Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Angry Diplomat posted:

become freakishly strong by getting mad at valuable skillbooks and ripping them in half.

Hmmm. Well played, Rocketcat. Well played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

madjackmcmad posted:

At this point I'll do anything for more conscious hours, but yeah I get your point.

The dude said he leveled up to 25,

How long did that take?

Anyway this isn't me saying anyone is bad for not buying a videos game. I get how the world works. It's just a self-indulgent lament that games entertainment to dollar ratio is so high, and people will spend 8 dollars to connect to in-flight wifi for 90 minutes and then use that time to give a game they played for 10 hours 1 star because it asked for a 2 dollar IAP.
For some reason people just don't want to pay any money for mobile apps. I guess the fact that they're just digital downloads instead of discs you have to go buy from a store makes them feel less real to people, so they don't feel like they're worth the money.

I know personally I'm way more willing to pay $10 for some random crap in person than I am to spend $1 on a digital purchase.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Thanks for the canadaposts, I'm sold

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

For some reason people just don't want to pay any money for mobile apps. I guess the fact that they're just digital downloads instead of discs you have to go buy from a store makes them feel less real to people, so they don't feel like they're worth the money.

I know personally I'm way more willing to pay $10 for some random crap in person than I am to spend $1 on a digital purchase.

Agreed. Steam's business model is doomed.

More seriously, the problem is freemium crap. It has trained me to try before buying in case the app is horrible (and 90% of the time it IS horrible), so I rarely buy premium games that are not ports of things I already know I enjoy.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Playing death road to canada I think its cool you discover peoples traits after theyre with you. Its in lots of survival games but only as a plot device than a game mechanic

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Apparently dying at the same instant you destroy the core counts as a complete loss in Cryptark, rather than just counting the cost of the exploded exo against the reward. :argh:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I beat Death Road to Canada and it glitched right after I finished the last level :( At least it registered the win and unlocked the gimmick modes.

The last few sieges at the Canadian border are absolute insanity. I must have blown through 500 rounds of assorted ammo keeping my motley band of rear end in a top hat psychopaths alive. That last level though, holy poo poo :allears:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Irony.or.Death posted:

It might take a little digging to find in a given city, but I bet you could arrange an amateur back alley sort of dick-punching pretty cheap. You'd only be paying an exorbitant sum if you wanted a more professional service than what Zaodai can provide.

What I lack in professionalism, I make up for in lack of professionalism.

But if add-on content is your bag, for an extra 50 cents I'll roll my hands in glue and broken glass like Bloodsport before the punch.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
:getin:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I wasn't sold on the Qud graphics before but that looks amazing.

I mean, except for still being oblong instead of square, but IIRC there was no reasonable way to fix that?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I wasn't sold on the Qud graphics before but that looks amazing.

I mean, except for still being oblong instead of square, but IIRC there was no reasonable way to fix that?

No, at least not until the ui elements and gameplay board are completely divorced. Which will eventually happen, and then people can make a square tileset mod if they want.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

I feel like the fire/smoke should be slower ("chunkier" movement?), but I'm really liking the animation!

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Decided to go for Death Road to Canada after reading the reviews here. It's plenty fun, but definitely random chance can be a real pain with regards to events.

Still, mowing through waves of zombies in order to get that important can of food/gas never gets old.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I die in a seige around 8 days to canada every game. I got the muscle man that was a bit of a trick.

editor
Feb 4, 2007
help how do i qud

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

editor posted:

help how do i qud

What do you wanna know

editor
Feb 4, 2007
there's a lot of binds and i don't know where i'm going

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

editor posted:

there's a lot of binds and i don't know where i'm going

The most important is the zoom in/ out map one which I cant remember at the moment.

In the start town rob from all the chests by closing the door behind you, thene find argyve and give him any artifacts you got and follow his quest. I think it takes you to the east to get wires. Dont go north yet.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

madjackmcmad posted:

Hmmm. Well played, Rocketcat. Well played.

