Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

verbal enema posted:

how do i do a naval invasion?

You need naval superiority of 50% or more in every sea zone from your origin to your ending point. You'll click on the army that you want to use and above the general's head at the bottom of your screen, you'll see an anchor sign at the left of the ribbon. Click that and it'll start the amphibious invasion planning. Click the origin zone where you want the troops to start from (it has to have a naval base). Then right click on the ending zone (it should turn orange, I think). Hit enter. Now your general will start reserving transports and begin "planning". The more divisions you put into this plan, the longer it'll take. Click the "go" arrow to execute, just as you would any other plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
thanks GO gently caress YOURSELF

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

verbal enema posted:

thanks GO gently caress YOURSELF

Sure thing! That was one of the many pains-in-the-rear end I tried to unravel when I played as the USA

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Why does it take so long to "plan" a naval invasion anyway? All you have to do is get some transport ships, load them up with men and a few truckloads of supplies, inform the captain of their landing site and send them off. One day at the most. Based on my let's play watching most landings are completely unopposed anyway so it doesn't matter how much Sun Tzu is spinning in his grave. After the landing it's always just an attack to the port in the next province or entrenching while construction workers are magically acquiring the materials to build a port. There's no need to meticulously plan for every last sock or lollipop.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
As someone that thinks the Warhammer games are insanely confusing and complicated, can I play this game or no

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Is it just me, or should the US "Destroyers for Bases" focus actually, y'know, require you to give destroyers to Britain?

Also, the "Pearl Harbor Gambit" focus is moronic. It doesn't get you anything if Japan decides not to attack, and if it does it's basically "here, sacrifice a bunch of your Battleships" in exchange for a war declaration. You could get the same just by declaring war on Germany.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

Poil posted:

Why does it take so long to "plan" a naval invasion anyway? All you have to do is get some transport ships, load them up with men and a few truckloads of supplies, inform the captain of their landing site and send them off. One day at the most. Based on my let's play watching most landings are completely unopposed anyway so it doesn't matter how much Sun Tzu is spinning in his grave. After the landing it's always just an attack to the port in the next province or entrenching while construction workers are magically acquiring the materials to build a port. There's no need to meticulously plan for every last sock or lollipop.

It took 6 months to plan the invasion of Sicily, and D-day took an entire year.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

beergod posted:

As someone that thinks the Warhammer games are insanely confusing and complicated, can I play this game or no

If you can 1) figure out how to build factories to make enough production lines for your boys' equipment and tanks, 2) draw front lines and attack arrows on a map like it's your dad's favorite History Channel show, and 3) remember to research new tech and follow your nation's foreign/domestic policy flowchart, then you're 75% of the way to fully playing the game. The game gives you notifications if you fail to do these three things anyways.

Naval and Air combat are a bit hosed ATM, so unless you're playing as Britain / USA / Japan I wouldn't worry too much about trying to master it other than the fundamentals of "more planes/boats = better than" and "guard your airspace/sea lanes." The developers patch their games fairly regularly so it probably won't be a standing issue.

Also, Italy is the "tutorial nation" and I guarantee you that you'll do better than they did historically.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

this is a stickup posted:

It took 6 months to plan the invasion of Sicily, and D-day took an entire year.
So? I fail to see how that matters at all if you're only using at most ten divisions and not attacking fortified positions. Just land on an unguarded beach/fishing village and get ready to move out. If there's enemy soldiers there things might get bad but the AI is terrible at defending coast from what I've seen so there aren't any in most cases. You don't need excessive planning for that. :v:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
This is the Sahara wasteland mods you should be using. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=723719279

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Poil posted:

So? I fail to see how that matters at all if you're only using at most ten divisions and not attacking fortified positions. Just land on an unguarded beach/fishing village and get ready to move out. If there's enemy soldiers there things might get bad but the AI is terrible at defending coast from what I've seen so there aren't any in most cases. You don't need excessive planning for that. :v:

You land on the beach. 12 hours later you realize that the loading masters back home just threw everything they had into the ships and no one made a list what went where. There are no labor parties at the beach nor is there a plan for unloading. Your troops starve because you literally don't know on which ship the food is. In their desperation, your troops start eating whatever grows around them and looks edible. Soon, 50% of your force are down with various forms of food poisoning. They can't be evacuated because no one thought to designate a ship to serve as a hospital or evacuation transport. When you designate a ship, no doctors can be found. They are somewhere in your landing fleet, but because you don't have a list of personnel, you aren't sure where.

