Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

facebook jihad posted:

"It's got that guy from Superbad. No, not Mclovin, the other one. This is going to be gold"

Probably the only effort that went into it

I wouldn't be surprised if internet forums humor played some role in the for pitch Allen Gregory. Old men in suits were showed screencaps and told "People are horrible to each other and it's funny! No comeuppance, just more views. This is the next big thing in humor!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
Knight Rider remake i just remembered.
Every Adult Swim show is amazing compared to that. Context fuckers. There's subjectively bad and unanimously bad.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Tokelau All Star posted:

This is a weird one, because I mentioned earlier that I hated Perfect Hair Forever (watching for the first time two days ago). But my college roommates and I legit loved Xavier Renegade Angel. You're right though, today I have a very low opinion of college me.

Xavier renegade angel has to be the weirdest thing I ever watched.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

bog savant posted:

Nothing lowers my opinion of a person more than hearing they were a fan of Xavier Renegade Angel.

you were... a hit. Everyone loves you. You even have.... A girlfriend!

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Iron Prince posted:

you were... a hit. Everyone loves you. You even have.... A girlfriend!

Is she disabled?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
The worst show I've seen recently is How to Get Away with Murder. It started out watchable, but they just kept piling twist upon twist, conspiracy upon conspiracy, past the point it where it all felt cheap and impactless, and just kept going. I guess it's popular and well-reviewed by critics? I have no idea why because it had at most 2-3 decent episodes before imploding.

Worst show ever has to be Histeria! though. I strongly suspect the creators set out to make the most obnoxious and repulsive educational cartoon imaginable. It wasn't even fun in a subversive sort of way, though, just absolutely painful to watch.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jul 21, 2016

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

Rollersnake posted:

The worst show I've seen recently is How to Get Away with Murder. It started out watchable, but they just kept piling twist upon twist, conspiracy upon conspiracy, past the point it where it all felt cheap and impactless, and just kept going. I guess it's popular and well-reviewed by critics? I have no idea why because it had at most 2-3 decent episodes before imploding.

100% agree that How To Get Away With Murder is overrated and tiresome after just a few episodes. It's shows like this that reinforce how awesome Breaking Bad was. It had so much potential to be awful at every turn and it just wasn't.

kerimeton
Nov 10, 2007
sarcassticallas
Archer, Two Broke Girls, How I Met Your Mother, Mulany, 24, Key and Peele (Key and Peele is so bad, that it almost makes the other ones seem decent.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Rollersnake posted:

Worst show ever has to be Histeria! though. I strongly suspect the creators set out to make the most obnoxious and repulsive educational cartoon imaginable. It wasn't even fun in a subversive sort of way, though, just absolutely painful to watch.

God, I hated Histeria!. It had maybe one or two bits I liked, but the over-the-top style didn't help it and the completely random "world history + modern pop culture + OLDER pop culture" thing feels like it's more confusing for younger audiences than just having Bugs and Daffy reenact a series of historical events.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Halloween Jack posted:

I believe Kindred did well enough that it probably would've gotten another season if the star hadn't died in a motorcycle crash.

Notably, it had to change the roleplaying game's mythology because they couldn't afford to film at night all the time; therefore, vampires don't burn to ashes in sunlight.

I remember one episode where they kept talking up this one Assamite murderer as the ultimate ghost of an assassin who never leaves a trace, then they go to check out a house where they think she's going to strike and someone literally trips over a corpse left in the middle of the lawn

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rollersnake posted:

You should watch scandal or the 100 or some other chick series. None of them assume that the people watching are sentient.

Sten Freak posted:

How is Grey's Anatomy still on? I saw a commercial the other day and was shocked. Not saying it's worst ever but 11 or whatever seasons really?

Women are idiots. That's why.

ditty bout my clitty fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 21, 2016

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

I can see how House of Cards would be a good background show if you find it soothing to listen to an angry man talk in a drawling Southern accent. But that just takes me back to freshmen Philosophy 201 with the guy who never shut up and eventually just started screaming IT IS A FACT THAT NIETZSCHE IS BURNING IN HELL.