The most Dungeonmansiest moment I had in Death Road to Canada was probably when the group encountered an angry moose, and I decided that our megaswole beefmans should wrestle it because I literally cannot imagine a stupider course of action and wanted to see how it turned out. Somehow she defeated the drat thing, but because her strength and morale were already maxed out and could derive no further benefit, the game just gave me a snide paragraph about how absolutely pointless that whole sequence of events was and how nobody gained anything and the moose went away in a huff, good job I guess. It was all very tongue-in-cheek and self-aware.

It reminded me a little of the snark-off you have with Mazzik the Grieving when you first encounter him, which is honestly some of the funniest writing I've ever seen in a video game. It's so delightfully petulant :allears:

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Anyone else playing the new Shiren the Wanderer game for Vita?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Isaac posted:

The most important is the zoom in/ out map one which I cant remember at the moment.

Are you thinking of ascend/descend, which are bound to < and >? In dungeons they're used for stairs, when on the surface you can press < to go to the world map.

Apart from that, talk to both the mayor and Argyve to get the starting quests. Argyve's is usually easier and gets you a useful item as a reward.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

editor posted:

help how do i qud

here is something you can't understand

HOW I QUD JUST KILL A MAN

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Tevery Best posted:

Goddamn it, thank you.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Tevery Best posted:

wowee :eyepop:

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

I had to actually play Death Road to Canada to hear the zombie groans and beep boops to realize it was the same Rocketcat games who made Punch Quest, which I played endlessly on my phone. Now, at last, they have finally gotten my money.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Qud is on sale. I finally gave in to temptation.

I guess it'll be a journey.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ToxicFrog posted:

Are you thinking of ascend/descend, which are bound to < and >? In dungeons they're used for stairs, when on the surface you can press < to go to the world map.

Apart from that, talk to both the mayor and Argyve to get the starting quests. Argyve's is usually easier and gets you a useful item as a reward.

Pretty sure you can also use + and -. Which is handy, because this is a numpad game.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

editor posted:

help how do i qud

Live and drink friend.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Deathstate question, as I've been playing it WAY too much lately - how does the Biomech Heart work when you're the eye? "Fires in a burst, does extra damage" - does this alter the damage of my lasers in any way? They're still firing normally as they're lasers, and....well, I'm curious.

Also, gambling - does that ever turn up items? What can you win from those? At this point I tend to avoid them due to not knowing if I could win anything good from 'em.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Deathstate question, as I've been playing it WAY too much lately - how does the Biomech Heart work when you're the eye? "Fires in a burst, does extra damage" - does this alter the damage of my lasers in any way? They're still firing normally as they're lasers, and....well, I'm curious.

Also, gambling - does that ever turn up items? What can you win from those? At this point I tend to avoid them due to not knowing if I could win anything good from 'em.

One time I got a thousand bucks from gambling, which I promptly spent like an idiot at the next shop that demands all your money for a random item (I got a potion :downs:)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Not sure about the heart, and the only reward I've seen from the random chests is more gold. Gold in general seems pretty jank, you gather up a lot for a handful of rewards on a run, compared to the majority of your gear that you get from bosses and chests. Or maybe I've just had spectacularly bad luck with stores :v:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
All you folks playing Death Road to Canada, always remember.

You must tell everyone to COOL IT

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
I was gonna win this one but... how do you say no to this??

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Mighty Dicktron posted:

All you folks playing Death Road to Canada, always remember.

You must tell everyone to COOL IT

Lol, I was wondering if they had taken that option out. I haven't had it come up on my list of choices.

Unormal posted:

I was gonna win this one but... how do you say no to this??

Oh drat!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

victrix posted:

Not sure about the heart, and the only reward I've seen from the random chests is more gold. Gold in general seems pretty jank, you gather up a lot for a handful of rewards on a run, compared to the majority of your gear that you get from bosses and chests. Or maybe I've just had spectacularly bad luck with stores :v:

I've bought a few organs/swords from stores, and I'll toss money their way for health pickups or health/speed potions, but they're nowhere near as reliable as boss monsters or chests for new loot. Which is fine....except on the last level when I'm packing 400$ and can't find anything to spend it on, thus wasting it. That's always a bummer!

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Can you recruit the alien in DRTC? One time I got his car, the second time I got his car but a bush blocked its path so it was just stuck on the map.