A week later, an enemy counter-attack walks right through your line because your frontline troops ran out of ammo for their machine guns - they have plenty of construction timber and venereal disease awareness posters, though.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

ArchangeI posted:

You land on the beach. 12 hours later you realize that the loading masters back home just threw everything they had into the ships and no one made a list what went where. There are no labor parties at the beach nor is there a plan for unloading. Your troops starve because you literally don't know on which ship the food is. In their desperation, your troops start eating whatever grows around them and looks edible. Soon, 50% of your force are down with various forms of food poisoning. They can't be evacuated because no one thought to designate a ship to serve as a hospital or evacuation transport. When you designate a ship, no doctors can be found. They are somewhere in your landing fleet, but because you don't have a list of personnel, you aren't sure where.

A week later, an enemy counter-attack walks right through your line because your frontline troops ran out of ammo for their machine guns - they have plenty of construction timber and venereal disease awareness posters, though.

Welcome to Operation Sealion

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Poil posted:

Did you watch Saving Private Ryan? Did you see all the poo poo they had? Guns in plastic bags, engineers ready to blow patches of hedgehogs in pre-planned paths to let tanks through. poo poo, they designed a whole new variant of the Sherman, the duplex drive, which is effectively a Sherman in a little bubble boat. (Didn't work.) They spent months probing the beaches with special scouting teams, trying to probe at where the sand shoals were, where all the mines where and where it would be possible to park their boats at. All with the fear that they needed to drop in as much as possible at the same time or a German counteract would hit them in piecemeal.

And that was a short hop across the channel.

Naval invasions are huge undertakings. The island hopping campaign took a while.

That said, the time is 7*#-of-divisions, so use less.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

(Didn't work.)

Worked fine when the idiot navy guys didn't drop them off too far from shore!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Poil posted:

I too am angry that this game doesn't allow players to recreate the Dieppe Raid.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Enjoy posted:

Worked fine when the idiot navy guys didn't drop them off too far from shore!

Wasn't it determined that a cross current was what sunk them at Omaha Beach or was that something I'm mis-remembering/got proven wrong? They worked at most of the other beaches though.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Alright, I conceit defeat. It would be an idea as bad as tying anti-tank mines to dogs.

Couldn't the game simulate a moronically unprepared landing by starting it at 0 organization or something? Kinda combining the slowness of sailing with the horribleness of paradropping?

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

Nebiros posted:

Wasn't it determined that a cross current was what sunk them at Omaha Beach or was that something I'm mis-remembering/got proven wrong? They worked at most of the other beaches though.

A cross current was carrying them off of their designated landing site so they were turning against the current to stay on course. When they did waves started breaking over the side and swamped them, would have been fine if they kept going straight.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Main Paineframe posted:

I too am angry that this game doesn't allow players to recreate the Dieppe Raid.

Does the game let you pull off the Doolitte Raid as the USA?

Eimi fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 24, 2016

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
you can recreate dieppe and Doolittle raids just fine. For the former just drop 6000 unsupported infantry off on a random German held port and let it roll. For the latter, send a handful of carrier based bombers on a strategic bombing mission against mainland Japan.

the overall contributions of these particular missions to the war effort will mimic their real-life counterparts

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

Poil posted:

It would be an idea as bad as tying anti-tank mines to dogs.

Couldn't the game simulate a moronically unprepared landing by starting it at 0 organization or something?

Both of these are good ideas.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

bewbies posted:

you can recreate dieppe and Doolittle raids just fine. For the former just drop 6000 unsupported infantry off on a random German held port and let it roll. For the latter, send a handful of carrier based bombers on a strategic bombing mission against mainland Japan.

the overall contributions of these particular missions to the war effort will mimic their real-life counterparts

I thought you could only put carrier planes on a carrier. I'm guessing normal tactical bombers are just a loss at efficiency?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Question for those who have completed a Germany playthrough:

After taking the British isles, did you bother fortifying Europe/Britain/Norway with troops? Or is the Atlantic a big enough distance that the US can't just launch an naval invasion across it?

I'm tempted to create a new division template with half strength infantry divisions just for coastline defense. But the coastline is so long...

