Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
They didn't even spell y'all right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
loom was really good. play loom fellas. its the melty blood of 90s lucasarts adventure games

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Dias posted:

i've gotten games off cristu and inso on melty

like, two or three

and against their subs

not even subs their bad characters

but

i once played a set in skullgirls against dekillsage and took one game off him out of like thirty

that's the height of my fg career

e: well that and i've played all the guys who routinely place 2nd-8th in American Vampire Savior tournaments but lol like that means anything

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Loom was cool and good and I was so young when I first played it that I only remembered it vaguely in dreams until I saw the game like a decade later and freaked out.

Well that's my story

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Jmcrofts posted:

Gang Beasts is another one that's been in early access for ages but I hadn't played before. It's a battle arena game where your goal is to throw people off of cliffs or down holes, wood chippers, etc. The controls are super weird and clunky, but that's kind of what makes it fun. It almost feels like a QWOP fighting game in a way.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/285900/

Gang Beasts owns but you need like 8 people for maximum fun and no one on the planet has that many friends.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

Jmcrofts posted:

Speaking of Indie games, I played a few at Evo and thought I'd give my thoughts

Blade Ballet is probably the game I enjoyed most. It's basically a 4-player battlebots simulator. There are a bunch of different robots each with their own skills, and you're trying to destroy the other robots using sharp implements. In a way it plays like a drastically simplified Power Stone. Release date is August 9.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/460750/

Rivals of Aether has been in early access for a while I believe, but this was my first time playing it. It is a Smash Bros clone in nearly every way, even down to the character select screen. It's fun though, and the characters are well differentiated from each other. I like the sprite graphics too.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/383980/

Gang Beasts is another one that's been in early access for ages but I hadn't played before. It's a battle arena game where your goal is to throw people off of cliffs or down holes, wood chippers, etc. The controls are super weird and clunky, but that's kind of what makes it fun. It almost feels like a QWOP fighting game in a way.

Little Bug is a platformer with a competitive vs mode. The main gameplay hook is that you move around your "bug" with the right stick, then you can grapple to it. You can chain grapples together to swing around like spiderman, or you can use the grapple beam to zap your opponent. Game's still in alpha but it was a lot of fun to play.
https://indiegamestand.com/free-games/2896/little-bug/

Did you check out the Chambara booth? That game looks sick and it's really fun to play

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Mintergalactic posted:

Did you check out the Chambara booth? That game looks sick and it's really fun to play

Nope didn't get a chance to try it. It does look cool though.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

Jmcrofts posted:

Nope didn't get a chance to try it. It does look cool though.

I talked to the guy at the booth about it and it's coming out next week or so on PS4, for those not in the know it's a 2P versus first person game focused around stealth and one hit kills. Youre a mono-colored chicken guy in a map that only has 2 colors, with you and your opponent being one of them, and your task is to find the opponent and slice em up with your sword. Youve also got a kunai that paints the opponent the other color and stuns and there's even a close eyes button if you want to hide since it's local multi only.

Heres some screenshots

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Rivals of Aether owns, agreed

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Countblanc posted:

Rivals of Aether owns, agreed

i kind of want to give it a try but i'm thinking of how to sell my friends on it and "it's like smash brothers except without the part where you play recognizable characters from your childhood and instead it's a bunch of pixel junk" and i can just see the weird looks on their faces already

how's the netcode?

e: delay-based :laffo:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The netcode feels a lot better than any other smash game I've played online (which is all of them both on consoles and Dolphin) and smash is a lot more forgiving with lag than traditional fighters. I live in Michigan and play people all over the east coast with no real significant lag unless they're an rear end using WiFi or something. But i also have a healthy local scene for PM and those people seem to take to it easily for whatever reason too. The discord runs nightly tournaments based on region, but from what I've seen most players are east.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Jmcrofts posted:

Gang Beasts is even less of a fighting game than Smash, but it's extremely fun and everyone should play it esp if they like a fun drunk-party game cause of how silly it is.

Brosnan posted:

Gang Beasts owns but you need like 8 people for maximum fun and no one on the planet has that many friends.