Also does anyone know what the hell is going on in the 4 robot men scenario? Its always really loving hard and they just make beeps when you talk to them. Nothing seems to happen if you find all of them. Im thinking maybe you need some skill to talk to them?

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Also sometimes good stuff happens when you tell people to COOL IT. Im gonna play a bit more tonight and try and see what stat lets you COOL IT most.

edit:

Didnt really get to the bottom of COOL IT. but i just got to canada for the first time and I think having a strong fit team is the best way to go. As long as theres 4 people swinging away it keeps the zombies away pretty well.

Isaac fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jul 29, 2016

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I owe a response because madjackmcmad is a Good Dev (TM) and discussing games is always cool :toot:

Helical Nightmares posted:

Bought and played Dead Shell to level 25.

I don't recommend it. It's not a roguelike and too simple for $3 on iOS.

madjackmcmad posted:

Allow me to be lovely sarcastic game dev for a moment: aaaauuuuuugggggh /cry

Three dollars is what a Red Bull costs, the one you drink stumbling downstairs to the fridge in the morning and you forget that you had 40 minutes later.

I'm going to quit gamedev and learn to draw hentai titties and make $9k a month on Patreon.

Let me clarify my criticism. There isn’t enough programming in Dead Shell that I would consider it a legitimate game. You tap on a space to reveal rooms constructed in a random dungeon. The goal is to uncover and tap on the exit as soon as possible. If there appears to be an enemy in your path, you can just by pass the enemy and tap on a room around it, even if it appears the enemy should block your path. The combat is simplistic “press enemy and watch enemy health and yours go down.” You have a choice of weapons (when you find them) but that really becomes less of a choice and more of “use the weapon you have ammo for”.

Really it’s not unlike a cookie clicker.

I remember the game Drug War for the TI-84. That is a good game and is likely more complex than Dead Shell.
I don’t think it’s a game that’s worth a players time let alone $3. Especially when goon made Guild of Dungeoneering is a dollar more, and a good game you can sink hours into, for example Dungeonmans, is only $15 (BUY DUNGEONMANS)

madjackmcmad posted:

At this point I'll do anything for more conscious hours, but yeah I get your point.

The dude said he leveled up to 25,

How long did that take?

Anyway this isn't me saying anyone is bad for not buying a videos game. I get how the world works. It's just a self-indulgent lament that games entertainment to dollar ratio is so high, and people will spend 8 dollars to connect to in-flight wifi for 90 minutes and then use that time to give a game they played for 10 hours 1 star because it asked for a 2 dollar IAP.

I totally agree that consumers have an unreasonable desire for crazy cheap prices for iOS programs.

I also agree that programmers (in particular those who want to create worlds, the way most roguelikes are) get hosed financially by continuingly debugging/polishing their magnum opus, then seeing it earn pennies as most customers wait to purchase it when it is significantly marked down.

So I’m with you in spirit madjackmcmad. 

It took me 45 minutes to an hour and 15 minutes to get to level 25 maybe? My point is that I realized at level 7 that the programming was much simpler than I anticipated.

I got to level 25 to see if there was any endgame that would add challenge. At that point my boredom overcame my curiosity.

Also if I talk about a game positively I feel responsibility to make sure I know it’s entertaining for some fraction of reader to purchase sight unseen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

My personal hangup with phone games and the like is that I can't really justify spending money on any of them. There are games on Steam I've paid $5-10 for just to support the developer because I like the concept and I'll play it at some point.

But for a phone game? The controls tend to be poo poo (to me, it's not an objective complaint I know) and a bunch of 99 cent transactions or something bug me more than one big $15 transaction, and I just don't like spending money on my phone. It would have to be an EXCEPTIONALLY good game for me to justify actually dropping coin on it.

Some of it also comes down to perceived value. I'm probably not going to buy a $3 flash drive from next to the cash register, because I wouldn't put any faith in it. How good could a game be for $3 on my phone? And it'll have ads, or microtransactions, or randomly lock up my phone, or it'll scroll weird because I'm a lefty, or other stupid poo poo. In the impulse buy market, which is the market you're in at that price point and platform, people are going to judge you differently.