Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

binarysmurf posted:

Guys, Am I right in thinking that I can install the version of 10.11.6 that I just downloaded on any Mac that is currently supported? That is, there's no specific version for the Mac book Pro, or the iMac etc?

Yup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

binarysmurf posted:

Guys, Am I right in thinking that I can install the version of 10.11.6 that I just downloaded on any Mac that is currently supported? That is, there's no specific version for the Mac book Pro, or the iMac etc?

The only time there's a special version is when the Mac comes out after a dot release, e.g. 10.11.x on a brand new Mac after 10.11.x already came out for everyone else.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
This is about iOS but I can't don't a place for it:

My gmail account has just completely stopped automatically updating on my iPhone. It will get mail when I manually update it, but will no longer do it automatically.

My accounts are set to fetch every 15 minutes, and other accounts work. Any idea what's going on?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

PRADA SLUT posted:

This is about iOS but I can't don't a place for it:

My gmail account has just completely stopped automatically updating on my iPhone. It will get mail when I manually update it, but will no longer do it automatically.

My accounts are set to fetch every 15 minutes, and other accounts work. Any idea what's going on?

iOS thread is in Inspect Your Gadgets

That said, my phone has done this since the last major OS version :(
Auto fetch is unreliable as poo poo

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Bob Morales posted:

iOS thread is in Inspect Your Gadgets

That said, my phone has done this since the last major OS version :(
Auto fetch is unreliable as poo poo

Just adding in that my phone(s) have been doing this for years - I would love to be able to trust it to auto fetch Gmail but it's buggy as poo poo.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

MrChupon posted:

Just adding in that my phone(s) have been doing this for years - I would love to be able to trust it to auto fetch Gmail but it's buggy as poo poo.

My Exchange account is affected too

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Xpost from hackintosh thread... what would cause downloads from the app store to be basically dialup speeds on a 2013 rmbp? I have tried all the basic fixes like dns, rebooting, clearing caches, etc.

I am hardwired with an oem apple dongle and speed test shows 240mbit on this laptop.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So I was a loving idiot and turned on iCloud for my iBooks. Is there any way to turn it off without deleting all the stuff in it?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What do you guys rip DVD's with? Can't stand having physical media around.

I tried handbrake and the mp4 ended up having random blockiness/artifiacts. I've only done this before under Windows, I think I have a DVD drive in my old HP that I use for an emulator box so maybe I'll just use that.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

MakeMKV to get it off of the disc, and then usually Handbrake for encoding. It sounds like you just had your settings wrong. At the end of the day basically every converter is just a front-end for ffmpeg.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

I tried handbrake and the mp4 ended up having random blockiness/artifiacts. I've only done this before under Windows, I think I have a DVD drive in my old HP that I use for an emulator box so maybe I'll just use that.

I've noticed handbrake does that if you use the Normal preset instead of the High Profile preset for media that works better on the the High Profile.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Bob Morales posted:

New system security on El Capitan broke the way handbrake installs DeCSS. There's a workaround. I think it involves installing through Brew.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

revmoo posted:

Xpost from hackintosh thread... what would cause downloads from the app store to be basically dialup speeds on a 2013 rmbp? I have tried all the basic fixes like dns, rebooting, clearing caches, etc.

I am hardwired with an oem apple dongle and speed test shows 240mbit on this laptop.

Seriously wtf? It hasnt even done 200mb since I posted.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Looks like Apple has a routing issue atm. I tunneled through my work vpn and it is full speed now.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I use a Retina MBP at home and I take it to the office and use it at work. I use an old Apple Cinema Display (2560x1600) at home, and a landscape QHD monitor alongside a portrait 1920x1080 at the office. Does anyone know of an application that can remember where I want windows in each of the setups? I'm trying to find a way around having to reposition everything twice a day. Alternatively something that lets me save layouts of windows and snap to them quickly.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Anjow posted:

I use a Retina MBP at home and I take it to the office and use it at work. I use an old Apple Cinema Display (2560x1600) at home, and a landscape QHD monitor alongside a portrait 1920x1080 at the office. Does anyone know of an application that can remember where I want windows in each of the setups? I'm trying to find a way around having to reposition everything twice a day. Alternatively something that lets me save layouts of windows and snap to them quickly.

