Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

What does Close Range Coating on Bows actually do? Does it just buff the big goofy arrow swing or is it like a buff to shooting stuff while being right up in its junk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So for elemental/status numbers, you basically just add a zero on the end to make it like it would've looked in previous games, yeah?

Kut-Ku's GS had like 22 Fire, so it'd be 220? Just making sure I got this before I go upgrading things.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Yep that's exactly what they've done.

also.

Beware the H I P C H E C K

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Crowetron posted:

What does Close Range Coating on Bows actually do? Does it just buff the big goofy arrow swing or is it like a buff to shooting stuff while being right up in its junk?

I believe the latter. Sweet spot extends from whatever is normal right up to the monster's face.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Minrad posted:

I believe the latter. Sweet spot extends from whatever is normal right up to the monster's face.

Time to throw away any bow that can't use Close Range Coating

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

ChibiSoma posted:

So for elemental/status numbers, you basically just add a zero on the end to make it like it would've looked in previous games, yeah?

Kut-Ku's GS had like 22 Fire, so it'd be 220? Just making sure I got this before I go upgrading things.

Yeah, although technically you should divide the old ones since japanese games like lying about numbers for no reason.

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
I mained SnS in 4U but its weapon arts make it more satisfying for me to use in Generations. Especially getting a KO with Shoryugeki!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Are there any resources on how defense (the stat) works?

I just realised I've been neglecting to upgrade my armor for a long while, and I just finished my Nargacuga set so I decided to upgrade it and... It's 172 defense vs. my other assorted sets which are around 60 defense. :downs:

The Worst Bear
Jul 25, 2012

Do I look like a reasonable man to you, or a peppermint nightmare?
This may have been brought up, but about ten pages have gone by since I last pulled myself out of game long enough to check this thread: Whenever I save, there is a slight catch in the audio. I've never seen this happen in any prior MH games and I was just wondering if anyone else has that happen.

Also, is there any way to back up your saves in this game? I've been a bit nervous as I had an issue in which the nu3DSXL wasn't recognizing the SD card right after I downloaded MHX and the theme that came with it the day they came out. It culminated in my system being unable to recognize anything (software, themes, badges, etc) until I restarted and deleted the theme. Everything sorted out after that and I've since redownloaded the theme without issue so I assume some files were just corrupted for whatever reason. But still, I'm 70 hours in and would hate to lose it.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Crowetron posted:

mkaes your critical/1.5x damage range include close to the monster

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

BMan posted:

Note that in adept this does the shield bash, which also knocks your teammates around.

Oh that would explain things. So what's the BNB for adept SNS

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
I've been having fun with the Hunting Horn recently, just constantly playing little tunes with my attacks and then triggering them. But am I doing any damage? Is it worth my time to just be playing tunes the entire fight, or is there a bread and butter combo I should be doing between R presses?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm trying out the bowguns some more and I'm so garbage at using different shots (as well as picking weapons which have good ones) :smith: I also don't understand how anyone manages to use the Heavy Bowgun solo because it's sooo slow and the main draw requires you to stand still which I can't imagine doing against 90% of the Monsters I've fought (since the time between their attacks is super short). I went Adept with both, and it's great to be able to adept evade out of siege mode but I can still only get like 1-2 shots off before the enemy is right up in my face again.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Should I always be trying to aim for the head regardless of weapon, or is it still okay if I hit other body parts? I'm poo poo awful at positioning, and always end up hitting Tetsu's side or legs. I'm wondering if that's why it takes me so long to kill them.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Your Computer posted:

I'm trying out the bowguns some more and I'm so garbage at using different shots (as well as picking weapons which have good ones) :smith: I also don't understand how anyone manages to use the Heavy Bowgun solo because it's sooo slow and the main draw requires you to stand still which I can't imagine doing against 90% of the Monsters I've fought (since the time between their attacks is super short). I went Adept with both, and it's great to be able to adept evade out of siege mode but I can still only get like 1-2 shots off before the enemy is right up in my face again.

You're only meant to go into siege mode when you have a large opening to get several shots in. It takes too long to go in and out of it in the middle of a fight. But when a monster is tripped, it's a great time to go hog wild. You're better off just firing normal shots when the monster is running around.

When you watch people do speed runs, they'll be in siege mode a lot of the time. Because they'll be rocking end game equips and will make the monster flinch constantly. Especially when using pierce against the bigger guys.

If the monster is constantly in your face for pierce you might want to invest in the evade distance skill. It'll help a lot with repositioning.

Bananasaurus Rex fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 23, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

You're only meant to go into siege mode when you have a large opening to get several shots in. It takes too long to go in and out of it in the middle of a fight. But when a monster is tripped, it's a great time to go hog wild. You're better off just firing normal shots when the monster is running around.

When you watch people do speed runs, they'll be in siege mode a lot of the time. Because they'll be rocking end game equips and will make the monster flinch constantly. Especially when using pierce against the bigger guys.

If the monster is constantly in your face for pierce you might want to invest in the evade distance skill. It'll help a lot with repositioning.

