Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

RadioPassive posted:

Does this work? Should I hook up my welder and try this on my KLR this winter?

My sarcasm meter is broken tonight, but that's an obvious photoshop.

Pokey Araya posted:

Dude won this with a $25 raffle ticket at Giddy Up this year.

Give it front brakes/fender and I'd ride it :blush: For some weird reason I have been missing my old 833 lately.

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Slavvy posted:

Ugly and italian and therefore not entirely water- or fire-resistant.

Better:

Would unironically buy this.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

What's this? Friend saw it in Bart alone uh

E and this

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 20, 2016

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

First is a Yamaha, second is a BMW R850R.

MT-03

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yamaha MT03

you bastard ola

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

goddamnedtwisto posted:

80 mph out of a 3.5hp 250cc motor is... impressive.

0-60 in 30 seconds, an additional minute and no headwind required for each further 5mph.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Particularly with that front end. Jesus. Notice the thumb control on the left bar to change the timing, something you'd have to do constantly.

Change the spark timing you mean? Like, have it trigger earlier at higher rpm? Is that something modern bikes still do but automatically somehow?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Renaissance Robot posted:

Change the spark timing you mean? Like, have it trigger earlier at higher rpm? Is that something modern bikes still do but automatically somehow?

Yes. A modern engine is just as basic as those museum bikes, it just has automated some of the admin.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

0-60 in 30 seconds, an additional minute and no headwind required for each further 5mph.

Yeah, that - although by the twenties engines were starting to have rpm-dependent timing advance, so it's possible that this one does and the timing change is just to account for the very variable quality of pump fuel at the time.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Is this supposed to be "5 or 6" HP or were they really only able to get 5/6th of a HP out of an 800cc engine... that seems really low even for the 20s

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ADINSX posted:

Is this supposed to be "5 or 6" HP or were they really only able to get 5/6th of a HP out of an 800cc engine... that seems really low even for the 20s

They're meaning it comes in 5 or 6 horsepower variations. According to my 1913 motorcycling manual a 6hp bike is a heavyweight bike with a powerful engine 2-4 cylinder engine, often used with a side car, ideally optionally fitted with a 2-speed trans and a clutch. If you project development forward by a decade 5-6hp seems like what a middleweight bike with a v-twin would have. With aforementioned manual timing advance. Prehistoric bikes are strange beasts.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I like going to antique vehicle shows where they show the vehicles moving under their own power, mostly to watch them getting started. It's always entertaining to watch the five minute ritual required to get those old machines started.

We're spoiled with being able to jump on a bike, push a button and go.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

They're meaning it comes in 5 or 6 horsepower variations. According to my 1913 motorcycling manual a 6hp bike is a heavyweight bike with a powerful engine 2-4 cylinder engine, often used with a side car, ideally optionally fitted with a 2-speed trans and a clutch. If you project development forward by a decade 5-6hp seems like what a middleweight bike with a v-twin would have. With aforementioned manual timing advance. Prehistoric bikes are strange beasts.

I think it's actually that it's a 6hp engine, but it's only 5 RAC horsepower, used for tax purposes and calculated by the dimensions of the engine. That's normally what that notation means on cars of the era, anyway.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Collateral Damage posted:

I like going to antique vehicle shows where they show the vehicles moving under their own power, mostly to watch them getting started. It's always entertaining to watch the five minute ritual required to get those old machines started.

I'm at work right now, somebody find the [five minute long] video of them trying to get this thing started:

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Hello sir can I interest you in this exciting new italin brand called Ducati

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah. The fuel charge takes a more or less constant time to burn and expand, but you always want the bulk of the expansion to be happening at the same point in the engine stroke for maximum power. When the engine is turning slowly, you need to ignite the fuel pretty close to when the piston is at top-dead-center on its compression stroke or even a little bit afterwards, so that the piston is just starting to move down as the charge expands. As the engine speeds up, if you continue to spark at top-dead-center, the piston will have already moved partway down on inertia by the time the charge starts to push, so you waste a bunch of power. Instead you fire the spark slightly before the piston hits the top ("timing advance") and the fuel gets going in time for the power stroke to take advantage of it.

Then when you slow down, you have to put the timing back where it was, because advanced timing at low engine speeds means the charge will already be burnt before the piston reaches the top of the compression stroke. Best case it knocks, worst case the engine stalls or blows up.