I find kevin spacey extremely soothing even when he's killing people. He needs to work on that.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Ilustforponydeath posted:

You should watch scandal or the 100 or some other chick series. None of them assume that the people watching are sentient.

Women are idiots. That's why.

Sorry all those girls in high school were so mean to you.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

1redflag posted:

Lol, go watch a season of either of these shows and get back to me

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

kerimeton posted:

Key and Peele is so bad, that it almost makes the other ones seem decent.

Comedy Central has been on a never ending quest to create a replacement for Chapelle's Show.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Monkey Fracas posted:

every time I accidentally watch a bit of Everybody Loves Raymond I feel like it sucks away a part of my soul and I feel a little more hollow inside

I now know why the UK is so loving miserable and hosed in the head over recent events.
In the morning, for about 4 years straight, when everyone is going to work, Channel 4 would have a block of just Friends, Everyone Loves Raymond, and King of Queens on.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

1redflag posted:

I want to believe he's just saying that shows designed to and often made by women are insulting to that demographic's overall intellect.

There's stuff like Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and that one about the girls working on some Bachelor-reality show and Broad City which aren't really my cup of tea but I can see are quality, so I want to believe.

happyhippy posted:

I now know why the UK is so loving miserable and hosed in the head over recent events.
In the morning, for about 4 years straight, when everyone is going to work, Channel 4 would have a block of just Friends, Everyone Loves Raymond, and King of Queens on.

Friends and King of Queens aren't good by any stretch, but whenever I watch Everybody Loves Raymond I feel like I'm watching farts that became sentient. Just looking at that awful muddy set fills my nostrils with the smell of old sandwiches and uncleaned shoes.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

My wife watches Scandal on Netflix

I half expect the next plot twist to be that the President is pregnant with an albino midget baby, and Olivia is somehow the father

I also feel bad that I know some of the characters :smith:

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Rollersnake posted:

The worst show I've seen recently is How to Get Away with Murder.

You should watch scandal or the 100 or some other chick series.

I'm pretty sure both How to Get Away with Murder and Scandal are both the work of Shalondadonda Rimes. I only watched the first season of How to and didn't mind it, but I just leave the room if my wife is watching Scandal. Mostly because I can't stand the main character (Olivia Pope) or the autistic hitman guy (I hate his voice/delivery).

All twists/plot points are resolved the same way:

Olivia: my dad is being evil
President: oh really?
Olivia : how will we ever fix this?
President: Let us gently caress
(loving commences)

Gay politician: I've had a rough day. Someone was killed by our cleaners.
Boy friend : oh my. How can I make it better?
Gay politician: let us gently caress
(butt loving commences)

Autistic hitman : I killed a man in front of my kid. How will I ever live with myself?
Random couple in background : let us gently caress
(loving commences)

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Sherlock (the BBC television series) is kind of campy at times but it's never outright bad or, ahem, "schlocky" in my opinion... until Andrew Scott's Moriarty gets screen time. Jesus Christ his performance is god awful. Dunno if it's the direction or the acting but I really hate the take on the character.

Not a huge fan of Amanda Abbington either but she gets a pass because she's Martin Freeman's irl wife :3:

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Sherlock (the BBC television series) is kind of campy at times but it's never outright bad or, ahem, "schlocky" in my opinion... until Andrew Scott's Moriarty gets screen time. Jesus Christ his performance is god awful. Dunno if it's the direction or the acting but I really hate the take on the character.

Not a huge fan of Amanda Abbington either but she gets a pass because she's Martin Freeman's irl wife :3:

I thought the same thing. The way he plays the character is how I would expect it to be in a parody version.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Comedy Bang! Bang! (The show) Is completely unfunny garbage

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Archer is awesome.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I watched a single episode of this show and Moriarty is an offensive gay stereotype and he threatens to kill Holmes but then retreats, saying he'll leave killing him to another time, then he comes back and says he changed his mind and the episode ends with a cliffhanger.

It's really badly written. The dialogue, the characters, the structure. Garbage.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Perhaps I should have expanded my comment to say "any scene with Moriarty in it" because I agree, that was egregious. And then there's the last episode in the third series where Moriarty says "Buh-byeee!" and shoots himself in the head which got me laughing out loud because of how ludicrous it was.