Yeah, I figured as much.. Still, maybe it's just because I'm bad at the weapon but it doesn't really feel powerful enough to deserve being that slow to me, especially stuff like the reload animation and sheathe/unsheathe and the fact that you have so few shots per clip.

That said, anyone got good recommendations for Good™ bowguns (both types) at around Village 5?

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010

Crowetron posted:

As others have mentioned it changes the critical distance minimum to point blank.
But it also gives you white sharpness on your melee attack, normally it has green sharpness.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Pollyanna posted:

Should I always be trying to aim for the head regardless of weapon, or is it still okay if I hit other body parts? I'm poo poo awful at positioning, and always end up hitting Tetsu's side or legs. I'm wondering if that's why it takes me so long to kill them.

Head usually (but not always) takes the most damage so for early monsters yeah. Plus most of them only have head breaks and they drop rare parts from them. If you break Tetsu's big tusks in particular he gets a lot less threatening since his rock balls get way smaller, he scoops slower and when he breaks them you don't stagger.

Later on Monsters get more breakable parts you will want to aim for, and being in front of/near their head can sometimes be stupid or impossible.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm not sure what I was expecting the ending to be but it wasn't this.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Wait did 4u / this make the horn easier to use?

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Do you need to do something specific to unlock the crafting of gear from hyper monsters? I have the materials to make several pieces of this set but it doesn't show up in the crafting list.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Your Computer posted:

Are there any resources on how defense (the stat) works?

I just realised I've been neglecting to upgrade my armor for a long while, and I just finished my Nargacuga set so I decided to upgrade it and... It's 172 defense vs. my other assorted sets which are around 60 defense. :downs:
In 4u it was https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DAJON2osbnX6CjeCNrF4LYQssgnlxS2XAVILpkejrmk/edit?usp=sharing

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Mystic Mongol posted:

I've been having fun with the Hunting Horn recently, just constantly playing little tunes with my attacks and then triggering them. But am I doing any damage? Is it worth my time to just be playing tunes the entire fight, or is there a bread and butter combo I should be doing between R presses?

Horn is really strong, and you don't have to worry about bouncing since you should have the attack deflection buff at all times along with movement speed. Your R itself actually does decent dmg too, last time I checked, so I usually try to buff while hitting the monster, and then play a song while hitting the monster. The double note also makes replaying/reapplying songs really easy too since you can play a buff, and then aim to hit the monster twice with your X-X song, and play that in order to play your last song again very quickly, since double notes play two songs. Basically the addition of double note encourages you to hit the monster and means you don't necessarily have to encore all your songs now. Course, you could also use the art that turns all your notes in doubles too if you wanna play it safe, and buff like a boss. I also use the X-A-X-A combo whenever I feel like just bashing the monster though, since I've been running aerial so that's become my main combo that's not a song.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 23, 2016

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Triarii posted:

Do you need to do something specific to unlock the crafting of gear from hyper monsters? I have the materials to make several pieces of this set but it doesn't show up in the crafting list.
I think you are asking about this?

https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/4u7hyg/mhgen_unlocking_rfamily_armour/

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

I would just add that, if you're in a group with a hammer or a hunting horn, try to give them some priority on the head. Focus on the tail, if possible. The hammer and hunting horn have the best chance of stunning the monster with their attacks, so it's best to let them do their thing. They'll definitely end up cracking it open in the process.

I mostly mention this because it sucks to have a long sword bro ignoring the tail and knocking me around at the head.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

I would just add that, if you're in a group with a hammer or a hunting horn, try to give them some priority on the head. Focus on the tail, if possible. The hammer and hunting horn have the best chance of stunning the monster with their attacks, so it's best to let them do their thing. They'll definitely end up cracking it open in the process.

Yeah, I managed to stun Tetsu a couple times when I did solo Aerial Hammer, but even then I still got my rear end kicked. Maybe I should play multiplayer more often. Clearly, solo requires different strategies than multi.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Allarion posted:

Horn is really strong, and you don't have to worry about bouncing since you should have the attack deflection buff at all times along with movement speed. Your R itself actually does decent dmg too, last time I checked, so I usually try to buff while hitting the monster, and then play a song while hitting the monster. The double note also makes replaying/reapplying songs really easy too since you can play a buff, and then aim to hit the monster twice with your X-X song, and play that in order to play your last song again very quickly, since double notes play two songs. Basically the addition of double note encourages you to hit the monster and means you don't necessarily have to encore all your songs now. Course, you could also use the art that turns all your notes in doubles too if you wanna play it safe, and buff like a boss. I also use the X-A-X-A combo whenever I feel like just bashing the monster though, since I've been running aerial so that's become my main combo that's not a song.

Wait, the basic WW song reapplies the previous song as well as the WW effect? Is that new to this game? I've noticed two song effects popping up sometimes and figured it was just reminding me of another buff I had or something.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Wait, the basic WW song reapplies the previous song as well as the WW effect? Is that new to this game? I've noticed two song effects popping up sometimes and figured it was just reminding me of another buff I had or something.