People were also talking about kick starting and adjusting the timing. If you have your spark at TDC or somewhat advanced and your engine is running really slowly, so there's no flywheel inertia to carry it forwards -- for instance, if you are just starting the engine -- there's a chance that the fuel igniting on the upstroke will push the piston backwards. Because of the way kick starters are geared, when this happens the starter lever will kick upwards hard, and depending on the size of the engine and how unlucky you are it might sprain your ankle or blow out your knee or launch you off the bike. So as a safety strategy, you set the spark to fire way late in the power stroke, when the piston is already heading down ("timing retard") and that prevents any kickback. Once it's running you quickly return to normal timing.

By the 1940s, bikes were starting to get mechanical advancers that adjust the timing automatically using a set of weights and springs. As the advancer spins faster, the weights fly out to the side (think of the spinny ball governor on top of a train) and push a set of cams that move the ignition points to fire earlier, advancing the timing. As the engine slows down, the springs pull the advancer arms back in and the timing retards. Here's a nice little video of how that works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcmkbQVPz9E&t=50s

Early electronic ignition systems still used mechanical advancers, but replaced the points with a magnetic pickup and a small microprocessor. Later electronic ignition uses a crankshaft position sensor and a lookup table that fires each spark at the correct time based on crank position, engine speed, engine load, throttle position, fuel quality, etc. for maximum power and efficiency.

:science:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I like the little rituals. It makes me feel sort of like a fighter pilot. Even my CL350s have a few things you have to go through:

Get on bike
Turn key
Headlight on
Open petcock
Choke on
Killswitch on
Flip out kick starter
Kick bike
Blip throttle once or twice for effect
Visor down
Kickstand up
Vroom

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sagebrush posted:

it might sprain your ankle or blow out your knee or launch you off the bike.

Some jerk advanced the timing (Dyna) on this YZ450 with a broken decomp lever. He brought it into the shop saying he was having trouble getting it started.

So, first thing I do is give it a quick kick and it rolls through the cycle. Then I really jump on it, the bitch fires about halfway through the stroke, and the kickstarter launches me rear end-over-kettle.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

I like the little rituals. It makes me feel sort of like a fighter pilot. Even my CL350s have a few things you have to go through:
Well obviously, but there's only one or two steps to actually get the engine started. The blip throttle for effect step is important though.

Engine starting ritual:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEurohAwrmA&t=45s

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Bikes admittedly the easiest start in the fleet. essentially hop and go. Takes about an hour to ready the bus for running..

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well obviously, but there's only one or two steps to actually get the engine started. The blip throttle for effect step is important though.

Engine starting ritual:

Someday I would like to build a motorcycle that starts with an inertia starter. Totally unnecessary on a small engine, of course, but dat sound :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd_xVtcG5Dc&t=164s

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

Someday I would like to build a motorcycle that starts with an inertia starter. Totally unnecessary on a small engine, of course, but dat sound :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd_xVtcG5Dc&t=164s

When I first discovered inertial starters, the sound absolutely flabbergasted me, because dammit, that's a broken hyperdrive!.

Butt Science
Sep 3, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

Just get a VMAX, those are pretty comfortable

Flail wildly into oncoming traffic...in comfort.

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

Engine starting ritual:

This is amazing.

How many old farmers just stuck their half-smoked cigarette into the cylinder instead?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Pre-K Bikini Carwash posted:

Flail wildly into oncoming traffic...in comfort.

Here's a cool one for sale
http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/5693424780.html

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Harley Killer

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

I'm hoping murder suicide.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm the Imperial Japanese rising sun on the tank and the (American) Flying Tigers shark mouth on the side, I guess.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

craigslist posted:

odometer: 3585

wow, that can't be right can it?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Sagebrush posted:

I'm the Imperial Japanese rising sun on the tank and the (American) Flying Tigers shark mouth on the side, I guess.

Sixth grade me thinks that poo poo is the coolest.

He also liked Smashmouth, and missed out on the Attitude Era because he was busy yelling about how fake wrestling was, while the Matrix was his favorite movie.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Just the shark teeth intake would have been cool though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The fake gauges on the carb slide caps are intensely annoying but other from that it's pretty cool IMO.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

I'm the clubman bars on a muscle cruiser

I'm pretty sure that's all printed on vinyl, so at least it's easy to remove.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Here's a T-shirt designed by someone who does not know motorcycles.

Under the sticker says "ignition circuit breaker" and is pointing to the cylinder head.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Deeters posted:

Here's a T-shirt designed by someone who does not know motorcycles.

Under the sticker says "ignition circuit breaker" and is pointing to the cylinder head.

Thank God, they labeled the headlight!

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Hahahaha, I have a pic of the same shirt, forgot to post it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gas cap = Spark advance

Also the horn is in the gas tank.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I kind of want that shirt now for the same reason that these are hilarious

Space Whale