Sherlock and Watson are fun to watch though. I wouldn't say the show as a whole is badly written.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Perhaps I should have expanded my comment to say "any scene with Moriarty in it" because I agree, that was egregious. And then there's the last episode in the third series where Moriarty says "Buh-byeee!" and shoots himself in the head which got me laughing out loud because of how ludicrous it was.

Sherlock and Watson are fun to watch though. I wouldn't say the show as a whole is badly written.

Yeah I only saw the one episode but holy poo poo that sounds terrible

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I actually liked that take on Moriarty, but you guys have every right to be completely wrong.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I actually liked that take on Moriarty, but you guys have every right to be completely wrong.

It's unbelievably bad, like "how did this actually get filmed without someone putting a stop to it" bad

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I assume the post/username combo is not coincidence

e: I think I "get" what they were going for with this Moriarty (his performance is supposed to be unnerving, thus giving an air of menacing-below-the-surface) but it still falls flat for me.

kalel fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 22, 2016

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I assume the post/username combo is not coincidence

e: I think I "get" what they were going for with this Moriarty (his performance is supposed to be unnerving, thus giving an air of menacing-below-the-surface) but it still falls flat for me.

Discussing it at all is something of a derail from the actual subject of thread, anyway, which is debating whether Everybody Love Raymond does in fact cause prefrontal cortex damage to the brains of viewers, or if it was a pre-existing condition in those who intentionally watched it.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

mind the walrus posted:

[...] that one about the girls working on some Bachelor-reality show [...]

This is UnReal and it's fantastic because every single major character, without exception is a horrible, irredeemable person and they tell you this right up front. The entire show is horrible things happening to horrible people and they bring it all on themselves, and not once does the show expect you to sympathize with them. The only decent people are the lesser characters caught in the middle of this escalating feud between terrible assholes. I love shows about awful people (as long as you're not expected to think any of them is the "good guy") though.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

TheKennedys posted:

This is UnReal and it's fantastic because every single major character, without exception is a horrible, irredeemable person and they tell you this right up front. The entire show is horrible things happening to horrible people and they bring it all on themselves, and not once does the show expect you to sympathize with them. The only decent people are the lesser characters caught in the middle of this escalating feud between terrible assholes. I love shows about awful people (as long as you're not expected to think any of them is the "good guy") though.

never heard of this show. looked up the trailer and it looks white as gently caress; especially the country rendition of 99 problems

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Doc Block posted:

Do people really put TV on just to have it on in the background? What's the point of having it on if you aren't going to pay attention? And if you're watching something not worth giving your full attention to, why not switch to something that is worth it?

I don't understand people sometimes.

I like TV or a movie on in the background when I'm working. I usually also have something to play with in my hands while I'm on the phone with a client. I can't think straight unless I have distractions. My grandpa was the same, as is one of my daughters. Always doing multiple things at once. It calms me.

My wife is the opposite. If I fart near her, she has to rewind 5 minutes to track the movie plot. Not uncommon, that's most people. I don't know if it's ADD or something, but if I don't have distractions, I can't focus. It's paradoxical.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
HERCULES: THE LEGENDARY JOURNEYS

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!
WAIT I THOUGHT THIS WAS THE "GREATEST SHOW EVER BESTOWED UPON MANKIND BY THE EFFERVESCENT GRACES OF KEVIN SORBO" THREAD NEVERMIND EVERYBODY

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!
BONUS SORBO POST

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Homestar Runner posted:

BONUS SORBO POST

That's from before the stroke or whatever he had made him retarded and extra-Christian.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!
fun fact: Sorbo's stroke was likely directly related to visitations to some quack rear end chiropractor as his then (and current) wife is a lunatic who insists on the magical healing powers of chiropractic

it happened straight after a particularly hosed up chiro session. true story

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!

Homestar Runner fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That's from before the stroke or whatever he had made him retarded and extra-Christian.

I liked that they got him to do the voice of Hercules in the last God of War. :3:

• Locked thread