Double notes (aka. when you hit the enemy) will play the current song and the previous song. Gives you an incentive to actually attack the monster and not just stand around hitting the air to play songs.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

The Worst Bear posted:

This may have been brought up, but about ten pages have gone by since I last pulled myself out of game long enough to check this thread: Whenever I save, there is a slight catch in the audio. I've never seen this happen in any prior MH games and I was just wondering if anyone else has that happen.

Also, is there any way to back up your saves in this game? I've been a bit nervous as I had an issue in which the nu3DSXL wasn't recognizing the SD card right after I downloaded MHX and the theme that came with it the day they came out. It culminated in my system being unable to recognize anything (software, themes, badges, etc) until I restarted and deleted the theme. Everything sorted out after that and I've since redownloaded the theme without issue so I assume some files were just corrupted for whatever reason. But still, I'm 70 hours in and would hate to lose it.

I'm not getting this audio hitch. Your SD card may be on the fritz.

May want to follow this and replace the SD card.
http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/70/p/430/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDY5MjkxOTE1L3NpZC9IcVl6dWZXbQ%3D%3D

Otherwise I don't think the save backup feature is useful for any purpose beside keeping a copy of the save data archived without needing the software. It probably can't be used like a windows restore point and revert to an earlier iteration of the save data. Nintendo has such a bizarre digital software setup.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Kaldaris posted:

Holy poo poo. That is so loving helpful and instantly makes the sites I'm looking at make sense. Thank you.

Keep an eye out at that bottom-most guide in menus, I think it's on the bottom screen. They like to hide additional info/menus there, usually accessed with Y.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Your Computer posted:

Aerial style is so broken for solo HBG and it's hilarious. Rolling out of siege makes it easier to use, you do a ton of damage safely from the air, and you don't really lose much in arts since most of the HBG ones seem weak or not worth it.

Basically use X+A to launch over the monster and press X when you land to go straight into siege while facing the monster. You get a ton of free shots while it takes its sweet time repositioning and flinching from your shots, and then you just roll away and use aerial rolls to get distance again. Feels great with the nargacuga set's evade extender in LR.

As for a good gun around that rank, get the Najarala one. Sieges Normal S2 for cheap and effective ammo against anything, and holds a ton of pellet shots for using while you learn the gun. Can fire Para for online play and has some okay internal ammo in Sting/Armor/Dung(?). Plus it just looks dang cool. I believe it can upgrade into Seregios gun, which reloads an ammo on rolls if you wanna switch to adept style once you get a feel for gunning. (plus it seiges piercing I think?)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kaldaris posted:

Holy poo poo. That is so loving helpful and instantly makes the sites I'm looking at make sense. Thank you.

This game is really obtuse at times. There's nothing wrong with just looking up guides on YouTube.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Your Computer posted:

Yeah, I figured as much.. Still, maybe it's just because I'm bad at the weapon but it doesn't really feel powerful enough to deserve being that slow to me, especially stuff like the reload animation and sheathe/unsheathe and the fact that you have so few shots per clip.

That said, anyone got good recommendations for Good™ bowguns (both types) at around Village 5?
HBG does really, really dumb damage, you just have to get a knack for hitting critical zones and using the right ammo for the job. My advice would be to get used to aiming quickly; tap L to center on the monster, hold R and nudge the control pad toward the head etc, then fire away until you empty the clip or the monster charges toward you. Adept dodge INTO monster attacks to maximize your chance of proccing it, and get superpowered reloads out of it. If you use gunpowder infusion, you can tap it immediately after starting to reload to cancel the reload animation and get both! If you're good about keeping critical distance, you should be able to have gunpowder infusion up pretty much 100% of the time, which helps a ton.

This is basic, but sheathe the HBG if you need to move quickly.

I could use some bowgun recommendations for late LR myself, looking to transfer from HBG to elemental and status gunning with LBG but not sure where to start.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I have a requested quest "Palico Armory (1)" where I have to deliver some items. In the request log it says "report" next to it, but I have no idea who I'm supposed to talk to to turn this in, and no one has speech bubbles over their head. Is there something I'm missing?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Has anyone in this thread ever used a tranq throwing knife?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

The Moon Monster posted:

Has anyone in this thread ever used a tranq throwing knife?

It still takes two, just that the circumstances for using a tranq knife are so ridiculous it essentially never comes up.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Jmcrofts posted:

I have a requested quest "Palico Armory (1)" where I have to deliver some items. In the request log it says "report" next to it, but I have no idea who I'm supposed to talk to to turn this in, and no one has speech bubbles over their head. Is there something I'm missing?

Talk to Neko (Means Cat) or your housekeeper's Trade menu and choose Villager Requests.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.
Where would the soonest place to find Armor Sphere+'s be?

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

SilverGryphon posted:

Where would the soonest place to find Armor Sphere+'s be?
http://mhgen.kiranico.com/item/armor-sphere+

Alternatively if you don't find that site useful: Low Rank Volcano online, in locations starting at Village 4* offline, it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Internet Friend posted:

Talk to Neko (Means Cat) or your housekeeper's Trade menu and choose Villager Requests.

Thank you kindly

• Locked thread