Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Im playing the game again thanks to you Jade. And to make it harder installed a mod that doubles enemy pods.

Of course I also used Long War to increase my squad size to 8 to make up for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

AradoBalanga posted:

If that was the original idea for that weapon mod, my best guess as to why it got dropped is that slapping a silencer on a gatling gun would be too silly, even for X-COM.

What's so silly about suppressing a minigun?

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Well, as a bit of a 40K geek, I might go for 'Commissar' on Cain?

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
The best thing about faceless is when you trigger the cinematic camera on them. Since they're almost always right up by a solider, you usually get these really dramatic looking shots of this giant slimy thing looming ominously over some poor guy.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Shogeton posted:

We'd be better off with HEROOFTHEIMPERIUM, or as much of it can fit.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Jade Star posted:

How did that grenade even detonate on the underside of the ceiling?!

I would have expected the MEC to jump up to the roof to the left and attack with the mortar.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Shogeton posted:

With his trusty sidekick JOR-GN drone. What it lacks in character it makes up for in usefulness!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Rewatching this episode, it sounds like stun lancers are the new chryssalids in terms of gameplay. No zombies, but a blindingly fast and suicidally aggressive melee unit that deals huge amounts of damage while not being particularly durable, forcing you to focus fire on it rather than the ranged enemies it screens.

Also, I think Alessandra has yet to land a single pistol shot all game. Might want to keep her heading down the sniper side. :v:

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I think Gift Horse is a good nickname. He carries all the medkits after all!

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Elth posted:

I think Gift Horse is a good nickname. He carries all the medkits after all!

just don't look in his mouth

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Cythereal posted:

Rewatching this episode, it sounds like stun lancers are the new chryssalids in terms of gameplay. No zombies, but a blindingly fast and suicidally aggressive melee unit that deals huge amounts of damage while not being particularly durable, forcing you to focus fire on it rather than the ranged enemies it screens.

Stun Lancers are the first in a line of units-who-melee, as XCOM 2 puts a bigger emphasis on that than EU/EW, and they are great. Unlike Chryssalids from EU/EW they also have some really great AI, they will move into and attack from cover with their sword so retaliation against them is harder; and they will also take shots with their rifle if they are out of range of the dash'n'slash.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Gridlocked posted:

Stun Lancers are the first in a line of units-who-melee, as XCOM 2 puts a bigger emphasis on that than EU/EW, and they are great. Unlike Chryssalids from EU/EW they also have some really great AI, they will move into and attack from cover with their sword so retaliation against them is harder; and they will also take shots with their rifle if they are out of range of the dash'n'slash.

Speaking of which, they also seem to have the aim of Thin Men.

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008
If losing a retaliation mission means you lose contact with that region, what happens if you only have one region and lose a retaliation mission there?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Sillyman posted:

If losing a retaliation mission means you lose contact with that region, what happens if you only have one region and lose a retaliation mission there?

i'm not sure, but we came very close to finding out

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Sillyman posted:

I think I'd just restart my game.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Gridlocked posted:

Unlike Chryssalids from EU/EW they also have some really great AI
I'll never forget that one time where I watched a stun lancer twirl up a two story building, past a few of my guys, only to smash through the skylight and into the building for a nice steaming crit kill on my entrenched sniper

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

AriadneThread posted:

just don't look in his mouth
Well, he hasn't seen the dentist in at least 20 years. It's like something out of the Big Book of British Smiles at this point.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
Jumping on the Gift Horse bandwagon.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Sillyman posted:

It just lowers your income. You can never lose your starting region.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
Is there a list of mods that would be good to install after playing through the vanilla game?

Godnnelg
Jun 25, 2013
I thought the Mimic beacons would be crap when I first played Xcom 2, then on a whim I just threw it out there as a last ditch effort since my last soldier didn't have a good shot on anyone and that's all I had.
That beacon saved my bacon, and I had 2 in inventory per mission from then on..
They are a good and Free Get out of a poo poo storm ticket, so long as you use them right.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

A Curvy Goonette posted:

Is there a list of mods that would be good to install after playing through the vanilla game?