It's still really fun even with 3 people, even if it isn't maximum. Everyone buy this game.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Ok I'm like five pages behind in the thread but did y'all motherfuckers bitch out of a goddamned Windjammers tournament :chloe:

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Archenteron posted:

Ok I'm like five pages behind in the thread but did y'all motherfuckers bitch out of a goddamned Windjammers tournament :chloe:

wj sucks bang bead for life

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

anothergod posted:

In one particular perspective you can believe that fighting games are about finding answers to increasingly particular questions. But that's all just reaction. It's like teaching to the test or some other sounds-good-on-paper method. At best it's a boring routine. At worst it equates not-losing with winning.

Moment to moment the best fighting game players get in the heads of other fighting game players. They have a presence of mind that isn't just being vigilant to a list of "what if x" scenarios. It's about taking every possible advantage. They gain ground or position themselves properly. They give up ground to set up traps. They limit their opponents' options and take control.

Or like salt or whatever.

I'm glad the poster who compared this to Street Fighter is here to explain to us what fighting games are actually about

my girlfriend is Legos fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 21, 2016

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Archenteron posted:

its a 98 tourney now

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3772278&userid=212599

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i'm said i missed the chance to say Play Loom™

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Play Gang Beasts.

Last week I got spanish manlove, who has literally zero interest in fgs to play Xrd revelator with me and he was instantly hooked. So play that too. But seriously,

Gang Beasts.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

anothergod posted:

Ya kids who wanna believe that fighting games are about finding "answers" to "questions" keep believing in that, tho. It's real cute.

Think a little more abstractly. We're not saying that in the sense that, say, LA Noire is about finding answers to questions; moreso, it's about learning to deal with every possible situation. For example, say you're maining Guile in ST. Vega/Claw is a really bad matchup for him, so you have to also know how to specifically counterplay against that character in addition to mastering Guile's moveset and combos. In that sense, you have to find an answer to "how am I going to counterplay against *insert move here*," and the way to do that is to keep throwing yourself at it over and over again until you figure it out.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

anothergod posted:

lol, sorry guys, I guess ya'll never forget.

Ya kids who wanna believe that fighting games are about finding "answers" to "questions" keep believing in that, tho. It's real cute.

Ayeeee

it really is no wonder your game is such trash

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Has there ever been anyone in the history of forums posting who called other posters "kids" and was not hilariously wrong about everything

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
I'm proud of this thread.

We've gone like a year (or maybe I just missed it) without a closed-minded new person showing up with a chess analogy again. Or not realizing that maybe - while sometimes indelicate - the old timers™ of the thread miiiight actually have enough experience to understand why the BIG BRIGHT NEW IDEA flawed

Broken loose made a good effort post to be welcoming. Cooking analogies? Check out this new tech!

Also, the monkey island analogy was pretty good.

Brian Moriarty's Loom™ is a loving fantastic game, too. It's pretty short too, you could easily finish it in an afternoon.

The monkey island re-release graphics were lovely though, I can't stand that Guybrush redesign.

Fayk fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 22, 2016

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

bad metaphors posted:

Is everyone free next Wednesday (7/27) at 10pm EST to play some drat KOF98

Yes and advertise this more please

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Fayk posted:

We've gone like a year (or maybe I just missed it) without a closed-minded new person showing up with a chess analogy again. Or not realizing that maybe - while sometimes indelicate - the old timers™ of the thread miiiight actually have enough experience to understand why the BIG BRIGHT NEW IDEA flawed

Wellll the guy posting within the last page is someone who came to get """feedback""" about his game and then when he got really delicately phrased constructive feedback he turned into chess analogy guy and then eventually disintegrated into meme Twitch streamer guy indie game dev extraordinaire.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

marvel is like chess except all the pieces are queens except the king who is like five rooks stacked on top of each other

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Brosnan posted:

Wellll the guy posting within the last page is someone who came to get """feedback""" about his game and then when he got really delicately phrased constructive feedback he turned into chess analogy guy and then eventually disintegrated into meme Twitch streamer guy indie game dev extraordinaire.

Yeah but there's not really too far you have to go before those two start to intersect.

