Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

SuperDucky posted:

If Beyond had only had the opening ten and closing ten minutes, it would have been okay. What utter poo poo otherwise. I'd rather go rewatch Nemesis.

Ouch, don't cut yourself on that edge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

It's me. I'm the guy who actually quite likes the Discovery design.

When I squint my eyes and try to imagine it with better rendering I can see how it may not be THAT bad. I actually like what they're doing with that groove in the saucer. The stardrive is ugly as gently caress, though, no way around it.

My theory now is that the nod to lost 70's-era Trek design is because they're setting it in that particular lost era: post 5-year-mission, pre-TMP.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Drink-Mix Man posted:

My theory now is that the nod to lost 70's-era Trek design is because they're setting it in that particular lost era: post 5-year-mission, pre-TMP.

I've always wanted Xon, but his whole thing got transplanted to Data so I'm not sure how much a retread of Data would be all that entertaining. What I really want is Arex and the cat girl.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

SuperDucky posted:

Jesus you loving nerds, I'm frankly shocked at all the love Beyond is getting. Especially because they tried to go to warp explicitly and immediately after the goddamn deflector had been destroyed.

Wow look at this nerd who doesn't know about the auxiliary deflector in the primary hull.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I reinstalled ST: Bridge Commander with Kobayashi Maru mod.

First thing I did was engage a couple of Galor class in an Exelsior. Destroyed one, and the other surrendered.

...I kept firing, and it launched escape pods. I spent two whole minutes zapping the poor helpless Cardassians with my phasers. :gonk:

Maybe Starfleet isn't for me.

Does anyone play this at all? Wouldn't mind doing some multiplayer.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Kirk sure did take his loving time sounding abandon ship though.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I have to say after playing KSP I'm really impressed at how gracefully the Enterprise failed. Coming in at Mach 15 with holes in the hull and it's still in one piece at the end, and some systems even work? That's the kind of engineering that builds sufficiently advanced mega structures.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Falken posted:

First thing I did was engage a couple of Galor class in an Exelsior. Destroyed one, and the other surrendered.

...I kept firing, and it launched escape pods. I spent two whole minutes zapping the poor helpless Cardassians with my phasers. :gonk:

Maybe Starfleet isn't for me.

Captain Maxwell? Is that you?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
This thing is absurd looking and I love it

Fighters are always neat. We never see CAS in any Trek do we?

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Subyng posted:

Better than the alternative. Besides, given how warp drive is supposed to work, you shouldn't actually need the deflector for that purpose.

I'm shocked because it was awful.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

SuperDucky posted:

Care to elaborate at all?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

There is no "quantum flux". There's no "auxiliary". THERE'S NO GODDAMNED SHIP. You got it?

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Care to elaborate at all?

My initial reaction after watching:

quote:

If Beyond had only had the opening ten and closing ten minutes, it would have been okay. What utter poo poo otherwise. I'd rather go rewatch Nemesis.

It'd be one thing if it was fan service. It'd be one thing if it was an action movie. It'd be one thing if it was a Star Trek movie. It'd be one thing if it was trying to introduce the new series cogently. It failed at all of those missions because there are too many cooks in the kitchen. You can't have CBS and Bad Robot and Justin Lin and Simon Pegg trying to make the same movie.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

SuperDucky posted:

Actually, it's good.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I just came back from seeing Beyond, mostly so I could start clicking spoiler bars in this thread.

I liked it! When I realized that they were weaponizing "Sabotage" to kill the swarm I got a big ol grin on my face. It actually made the trailer better in retrospect.

I also teared up a bit when Spock found that photo of the old crew.

SuperDucky posted:

It'd be one thing if it was fan service. It'd be one thing if it was an action movie. It'd be one thing if it was a Star Trek movie. It'd be one thing if it was trying to introduce the new series cogently. It failed at all of those missions because there are too many cooks in the kitchen. You can't have CBS and Bad Robot and Justin Lin and Simon Pegg trying to make the same movie.

Saying you'd rather "rewatch Nemesis" is some harsh loving words though.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

SuperDucky posted:

:goonsay:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

STB opened around $60 million, which is I think slightly above what the studio expected

Subyng
May 4, 2013

SuperDucky posted:

It succeeded at all of those things except trying to introduce the new series, which wasn't even an objective because CBS's new series has nothing to do with Paramount's movie franchise.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FlamingLiberal posted:

STB opened around $60 million, which is I think slightly above what the studio expected

I read it was projected at $55 million.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's sadly quite a bad performance in the scheme of previous Trek openings but what can you do.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
You're saying you can't have a studio, a production company, a writer, and a director all trying to make the same movie

Because I got some news for ya

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
It's kinda hilarious and hosed that I watched Beyond and saw how amazing and cool Yorktown station looked, then saw the Discovery footage and saw the complete polar opposite.

