Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

Harveygod posted:

Also: The medallion franchise system. Decreased field size, which lead to revaluing points payouts, so essentially we're on Chase v4.1.

I'd also add

2005 - Duels from 125 to 150 miles
2007 - Bristol reconfigured / ruined, Toyota in Cup
2009 - Bud Shootout not about pole winners but top teams for each manufacturer
2010 - Random technical inspections of last-place finishers
2011 - Kentucky on Cup schedule, Sprint Summer Showdown, CoT front splitter brackets removed
2013 - Dodge out of Cup, 100% rule, AIR TITAN GO
2014 - Duels at night, multi-round qualifying(?)
2015 - Chase medical / legal accusation waivers
2016 - Kentucky reconfiguration, NXS heat races

And too many changes to the All Star race to count.

That is a ridiculously long list.

LASTCAR fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I keep forgetting the Charter system exists. Maybe it's suppression.

In more fun news, ARCA on FS1 now from :siren: IRP :siren:.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

It's funny seeing the gen 6 looking arca cars and the old arca cars racing together.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
There are going to be so many heat injuries at IMS today and tomorrow, holy poo poo. 99% humidity and 80 degrees. At 930 am.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

devmd01 posted:

There are going to be so many heat injuries at IMS today and tomorrow, holy poo poo. 99% humidity and 80 degrees. At 930 am.

this was how it was when I was at Mayhem Fest last year, not fun

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

devmd01 posted:

hiding in the shade under the stands, an IMS tradition

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Heat is one of the primary reasons I haven't gone to Mid-Ohio for either NXS or IndyCar despite being a little over an hour away.

The two races I've attended in the day at Daytona in July ('07 Busch, '14 400) were bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuutal. I took a cooler with four frozen water bottles and all of them were nearly thawed by the end of the race. I wore sandals the first time to try and keep my feet cool and almost burned them, so I wore tennis shoes in 2014 and wound up taking them off anyway.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Really pumped for the race tomorrow, despite the ESPN article about dwindling crowds and lack of luster at IMS bumming me out a bit. I'll be in the grass with a cooler, hopefully we can stay cool. I plan on being piss drunk while cheering for Stewart and Gordon. If any goons end up at the track, PM me and come say hey.

Supposed to be 102 by 11am. Fuckin' hell. Glad i'm not in the bleachers. Piss on that.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

I took a cooler with four frozen water bottles

TheHoosier posted:

I'll be in the grass with a cooler, hopefully we can stay cool. I plan on being piss drunk

'Atta boy.

(All joking aside drink water, 99% humidity is horrifying even for a Southern boy like me.)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Group qualifying is another NASCAR rule change in recent years which probably nobody cares about.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

e- gently caress, this was supposed to be an edit & addition to the previous post.

Expanding the list from before:

CBJSprague24 posted:

Gordon's doing a press conference right now and he mentions the aero package being more like 2014 than 2015 and also having to get used to the digital dash. The combination of that and Gluck's article gets me wondering how many changes in terms of rules and visible aspects of the sport there have been in the Brian France era of NASCAR. From memory:

2004- Nextel sponsorship, Chase v1.0 (10 drivers, anybody within 400 points), GWC in Cup and NXS, Southern 500 to November
2005- Rockingham off schedule, Impound races, Coil binding
2006-
2007- Chase v2.0 (The Dale Jr. Rule), CoT limited schedule, Bristol ruined
2008- CoT full schedule, Sprint sponsorship.
2009- Double-file restarts introduced, Bud Shootout rules start getting stupid.
2010- Boys Have At It, CoT trades wing for spoiler, NXS CoT introduced
2011- Chase v3.0 (Wild Cards), new points system, drivers must declare for one series' points, Ethanol, Kentucky in, one Atlanta out, Two-Car Tango.
2012- Fuel injection
2013- Gen 6, 100% Rule
2014- Chase v4.0 (Most Extreme Elimination Chase)
2015- Group qualifying, Widely-hated aero package, which led to trial runs for the 2016 package, NASCAR starts changing Chase eligibility rules at will.
2016- Charter system, reduced fields (slight modification to point system, Chase v4.1), new aero package, trial runs for 2017 package, Digital Dash, NXS & CWTS Chases, essentially meaningless NXS Heat Races, Caution Clock, NASCAR Overtime, NASCAR discipline system including negative comment penalties.

