s vice president would be in charge of domestic and foreign policy.

Then what, the adviser asked, would Trump be in charge of?

“Making America great again” was the casual reply.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Fulchrum posted:

Did the Republicans lose their poo poo at the thought of Bill, and Hillary was just in the crossfire? Or did they lose their poo poo at Hillary, and Bill was in the crossfire?

It's a modern political koan.

It's both. The pair of them completely flipped the poo poo of conservatives. They hated Hillary first because she was a liberal, ambitious, opinionated woman who clearly had the chops for national politics. Then Bill had the audacity to unseat an incumbent Republican after they had won 5 of six elections mostly by blowouts.

In 1992, the Republicans seriously believed they had a lock on the presidency forever and Clinton winning completely blew their minds. Rush Limbaugh began his shows with "America Held Hostage, Day X" after the election, and went from sarcastic and reasonably funny to completely nasty and mean. Erasing Bill Clinton from history and ensuring Hillary never became president became their sole obsession. The 90s were quite unpleasant, even worse than the Obama years.

Hillary becoming president will do more to destroy the Republican party than Obama did. She is the embodiment of everything they hate and fear. Why they've gone so far off the deep end with her I don't really understand, but they sure did.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

It's both. The pair of them completely flipped the poo poo of conservatives. They hated Hillary first because she was a liberal, ambitious, opinionated woman who clearly had the chops for national politics. Then Bill had the audacity to unseat an incumbent Republican after they had won 5 of six elections mostly by blowouts.

In 1992, the Republicans seriously believed they had a lock on the presidency forever and Clinton winning completely blew their minds. Rush Limbaugh began his shows with "America Held Hostage, Day X" after the election, and went from sarcastic and reasonably funny to completely nasty and mean. Erasing Bill Clinton from history and ensuring Hillary never became president became their sole obsession. The 90s were quite unpleasant, even worse than the Obama years.

Hillary becoming president will do more to destroy the Republican party than Obama did. She is the embodiment of everything they hate and fear. Why they've gone so far off the deep end with her I don't really understand, but they sure did.
And this is what makes me afraid. We've already seen the start of it. No President is ever legitimate with them.

You can say that this existed with Bush. But the 2000 election was more or less against the spirit of the electoral college (Gore didn't lose out of any sense that he wasn't fit to be President but because of a fluke with the math) and David Siegel claiming he did illegal things to secure the Florida election for Bush. And while tons of people didn't recognize Bush as a legitimate President, you didn't see much of that rhetoric come much from Kerry and Obama shied away from any calls to explore wrongdoing of the Bush administration.

In the end, Bush's legitimacy as President isn't really in question and Dems have more or less decided to settle for the argument the disgusting lie that Reagan is on the level of Lincoln.

Meanwhile, there are probably already meetings to try to figure out how to impeach Hilary.

EDIT: Despite everything we've seen, Hilary's argument is that Donald Trump should not become President. Christie's argument is that Hilary should be in prison.

Timeless Appeal has issued a correction as of 16:16 on Jul 20, 2016

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Phi230 posted:

lol he's lucky if he even gets his senate seat back. he is hated here in FL and his flip flop on running for senate is gonna ruin him

Nah, he's polling ahead because the Florida DNC is a total poo poo show.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

WampaLord posted:

Nah, he's polling ahead because the Florida DNC is a total poo poo show.

The Florida Dems are a poo poo show, but he's polling ahead because he is a sitting Senator and Florida is a poo poo state.

The previous R candidates were all tied or losing to Murphy and Grayson.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
reminder that Rubio got kneecapped by Chris Christie - the most pathetic man alive

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
"but wait randroid, sure JEB is the most pathetic?" you might ask, but consider this - between Christie and Bush, which one willingly made himself Donald Trumps gimp?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
alternate history election year fanfiction is the best

because they completely ignore the actual political dynamics in play

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

"but wait randroid, sure JEB is the most pathetic?" you might ask, but consider this - between Christie and Bush, which one willingly made himself Donald Trumps gimp?

my god

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

reminder that Rubio got kneecapped by Chris Christie - the most pathetic man alive

Is that why he's so small?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Christy a man so a pathetic that the only way he can win a trial these days is by voice vote to an entirely biased jury

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Christies so pathetic he tried to eat his feelings but the donut looked up at him and said "look man i aint your fuckin therapist"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Christie has been 86ed from every big and tall store in Manhattan and upper New Jersey for leaving McDs grease stains on all the clothes and now has to shop at maternity stores when he's home

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice
Jeb! gets a lot of poo poo, but he's not the one making McDonald's runs for Trump like some kind of summer intern.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Christie got thrown out of a Burlington Coat Factory for sleazing the place up

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Pinely posted:

Jeb! gets a lot of poo poo, but he's not the one making McDonald's runs for Trump like some kind of summer intern.
I still can't believe that a sitting governor did this. Like, of a real US state, not even one of the useless ones like Montana

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

When Christie is in the city at least once a day he has to explain that he's not a promotional mascot for a mafia themed all you can eat buffet

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Or Pokemon Go

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
even New Jersey thinks Christie is inexcusable. thats like having a hobo yell at you to get a job.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
reminder that the donor class went and BEGGED christie to run

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

broken clock opsec posted:

reminder that the donor class went and BEGGED christie to run

That's the silver lining to this resurgence of white nationalist isolationism in the GOP: their donor class, who are quite literally the scum of the earth have to decide between supporting a man who has promised to ruin their investments or a woman who they've spent millions demonizing for decades, but who more or less shares their economic outlook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

so perfect an observation that not even fishmech can find an angle to debate it

• Locked thread