Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I never put salt on anything, just because it never crosses my mind to do so. My dad had pretty bad hypertension when I was younger, so we all went on a low-salt diet with him for whatever reason, so I'm pretty much used to it. My wife, on the other hand, puts a ton of salt in everything, even if it's salted during cooking, and she thinks I'm the crazy one. Maybe the answer, like always, is in the middle???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I think a lot of customers of chain restaurants/diners etc expect to season their own food, so the cooks don't. Like if you go to beef o bradys or something and try to eat a french fry as it is, it's going to be pretty bland and you have to salt it yourself. They are probably sick of picky eaters complaining their food is "too spicy" because you sprinkled a little pepper on it so they went into "here's the cooked food, do whatever to it i don't care" mode.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Murphy Brownback posted:

I think a lot of customers of chain restaurants/diners etc expect to season their own food, so the cooks don't. Like if you go to beef o bradys or something and try to eat a french fry as it is, it's going to be pretty bland and you have to salt it yourself. They are probably sick of picky eaters complaining their food is "too spicy" because you sprinkled a little pepper on it so they went into "here's the cooked food, do whatever to it i don't care" mode.

I'm also convinced this is true, but, like you said, for chain restaurants.

If you go to nice restaurants, there's usually no salt or pepper on the table because you're supposed to enjoy it how the chef/cooks prepared it. Apparently (according to my buddy who is a sous chef) it's somewhat insulting to the chef; basically saying that what he prepared isn't seasoned or tasty enough.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Magic Hate Ball posted:

NO

PIZZA

RULES!!!!

:nsacloud:

(via)

"cum lips"

Loving this. Totally would, also the name is rad af.

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!

JohnnyCanuck posted:

well, if we're reposting the classics,

Chickeb nuggests and chips. This typo has been at every single branch of this cafe for years now and it never ceases to make me laugh.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mng posted:

We got a hot one right off the presses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfvHFpqEmrM

This lady is inspiring me to just do stuff in the kitchen. I hope you're still reading this thread, meatloaf princess!

Are we good naturedly making fun of Meatloaf Princess, or are we just being mean? She seems to be on the spectrum and I don't wish to mock the handicapped. :smith:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

LifeSunDeath posted:

Loving this. Totally would, also the name is rad af.

GERMAN SAUSAGE OVERLOAD

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

BraveUlysses posted:

GERMAN SAUSAGE OVERLOAD

I SWEAR! Shwarma is the jam.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

whiteyfats posted:

Are we good naturedly making fun of Meatloaf Princess, or are we just being mean? She seems to be on the spectrum and I don't wish to mock the handicapped. :smith:

Typically it's best to assume good faith. I genuinely like her quirky videos.

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

whiteyfats posted:

She does weird, creative poo poo with food in ways I would never think of, and it's hilarious to watch. It's laughing with her, not at her, as she does goofy poo poo with food and has a good time. Chill.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Her food is a treasure

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Kobold eBooks posted:

Typically it's best to assume good faith. I genuinely like her quirky videos.

Goons usually go full dogpile if it's a hate brigade, or if it's an ironic enjoyment thing. If there's a few posts, mostly positive, you can safely assume most people enjoy what's being shown unironically.

E: or aren't yet watching, in my case.

Autumn Angel
Jan 18, 2014

I legitimately like Meatloaf Princess. To a certain degree, she reminds me of when I started cooking. And I think her weird dresses look comfortable.

I like her eanestness to try weird ingredients. Good for her, I hope she cooks a lot of good food she likes! After all the goal of cooking is to cook food that tastes good to you. If other people don't like our food, gently caress 'em.

Autumn Angel
Jan 18, 2014

Here is an actually good recipe to makeup for that:

Put a chuck roast (3-4 lbs) in a crock pot
About 10 pepperoncini peppers
1 tablespoon of Italian Spice (you can find it at your supermarket, or mix it yourself it you're a pretentous hipster/wanker)
8 oz dark beer, like a Porter
~1 cup of Chicken Broth
salt: whatever tastes good to you

Please sear the meat for a few minutes per side before putting in the Pot. Otherewise, let cook for 8-10 hours and enjoy!