Depends what you're looking for in a replay. Harder? Easier? A few tweaks? So many classes that you have no clue what anyone can do and who's broken in either direction?

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:

Bruceski posted:

Depends what you're looking for in a replay. Harder? Easier? A few tweaks? So many classes that you have no clue what anyone can do and who's broken in either direction?

Something that changes the base game but doesn't go to Long War levels of insane tweaking. I liked some of the things Long War did but it felt like they tried to do too much with one mod package and lost focus.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Aye Mimic beacons are insane.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Doubling down on Gift Horse for Caiaphas!

Also I forgot in XCOM 1, how soon did it take for terror missions to begin. Was it one month in like here? It seems like a lot more stuff ramps out the game in this version compared to the previous version.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Doubling down on Gift Horse for Caiaphas!

Also I forgot in XCOM 1, how soon did it take for terror missions to begin. Was it one month in like here? It seems like a lot more stuff ramps out the game in this version compared to the previous version.

Second month for vanilla. I think LW did some of their own tweaks - wasn't there a forced terror mission between Confounding Light and Gangplank just to gently caress with the player?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

A Curvy Goonette posted:

Something that changes the base game but doesn't go to Long War levels of insane tweaking. I liked some of the things Long War did but it felt like they tried to do too much with one mod package and lost focus.

I'd probably check the XCOM 2 thread and ask. Numerical Health, Evac All, and LW Toolbox are pretty nice just off the top of my head, though.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

That is not a Newfoundland. :mad:

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Yellow Labrador retriever

Newfoundland dog

Any questions?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Aerdan posted:

Newfoundland dog

Thank you :3:

White Coke
May 29, 2015
What about Obamacare?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Zoran posted:

That is not a Newfoundland. :mad:

I remembered that afterwards but I didn't want to open up Paint again v:shobon:v

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

Aerdan posted:

Newfoundland dog

Any questions?

Yeah, where's the dog? Is it behind the bear?

Is the guy we're nicknaming also the guy who got smacked by the Faceless? If so: Slapsgiving Horse

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Cythereal posted:

They are incredibly fast and, if they manage to knock someone unconscious, can make a mission hell. They don't come in the numbers like Lids did and can't turn unconscious soldiers into allies, so they don't quite have the same overall rank on the O-gently caress Meter.

monster on a stick posted:

Speaking of which, they also seem to have the aim of Thin Men.

Not even. Thin mints had ridiculous aim. Stun Lancers have the same aim as troopers with a small bonus for their melee attack.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Brainamp posted:

They are incredibly fast and, if they manage to knock someone unconscious, can make a mission hell.

Especially on an evac mission, where you're suddenly down 2 troopers instead of 1 (1 unconscious, 1 to carry them to the evac point).

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Godnnelg posted:

I thought the Mimic beacons would be crap when I first played Xcom 2, then on a whim I just threw it out there as a last ditch effort since my last soldier didn't have a good shot on anyone and that's all I had.
That beacon saved my bacon, and I had 2 in inventory per mission from then on..
They are a good and Free Get out of a poo poo storm ticket, so long as you use them right.

And they used to be even better.

Now, they can make a total shitstorm survivable, removing enough enemies from the equation to keep you in the fight.

Original flavor Mimic Beacons basically locked down the entire alien team for a turn.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

White Coke posted:

What about Obamacare?

Am I allowed to vote on my own character

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
He's a surly, kinda inherently repulsive person who somehow manages to carry exactly what you need to keep the team alive and pulls it out at just the right time? Are we sure Ciaphas Cain isn't "Actually Jurgen"? Or just "Jurgen".

Shinarato
Apr 22, 2013

Aerdan posted:

Newfoundland dog

Any questions?

Why does it have to be yellow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Cythereal posted:

Jade had issues pronouncing an Italian name. :v: Quick, someone submit a Finnish or Hungarian trooper!

Oh good, because he's going to have trouble with my soldier.....

• Locked thread