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 24, 2016

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Away all Goats posted:

Question for those who have completed a Germany playthrough:

After taking the British isles, did you bother fortifying Europe/Britain/Norway with troops? Or is the Atlantic a big enough distance that the US can't just launch an naval invasion across it?

I'm tempted to create a new division template with half strength infantry divisions just for coastline defense. But the coastline is so long...

I did, but that's more because Russia is a supply hell so I had to keep troops back to stop everyone from starving. The AI tends to only attack ports if you want to be lazy about things, though the USA never really bothered me.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Speaking of amphibious assaults, I was bashing my head off the invasion of Japan for a while. Nothing seemed to work. They ate seven nukes. I had 1200 strategic bombers pounding them day and night. Marine assaults on the ports just bounced off.

In the end what worked was landing two armoured divisions on either side of the port, then assaulting it while out of supply. Kinda feel like a chump for researching and building marine divisions now.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Surprised Japan had any units left to defend - in all my play throughs (mostly China) the entire force is gone by that point.

But what worked really well for me was having 4-5 different generals planning 10 division invasions simultaneously so that I could keep continuous combat and not give them time to regain org.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

ulmont posted:

Surprised Japan had any units left to defend - in all my play throughs (mostly China) the entire force is gone by that point.

But what worked really well for me was having 4-5 different generals planning 10 division invasions simultaneously so that I could keep continuous combat and not give them time to regain org.

I guess that might work too. I think the reason they had an army on the home islands for me was that I was playing France and Nationalist China did particularly well and kicked them out of Asia a good few months before I started attacking.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
How much longer are the swedes on vacation? Hankering for more content/patches that fix the AI.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Dongattack posted:

How much longer are the swedes on vacation? Hankering for more content/patches that fix the AI.
The Swedish summer holiday traditionally ends September 5th.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Gort posted:

Speaking of amphibious assaults, I was bashing my head off the invasion of Japan for a while. Nothing seemed to work. They ate seven nukes. I had 1200 strategic bombers pounding them day and night. Marine assaults on the ports just bounced off.

In the end what worked was landing two armoured divisions on either side of the port, then assaulting it while out of supply. Kinda feel like a chump for researching and building marine divisions now.

You can select multiple provinces to land in with a naval invasion; selecting one will jsut dump everyone on the same spot. So in the future, put your marines in a three wide drop zone around the port target. A third will attack the port directly (a bit stupidly) and the other two will land on either side and then reinforce the battle.

Non-marine targets landing lose basically all organization, so it should be avoided.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The Swedish summer holiday traditionally ends September 5th.

Is that the day of the blót or the day after?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

cool and good posted:

Is that the day of the blót or the day after?

That's in November

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Gamerofthegame posted:

You can select multiple provinces to land in with a naval invasion; selecting one will jsut dump everyone on the same spot. So in the future, put your marines in a three wide drop zone around the port target. A third will attack the port directly (a bit stupidly) and the other two will land on either side and then reinforce the battle.

Non-marine targets landing lose basically all organization, so it should be avoided.

This but without using marines or attacking the port directly

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Easiest naval invasion is just to land troops in unguarded provinces and build new naval bases there.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Wooper posted:

Easiest naval invasion is just to land troops in unguarded provinces and build new naval bases there.

Only works if they aren't going to be attacked anytime in the next month, though.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So has there been any discussion (or mods) about turning over naval units after a peace conference? To the best of my knowledge it doesn't happen currently, but it kind of seems like it should...even if it might need some balancing down the road.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah, it would be interesting if it only impacted ships in port if the nation is in a surviving faction and included a dice roll for scuttling at capitulation/peace conference or something. Hope someone makes that cause im far too dumb to do it.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Is there still currently no fix to just boot allies out of your territory or revoke military access?

Cus gently caress, I accidentally clicked ok to the invite faction button and now hundreds of lovely japanese division are all over Europe and I can barely tell wtf is going on anymore with all the division spam. gently caress this game at times.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Fast speeds become really slow once im at 100% world tension. Is there any planned fix for this , or is it something to deal with in these kinds of games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Avocados posted:

Fast speeds become really slow once im at 100% world tension. Is there any planned fix for this , or is it something to deal with in these kinds of games?

Don't know. They already did one major fix of it in the first patch. At release it basically wasn't playable passed 1942.