What was the deal with the whole boxing being akin to putting on boxing gloves analogy? Still sort of lost and I know it was a few pages ago and maybe it seems like I'm being willfully dense but I do not get it at least not in the context of fgs. or anything

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Ultramega posted:

Yeah but there's not really too far you have to go before those two start to intersect.

What was the deal with the whole boxing being akin to putting on boxing gloves analogy? Still sort of lost and I know it was a few pages ago and maybe it seems like I'm being willfully dense but I do not get it at least not in the context of fgs. or anything

Yeah I honestly did not understand it even before I saw it was Street Fighter x Zelda guy

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Brosnan posted:

Oh, I missed that.

I choose to ignore your facts.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Fayk posted:

Oh, I missed that.

I choose to ignore your facts.

Yeah that's basically what he did too :v:

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Ultramega posted:

anothergod posted:

I don't know what other people are saying itt, but my favorite fighting games are as much about having answers to other people's bullshit as boxing is about putting on gloves.

I feel like I'm going two layers deep and this is the most pointless thing to try to explain since it's a stupid offhand argument from a page ago, but he was just saying that he didn't think the original argument was too relevant to fighting games (e.g. putting on boxing gloves really isn't a particularly important to boxing versus you know, the actual boxing part). There's nothing to get about it in the context of fighting games, he was just using an analogy to poo poo on the original monkey island analogy.

Aaaannnnd that's today's lesson in reading comprehension and syntax. Doesn't change the fact that it's a dumb point, but I mean as a sentence it parses fine to me :shrug: . It's not that I didn't understand him, it's just that it was a weird thing to pick a fight over and kind of a dumb statement.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

But having answers to other people's bullshit is really loving important in fighting games

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Annnnnnd that's why he got immediately flamed. That and the whole made a bad game that wasn't a fighting game and tried to convince the fighting game thread to play it thing. And then he got all testy responding to a loving Monkey Island analogy.

attackmole posted:

i mean it was a funny flippant analogy about learning fighting games that people liked and not the be all end all of FG philosophy but you can die on this hill if you want i guess.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 22, 2016

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Has anyone compared fighting games to mma yet

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I think the dude who wrote the shoryuken fighting game primer jerks off a bit about it. I blame Sirlin for getting people into dumb philosophising and analogies instead of just playing. Pro DOTA players don't try to explain how they follow the bushido code.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

The entire point of Davids Sirloin's writing was that following a bushido code is silly and you do what it takes to win

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

attackmole posted:

I think the dude who wrote the shoryuken fighting game primer jerks off a bit about it. I blame Sirlin for getting people into dumb philosophising and analogies instead of just playing. Pro DOTA players don't try to explain how they follow the bushido code.

Sirlin's whole thing is that bushido code is stupid and hurts your chances of winning

Like, sure, he's got a lovely personality and encourages imitators, whatever, but I've played games where that message was desperately needed and he was the one to popularize it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

attackmole posted:

Pros in any game don't do that, it's the mediocre or bad people who do. That poo poo happens all the time in the Overwatch thread, it happened in the TF2 thread, I have little doubt it happens in the Lol, hearthstone, CoD, and every other competitive game thread

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I jump all my opponents in the bathroom before our tournament matches because I Play to Win™

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think there are some metaphors that are salient and help explain why and how you should do certain things. like in dota terms i read an article on competitive strategy that used a few sun tzu quotes as starting points for discussing the strategy in that game, and they were pretty accurate points, but the difference is he just used the lines that actually applied like 'fight only when you know you can win, and only when you have something to gain from it,' and 'act quickly and decisively' and didn't try to extend the metaphor to the bits about the economy or enemy spies and sure as poo poo didn't include the moral philosophy parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Yeah I didn't realize that he explicitly rallies against bushido because I read the first page and thought I didn't want to read any more of this smug rear end in a top hat, whoops. OK, replace that with Art of War or whatever. Any ways my point is I think moral grandstanding and competitive philosophy is stupid and I would rather read 100 pages of stuff on game techniques than 10 on how to dominate the will of your opponent because I think that's smug neckbeard poo poo, and the latter seems to be a lot more common in fighting games than it does in other game genres.