Slate or Stay

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Slate is dead. Use hammerspoon it can also do a lot more than window management and is actively maintained http://hammerspoon.org

For your thing this part of the API will help. You can trigger layouts on monitor config changes, even specific ones:
http://www.hammerspoon.org/docs/hs.screen.watcher.html

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Anyone know about getting EFI firmware updates to apply and not re-prompt you to install every time you run software update? I have an older MacBook Pro that works fine but keeps trying to apply the 2.7 update

I have tried:
Repairing disk permissions
SMC reset
Downloading the update directly from Apples support site
Booting in safe mode
Applying the update like 8 times
Installing another version of OS X (Yosemite vs El Cap) on another hard drive and trying to install the update from there

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
You're applying them when plugged into power right? The EFI updates won't install if you're unplugged.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

1997 posted:

You're applying them when plugged into power right? The EFI updates won't install if you're unplugged.

Yea it's plugged in

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

Slate or Stay

Doesn't Moom do this as well?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tuyop posted:

Doesn't Moom do this as well?

Not as far as remembering which desktop to use for multi-monitor setups. Moom will remember window sizes and positions, but not which desktop to use.

I'll have to give one of those others a try, since I'd like to have windows on certain desktops when using my rMBP standalone, and a different "default" for when I'm rocking multi-monitor.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

flosofl posted:

Not as far as remembering which desktop to use for multi-monitor setups. Moom will remember window sizes and positions, but not which desktop to use.

I'll have to give one of those others a try, since I'd like to have windows on certain desktops when using my rMBP standalone, and a different "default" for when I'm rocking multi-monitor.

Moom's solution is to "save window layout snapshot" and then restore them each manually, which last I checked was more reliable than trying to watch for display events. They don't always straight connect, and they often disconnect/reconnect with different IDs than before which has been problematic for KWM and Hammerspoon in the past at least. I haven't tried New MacOS yet, it may handle that better. Or someone might've come up with the magic (and it might not be an issue for official Apple displays, I really don't remember all the details here or if anyone even tested with such a display).

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of monitors in portrait mode, is there a trick to using those in MacOS? I tried to run two monitors in El Cap, one in portrait, one in landscape - and the portrait one was a garbled mess. This is using a circa 2011 Mac Mini, one monitor connecting via HDMI and the other through the displayport.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

Speaking of monitors in portrait mode, is there a trick to using those in MacOS? I tried to run two monitors in El Cap, one in portrait, one in landscape - and the portrait one was a garbled mess. This is using a circa 2011 Mac Mini, one monitor connecting via HDMI and the other through the displayport.

I ran it on my iMac but the monitor I used wasn't very good so I ended up putting it back after a week or two.

What do you mean by a garbled mess? Can you reproduce it in a screenshot?

It sounds like you already have this part figured out:

You might have to hit ctrl-option when choosing 'Displays' from System Preferences

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Is it normal for "createinstallmedia" to hang for a ridiculous amount of time? No more data is being written to the disk if I look with Get Info. Activity monitor shows nothing either.

I'm not sure what's going on but I need to reinstall ElCap on a laptop fairly urgently

Edit: Can't do recovery via internet because WPA2 enterprise.

Edit 2: I am just an impatient oval office. nm

thehustler fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jul 28, 2016

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

I ran it on my iMac but the monitor I used wasn't very good so I ended up putting it back after a week or two.

What do you mean by a garbled mess? Can you reproduce it in a screenshot?

It sounds like you already have this part figured out:

You might have to hit ctrl-option when choosing 'Displays' from System Preferences

That computer isn't currently hooked up so I can't produce a screenshot, but it looks like a bunch of noise, lots of lines of resolution twisted out of shape. Imagine a video card freaking out.

It might be a limitation of my 5 year old Mac Mini. I just tried it with my work monitor on my MBP and it worked fine. Odd.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Krispy Kareem posted:

That computer isn't currently hooked up so I can't produce a screenshot, but it looks like a bunch of noise, lots of lines of resolution twisted out of shape. Imagine a video card freaking out.