LASTCAR posted:

I'd also add

2005 - Duels from 125 to 150 miles
2007 - Bristol reconfigured / ruined, Toyota in Cup
2009 - Bud Shootout not about pole winners but top teams for each manufacturer
2010 - Random technical inspections of last-place finishers
2011 - Kentucky on Cup schedule, Sprint Summer Showdown, CoT front splitter brackets removed
2013 - Dodge out of Cup, 100% rule, AIR TITAN GO
2014 - Duels at night, multi-round qualifying(?)
2015 - Chase medical / legal accusation waivers
2016 - Kentucky reconfiguration, NXS heat races

And too many changes to the All Star race to count.

That is a ridiculously long list.

Some of those things weren't too bad. The Summer Showdown was a No Bull 5-like gimmick I wouldn't mind seeing back, AIR TITAN has improved rain delays, and the Duels being run at night are fine because people can actually watch them, but there are some other duds in there, too which I added above.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

This is true, but it's surprising how many gimmicks have been attempted in addition to the rule changes.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

I posted this last year, but gently caress it, it's hilarious, and we have a few new people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnqjTWUuz3Q

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

The Xfinity race looks like qualifying. I'm really confused.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Speaking of qualifying, did the #30 not make the show tomorrow? I just passed the hauler on 465 headed in the direction of home. :xd:

E: yup, just looked up qual results. Josh Wise sloooow.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 23, 2016

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

TheHoosier posted:

Really pumped for the race tomorrow, despite the ESPN article about dwindling crowds and lack of luster at IMS bumming me out a bit. I'll be in the grass with a cooler, hopefully we can stay cool. I plan on being piss drunk while cheering for Stewart and Gordon. If any goons end up at the track, PM me and come say hey.

Supposed to be 102 by 11am. Fuckin' hell. Glad i'm not in the bleachers. Piss on that.
I'm in the E penthouse section tomorrow. It will be miserable I'm sure.

I think next year we will stick to night races. And hotels. Camping in this humidity sucks.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

gently caress asphalt

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

iwentdoodie posted:

gently caress asphalt

this guy gets it

I'll be at this place, watching these next Friday

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

VikingSkull posted:

this guy gets it

I'll be at this place, watching these next Friday

gently caress yes.

I love racing period, but dirt track in any format is just the best.

Plus mullets.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
They tried to bring flat track bikes back to my local tonight after 30 years so naturally it pisses down all afternoon and it got cancelled

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jeff Gordon had to have changes made to his firesuit for this weekend because the "Four-Time Champion" logo below the Sprint Cup logo read "06-07-08-09" as his four titles.

'07 should be on there anyway. :argh:

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

07 should never have been on there 30 top 10's totally isn't a championship level of form.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The Croc posted:

07 should never have been on there 30 top 10's totally isn't a championship level of form.

Who is he, Matt Kenseth?

*canned laughter*

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

The eagle has landed. Cooler than expected with cloud cover. Fuckin hot without

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

TheHoosier posted:

The eagle has landed. Cooler than expected with cloud cover. Fuckin hot without
The breeze is nice at least. The sun can gently caress right off.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Traffic was backed up all to gently caress outside my house the morning of the Indy 500.

Not today. :greenangel:

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Honest question, do you just love making GBS threads on NASCAR? Your post history in this thread suggests so

I'm not innocent either

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I think kidc and I are the only two that don't, honestly

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Honest question, do you just love making GBS threads on NASCAR? Your post history in this thread suggests so

I'm not innocent either

pretty much yeah. I also poo poo on Indycar pretty constantly and I'd poo poo on F1 too if I bothered to watch it anymore or read the thread.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Fauxhawk Express posted:

pretty much yeah. I also poo poo on Indycar pretty constantly and I'd poo poo on F1 too if I bothered to watch it anymore or read the thread.

In fairness it's a pretty natural position as a wrestling poster

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

So much bizarro world stuff in that image.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Nbcsn has had good coverage so far judging from the closed captioning.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
The gently caress happened to Tony's car? It's just falling back.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

iwentdoodie posted:

The gently caress happened to Tony's car? It's just falling back.

Im at Turn 2, crowd is not happy

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

VikingSkull posted:

I think kidc and I are the only two that don't, honestly

I think this year is good and cool!

Also these classic races I've been watching are pretty loving awesome too.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
So can they just call this and give it to Kyle? How the gently caress is he just THAT much faster

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

No idea, no idea at all *does 5 minute burn out blowing all the tires and engine after lapping the field*

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Send rods through the block so they can't be weighed. Brilliant.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Boomer The Cannon posted:

No idea, no idea at all *does 5 minute burn out blowing all the tires and engine after lapping the field*

JGR #18 fails post-race inspection. $25,000 fine, crew chief probation, driver docked 6 points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
God dammit Tony

• Locked thread