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

FFT posted:

also ramen with pace and sriracha, but this time with steak

and more water for the "broth" so it's not so damned salty

:c00l::hf::c00l:

Went with Sriracha and sardines + an egg.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

I'm starting to feel we need a ramen intervention itt

At least buy the spicy korean stuff

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

NLJP posted:

I live in rural Tennessee. I'm honestly surprised I can find Sriracha.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Zipperelli. posted:

If you go to nice restaurants, there's usually no salt or pepper on the table because you're supposed to enjoy it how the chef/cooks prepared it. Apparently (according to my buddy who is a sous chef) it's somewhat insulting to the chef; basically saying that what he prepared isn't seasoned or tasty enough.
Anyone who's insulted by someone putting condiments on the food they cooked needs to get the gently caress over it or stop cooking for others. Different people have different tastes and preferences, that is not an insult, you giant baby.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

NLJP posted:

shin black for life

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

Anyone who's insulted by someone putting condiments on the food they cooked needs to get the gently caress over it or stop cooking for others. Different people have different tastes and preferences, that is not an insult, you giant baby.

are you the fucker who embarasses the whole table by asking for ketchup at a nice resteraunt

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Tiggum posted:

Conversely, if I cook something for you and you smother it in salt or pepper or ketchup without taking at least one bite of the dish as it was served I will kneecap you.

invisible jerk
Jul 29, 2013
branding

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Pomp posted:

are you the fucker who embarasses the whole table by asking for ketchup at a nice resteraunt
Pretty much the opposite. I rarely even add salt or pepper to anything. I have cooked lasagne for a friend who immediately put tomato sauce on it though, and if I cook for him again I'll make sure the bottle's on the table right from the start, because if that's how he likes it then who am I to stop him?

cyberia posted:

Conversely, if I cook something for you and you smother it in salt or pepper or ketchup without taking at least one bite of the dish as it was served I will kneecap you.
I can't imagine caring about this. Someone likes different flavours to you? Oh, what an insult! Do you fly into a rage when someone wears clothes you don't like?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Titus Sardonicus posted:

I never put salt on anything, just because it never crosses my mind to do so. My dad had pretty bad hypertension when I was younger, so we all went on a low-salt diet with him for whatever reason, so I'm pretty much used to it. My wife, on the other hand, puts a ton of salt in everything, even if it's salted during cooking, and she thinks I'm the crazy one. Maybe the answer, like always, is in the middle???

No, no I'm pretty sure you're the crazy one here

Zipperelli. posted:

Apparently (according to my buddy who is a sous chef) it's somewhat insulting to the chef; basically saying that what he prepared isn't seasoned or tasty enough.

I've heard this a lot, but I've yet to ever meet anybody who's actually offended by that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You should at least try it as intended. How would you know you want to add salt or whatever if you didn't do that, anyway?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Grand Fromage posted:

You should at least try it as intended. How would you know you want to add salt or whatever if you didn't do that, anyway?

Who said anything about not tasting it first?

e: okay, cyberia did, but that was apropos of nothing

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Maybe I've tried i before? Maybe I just know I like a lot of salt on my food? Maybe I just literally never eat anything without tomato sauce on it? Who cares?

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Wanamingo posted:

I've heard this a lot, but I've yet to ever meet anybody who's actually offended by that.

Same. Again, this was something relayed to me by a sous chef friend. The closest I've come to working in a kitchen is bartending (or Pizza Hut as my first job when I was 16).

Personally, I've never felt the need to add additional salt to dishes at restaurants. Usually the food is good as is.

Now when my wife cooks though...

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

And yet a blended pikachu is more appetizing than the terrible thoughts of what Tiggum puts on his food.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Tiggum posted:

I can't imagine caring about this. Someone likes different flavours to you? Oh, what an insult! Do you fly into a rage when someone wears clothes you don't like?

If I'd made the clothes for him, and he altered them in front of me before wearing them, yeah I'd be a bit put out

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

My dad was quite excited about this buffet he found. The feet of two kinds of animals floating in sauce!

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

Totally would.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Domino's is gross

Wouldn't.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
6 dollars for a whopping four chicken wings is loving criminal, and rebranding a common way of serving them makes me grumpy

Pomp has a new favorite as of 10:26 on Jul 27, 2016

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010
Kilo joules? What the gently caress? I have never seen nutritional information advertised as something other than Calories or kcals. Where is that from?

e: I zoomed in for any identifying info and all I found was "The adult daily recommend energy intake is 8700 KJ." This is mystifying

Xen Tricks has a new favorite as of 10:21 on Jul 27, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Calories seem to be the preference in imperial system using places. Kilojoules for metric.

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

Calories seem to be the preference in imperial system using places. Kilojoules for metric.

Really? From where? Most food I've bought that's import with the original local packaging is still in kcal

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Stuff in Australia/nz is usually listed in Kj. Its not a huge inconvenience though, its just a 4x to get from cals to kj.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Xen Tricks posted:

Really? From where? Most food I've bought that's import with the original local packaging is still in kcal

I'm in Australia and I've never paid any attention to it before, but I just checked a few packages of things I have in the house and everything had KJ, with some things also listing calories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
literally every nutritional sticker here has both kJ and kCal information. Hardly a big deal.

Anyway, have you people never heard of chicken lollipops? It's a well established culinary term.