Also yeah, I did notice they tried to warp out after they broke the navigational deflector, but it didn't bother me that much because I'm not diagnosed with autism

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

In my opinion the Wasp there looks better than any other ship we've seen in Trek. It actually looks like a real spaceship might look in the future.

As for the fighters? That's not what Trek is about.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Thom12255 posted:

It's sadly quite a bad performance in the scheme of previous Trek openings but what can you do.
I hope the international gross is high because I think the reported budget was around $180 mil

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

SuperDucky posted:

Actually, it succeeded at all of those things. The fan service was subtle, the production design was drenched in 60's aesthetics, the action was solid and coherent, and the overall tone and themes are par for the course for Star Trek films.

And you absolutely can have Pegg, Lin, and Paramount trying to make the same film, because that's how films are made. Movies are massive collaborations between hundreds of individuals and dozens of teams, culminating in a single finished product.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Apollodorus posted:

As for the fighters? That's not what Trek is about.

Even combat focused, Trek uses space as a naval allegory. You don't have fighters for the same reason you don't have little one seater boats zooming around enemy battleships with machine guns lobbing grenades onto the deck.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Gammatron 64 posted:

It's kinda hilarious and hosed that I watched Beyond and saw how amazing and cool Yorktown station looked, then saw the Discovery footage and saw the complete polar opposite.

Also yeah, I did notice they tried to warp out after they broke the navigational deflector, but it didn't bother me that much because I'm not diagnosed with autism

Actually you can go to warp without the defector but if you run into debris you'll gently caress up your hull right quickly, I remember this from one of the few good episodes of Voyager

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Gammatron 64 posted:

The Yorktown stuff was great and I'm premptively angry at every nerd who doesn't like it because it should look more like DS K-7 or mushroom shaped Earth Spacedock or Regula One or some other boring assemblage of metal tubes.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

CAS also don't really make sense when you don't have a horizon to project power over.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Orbital Support makes sense, and has probably happened in some episodes. The only one I can think of was Kirk ordering a phaser strike on the Hippy Planet's Computer God tho.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Gammatron 64 posted:

If all we have to look forward to is triangle ship and asteroid bases then the new Trek is going to be fairly disappointing. There is nothing awe-inspiring about that and its boring. They need to follow the example of Beyond and do new crazy things.

Who knows, maybe they are. In that case, why did they show us this boring badly made teaser and not concept art for some actual fun stuff?

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head
Maybe the Discovery people deliberately released a piece of poo poo teaser to lower everyone's expectations, much like the first Beyond trailer.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cardassia Prime was very nearly eradicated by orbital bombardment.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The last time I remember being really impressed by a space station like Yorktown was actually the Spacedock from Star Trek 3

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Since the Culture books seem borderline unfilmable I was grateful for provably my only chance to see an Orbital on the big screen.

Allen_Aldo
Jul 8, 2013
I was trying to figure out why the beginning of the Discovery video seemed to be a nod to 2001, then I remembered the ship in that movie was named discovery.

Does this mean the new trek will be heavily 2001 inspired like TMP?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tighclops posted:

The last time I remember being really impressed by a space station like Yorktown was actually the Spacedock from Star Trek 3

Ugh, I hate that giant space mushroom (much like I hate almost all of ILM's Trek designs).

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Tighclops posted:

Actually you can go to warp without the defector but if you run into debris you'll gently caress up your hull right quickly, I remember this from one of the few good episodes of Voyager

If we go with the idea that warp drive works by moving space itself, then you wouldn't need a deflector for warp because the relative velocity of everything inside the warp bubble is zero.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Allen_Aldo posted:

Does this mean the new trek will be heavily 2001 inspired like TMP?

Dear sweet Squire of Gothos I hope not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Timby posted:

Ugh, I hate that giant space mushroom (much like I hate almost all of ILM's Trek designs).

I don't mind it, but it doesn't make much sense. What happens when you build a ship wider than the doors? Suddenly your huge gently caress-off spacedock isn't compatible with the newest ships.