It might be a limitation of my 5 year old Mac Mini. I just tried it with my work monitor on my MBP and it worked fine. Odd.
Same cables? Also kinda curious if it goes away if you try at a lower resolution on one or the other or both.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Can anyone speak to the quality of running a 27" 4k monitor at scaled modes other than 2x (virtual 1080p)? Is the pixel density too low for the seamless scaling to look nice, like it does on Apple's retina displays?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

cbirdsong posted:

Can anyone speak to the quality of running a 27" 4k monitor at scaled modes other than 2x (virtual 1080p)? Is the pixel density too low for the seamless scaling to look nice, like it does on Apple's retina displays?

I run mine at 2560 x 1440 to match my non-4K secondary display. Looks great. Not quite as good as the 5k iMac, of course, but still very nice.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
So, ever since Safari got updated to 9.1.2 a few days ago, I've run into an odd problem: I can't play videos anymore.

I just get a black box and no option to play any video, whether it's on Youtube or any other site. (After a bit of trial and error with my extensions, it seems to be Click to Plugin that was causing the issue, but that's extremely odd)

Since un-enabling the plugin, I can play videos again but I'd still like to see if I can figure out why 9.1.2 broke it if possible. (Or who knows, perhaps it's just not needed anymore and maybe it's just an outdated program)

Well, this seems to be a more pressing problem, but a new problem is that Safari seems to be running slowly, even though I've reset it a few times now. Just like a small delay in getting clicks to register on sites, etc but again, not sure why that's started up. I'll keep an eye out to see if this is a problem for those on a slightly older OS like Mavericks is now.

Seiyal fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 30, 2016

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How do I get my wifi networks to sync between OS X and iOS? I think they used to, but on my computer I went and deleted every wifi network that was saved just to clear out the list and start fresh and now my iPhone will auto join some networks that my MBP won't (because it doesn't know about it).

e: What's the best content/ad blocker for Safari?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Heads up to anyone who might use All2MP3 to convert FLAC to mp3s - the 'new version' of the software is exactly the same as the old version with the same bugs, except with spyware and adware that grants itself root access! fun times!

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

How do I get my wifi networks to sync between OS X and iOS? I think they used to, but on my computer I went and deleted every wifi network that was saved just to clear out the list and start fresh and now my iPhone will auto join some networks that my MBP won't (because it doesn't know about it).

e: What's the best content/ad blocker for Safari?

I think you need iCloud Keychain turned on for that to work but don't quote me on that.

As for ad blockers, people seem to rave about 1Blocker for some reason but I've been trying it the past few weeks (both iOS and Mac) and it's been pretty disappointing IMO. I'll probably go back to uBlock even though it hasn't been updated in forever, unless someone else has a good suggestion...

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Choadmaster posted:

I think you need iButt Keychain turned on for that to work but don't quote me on that.

As for ad blockers, people seem to rave about 1Blocker for some reason but I've been trying it the past few weeks (both iOS and Mac) and it's been pretty disappointing IMO. I'll probably go back to uBlock even though it hasn't been updated in forever, unless someone else has a good suggestion...

1Blocker is good on iOS, but a wet fart on macOS compared to something like uBlock.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

DigitalRaven posted:

1Blocker is good on iOS, but a wet fart on macOS compared to something like uBlock.

I'm seeing shitloads of ads now on iOS though, so I'm not convinced there either.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah 1blocker stopped working for me on iOS. I installed something else and it was far too aggressive and stopped a bunch of sites and links working entirely. It seems to be a waste of time.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Is it a recent thing that the computer I'm operating now shows up in the 'Devices' section of the finder? I don't remember it ever seeing it there and don't have anything enabled in the Sharing settings. Maybe I just had the Devices section hidden forever and somehow unchecked it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DigitalRaven posted:

While the rules list will keep being updated as long as the 3rd party lists are, uBlock on OS X is no longer being worked on last I heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

flosofl posted:

While the rules list will keep being updated as long as the 3rd party lists are, uBlock on OS X is no longer being worked on last I heard.

uBlock for Safari isn't, as far as I know, but uBlock Origin for Chrome and Firefox still is